Start by marking “What Works For Us” as Want to Read:
What Works For Us

What Works For Us

An elf costume, a pair of lacy knickers, and a Christmas charity auction might make Sam’s Christmas wish come true.

When sweet barista, Sam, agrees to be a ‘slave’ in a Christmas charity auction, he’s thrilled to be bought by the man he’s had a crush on for the last three months.

Theodore is everything Sam is looking for in a man: older, authoritative, and caring. Unfortunat
251 pages
Published December 17th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about What Works For Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Works For Us

Start your review of What Works For Us
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

I love me a kinky book, but What Works For Us was a bit too all over the place for me.

When I read the description and the content warnings, I was like, MAMA LIKE. I mean...

What Works For Us is a Christmas-ish romance with an age-gap relationship, lacy underwear, role-play, Daddy kink, a smidge of hurt/comfort, and a guaranteed happy ending.

SEE!

But what it ended up being was too little of each thing to get anything fully developed.

The romance and the relationship progressed suuuuuu
Len Evans Jr
4.5 stars rounded up to 5

Sam was just awesome throughout this story... Theodore seriously took some getting used to.. but he grew on me... loved the realism of the 6th month gap till the reunion!
Ζωή Παππά
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sam, agrees to be a ‘slave’ in a Christmas charity auction and he’s is bought by Theodore, the man he’s had a crush on for months. The two of them have amazing chemistry and seem to be perfect for each other. But Theodore isn’t out of the closet and Sam doesn’t know for how long he can be his secret.

This was one of the sweetest Christmas love stories! Sam and Theodore were really well written and realistic. They had to fight for their happily ever after. Theodore especially evolved so much as a
Joyfully Jay
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I was drawn to this story by both the age gap theme, as well as the cross dressing element, and this story didn’t disappoint with its kinky fun. Sam and Theodore are both eager to explore role playing and all kinds of different ways they can enjoy being together, and this part of the story is light and fun and sexy. The men explore spanking, cross dressing, kitten play, and other role playing, as well as moving toward a Daddy/boy dynamic. I enjoyed both the fun a
Rachel Emily
I absolutely loved this book! It was exactly what I needed to read. Sweet, very sexy and a bit kinky and fun, some angst, and then a great and well believable HEA.

I adored Sam. I loved how sweet he was, how great he was with Theodore. And Theodore I just felt bad for his upbringing and his family, but I did worry how things would go down with Sam.

Luckily I love that Theodore wanted to better himself FOR himself and hoped that he could still have Sam too. I love the little jump in time before t
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Sam and Theodore

Every morning he serves him a latte macchiato to go and this man is always with his nose on his screen. He is much older than Sam, who has a crush like forever.

After the opportunity to meet with Theodore, they developed some kind of relationship.
Searching for the right dynamic it seems Daddy and boy is what they are looking for.
Only, Theodore isn’t out and it seems he will never.

Theodore is insecure, that’s kind of endearing to watch. Together they were lovely.
The whole story wa
michaela ⚘
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot, m-m, 2019, arc, holiday-rm
Sam has had a crush on the older man that he serves coffee to every morning but he doesn’t think he has any chances with the seemingly uninterested man. That is until a favor for a friend lands and a sexy little elf costume right into the mans lap.

Theodore can’t help noticing Sam but he’s in the closet and is used to nameless and emotionless hookups in hotel rooms. A chance at an auction is about to change that for him.

Sam and Theodore were smoking hot together. The chemistry between them was
Jenny Wood
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, I was not expecting this story…

We first meet Sam, who works at a barista at a café, who has a crush on one of his morning patrons. For the last several months, he’s noticed the older gentleman and admired him in his fancy suits, expensive watch and lovely eyes…even if they don’t connect with him very often because the guy is always looking at his phone… still, he’s exactly Sam’s type, even though there’s no way possible that the man could return the attraction, because let’s be real… Sam’s
Bora Noona
This cute Christmas story was just right for the season. I especially liked the author's note at the end that mentioned characters having a life of their own. I totally could see how the characters evolved and seemed very real. I loved the kink, the daddy play, and was intrigued by kitty play as I have only previously read about puppy play. I liked that they played with Sam wearing women's clothing to look sexy, but he wasn't wanting to be a drag queen or cross dress all the time, it was just so ...more
Kirstin
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled and how much I enjoyed this book. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to pick it up again!

Sam is a college student, away from home, working at a coffee shop during the Christmas holiday. The same man has been in, ordering the same drink, everyday, since October. Sam's got a crush and maybe the other guy, Theodore does too?

