Jump to ratings and reviews

Infinite

From bestselling author Brian Freeman comes an explosive new psychological thriller that pushes the limits of reality as we know it.

One rainy night, the unthinkable happens: Dylan Moran’s car plunges off the road into a raging river, his beautiful wife drowning as he struggles to shore.

In the aftermath, through his grief, Dylan experiences sudden, strange visions: wherever he goes, he’s haunted by glimpses of himself. Dylan initially chalks it up to trauma, but that changes when he runs into a psychiatrist who claims he’s her patient. She says he has been undergoing a unique hypnotherapy treatment built on the idea that with every choice, he creates an infinite number of parallel universes.

Now those parallel universes are unlocked—and Dylan’s doppelgänger has staked a claim to his world. Can Dylan use these alternate realities to get a second chance at the life that was stolen from him? Or will he lose himself…to himself?

328 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 1, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Brian Freeman

56 books2,530 followers
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian was also selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series, and his novel THE BOURNE EVOLUTION was named one of the Best Mysteries and Thrillers of 2020 by Kirkus.

Brian's seventh novel SPILLED BLOOD won the award for Best Hardcover Novel in the annual Thriller Awards given out by the International Thriller Writers organization, and his fifth novel THE BURYING PLACE was a finalist for the same award. His novel THE DEEP, DEEP SNOW was a finalist for the Edgar Award for Best Paperback Original.

His debut thriller, IMMORAL, won the Macavity Award for Best First Novel and was a nominee for the Edgar, Dagger, Anthony, and Barry Awards. IMMORAL was named an International Book of the Month, a distinction shared with authors such as Harlan Coben and Lisa Unger.

All of Brian's books are also available in audiobook editions. His novels THE BONE HOUSE and SEASON OF FEAR were both finalists for Best Audiobook of the Year in Thriller/Suspense.

For more information on Brian's books, visit his web site at bfreemanbooks.com or find him on Facebook at facebook.com/bfreemanfans or Twitter and Instagram (@bfreemanbooks).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
514 (4%)
1 star
217 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,083 reviews
Profile Image for NILTON TEIXEIRA.
760 reviews229 followers
February 27, 2021
I have no words to describe my disappointment.
I’m so upset that I can’t even think of writing a review.
As I said on one of my reading progress, the main character’s quest is repetitive and futile.
The storyline became confusing and predictable.
I’m not just upset. I’m furious!
Profile Image for Jean.
704 reviews20 followers
February 22, 2021
I chose Infinite from Amazon’s First Reads because, well, it’s by Brian Freeman, and I love his books. Infinite is different from anything he’s ever written. It felt like Twilight Zone meets The Wizard of Oz and I don’t know what else. Paranormal? Bizarre?

When we first meet Dylan Moran, he is a sopping wet, shivering mess. He’s just barely survived a near-drowning accident and is traumatized by the death of his wife. Now he wonders if he’s a suspect. I was hooked on this premise. However, the story went downhill from there for me. Freeman spun off into weird alternate realities that almost had me quitting this book. Granted, these theories are not Freeman’s own inventions; they’ve been around for decades. However, it was unexpected and not very enjoyable, if I’m being honest.

Yet, I was hooked. There was something about this character that made me want to find out what happens to him. His is a hard-luck story, a traumatic event in his childhood that has caused him to carry a lot of anger. Devastated by his wife’s death, he longs for redemption because, among other things, he failed to save her. He starts experiencing strange events. When he learns that he has a double, he is both bewildered and intrigued. This leads him to a psychiatrist, who offers him a therapy unlike no other. The results are unsettling.

For about half of the book, I was bored and perturbed by the repetition and futility of Dylan’s quest, I suppose. I was not connecting with the story at all, but something kept me reading. Eventually, it became less about the plot and more of a psychological thriller. What was Dylan really seeking? What would he find at the end of his journey?

The results were surprising.

3 stars
Profile Image for Deb.
305 reviews68 followers
March 5, 2021
What a ride!

