Start by marking “Anxious People: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Anxious People: A Novel

Anxious People: A Novel

A bank robber on the run locks himself in with an over-enthusiastic estate agent, two bitter IKEA-addicts, a pregnant woman, a suicidal multi-millionaire and a rabbit. In the end the robber gives up and lets everyone go, but when the police storm the apartment it is . . . empty.

In a series of dysfunctional testimonies after the event, the witnesses all tell their version
Expected publication: September 8th 2020 by Atria Books (first published April 25th 2019)

Start your review of Anxious People: A Novel
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come.

*Disclosure- I received an advanced manuscript from the publisher, but arcs aren't available just yet.
Warda
Dec 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This sounds bizarre and I’m here for it! Now that I’ve discovered Fredrik Backman, there’s no turning back.

Brittany
Dec 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
*anxiously waiting to read this book about anxious people*
Ariele
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ANXIOUS PEOPLE is another perfect example of why Fredrik Backman's writing is so magnificent. His characters are funny and complex and real, his stories are relatable yet fantastical and full of depth, and you can almost always guarantee there will be as many tears as there are laughs when you're lost in the pages of his good books. This novel is all of that and more, and longtime fans and new ones will be delighted to own this book in September 2020. I won't say more about the plot because it's ...more
Maria
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
THE KING IS BACK WITH ANOTHER GEM OF A STORY. Can’t wait for this!
Jodie Louise
Jan 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-asap, tbr-fiction
I would like this book in my hands right now please and thank you powers that be.
Alyssabedford
Dec 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
What on earth am I supposed to do with my life until the release date
Tanja Berg
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scandinavian, audio
I'm not sure what I'm deducting a star for - possibly that there was just a little too much touchy-feely insight. Nonetheless, since I had this as audio, I found myself wanting be out more and longer to listen.

Backman is in fine form here, when he delves into a failed robbery and subsequent hostage taking of a group of people at an apartment viewing. After the hostage situation has resolved itself, the robber is nowhere to be found. So what really happened?

We get to follow the odd set of
Kerry
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky to receive an advanced copy from the publisher! This book is remarkable! Loved it so much and couldn’t put it down!
Shivi Patel
Dec 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
ANOTHER BOOK BY FREDRIK BACKMAN?! I AM SO HERE FOR IT.
Brittany
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Leaving this here until the English translation is up. Thank you Main Street Books for the ARC, you are the best bookstore in the universe!]

My absolute favorite Backman yet to date!

I was a little nervous about the larger cast of characters (most of which were trapped in a room together), but Backman pulled it off wonderfully and delivered a sucker-punch of an ending. His writing is both warm and introspective, deep and silly. You'll cry a lot but you'll laugh a whole lot more. This book in
Kristen Beverly
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, so so good. Backman is one of those writers who for most of the book you’re thinking, “this is a good book. I like it.” But then you get to like the last 20 pages & you’re like sobbing, “this is the best book I’ve ever read in my life!” He always pulls all the pieces of the book together perfectly and has such a message of being kind and compassionate to other people, of tolerance, and being kind and compassionate to yourself. Loved it and will be recommending it to everyone.
Marcus Widén
The weakest of Backmans books in My opinion. I chuckled a little from time to time att some the jokes was rare and some of them felt flat. The serious moments and emotional moments was packed in this book. A bit to many for my taste.

The overall story was ok.

It dragged on for a bit towards the end.
Samuel
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5. I dont give it 5 cause it was but too jumpy and confusing at times

Only fredrik can but my feelings and thoughts into words.
Sarika
A fantastic read. Loved every single page.
LivThebooks
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
God I loved this book and its now one of my favorite books of all time. Its so poetic filled woth sadness and laughter. He writes all these characters so incredibly and simply human.
Berit Lundqvist
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Two and a half stars, rounded up.

Under translation. The English title is ”Anxious People”. Will be published in English during spring 2020.

A bunch of people, each of them with their individual traumas, are gathered together in a flat which is up for sale. A failed bank robber suddenly turns up, and take them as hostage.

Two cops, who happen to be father and son, arrive. But there is no bank robber to be found. In a series of very strange witness hearings, the two policemen try to find out. And
Dear Fredrik Backman,

I love you. In like a totally platonic way. But I still want to give you a big ole hug. Because the way you write is just so... Funny. Warm. Clever. Human. And it makes me happy. And sad. And snort with laughter. And feel like there's someone out there who gets it. The human condition.

So, this is a story about a bank robbery gone horribly wrong. Or maybe it's a story about a hostage situation. Or a bridge. Or making bad decisions. Or maybe it's a story about idiots.
Keeloca
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual score: 3,75.

I love Backman, because I love how his books are brimming with compassion, with belief in love, and the belief that we're (almost) all of us doing our best. It's a point of view I can get behind, and it is very, very soothing. However, in this novel the narrative is VERY often interrupted by long musings on the human condition and it gets a bit tiressome. The same thing happened, to a lesser degree, in You against us, and I am a somewhat concerned that this will keep
Nienor
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 50-60 pages were a bit difficult and I was starting to feel sad, because for the first time, I wasn't really enjoying a Backman book... But then everything changed, not sure if it was gradually or with a bang!, it just happened. And I was in awe once more, like I always am when I'm reading him.