What I loved so much about this story is that it was everything real life is. Theodore had an upbringing that made him scared to death to be gay, let alone out an
Coline Peterson
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, just loved it! I saw him for the first time at the coffee shop and now I go everyday just to see him again but...there is this thing for work a charity auction and my coworker wants my boy,  he's mine but...he comes to clean my house as a sexy elf and I want him so but...we start an affair hiding in the shadows...but can how we build a lasting relationship this way. This beautiful Christmas story reminds us that the struggle to be your authentic self is real, no matter what yo ...more
jazmin
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read a book from this author before, and even though I didn't hate it, it wasn't really for me so I haven't been too eager to read other one of her books. But this sounded right up my alley, so I had to give it a chance. I'm glad I did, because I enjoyed this a lot. Sam and Theodore were very sweet together, and I loved the sexy scenes. (view spoiler) My only complain is that we didn't get to read more role plays ;) ...more
Kaila
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was adorable and cute... it is a well written and sweet story.. barista's are adorable.. and crushing on patron is just adorable.. i enjoyed the writing and the characters are sweet and fun. plus abigail was sooo much fun. i didnt see her and her shaningans coming lol .. theodore captured my heart and made me super sad... and then he got better.. i loved this story!
Dara Nelson
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-blog
Age gap, role play, kink, bdsm, closeted. This story has so much going on but all of it works so well together that it keeps you from getting lost in the chaos. Well written and well done.
Charlotte Kane
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great cute sexy elfish fun
Kristina
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have tried 2 other times to read Colette Davison's work but could not get into one and disliked the other, but What Works For Us, I enjoyed so much more than I anticipated.

The characters were great, the writing was smooth, and I think this was the first time I read a book with this much role-play (and enjoyed it).

I think Sam was was my favorite character; he was sweet with how quiet and shy he was when we first met him. I wasn't really as impressed with Theodore as I was with Sam. He was a g
The Quille and Lampe
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What I Think: I loved this tale! Having some of my favorite things like age gap, size gap, and sweet kink with characters that are just so sweet and lovable made the tale irresistible. I especially love these tales in which one partner is trying to resist or put up a fight because it’s so much sweeter when they fall (also because I have absolutely no chill and go for what I want like a cavewoman).
I laughed as Theodore tried to control himself, bandying words like being responsible, adult, honora
Danielle
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My kind of holiday book

Oh how I love this. Sam was adorable (if not patient and understanding beyond belief) and Theodore...*sigh* my heart went out to him. He also made a hot daddy but that's neither here nor there. This book was a delight. I especially appreciate how Christmas just happened to be the time period, it wasn't the focus or theme of the book. I'm a bit of a scrooge in that regard. I will also quickly say that if you were expecting a quick, cute, holiday romp you're not going to get
Amy Dufera
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhh...Colette Davison's What Works for Us is a delicious BDSM romance.

Theodore's a closeted businessman who just so happens to wins Sam in an auction. Theo's a relatable character, one who's always been closeted, finding it shameful to admit his truth. But with Sam, who's dressed like a girl, he is tempted more than ever before. What follows is a delightful age gap romance.

Theodore and Sam develop a deep connection before they even know one another's names. Oh course it isn't all an easy ride
ButtonsMom2003
Shelves: blog
Hot and slightly kinky!

What Works for Us is a really hot, slightly kinky story and I really enjoyed reading it. Theodore is a deeply closeted older man. Due to his strict upbringing, he has intense feelings of shame about being gay and has no desire to come out.

Sam is a college student working as a barista in a coffee shop that Theodore visits every morning. Sam likes older men and longs for "Latte Macchiato" (aka Theodore) to notice him. He is thrilled when Theodore wins him as a slave for a da
Anabela.M.
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just like every book I've read by Colette Davison, 𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗸𝘀 𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗨𝘀 was an emotional rollercoaster, taking me on beautiful spins,from dizzying highs followed by heart aching sudden lows.

I absolutely loved Sam and Theodore. Sam is out and pround,while Theodore is not. The complete opposite,in fact,because he's constantly consumed by his desires battling the shame for having them. And sadly, that's why each encounter between Sam and Theodore takes them from soaring pleasure to plummeting to self
This Curly Arab
Shelves: arcs
A moving holiday story about self discovery, coming out and a little bit of daddy kink.

This is my second read by Colette and I adored this story. I immediately found myself drawn to Sam and Theodore. There was so much pining between these two. This was a short and quick read but it was so tender as well. There is some angst when it comes to Theodore not being out and hiding his relationship with Sam.

