Start by marking “Let Your Heart Be Light” as Want to Read:
Let Your Heart Be Light

Let Your Heart Be Light

FOR SERVICES RENDERED

Dr. David Christmas has heard every joke in the book when it comes to his name. Weary of the festive season and from his long shifts in the emergency room, David is also tired of his lonely single life. His only hope for Christmas is a glimpse of the shy but gorgeous neighbour who lives above him.

Christmas-loving Julian has nurtured a crush on the grum
Published December 13th 2019 by Carnation Books

To ask other readers questions about Let Your Heart Be Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Your Heart Be Light

Start your review of Let Your Heart Be Light
Cadiva
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolute perfection.

This book focuses on two couples with three short stories which give the initial meetings of each pair and a bonus second dip into Zach and Richard's life.

JR's writing has such charm to it. Both romances are set in London but they're different in tone.

David and Julian's is the filling being bookended by Zach and Richard's extraordinarily impressive storyline and I'd absolutely kill for a full length novel with them.

Not to take anything away from the doctor and his upstairs n
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! Flat out adorable. Three short stories, two with the same couple. The title is perfection, because that's exactly what it does. Loved it! 💖😊
Gustaf
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-i-own
Three stories, two couples.

Charming, hilarious and full of the Christmas feelings. Read this book and you'll be in the right mood for the holidays. I dare to say it's a promise.
R.J.
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it when I find a new author and in particular one that I can recommend to my readers. With the proviso that I went into the book not knowing it was three separate stories (and so got a little confused, more below), I can highly recommend this book to everyone.

What I love about JR's writing is that it just pulled me right into the story, and I couldn't put the book down. She has a way with words that meant I could just lose myself in the story itself, and I can't wait to read more from JR
Rachel
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book, sweet and sexy with lots of humour. Highly recommended.
Becca
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kind of a Big Deal is first. It's incredibly romantic. Comedian, Zach, goes to his sister's art show trying to kill time on when he can leave, because he's bored, when the most gorgeous man he's ever seen begins to speak to him. He and Richard talk for a while but Richard wanders off to speak with others and Zach never gets his number. But all of a sudden, he has a new follower in Twitter. Little by little, they get to know each other. Spending intimate time together, forging their bond. Neither ...more
Bev
4.5 stars rounded up for this lovely Christmas Cracker tale.

A joy to read and beautifully written, with lots of laughs along the way. I particularly liked...no, make that adored Zack and Richard's Twitter interchanges, and the headings Zack used to get his replies sent 😀😀.

The 'meat' filler in the Zack and Richard double story sandwich, For Services Rendered, was also sweet and made me tear up I have to say. Dr David Christmas and Mr Julian Reynolds, 2 professional men, but both sooo lonely and
Amy Aislin
I loved this sooooo much! Mushy, insta-lovey, fluffy sweetness at its best. Exactly what I was looking for at the holiday season. Three well-developed stories featuring characters you'll fall in love with.
Amy B.
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Utterly Charming

4.5 Stars
What a charming book- sweet and cozy with the lightest layer of snark to keep it from being too saccharine, this trio of shorts is lovely.

The first story, Kind of a Big Deal, concerns Zach, a stand up comedian in his late 20s, and Richard, a VERY high powered geopolitical operative in his early 40s. They meet, sparks fly, and these two opposites give dating a try. Told in single POV with Zach as our narrator, this is fizzy and fun, sexy and sweet. Try to read it without
ButtonsMom2003
Shelves: blog, favorites, purchased
I can't believe this is a debut collection!

I love discovering new authors – especially when their writing is as good as this one. I'm a pretty easy reviewer, and usually generous with my star ratings, but it's sort of rare for me to give a 5-star rating to a new or new-to-me author. J. R. Lawrie deserves every one of the 5 stars and I would probably rate it higher if I could.

I knew going in that Let Your Heart Be Light is a collection of three novellas but I must not have read the blurb all that
Rynn Yumako
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, contemporary
Oh, my grumpy heart just grew a few sizes; this was lovely. No unnecessary drama, just pure, sweet holiday fun. I'm not usually one for this much sweetness, but I definitely felt like this book had something special and I was ready for something romantic and easy.

The first two short stories were my favorites, the last one felt too far-fetched for me, bringing down my overall rating, but other than that, I had a fun time.

(again, I'm reading a Christmas book after the holidays. typical.)
Stella
Delivers precisely what the title indicates: light-hearted, angst-free romance blooming over winter holidays in London. I also laughed aloud a few times, so I must call these stories "romantic comedy".

There are two separate stories and one of them spans four years, so this book covers a total of five different Christmas holidays (four for one couple, one for the other).

Overall absolutely adorable, and I hope to see more like these especially for holidays.
Tess
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karlanichelle
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh gosh, David and Julian's story is what I have been SEARCHING for! An m/m romance with actual romance! Beautiful, sincere, believable, slow-building romance. So many feels reading their story, and I could honestly read stories about the two of them over and over again. David is so relatable, and Lawrie does a masterful job of painting a clear picture of this character within the first two pages. Julian is also a wonderful treasure, and you can feel his heart on his sleeves as he carefully navi ...more
HanakaLu
4,5 ⭐️

It was a such easy read ! I really appreciate it. Low in angst and just... Christmassy you know ?

The first one with Zack and Richard was my favorites and I give 5 ⭐️ !
I loved the Tweets of Zack, it make me smile (and Laugh, yes).