This is the first book I've read by Brian Freeman and I loved it. Parallel worlds with similarities of Jack the ripper murders. The ending was hang on to your seat thrilling. I received this book courtesy of the author.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
45 reviews
January 19, 2021
Freeman does it again. Great characters, plot twists that all work seamlessly, excellent location details (this time Chicago). Totally kept me guessing until the end—no spoilers, but I’ll say it was the perfect way to wrap it all up.
Profile Image for Tim.
2,084 reviews192 followers
August 4, 2021
After a drawn out start this story picks up significantly to an excellent end. 8 of 10 stars
Profile Image for Ellie Midwood.
Author 34 books754 followers
February 12, 2021
I have just finished this masterpiece and honestly, I’m still speechless. “Infinite” is the ultimate what-the-heck-is-going-on book, where the line between reality and something perceived as reality is so blurred, you find yourself questioning everything. Is this one big messed-up dream? A new form of therapy that indeed allows one to jump between the worlds? Is Dylan dead? Is this the afterlife? Or just the mind of a man driven to madness with grief after losing his wife? I purposely read “Infinite” by sections because it was such a deliciously twisted read, I didn’t want it to end. Each day I couldn’t wait to get through my work just to reward myself with reading a few more chapters in the evening - yes, it was that good. I can go on and on but you’d better read it yourselves; I promise, it’ll be a mind-blowing experience!
Profile Image for TheMysteryMO (Mike O).
74 reviews16 followers
February 7, 2021
A new book from my favorite author that I knew was going to be very different from anything thing he’s ever written before. As I read it, the plot gave me a Blake Crouch vibe but as the thriller in it revved to full speed then it felt like JD Barker but in the end I knew it was the extraordinary author who I’ve called my favorite for over a dozen years now.

An Amazon First Reads selection, Infinite will give many readers the opportunity to read a Brian Freeman book for the first time. Some readers might pause and think it is too outlandish but I knew as I took the journey in this Chicago-based novel that his creative genius would be shining in the end.

I usually don’t love thrillers but when I do then typically it’s all about enjoying the literary popcorn and this one fills the appetite and then some!

Look forward to reader reviews for this one!
Profile Image for Valleri.
688 reviews15 followers
July 19, 2022
3.5 stars, rounded up.

I don't know where to start! How do I write a review that isn't spoiler-filled? I found Infinite to be heart-breaking, fascinating, and horrifying. AND it left me feeling as though I had fallen into a crazy rabbit hole! Welcome to “Many Worlds,” where parallel universes were created with each of Dylan's life choices. Twists and turns galore ensued with every choice he made. My only complaint is that it felt a little repetitive at times.
Profile Image for Albert Riehle.
497 reviews47 followers
February 6, 2021
If you're smart, you'll skip the rest of this review and immediately start reading this book. If you're still reading this I'll just assume that you don't like being told what to do and are reading this just to spite me.

I've been a fan of Brian Freeman's for a while now. I was lucky enough to catch on early and I've read all of the books in his Stride, Bolton and Easton Series. I've read his other stand-alone books and I read his first foray into the world of Jason Bourne. I've enjoyed every single book. Understandably, I enjoyed some more than others, but every one has been really good at the minimum. I reserve the right to change my mind once the afterglow from this book leaves me but I don't think I will. This is Brian Freeman's best work.

Freeman always sets up the reader for a few twists and turns and sometimes even a final flip that spins it all one final time, but this book felt like it took a while to set up. It was interesting right off the bat though so the plot propels the reader on until the point when the book takes on a fever-pace to it's conclusion. It's all well set-up. He's intricate with his detailing, but doesn't hide in the minutia. It's all there for you to see which makes it all the more special when waves his wand and pulls the rabbit from a hat we know for certain was empty just the moment before.

The protagonist is an interesting one. The anti-hero type of character has become so popular that it's getting to be cliche, but Freeman's Dylan Moran isn't an anti-hero. He's a flawed man. He's real. He isn't exactly likable though. He also isn't someone you'll dislike. He's just a guy. He's the everyman, flaws and all. And we're still not sure how we feel about him when Freeman sends him down the rabbit hole. That makes it even better, because we take the journey with him not really on his side, not really opposing him; and as we learn more and it all changes, it sets the hook that much more firmly when it happens.

So what is this story? It's not something I can describe without ruining the story for you and I will not do that, so I'll tell you it's a true psychological thriller in that it's packed with Freud and Jung as well as great action and hold-your-breath scenes that have you flipping pages fast enough to get a paper cut (Okay, I read it on my Kindle, so there's no danger of paper cuts but you get the point).