This tale had so many things I enjoyed; age-gap, sexual awakening, daddy kink, kitty play, men i
Sarita Chapdelaine
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is a great story with interesting characters and an intriguing storyline. I love Sam and I have a lot of sympathy for Theodore's situation even though he worries way too much about what other people think about him. There is a little too much angst about their age difference as Theodore struggles with that as well as being openly gay. They are perfect for each other though as they are exactly what the other needs. I love how they learn together as they role play and their chemistry is off t ...more
Cheryl
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for the ARC read, I voluntarily give this book an honest review. As a favor to Abigail, Sam reluctantly agreed to part of charity auction.  Once he was won his dream was half way true to form that his favourite customer of the Common Ground cafe was the highest bidder.
Theodore wasn't out by any means thanks to his upbringing, he only had meaningless hookups but the young man had called to some hidden part when he came dressed as a naughty elf dress with knickers and all. How far was T
R
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sam serves coffee every morning to the same man. The older man really appeals to him. Fate has them in its grasp when they wind up at the same charity auction. Theodore bids on Sam’s cleaning services to keep him out of the grasp of a crass coworker. When Sam changes into his costume, complete with tiny black panties, Theodore is smitten.

Their issues are mostly on Theodore’s side, he a lot older and deep in the closet. Refusing to come out. Family makes it worse while trying to understand.

This
Sue
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! WHAT A GREAT CHRISTMAS STORY

This is a wonderful Christmas story. Theodore is a serious, handsome older man. He gets his coffee every morning and tries to ignore the cute, sweet barista. Sam works the morning shift and gets giddy every time he sees the sexy older man come in the door. They are both trying to keep their excitement to themselves. Theodore is still firmly in the closet. Sam is a young man looking for a stable relationship. Both their lives begin to change when Sam becomes a na
Lisa
Theodore is very proper and very closeted he likes his life just so there isn’t very much room for romance. That doesn’t stop in from going to the same cafe every single morning in hopes of getting a glimpse of the young barista.

Sam has had the biggest crush on mister prom for the longest time but he has never once paid him any attention.

When faith steps in in the form of a charity auction Sam has ideas on how to make him self been seen at last. With lacy knickers and a sexy elf costume has Sam
Kathryn Manzella
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What Works For Us by Colette Davison is a standalone contemporary m/m romance with an age gap, daddy kink twist, role playing fun and an out-for-you theme.

Theodore and Sam are great characters who were sweet but also sexy together. Theodore had a lot of baggage to unload but Sam. Gave him a reason to set himself free and embrace what could be. The story has drama, angst, emotion, and romance. I truly enjoyed every page.

I received an advanced reader's copy of the book and I am voluntarily leavi
Modwena
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, read on KU and then immediately purchased it. I actually found it to be a really sweet and emotional read. Theodore is totally closeted and very repressed due to his toxic family and Sam is absolutely adorable and responds so maturely to Theodore's issues. Together they begin to explore roleplay and grow very close, very quickly. All is not smooth sailing though. A really beautiful book which I know that I will reread frequently.
Ali
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

This was a great story, I loved seeing Sam and Theodore find what they wanted even if it was hard. All they needed was the right push to get things started but then another to make it right.

I liked that Sam and Theodore were willing to learn what the other liked and grow their experience and bond with each other. I hated that Sam’s family made him doubt their relationship even if the inevitable fallout was what

• The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Snow Way Out (Snowed In - Valentine's Inc. #7)
  • Rules to Obey (Davey's Rules, #5)
  • Unexpected (Inked, #3)
  • Fixing Little Red (Different Hearts, #2)
  • Finding Ripley (The Men of River Gorge)
  • Daddy (Kinky Boys #1)
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
  • Rules for Santa (Davey's Rules #3)
  • Baby Boy (Daddy's Boy, #1)
  • Rules to Ignore (Davey's Rules, #7)
  • Tony and His Tiger (Oh My!, #3)
  • Make Snow Mistake (Snowed In - Valentine's Inc. #1)
  • Making Rules (Davey's Rules #6)
  • Snow Regrets (Snowed In - Valentine's Inc. #3)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Rules to Break (Davey's Rules, #2)
  • His Kind of Man (HeavyLoad!, #3)
I'm an indie author from the UK, who writes contemporary and paranormal M/M romance. My books have flawed characters, happy endings, and lots of heart.

VISIT MY AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE: