Start by marking “Spacer and Rat” as Want to Read:
Spacer and Rat

Spacer and Rat

Jack knows who belongs out in the Black. And who doesn't -- until Kit comes walking into the pub and changes everything he believes about the Black, about the people who live there, about what it takes to be a human being. Margaret Bechard set out to write an adventure story with laser guns ad spaceships. Then, she says, "there was a big step and a long fall off a cliff wh ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Spacer and Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spacer and Rat

Sophia
...I wanted to like this book so much. Not so much because I liked the blurb, but because I really loved the title/cover and it looked like it should have been a badass sci-fi that brought up the question of what it truely means to be human. HOWEVER. It was really just a story made from a hodgepodge of "science-y" sounding words that really come off as annoying/childish. (That's so flash! = That's so awesome! After reading it over 50 times I almost wanted to strangle a fictional speedster that s ...more
Kathleen Townsend
Mar 13, 2017 Kathleen Townsend rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
I recently picked up a copy of an old library book at a used book sale. It had a minimalistic, but interesting looking cover, an author I wasn't familiar with, and title I'd never heard. So of course I picked it up immediately. Spacer and Rat by Margaret Bechard is a young adult science fiction novel that I am very happy I discovered by accident.

This book is a story about two teenagers living on a space station. Jack is a Spacer, a native of the space stations that dot the galaxy, whose aptitude
D K Greene
Dec 21, 2016 D K Greene rated it liked it
A quick, easy science fiction read. It was enjoyable for me, and I'm sure a younger reader would be enthralled. The description of deep open space was particularly beautiful and the characters were likeable.
Arminzerella
Speak to the Book
A great introductory science fiction work for young readers. I've been reading quite a lot of Laurie Halse Anderson lately in my journey through some popular YA books, and this book provided a nice break from the teenage existential angst with a plot geared toward younger readers. When I was growing up, I used to hear people rave about Margaret Bechard, and while I wasn't exactly blown away by this book, I can see the value for younger readers.

Not only does Spacer and Rat provide a great space
Adrienne
Jack is a Spacer. He lives on the space station Freedom and spends his time working in Gert's pub to save up credits for a new zip scooter and sometimes hanging out with his friends. But Jack's understanding of his world turns upside-down when he meets Kit, an Earthie fresh off the latest space freighter to dock at Freedom. Before he really knows what's happening, Jack is helping Kit escape the station and finding out that the things he thought he knew might not be true after all.

Margaret Bechar
Susan
Feb 17, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
This little sci-fi escapade zips and zaps out of the station with a refreshing cast of characters, a well-built future landscape, and plenty of surprises along the way, but unfortunately, runs out of fuel at the end. Still, it’s a solid tale with a lot of deeper meaning and plenty of action to keep readers hooked. Hopefully, it’ll lead younger readers to a galaxy of other science fiction greats.

