Start by marking “Miscreations: Gods, Monstrosities & Other Horrors” as Want to Read:
Miscreations: Gods, Monstrosities & Other Horrors

Miscreations: Gods, Monstrosities & Other Horrors

What happens when we make monsters? What happens when we make monsters of ourselves? Grotesque beings lurch from our darkest dreams. Vicious beasts stalk our twisted pasts. Lost souls haunt our deepest regrets. They are the blood on our hands. They are the obsessions in our heads. They are the vengeance in our hearts. They are Miscreations: Gods, Monstrosities & Other ...more
Published February 18th 2020 by Written Backwards

To ask other readers questions about Miscreations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miscreations

Start your review of Miscreations: Gods, Monstrosities & Other Horrors
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cemetery-dance
Originally published on Cemetery Dance
I clearly remember a debate that transpired last summer on social media about anthologies. An author wondered about the future of anthologies because it seemed to him they dont make any money. Several industry people weighed in with their strong opinions either in support of anthologies or against them (not really opposed to anthologies in general but speaking more about the profitability, or lack thereof).

Watching
Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney)
This book had me at the Forward by Alama Katsu. And if you don't read forwards? Yeah- you. I'm shaming you.

This anthology was far from one-note, with a wide range of Monstrosities from intimately real to the fantastical. I felt every emotion on the spectrum from favorite authors and authors new to me (that I will definitely be reading more from). I really can't pick favorites. I started to type them out and it ended up being almost half the book. Just read it and find out for yourself!
Angel Hench
My usual rating for a short story collection is ⭐⭐⭐. It seems there are always a few stellar stories, a few clunkers and then the middling rest. An obvious by-product of a work with lots of different authors, really.

But, you guys, THIS COLLECTION. The theme of this horror anthology is the Frankenstein mythos - monsters as our creations, our rescuers, our tormentors and ourselves. I will admit to:
actually getting the shivers,
to saying out loud, oh my god or ew more than once,
to side-eyeing the
Eva
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking forward to reading this anthology for a long time. And while "Gutted" is still the best Doug Murano anthology I've read, or rather, my favourite that I've read to do, "Miscreations" comes in at a close second. I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the work of the editors, Doug Murano and Michael Bailey, in seeing this project to fruition. They worked tirelessly and overcame many obstacles to make this happen so that readers could have this in their hands and to be ...more
Kevin L
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great collection! The writing is generally brilliant with wonderful turns of phrase and glimpses into the beauty of horror.

This collection also introduced me to several new writers that I had not read before and will now seek out their work.

Favorites in this collection:

A Heart Arrythmia Creeping into a Dark Room by Michael Wehunt - a very original story told in a fresh way.

Matryoshka by Joanna Parypinsky - Fantastic take on family and how it makes monsters.

Operations Other Than War by
Jamie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let it be known that 2019 was the year I fell in love with horror anthologies and began hoarding them on my shelves. In 2020, have no plans to slow my roll when it comes to this type of bookeach time I open an anthology Im not quite sure what Im going to get, and I enjoy the anticipation.  I love not only the fact that it means new stories from some of my favorites, but I also tend to discover new authors in the process. Before I can finish the book, Im often so enamored with a new-to-me author ...more
Alan Baxter
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding anthology with great variety and depth. Highly recommended.
Richard Leis
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
So this is what today's pro-level horror looks like.

Miscreations: Gods, Monstrosities & Other Horrors is one of the best anthologies I have ever read, made extra special with the inclusion of beautifully crafted dark poems by Linda D. Addison, Christina Sng, and Stephanie M. Wytovich. Of Addison's poem "One Day of Inside/Out," I thought at the end that I kinda want this to happen, even if I for some reason turn out to be one of those "living things with useless hands and feet, / writhing
Alex  Gray (gray__pages__616)
3.5 out of 5
So....heres the thing about my relationship with Anthologies. I always go into them with high expectations, and I really want to like them. I end up falling in love with some of the stories, but the majority of them will fall flat for me. Thus, I have not yet found an Anthology that really dazzled me.
Let me begin by saying that the writing in every single story blew me away, regardless of how I felt about the story overall. We have some truly talented, legendary writers in this
Allie Anne
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What we got here is a posse of talented mvther fvckers guiding you on a skeleton bobsled down an icy race track through realms of evil face down, head first, eyes wide as you white knuckle it to the very end. A gold medal in the horror anthology olympics. 🖤🥇
TheCrookedHouse
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, horror, owned
Not a bad anthology. With a total of 19 short stories and 4 poems, this book held a remarkable collection of narrative derived from the concept of miscreations through science, magic and the supernatural. It made me realize that, aside from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, I had very little in the way of this particular sub-genre, so this was definitely a welcome addition to my horror library.

It's not completely out of the realm of possibility to find collections like this to have lots of
Curtis
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great collection! I picked it up for the Barron, Malerman, and Campbell tales, but stuck around for the rest because they proved well-curated.

First off, Laird Barron is the man. He got me into "weird" horror and sent me down a rabbit hole with no end in sight. And with this new story, Ode To Joad The Toad, he's once again reaching newer, weirder heights. This tale felt like a glorious mix of Robert E. Howard and Jeff Vandermeer, but with the trademark snark only Barron can bring. I know many
Red Lagoe
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of short fiction. This is a curated collection of stories by authors I look up to.
I took my time with this anthology, reading a story or two a night. There's a lot of original storytelling and a variety of styles. It did not disappoint.

One of my favorites was Last Transformation by Malerman. What a fantastic and fresh take on a werewolf story.
Marie McWilliams
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This horror anthology is absolutely fantastic. Despite being given the same brief, every writer takes it in such a different and fascinating direction. My Highlights are Josh Malerman 'One Last Transformation', Brian Hodge 'Butcher's Blend' and 'The making of Asylum Ophelia' by Mercedes.M.Yardley. Head to my Booktube channel to hear my break down and review of each story!

Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This was an excellent anthology. I didn't skip a single story, and I was amazed by the diversity of the narratives, considering how narrow the theme is. If you like horror, this is the antho for you!
Brennan LaFaro
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Editors Doug Murano and Michael Bailey have now released Miscreations into the wild. The book started off in the hands of Night Worms customers in January, giving a whole lot of happy horror fans early access to what will surely be one of the most anticipated anthologies of 2020.
Murano and Bailey have talked about how much time and care goes into curating an anthology, and Miscreations has that care on display in every facet. The illustrations and title fonts fit the creating a monster theme
Aaron
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a digital copy for review early. I wanted to wait till it was out to post a review. This is an awesome book. A really great forward from Alma Katsu. This book explores the idea of being a monster. Some of the stories are actually really good either mentally or a bit more judicial in nature. I felt though that a few of the stories were a bit lacking and so I didnt feel like its a star studded book. Do check this book out! Pick it up even if your not a big monster fan!

@AaronFurq over
Chris Carroll
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
A pretty good horror anthology. Many more hits than misses.
MK-reads

• The Roo
  • Adam's Ladder
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
  • The Pale White
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • The Boatman's Daughter