It had a very thorough, satisfying ending and was wrapped up nicely with some fun things to leave you wondering after it's done.

If I had to provide some criticism, I'd have to talk about the setting. This book is set in Chicago and in a lot of ways, it's great, real, authentic Chicago. A good chunk of this book takes place near River Park and I have a sibling who worked there for years. Freeman's descriptions took me right there. The areas he describes are less than 5-6 miles from where I call home in the city. He gets a lot right--as a native Chicagoan should. But he get some things wrong too and those things stuck out like elbows when I came across them.

He talks about and describes a 3-story apartment building and here in Chicago we call that a 3-flat. He has an old-timer talk about wanting a Chicago hot dog and a Budweiser, but I've never heard a Chicagoan order a Chicago hot dog and if they do, it's "Chicago-style." More important is that it's Vienna beef and that, sadly, didn't get a Chicago-shout-out. He has a Chicago cop who lives in Glenview when everyone here knows that Chicago Cops must live within the confines of the city--I live in a "cop neighborhood" so I know of what I speak. There are ways to get around it. Some cops own 3-flats here and list them as a primary address, while owning a home in the burbs but without an explanation, it would have been better to have the cop come from one of the cop neighborhoods in the city. Finally, I have never heard a native call it The Hancock Center. It's always either The Hancock or The Hancock Building. Hancock Center sounds like something they say on a tour of the building.

To someone who isn't from Chicago, you won't even notice these things. To those of us who are natives, each one was just a little tug of inauthenticity that could pull us out of the story. And they did pull me out, but the important thing was that there was so much else going on that it was instantaneous and I was able to get right back into it.

Look, I warned you at the start not to read this and if you've come all this way I hope now you're smart enough to do what I told you to do right off the bat. Read this book. It's an easy 4.5 stars for me and I'm rounding up to 5 for my official count. It's an easy book to recommend and I hope you'll read it. If you do, I know you'll enjoy it.
329 reviews1 follower
February 3, 2021
Boring, confusing,and repetitive. INFINITE was a drag to get through.

Boring, confusing, and repetitive. INFINITE was a drag to get through.

Although the clever and surprising end somewhat redeemed Brian Freeman's "thriller", INFINITE, it was an absolute slog to get there. I can say with absolute certainty, this is a book I did not enjoy reading.

I make it a point to NOT review books I haven't finished. I rarely start a book I even think about giving up on. Were I not planning to write a reveiw, I would have set Infinite aside, and never looked back. The story, up until the very end feels confusing, pointless and repetitive.

I cannot recommend INFINITE to anyone. I am certain I could have selected any other book available for February's FIRST READ, and enjoyed it more.

I read a lot of books. I write a lot of reviews. I don't write very many bad reviews. I like a wide range of genres. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing I liked about INFINITE except the very ending and the fact that I had finally reached it. This book was a real drag to read, populated by one main character, who is rather unlikable.
Profile Image for Теодор Панов.
Author 4 books126 followers
November 12, 2021
Първоначално този автор (Браян Фрийман) присъстваше в списъка ми за четене 2021 с книгата „Thief River Falls“ (Тъмна звезда – българското издание). При по-внимателно вглеждане в творчеството му обаче фокусът ми се измести към по-новата му книга „Infinite“ – с тематика, към която имам завидно по-голям интерес. И така тя замени първоначално планираната.

„Infinite“ се оказа приличен „sci-fi“ трилър и оправда повечето ми очаквания. В началото историята напомня силно на „Dark Matter“ на Блейк Крауч – има мултивселена, паралелни светове, появяват се загадъчни двойници на главния герой Dylan Moran, но приликите с другата книга свършват дотук. Скоро сюжетът поема в свое собствено направление, а към края пък вече посоката съвсем се променя и се оказва, че всъщност тези паралелни светове и двойници са съвсем друго нещо (за което вече се досещах) – но няма да казвам какво, че ще трябва да разваля цялата мистерия, на която е изградена историята. Накратко нещата съвсем не са такива, каквито първоначално изглеждат.

description

Откъм цялостна структура книгата е изградена добре – предлага интересна и интригуваща концепция за паралелните светове и мислите – Many Worlds, Many Minds, има динамика в действието, персонажите са ОК, атмосферата на Чикаго е наситена и поддържа трайно мрачно настроение през по-голямата си част.