Full review at my blog: http://splinteredfragmentsoflight.blo...
Becky Soledad
A little slow at the start but over all a fun sci-fi read. It took a little to long to get into the main plot of the story and some of the issues weren't fully resolved but if you can overlook those small issues it is a fairly good start to sci-fi. It could be a good gateway into bigger and better sci-fi for young readers. Definitely a young reader book so don't come looking for a sophisticated and complicated read.
Carlotta
Oct 28, 2011 Carlotta rated it liked it
Quick Read: A fun, short, and fast-paced work of unexpectedly original science fiction. Character-driven novels are my favorites, and this one definitely was, but the world building was concrete too. I was surprised by the depth of the characters - their resilience, humanity, and development. The spacer jargon and tech references were easy enough to follow, and fun to read. It’s a solid little story, with a quick plot and startling deep message lurking beneath.
Jessie
Jun 05, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Pretty good for a Sci Fi. Kudos to the author for not making it Dystopian!
The world building, though often vague, was really interesting. The story could have been longer, but all in all it was alright. It would be cool if Bechard made a sequel for Waldo.
My favorite part of this book was the interactive chessboard! I loved how the pieces yelled at each other. LOL
Freddie69
Mar 25, 2014 Freddie69 rated it liked it
Jack lives on the space station and he works in Gert's pub and he is a spacer, he work there because he needs to save to buy a scooter. one day jack meets kit, but he didnt knew him enough and didnt know what was happening, and jack was actually helping Kit escape the station and find out that things werent as he tought they were.
Jenny
Apr 22, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, sci-fi
Jack's predictable life on Freedom Station is turned upside down the moment he meets the Rat, Kit. He should turn her in to the company for wasting resources, yet he hides and abets her instead. Now Jack and Kit are on the run from the authorities, trying to protect Waldo, a sentient robot forbidden to exist, yet valuable for weapons research.
Jane
Jul 12, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
Blade Runner meets West Side Story? "Earthies" are scum to the "Spacers" who live above the unwashed masses on the pristine and preordained space stations. Gee, if only they could get to know each other, so many prejudices could fall by the wayside . . . Main characters are Jack, the Spacer, and Kit, the renegade Earthie protecting a sentient bot her father created.
Carolyn
Dec 30, 2014 Carolyn rated it liked it
I was expecting the action and adventure to continue longer than it did. I felt like the story came to a halt rather abruptly, and the ending seemed a bit cliche. However, I bought into the characters. An interesting take on a futuristic society.
bjneary
Jul 25, 2007 bjneary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SciFi teens
I am halfway through Space and Rat and even though I am not a sci fi reader, I love Jack and the world Bechard creates is believable,funky and faking out the powers that be. I want to keep on reading and finding out more about Kit, the earthie rat.
Brie Cheese
Jul 04, 2009 Brie Cheese rated it liked it
If you're into sci fi star wars type business, this book is all for you. Even if you aren't a total space lover it is still worth a look. It has got very intriguing characters and quite the twist at the end I thought.
Lake Villa District Library
Dec 21, 2016 Lake Villa District Library added it
Recommended to Lake Villa District Library by: Kelly
Find this book in our catalog http://ccsp.ent.sirsi.net/client/lvdl...
Sydney
Jul 11, 2012 Sydney rated it really liked it
I really didn't get the plot and it never really explained some of the dialogue.
Eva Mitnick
May 28, 2008 Eva Mitnick rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, science-fiction
Speedy, accessible, engrossing science fiction for kids and young teens - SO hard to find! This is a good one, and it has an excellent cover as well.
Melissa
Aug 25, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
I was probably predisposed to like this book because I'm currently in love with WALL-E. A short-and-sweet far-future space story.
Emily
Nov 08, 2010 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
this book was alright. it was a quick read, not too involved, and was slightly exciting at times. i couldn't get into the story just because the character's weren't that developed. meh.
Gabrielle
Dec 14, 2010 Gabrielle rated it liked it
I really liked the jargon used in this book. The plot was satisfying but I'd like to know what happens afterward.
Danielle
May 25, 2009 Danielle rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
YA Sci-Fi.
Karlen
Nov 13, 2009 Karlen rated it really liked it
Quick, easy read for an adult. Sucked me in enough that I kept reading past my bed time. Recommended for teen/pre-teens looking for age-appropriate sci fi.
Heather
May 14, 2012 Heather marked it as to-read
Recommended to Heather by: Tamora Pierce
Not completely convinced I want to read it. The reviews are mostly positive but also mostly only 3 stars.
Nate
Sep 09, 2011 Nate added it
Amazing so far, although I can't say the same for character develepment.
Lisa
Aug 05, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Short, a little too simple, but decent. I would read a sequel if it was just as short.
Mr. Steve
May 26, 2009 Mr. Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Robot, Robot! Science Fiction novel taking place in space in the future. Pretty good story, especially the parts that include robot interaction.
Kim B.
Feb 26, 2010 Kim B. rated it really liked it
I remember exactly nothing from this book.
Christal Esse
  • Miss Pinkerton
  • Changing Woman and Her Sisters: Stories of Goddesses from Around the World
  • Converting Kate
  • On Language
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • The Rattle-Rat
  • The Tamarack Tree
  • Evvy's Civil War
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • The ABCs of Handwriting Analysis: The Complete Guide to Techniques and Interpretations
  • Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • The Burning Time
Margaret Bechard is the author of five novels for younger readers, and one other young adult novel, IF IT DOESN'T KILL YOU, which SLJ praised for its "healthy dose of humor." She lives in Tigard, Oregon, with her family.
More about Margaret Bechard...