Start by marking “The Last Atlantean” as Want to Read:
The Last Atlantean

The Last Atlantean

"Watch, ye sons of the sea, your doom is at hand. With soundless storm rises the fate of Atlantis."

As a lighthouse keeper’s daughter, Hattie has always been able to handle anything the Atlantic throws at her. But when a stranger washes ashore in a storm, she finds herself unraveling a mystery that will change her life.

Caught up in a high-stakes game of intrigue and hidden
Kindle Edition
Published April 28th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Last Atlantean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Atlantean

Start your review of The Last Atlantean
Claire Banschbach
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, historical
So good!! Definitely my favorite so far by this author. Lyrical prose, in depth characters, compelling plots and amazing worldbuilding! Atlantis is so gorgeous and REAL!

Ahh! I just loved everything about this, kept turning pages and definitely kept me stressed. lol! Loved Hattie and Isurus, and 10/10 would die for Mokarran. Part political intrigue, part character driven story, and all epic.

I'm not putting together a very coherent review, but it's fabulous and reminds me of the stories that I l
Allison Tebo
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Emily Hayse really knows how to weave words together in a lyrical way, creating a flow of story that has the same moody and mesmerizing quality of a cold sea and dark, endless waves. I was left with a definite Rosemary Sutcliff feeling as I read through the pages of The Last Atlantean!

Hayse captured the regal and honor-filled Atlantean culture with its larger-than-life mythic quality well—and its juxtaposition to the homey, close-knit American community makes for an intriguing contrast.

A slow a
E.B. Dawson
At 50% I was not invested in the plot or characters so I skipped ahead to the last few chapters and didn't feel like I had missed much.

I bought the book because I previewed the opening and loved the atmosphere of it. And for the most part, that atmosphere remains through much of the book.

What I struggled with was the lack of tension. Isurus is a paragon character who we learn early on is the exiled king of Atlantis who intends to go back and reclaim his throne. Hattie is a simple Maine girl wh
Anne Rhys
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a good story. Vivid in all locations, and culture. Prepare to be sad.
Cheyenne
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am completely blown away by this book. The phrasing of the words, the world-building, the relationships—all of these are so beautiful and I found myself in tears many times reading, especially at the end. The world-building, the whole sea fantasy intrigued me, having always been partial to it, and it did not disappoint. And the characters, oh the characters! Isurus stole my heart and I love how he and Hattie compliment each other so well right from the opening. I regret I can't say more becaus ...more
Verity Buchanan
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My favorite read of 2020, all other favorites go home.

I don't even know where to start with The Last Atlantean. I'd like my review to do the book justice, but I don't think it can; I've never been one for long reviews and there's so much to talk about. Not to mention, I'm struggling between the two potential routes of keyboard smash fangirling and intense literary analysis.

It's just... some books do something to you. They touch you in a deep way, one you can't articulate or even define. I don't
Restless Isabelle
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
A moody atmospheric start to this read had me instantly hooked. With stormy seas, a lighthouse care takers earnest daughter and a mysterious man pulled from the sea I was settling in for what promised to be a decent read. And look the first 30% was promising but ultimately I found myself plodding along through the book waiting for Hattie, our MC to actually do something, anything.

Hattie just felt like such a passenger. Although we have political manoeuvring when we get to Atlantis she really co
Ejayen
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if I have words.
I was calmly reading it, until around the last 70 pages and then...
It was amazing. And tense. I almost couldn't read it for excitement.
Joellen
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-quest
Shrouded in myth and mystery, this story is a tale for the hero loving heart! The Last Atlantean is a mesmerizing ride alongside the strong, yet gentle Hattie as she journeys from the cozy coast of Maine, and through the dazzling, frightful sea to the opulent and regal Kingdom of Atlantis.
Jameson
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
The more historical fantasy I read, the more I fall in love with it, and The Last Atlantean has definitely earned a place among my favorites of the genre.

The story begins with Hattie Scrow and her close-knit community by the seaside. Emily Hayse conveys the atmosphere of the story so well, and the comparisons between Maine and Atlantis were perfect. Each setting has its own unique feel, and both are immersive and rich with just the right amount of detail.

The story moves quickly, taking Hattie fr
Erica Bennett
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Guys, this book is amazing.
I fell in love with Emily Hayse’s style when I read Seventh City, and this one doesn’t disappoint—in fact, I think it’s better. The whole story has a very distinctive tone that I can’t quite describe—the writing captures the small moments in a way that feels magical and dreamy and raw and *real.* The characters are complex and finely drawn, jumping off the page as if they are real and the author is merely recording their works.
The moment he appeared, I absolutely fel
Liz Koetsier
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story unfolds slowly. The author has a lovely voice. Old, ancient, lilting. It is song-like and gives it all a classical feeling. The moment I knew I liked Isarus was when he purchased the vanilla bottle for Hattie. There are little moments like this through-out that show this sweet, sacrificial husband and wife friendship. Once you reach the half-way point, the plot quickly becomes complex. The worldbuilding is breathtaking, and is easily it's greatest strength. I loved the idea of the Shar ...more
Michelle Bruhn
A slow-burn plot in a highly-immersive world. With both beautiful and harsh traditions, the culture of Atlantis drew me in even as Hattie entered it. The characters are complex, each with different beliefs and agendas. They felt very real, like their actions and words were spurred by pasts that the reader didn't necessarily know, and like I could sit down with any one of them and continue to get to know them beyond the world of the book. Masterfully done! ...more
Rae Graham
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of Emily's books so far! The world building is brilliant and the prose beautiful. I love Hattie's moxie and Isurus' devotion to both her and his people. Also Mokaran is the best friend ever . ...more
Heidi
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this book, guys. It made me cry.
Ashley Stangl
Mar 31, 2020
Evy
Apr 04, 2020

• Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Moonscript
  • Prince of Shadow and Ash (The Mercenary and the Mage, #1)
  • Emma
  • Hattie Ever After (Hattie, #2)
  • Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories
  • The Heir and the Spare
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Hattie Big Sky (Hattie, #1)
  • The King's Shadow
  • City of Villains (City of Villains, #1)
  • Fire Dancer
  • The Silver Branch
  • Slumber (The Fade, #1)
  • Victory
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • How Your Book Sells Itself (Marketing for Authors, #1)
EMILY HAYSE is a lover of log cabins, strong coffee, NASCAR, and the smell of old books. Her writing is fueled by good characters and a lifelong passion for storytelling. When she is not busy turning words into worlds, she can often be found baking, singing, or caring for one of the many dogs and horses in her life. She lives with her family in Michigan.