Много добър представител на жанра трилър.

4.4

description
Profile Image for سعید سیمرغ.
Author 39 books124 followers
September 10, 2021
داستان جذاب و پر کششی بود. توی دویست صفحه اول البته عناصری داشت که خیلی کلیشه‌ای و پیش‌بینی پذیر بودن ولی در نهایت همه‌ی اون کلیشه‌ها در خدمت داستان قرار گرفتن. از پیچش آخر کتاب هم خوشم اومد.
Profile Image for Steven Mastroyin.
279 reviews1 follower
March 1, 2021
Here I was, finally ready to write this review.

I had my coffee, but it wasn't quite the same as I liked. But how did I like it? Did I know that I liked it? My mind drifted. Why was I here? Slowly I turned my head back to my computer screen, and I remembered.

I was here to write this review.

It was right here.

Being written.

All of the mistakes that led me to this point made me question whether I should be doing what I am doing right this second.

Should I do it?

I'm gonna do it.

If this writing style is for you then by all means enjoy this book. It is full of stream of consciousness like this and similarly two heads talking back and forth conversations which accomplish much the same thing. This might be fine if the narrative didn't go in exactly the direction you knew it would from the previous plot point before reading two pages of these types of histrionics.

This is a book for people who go to horror movies exclusively to yell at the screen about how dumb the teenagers are. Which, frankly, seems quite popular. Please enjoy it if that is your thing. It's definitely not mine.
Profile Image for Lani.
401 reviews
May 4, 2021
Having never read anything by Freeman before, I had no expectations. I simply saw "parallel universes" and "doppelgänger" on the inside jacket cover and I knew I would like this one. I loved the idea behind this concept of having multiple versions of your life based on choices and decisions in your life. Basically a Choose Your Own Adventure life. Or one of those RPG where you decide if your character is good or evil or somewhere in between. Because isn't that really how it works? Your choices define your personality, your existence. And Dylan Moran has had a traumatic past which could have sent him in a number of directions which he gets to discover after another traumatic event in his life.

Don't be put off by the idea that this hints at science fiction because this book is definitely more of a thriller. It was incredibly suspenseful and even when it was a little slow, it was still heading somewhere and my impatience kept me reading anyway! The ending crept up on me and was nice and twisty, just the way I like my thrillers.

Great book ~ one of my favorites so far this year.
Profile Image for Michelle.
105 reviews6 followers
February 3, 2021
I have a feeling this will be my book of the year. I love mind bending psychological thrillers that keep making you ask, “Wait, what just happened?” This book was quite a ride. Highly recommend.
Profile Image for Andreas Tornberg.
157 reviews10 followers
April 6, 2021
I have read several of Brian Freemans books but this might be his best. This is a mind bending psychological thriller where the line between reality and something perceived as reality is so blurred that you keep asking yourself what did just happened. It reminded me a lot of the books by Blake Crouch which also is a master at mind bending thrillers. I highly recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley, Brian Freeman and Thomas & Mercer for this ARC..
Profile Image for Inkspill.
380 reviews37 followers
February 23, 2021
It was the cover and intriguing title that caught my eye, and I just got this without reading the extract available as it was part of Amazon’s First Reads, where the blurb on the Amazon page set my expectations very high as it complemented the writing.

