Start by marking “Unborn: A dystopian thriller” as Want to Read:
Unborn: A dystopian thriller

Unborn: A dystopian thriller

She killed her unborn child. The punishment will fit the crime.

America, 2026.
Feminism has been defeated.
Equality is a memory.
And abortion has been criminalized.

Three women find themselves on the wrong side of the law. Kate, carrying the child of a sexual predator. Grace, whose baby will be born with a fatal deformity. And Cindee: abused, abandoned and pregnant.

Kindle Edition
Expected publication: February 21st 2020 by Catawampus Press

To ask other readers questions about Unborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unborn

Start your review of Unborn: A dystopian thriller
Shalini
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A novel set in time when the laws had become archaic, where women’s rights were abolished and pro life rule made abortion illegal.

And caught in the headlights were 3 women. Grace who had a natural miscarriage but was arrested as the state deemed it to be an abortion. Kate was a hotshot lawyer who did ungergo medical abortion. And Cindee was pregnant but wanted an abortion. All three found themselves in prison for killing or trying to kill a life.

My fourth book by Rachel McLean, this was quite a
Beccy Thompson
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from TBC Reviewers request- Thank you
The year is 2026 and abortion has been criminalised. Three women find themselves on the wrong side of the law.
Kate, who is carrying the child of a sexual predator, Grace, whose baby will be born with a fatal deformity and Cindee, who has been abused and abandoned while pregnant. Their punishments will fit their crimes. Can all these very different women come together to fight an oppressive system and win their freedom back?
Wow
clare brack
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is not my usual genre...however I really enjoyed reading it...I had no idea that such laws exsisted in USA...I found it very emotive at times and felt for Kate Grace and Cindy who play main characters..
Tracey Jordan
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! What food for thought!
Reminds me very much of Jodi Picoult style who I also enjoy very much.
Characters that I really bonded with and rooted for. Really good!
Amanda Sayer
Shelves: 2020-books-read

The year states in the blurb that it is 2026, but this was not in the
Natasha du Plessis
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love reading Dystopian novels and I also enjoyed reading Unborn. The blurb refers to the time in which this novel is set and what has happened in the past. This is however not in the novel unless I read over it and missed it somehow. In the beginning we meet the ladies that has each committed her own crime under the new Moralities act that was passed. We get to know them and also what drove them to committing this 'crime'. All these treads come together in the second half of the book. I ...more
Linda Phillips
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unborn By Rachel McClean
I really enjoyed this book. I think it would be shocking to me if I wasn't Irish, abortion was illegal in this country until last year. During the referendum we were subjected to a very difficult campaign, which included distressing images being posted on lamp posts, billboards and even outside maternity hospitals. It was a worrying time to take children out for the day.
This book really hit the nail on the head, described living in this dystopian society very well, which
Natalie Lewis
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A dystopian novel, but given current events in the USA, it feel to me like it could be prophetic and soon a true story.
Abortion is outlawed completely. Women who have miscarriages are under suspicion of manslaughter.
Kate becomes unexpectedly pregnant and single, with a teenage daughter. She can’t have another baby. She’s a successful lawyer, and thinks no one will ever know if she visits an illegal clinic. She’s very wrong.
I enjoyed reading this book, but also felt a horror reading it, that
Jo
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a disturbing read. Never ever ever could you imagine power being stripped from women, choice being taken away and criminalized, women’s bodies being harvested for the good of society. Never. Can you? It was so well written because it was so very easy to see a slippery slope. Praying that this never becomes reality
Pam Chantrell
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Seriously messed up - an America which has gone back to traditional values of women as home makers and men as practical earners. Women have lost control over their bodies and abortion is punished by jail time. I read this with a sense of horror for the future and for some current societies. Well written.
Claire Cassidy
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic novel which kept the pages turning. Dark, well written and atmospheric - one of those books that asks - and answers well - “what if” questions.
Ellie Shepherd
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, hard topic around being imprisoned for having an abortion/miscarriage so not for everyone. Well written and tactfully constructed.
L.S.
Maca
  *Sock
Mackey
Feb 14, 2020

• Erotic Fiction?: So outrageously funny you'll laugh your knickers off.
  • Lock Me In
  • The Last Act of Adam Campbell
  • Ask Me No Questions (DS Kate Munro book 1)
  • Lake Child
  • When We Say Goodbye
  • The Dilemma
  • The Assistant
  • Snowdrops on Rosemary Lane
  • Snapshot
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Pretty Guilty Women
  • Avenge the Dead
  • The Nanny State Made Me: A Story of Britain and How to Save it
  • Keep the Doors Open: Lessons Learned from a Year of Foster Parenting
  • Dead Man's Prayer (DI Frank Farrell, #1)
  • Perfect Dead (DI Frank Farrell, #2)
  • The Other Wife
My name's Rachel McLean and I write thrillers that make you think.

What does that mean?

In short, I want my stories to make your pulse race and your brain tick.

Do you often get through a thriller at breakneck pace but are left with little sense of what the book was really about? Do you sometimes read literary fiction but just wish something would damn well happen?

My books aim to fill that gap.

Easy