( « My life is your classic rom-com, just without the romance. So basically it's me laughing at my own jokes. That's it. That's my life. Send tweet. » )

( « All groupies will be reassigned to my mate Dave. He's a 4 in technique and a 2 in stamina but he'll mak
Valerie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely trio of stories featuring two couples. The first couple, Richard and Zack meet in the first story, Kind of a Big Deal, and I loved the instant connection between the two through Zack's POV. Although you get little hints about how they will fall in love, because Richard is the man for Zack, the story moves quickly through their time meeting and getting to know one another and you want more. Fortunately, you get it in the third story in the book, The Farringdon Club. The couple is ...more
Ali
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

These were a couple of nice stories. I liked meeting Zack and Richard and then seeing them again another Christmas down the road. David and Julian were both adorably awkward together.

I thought Zack was great, he is himself and doesn’t apologize and I loved that Richard saw that in him from the beginning and didn’t want him to change. I love how he can turn Richard’s world around and Richard would just smile indul
Lizette
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mildly surprised I did not need to make an account to write this, but I would have! I feel all of this quite strongly. So here we go:
Lawrie writes like she is half a meter away from the characters, just taking notes as they go. She sees everything, she knows everything, and we as readers get to hear her funny, heartfelt, account of the goings-on of wonderful three-dimensional characters.
I have laughed and sat with tears in my eyes, and on my third read I am still astounded by how much story the
Sara
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This writer has had my attention for a while because of her skill at the keyboard. Her way of writing queer romantic fiction is unparalleled. The stories about Richard & Zack and David & Julian give me hope for love even though I've been through heartbreak. The writing is quality, and heads above other romantic fiction I've read. Her style is easy to read while being smart. I finished these stories wishing I had what the characters did.

Things I love: Zack's ever-changing Twitter handle, Zack mak
Sara Bauer
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book in two days and loved everything about it. EVERYTHING.

Zack and Richard are amazing together. I could spend book after book following their steamy, playful, opposites-attract relationship. (And I really wanna get drinks with Zack; we would get into so much trouble together.)

David and Julian were soooooooo sweet and fawning over each other OMG. And on Christmas, no less!

If you're looking for a wonderfully cheerful, fluffy, steamy, and holiday-themed book, this is the one you shoul
Simon
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the recommendation Bev. I really needed a bit of Christmas feel good to brighten my day and these three Christmas themed stories certainly did that.
Zack and Richard's stories were funny and happy, all you'd expect from a stand up comedian's relationship with a high powered civil servant, but it was David and Julian's story that made me teary eyed - shy and intense as it was.
Loved this book.
Highly recommended for a Seasonal read.
Jessica
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Let Your Heart Be Light is an absolute treasure by debut author J.R. Lawrie. I picked it up because it's the middle of summer in Maryland and I wanted to read a holiday collection in the hopes that the thought of snow would cool me down. It's a collection of three stories with two different couples featuring opposites attract, humor, heat, sweetness, and lovely romance. I found myself smiling through the entire book and highly recommend reading it.
Suze
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/4*
I enjoyed these stories, nice warm and fuzzy Christmas feels.
Mostly good, occasionally a bit too cheesy.
Zach and Richard feature in two tales - initially meeting and getting together, leading to wedding bells! In their second story, Zach singlehandedly revamps a stuffy old gentleman’s club.
In the other - unrelated - tale, neighbours Justin and David pass on the stairs but that’s all. Until an accident puts Justin in David’s A&E - cue help and cuddles!
Edga
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Light hearted seasonal reads.

Thoroughly enjoyed these quirky seasonal tales. This is the first book I've read by Ms Lawrie, and it certainly won't be the last. The stories are full of entertaining characters, and humour, they're also well written with panache. Perfect, light hearted reads, to make you smile.
Ankita Singh
Oh my god, these stories were adorable. Like teeth-rottingly sweet.

My favourite was obviously the last one, The Farringdon Club, because it was absolutely hilarious. I laughed so much as Zach slowly turned an old, boring Gentleman's Club into his own version of a club. It was so funny how everyone was ready to do anything he wanted at the drop of a hat.
Akila R
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
One of these shorts was about a ED doctor and his neighbour turned patient turned love interest. To me that is anathema, but here it worked. Or, in other words, I’m willing to overlook it because it was cute and sappy.

Just what I needed after working crazy long evening shifts that lasted well past midnight. Sweet escape!
Thewasp
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was going to wait until Saturday but couldn’t wait. This was utterly charming . Zach and Richard are hot. I love mysterious men and this ticked all my boxes.
David and Julian are wonderful together. Two men who seemingly shouldn’t work,, but do.
I happily await Ms.Lawrie’s next book.
Claudia
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, lgbtqa, erotica
I've loved both couples at first sight. Their stories are sweet but not syrupy and the author can drag you in with her mastery and not let you go until she's finished with you and your feelings and I love her for it 😁.
I can't wait to see what she'll write next ❤️
Kaylin Williams
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
So soft and so much fun

This author was one of my favorites before i set eyes on this book. They fulfilled every expectation and then some. These stories are beautiful and hilarious. Characters are well rounded and so, so easy to fall in love with.
Katherine R.
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Like A Warm Blanket

It’s right there in the title! This is a sweet collection of stories raking place around the holiday season that is just feel good reading. Definitely worth a read.

• Naughty & Nice
  • Not Over Yet
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • Abstract Love
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey #2)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Merry Cherry Christmas
  • Precious
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Locked Heart
  • Awkward Love (Stumbling into Love #2)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Short Stack (Mixed Messages; Finding Home)

Articles featuring this book