Start by marking “Nothing Ever Happens Here” as Want to Read:
Nothing Ever Happens Here

Nothing Ever Happens Here

Published January 9th 2020 by Usborne Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Ever Happens Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Ever Happens Here

Start your review of Nothing Ever Happens Here
Kai
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
A heart-felt, touching middle grade novel about a small town girl whose parent comes out as a trans woman. While the situation felt simplified at times, it was nevertheless a beautiful story about family, friendship and kindness. I hope this finds its way into many children's (and parents') hands.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Farah
Some people are trans, Get Over It
Some people are gay. Get Over It
Some people are bi. Get Over It
Some people are straight. Get Over It
Some people are asshole especially the ones who scream out loud the phrase 'Love is Love' but belittle the others who are in the same community. Don't blame the straights for every single thing that goes wrong within the community. Look in the mirror! You want respect, then give it first. And the straight, shut your gob before I shut it for you.

United we stand,
Charlie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nothing Ever Happens Here is a really lovely book, that will be a huge help and comfort to families and an excellent way for people to learn. Izzy, Jamie and Megan all adapt to the change in their family in different but valid ways and their love and eventual acceptance for Dee was very touching to read. I also loved seeing them find their own passion and self confidence improve as they realise their Dee is happier living openly as her true self. I think adults as well as children would do well ...more
Blue
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Straight of the bat I was drawn to this book with its delightful cover but when I read the blurb I knew it is a book that I want to hold in my hands and devour, love and shout about until I can’t anymore.
We always see and hear about people wanting diverse books and I agree, I want diversity in books. But I want the diversity to be real and written well. I hate it when you read a book and the author’s only way of writing about a diverse character is to have “this character was different” on every
Kath Middleton
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Izzy thinks her life is boring. Turns out not to be true. She and her friend Grace are given starring roles in the school’s Christmas production, Guys and Dolls. When her Dad drops the bombshell that he is transitioning to become not Daniel but Danielle, Izzy’s world rocks. This is a brilliant study of early teens and their friends, the bullying they endure, the strength and loyalty of their friendships and the pull of family ties. I read it in just two days. It’s full of characters you care ...more
Marjorie
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
First things first, I am way older than the target demographic for this book. To be honest it really doesn't read like a children's book, it just reads like a very good story that happens to have a 12 year old as it's protagonist. I will readily admit that I thoroughly enjoyed this story and following Izzy through one school term when her private life becomes very, very public.

The subject matter itself is a very sensitive one. Being transgender and admitting it to yourself is difficult enough
Rutuja Ramteke
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing ever happens here
"This is Littlehaven. Nothing ever happens here. Until the spotlight hits my family." Izzy's family is under the spotlight when her dad comes out as Danielle, a trans woman. Izzy is terrified her family will be torn apart. Will she lose her dad? Will her parents break up? And what will people at school say? Izzy's always been shy, but now all eyes are on her. Can she face her fears, find her voice and stand up for what's right?
Hola hoop, this loop was too amazing to
Emma Bryn
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is a shockingly insensitive book that I consider grooming. As a child of a trans parent I became increasingly disturbed reading this. In the book, any child who doesn’t believe what the dad says about being trans isn’t ‘clever’. The book is littered with references to Stonewall, a charity which is mostly financed by the trans lobby which is the writer’s employer. The charity has been criticised for the aggressiveness in its campaigning on trans issues. There is a huge diversion into the ...more
Jan 11, 2020 added it
The best thing about Nothing Ever Happens Here is something that this book is not. That might sound like a strange thing to say but it’s true. And what this book is not, is unicorns and rainbows. There are no magical fairy-tale endings, only real-life.

Izzy and her sister, Megan, are left reeling by their dad’s revelation that he is transgender and plans to start transitioning. Their five-year-old brother, Jamie, has the acceptance of a small child and seems unphased by the revelation.

The book
Halimah
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's not often a book represents trans issues in a positive, honest way but this one does and I'm very glad. I hope this will be a part of a growing collection of books featuring trans characters, perhaps eventually incidentally rather than purposefully debunking harmful myths about the community. I'm really glad this exists!!
Christine Burns
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full marks! This is a wonderful debut novel, presenting a story for our time with believable characters, a very relatable family and a scenario that readers may very well encounter for real during their school days. How would you handle it? I wish there’d been books like this in my day.
Margaret McCulloch-Keeble
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is such a brave book, an important book. It deals, sensitively, with a family coming to terms with one of the parents transitioning. It needs to be in children's libraries to normalise these situations and spread the love.
Hannah
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this in under 24 hours as I just couldn't put it down. Books for younger readers about LGBT+ families are very few and far between and this felt to me like a very well written one. I'd highly recommend it.
Feargal
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is grooming children to cooperate and please their fathers. I hate to think how this could do damage to vulnerable kids.
David Owen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nothing Ever Happens Here is such a great book. Clear, compelling, and brimming with empathy. A copy should be in every primary school across the country. Highly recommended.
Leo
Dec 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
“Nothing ever happens here” or rather “stuff is happening, what the hell is going on aaahsjdkdks. Life is weird and surprising.”
Lucas
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story about empathy and representation, full review here:
Tris The Book Whisperer
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
a gorgeous story of a family learning what it means to be a family as their father transitions to a woman. The story is sensitively and beautifully written and gives some insight into how it feels not only for the person transitioning, but also the family surrounding them and so has a place in our school library for Y6+.
Kim

• The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Full Disclosure
  • Hideous Beauty
  • Deeplight
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Opposite of Always
  • Love ∞: Love power Infinity
  • Ease
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Das Licht ist hier viel heller
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
  • Letters of a Bloodline - Book 0: Thicker Than Blood: A Short Prequel to the Series
  • The Many Worlds of Albie Bright
  • Scavengers
  • A Safari in the Equity World: Applying Animal Kingdom Strategies to the Investment World
  • WildSpark