This isn’t a bad read for a drama that’s driven more by adrenaline than substance. I thought being made to see everything, and I mean everything, as I walked in the shoes of the main character – Dylan – slowed down the drama’s pacing. It also didn’t help that when the big build-ups revealed themselves, they weren't that surprising as I had guessed them pages or chapters before. However, underneath all this there’s an interesting premise of second chances, and the thrilling part had potential if I hadn’t found it so cheesy.
Profile Image for Bandit.
4,395 reviews441 followers
March 16, 2021
This turned out to be infinitely more fun than I expected, having never read the author. To be fair, I didn’t really read the description, just kind of got it on a whim, so I didn’t quite know what to expect and thought it would be yet another thriller, but Freeman took it one (or technically great many) steps further, into the quantum dimension.
It’s great, really, because it’s like getting something extra, a fun bonus. I kind of think of the quantum thriller genre or subgenre as Blake Crouch territory since he’s the one who’s been doing these great science fiction/thriller mash ups lately, but this novel has enough legs of its own to stand on.
The original idea here was to mix psychology and quantum physics, something one of the characters in the book specializes in, the Many Worlds, Many Minds theory. Since there may very well be infinite worlds out there, it means there might very well be infinites yous out there, each one leading a variant on your life, so why not find your best possible option? After all, given a choice, one should always choose the best possible scenario.
This concept might be intriguing for some, but for Dylan Moran, a man widowed recently and tragically, it’s positively irresistible. But what if he isn’t the only one with the same idea? In fact, what if he isn’t even the only Dylan Moran with the same idea? What if the scariest thing isn’t the unknowns but the man who wears your face?
So it’s that kind of an adventure, a multiworld doppelganger serial killer thriller with all the trimmings. It’s fast paced, exciting and comfortably reliant upon a genuinely potent emotional backbone to engage the readers on every level. The narrative is whatever the opposite of dense…light? At any rate it reads very quickly, which is a good thing, because you won’t want to put this one down. There’s great dialogue, actual character development and a location, Chicago, that positively comes alive in a you’re there kind of way.
Freeman’s been in the writing game for a while and it shows in that certain shiny finish and slickness of the novel, but in a good way. It’s a professional job all the way, but not soulless and it doesn’t pander.
In fact, the only possible detractor about this was the ending, which was kind of a narrative cheat in a way, right down to the gotcha last sentence. I won’t discuss it in detail to avoid giving away crucial plot material, but suffice it to say it kind of takes the easy way out in the end. I wanted more, blame it on Crouch. But that’s relatively minor comparing to the overall effect, really. And the overall effect here is overwhelmingly positive. It was certainly an excellent introduction to a new author for me. One I’d gladly read again. I don’t normally go for serials, but Freeman has some standalones too, considerately enough, so yey.
There are seemingly as many thrillers out there as there are quantum realities, but this is the smart choice. Very entertaining read. Recommended. Thanks Netgalley.

This and more at https://advancetheplot.weebly.com/
Profile Image for Donna Weber.
385 reviews91 followers
April 8, 2021
This is my first Brian Freeman book and will definitely not be my last! I'm still digesting... and getting my bearings on my OWN reality!

I left out a couple words to make sure I don't give anything away.

"Inside the lobby, I found myself mesmerized by the sculpture that dominated the space. Called Lucent, it was a globe formed by thousands of blue lights designed to emulate the stars of the night sky. With a mirrored ceiling above it and a black pool of water beneath, the endless reflections made me think of the parallel worlds... Somehow, I didn’t think that was an accident. Eve had picked this place for a reason, as if the artwork were the first step in opening a patient’s mind to limitless possibilities.

Possible Spoiler

finishing the... in quote from book:

....the endless reflections made me think of the parallel worlds in which I was caught.

Profile Image for هادی امینی.
Author 24 books82 followers
October 4, 2022
بالاخره بعد از مدتها تونستم یه کتاب رو تموم کنم. بالاخره.
و این کتاب....
عالی بود.
یه جاهایی اصلا نمیتونستم بذارمش زمین. ایده درجه یکی داشت. داستان رو خیلی قشنگ پیچوند و جلو برد. در هیچ جایی هم قابل پیش بینی نبود.
فقط پایان بندی کتاب رو با اینکه خوب بود، من دوست نداشتم. یعنی به سلیقه من نبود.
در مجموع اگر طرفدار تریلر و هیجان هستید، از دستش ندید.
در مورد ترجمه هم که وقتی سعید سیمرغ باشه نمیشه حرفی زد.
Profile Image for Linda Strong.
3,882 reviews1,627 followers
March 3, 2021
Dylan Moran has had a traumatic night. While driving, he and his wife were swept away in a torrent of water. Dylan managed to get out ... his wife did not.

The days following her death brought some unexplained experiences and strange visions. Wherever he goes, he catches sight of someone who looks exactly like himself. He thinks the trauma he's suffered is playing tricks on his mind ... until he meets a psychiatrist who says he's her patient .. and has been for a while. Dylan remembers nothing of this.

She explains to him that he was a kind of guinea pig undergoing hypnotherapy treatment based on the idea that with every choice he makes, he also creates an infinite number of parallel universes.