He explores what it is to be human in such a relatable manner that it is impossible for one not to enjoy, shed a tear (or a hundred) and just take a minute to ponder about life, relationships,
Ida
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved all of Backman's previous books, this I only liked. The overall story was okay, but because of the many characters, taking almost an equal amount of space in the story, they weren't as "deep" and well described as in his other works.
To me, there was less humor and jokes, but other than that his writing style was the same. Maybe I would have liked it better, if I hadn't read his other books, and didn't have so high expectations. But this is hard not to, considering how Backman not
Marina H
I find it hard not liking Fredrik Backman's stories. Even though I wasn't feeling this from start and I felt the very ending dragged just a little I'm still rounding up and giving it 4 stars.

I will admit that this is not Backman's best novel, but he also has a lot to live up to.
This is a story aboout a bank robbery gone wrong, a group of people at an apartment viewing being held hostage and a bridge... ?
At first I found the story a bit confusing and it felt messy. Then 1/3 in I started to
Kelly
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backman is one of my favorite authors. His depiction of people - their thoughts and interpersonal relationships- is usually spellbinding. This book has been my least favorite of his. I found it hard to get into. That said, once I was about a third of the way into it, I was sucked in by the characters. It was a bit disjointed feeling and not as smooth to follow as other Backman books. But I would still recommend it - I laughed and cried. Just wasn’t as gripping as some other novels by him.
Elisabeth Heien
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Fredrik Backman is a literary genius, reading his books are like deep diving into the essence of what it means to be human,and you come away from his books utterly spent,with tears of laughter and of sorrow running down your cheeks. That being said,this book here is,although lovely and touching and all those Backman-y things, a bit too long,or detailed,or whatever. It could have done well with a little bit more editing . But,by all means,I totally loved it. Totally.
Tucker
Jan 18, 2020 marked it as not-released-tbr
OMG! You guys! Fredrik Backman wrote a book about me!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Elin
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this book oh so much - once I was halfway through it.

See, turns out it can be quite challenging for ones own mental health to have to read about all these people who just seem... entirely dysfunctional. But Backman knows about people, and what makes us human. It's not as snappy and to-the-point as many of his previous books but I reckon this might be his "best" book yet when it comes to what shapes us as humans, our relationships, emotions and hardships.
Raina
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, swedish
"People with Anxiety" was a little over the top but still characteristically Backman--I strongly identified with the story, I laughed, I cried, and I fell in love with the characters, all of whom are very memorable CHARACTERS. The theme of "nobody really knows what they're doing" and "we're all faking it until we make it" was really well written and played throughout. Not my absolute favorite book ever, but still a really entertaining and worthy read.
Mick
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not a bad book at all, but it is Backman's weakest so far, mainly because some of the big life decisions and life lessons feel a bit forced and over the top. This might be because of the sheer amount of bog moments and them being explained a bit too much, especially when the relatively short lenght is taken into consideration.
Mikaela (Booklover1974)
It took a while before the book got started but after one third of it I was hooked. Fredrik writes about anxiety in a very real way and you can tell it's from personal experience. I laughed and cried, which I always does with his books, and he hits you in the heart with all the love. If you read this book, don't miss the Author's note in the end.
Jenni
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
4.5 Stars!

After reading Beartown and Us Against You, I was hooked on this author. I started following him on Instagram and his posts crack me up so I had check this book out. I listened to the audio and the reader, Santino Fontana, did a phenomenal job! I think any parent, mom or dad, can relate to these stories. Definitely worth checking out for a good laugh and some serious sweetness.

• Skamvrån (Emma Sköld, #7)
  • Dotter saknad (Bergslagens blå, #1)
  • Henrys hemlighet (Martin Benner, #3)
  • Klubben
  • I fikonträdets skugga
  • Jag ser dig
  • Jag for ner till bror (Jana Kippo, #1)
  • Den extraordinära berättelsen om Jonas Paulssons plötsliga död
  • Resten av allt är vårt
  • Dan före dan
  • Den andra dödssynden (Det stora århundradet, #9)
  • Regnmannen: En trädgårdsberättelse
  • Vi for upp med mor (Jana Kippo, #2)
  • 1794
  • Se mig falla (Palma, #1)
  • Järtecken
  • Toktanten
  • Råttkungen
Fredrik Backman is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove (soon to be a major motion picture starring Tom Hanks), My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry, Britt-Marie Was Here, Beartown, Us Against You, as well as two novellas, And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer and The Deal of a Lifetime. Things My Son Needs to Know About the World, his first work ...more
“Det är en omöjlig sak för söner att förstå, och en skam för pappor att erkänna: att vi egentligen inte vill att våra barn vare sig ska följa sina drömmer eller gå i våra fotspår. Vi vill gå i deras fotspår, när de följer våra drömmar.” 2 likes
“Man älskar varandra tills man inte kan leva utan varandra. Inte ens om man slutar älska varandra en liten stund så kan man...leva utan varandra.” 1 likes