So what does his double want ... and how did he get to Dylan's world? If his wife is dead in this universe .. would she still be alive in another one? Does he really want to go there? Will his double allow him ?

Although well written, I just couldn't suspend my imagination to enjoy this one. The plot is a bit complex, and I had to re-read some sections at one point because it didn't make sense to me. The characters are deftly drawn, and as in most books, some I liked, some I didn't. The ending was a bit of a surprise.

Many thanks to the author / Thomas & Mercer / Netgalley for the digital copy of this science fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Deanne .
17 reviews
February 4, 2021
Eh. It was OK I guess.

I finished it so that counts for something. I read the synopsis and got the ebook, and sent the link to my other half to get the audio book because it sounds like something we'd both be interested in. After about 25% I told him not to bother.

What a DRAG. It was slow, repetitive and surprisingly predictable. The very very end part in the park was unnecessary though. Could have left out what she said, that was corny and ruined it for me.

It only made 2 stars because there were no obvious errors, I actually finished it and probably just under a quarter of it was actually quite good. If you go in with low expectations you might enjoy it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If I could access the many worlds, I'd find one where I didn't waste my time on this. Its a good job I have insomnia so I didn't have much else to do anyway.
Profile Image for Trisha.
4,534 reviews157 followers
March 12, 2021
“It’s about how we’re all part of an infinite number of parallel worlds. Every time we make a choice, a carbon copy of ourselves makes the opposite choice in a different universe.”

This was a great mystery type story. As the MC is running around trying to understand what's going on, it was easy to ride right along with him. As the world jumping begins, it's a bit more confusing. But it's a fast paced story, so it's easy to just race through and keep reading.

Good story and I liked the ending.
Profile Image for Micky Cox.
1,562 reviews16 followers
May 24, 2021
It's a psychological thriller, but it fell flat for me. While the concept was intriguing, the book just didn't get off the ground as I knew the entire time how it was going to end and I was correct. I absolutely love this author's other works, but for me this one was a dud.
Profile Image for Andreas Tornberg.
157 reviews10 followers
April 6, 2021

Thank you to NetGalley, Brian Freeman and Thomas & Mercer for this ARC..
Profile Image for Sunshine.
33 reviews10 followers
April 12, 2021
COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN

This is the first time that I have ever read about parallel universe. I was quite excited about this one and it hasn't dissapointed me one bit. Finished it in one sitting, I was at edge of my seat while reading it so many twist and turns. Story went at perfect pace, there wasn't anything at all that I didn't like about this book. I figured out the ending that was quite great feeling 😋.
Profile Image for Furrawn.
531 reviews43 followers
July 10, 2022
This book just wasn’t for me. I didn’t like any of the characters. The book embraces the many worlds theory which should have held my interest. I just can’t get past not caring about the characters.
Profile Image for Amin Matin.
256 reviews32 followers
October 29, 2021
در نگاه اول شاید فکر کنید با یک داستان کلیشه‌ای روبه‌رو هستید، باید بگم که دقیقاً درست فکر می‌کنید!

اینجاست که کلیشه جذاب میشه، اینجاست که نویسنده می‌دونه چیکار کنه که مخاطب یک ثانیه هم نتونه کتابو زمین بزاره.

توئیست آخر داستان هم برای من لذت‌بخش بود.

اگه دنبال یک کار معمایی-تریلر خوب هستید، نیم نگاهی به بی‌پایان داشته باشید.
Profile Image for Bon Tom.
846 reviews56 followers
November 8, 2021
Good book. What I miss is complete, or at least close understanding of how and why some things happened. For instance, moving between the worlds seems to happen in at least three different ways. One is taking a drug, the other is hypnosis or guided imagery or whatnot, the third is nothing but sheer presence of a certain person, unless I missed something.

Also, the whole going around full circle to meet himself is great concept, real movie moment I must say, but what happens to the double, I mean, the real double in his own world? As conveniently emphasized several times in the book, fate has a way of converging different outcomes into the same cause, or resolution (my wording). So I guess that's explanation of that. However, I can't help but feel it's a sort of metaphysical deus ex machina.

That said, very enjoyable read and deserved placing among chosen rarities on my mindfuckery bookshelf.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,083 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.