Start by marking “Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic #1)

Cursed by Fire

(Blood & Magic #1)

Blood is going to spill …
It won't be mine.

Someone is feeding the flames, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. The victims are innocents, chosen to pit the shifter Pack and the vampire Coven against one another.

If war breaks out, humanity won’t survive.

But controlling fire is my thing, and I won’t let that happen.
I’m a mercenary, but this is about so much more than mone
Published February 18th 2018 by Coffee and Characters LLC (first published January 24th 2015)

Start your review of Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic #1)
Lila
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no

Ok, no.

I will never understand how people think they can get away with such a blatant copying of elements from massively popular series like Kate Daniels or Psy/Changeling.

Just no.

I'll name few similarities:

1) Shifters in this book are infected by virus called Lyc-V (yup, same name) that changes their "chemical makeup" completely and gives them accelerated healing and regenerative abilities.

2)Shifters are Pack and Pack in this book has the same Clan organization as Pack in KD series:
There is a
Navessa
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as stahp  ·  review of another edition
Why would I read a book that's basically a bastardization of two series I've already read and enjoyed?
Shannon
Feb 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-never-read
Taking a wild guess that this is the book that made Ilona have to copyright some of her terms from Kate Daniels. This review should help you decide if it copies Kate Daniels (and Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series). There's also a character named Declan, (On the Edge, anyone?) as well as similarities to Singh's other series, which Angela has brought to light in her updates.
Melanie
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
5*s
Review posted here...

Cursed by Fire is an awesome introduction to the Blood & Magic series…..
A few years ago there was the ‘Awakening’ in which supernatural beings came out of the closet, Humans are no longer the top of the food chain. Everything about the world has changed including who holds the power and how they are governed; Vampires and Shifters are rivals for that power and always seem to be teetering on the edge of war with Humans stuck right in
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Everyone who knows me knows I am an Ilona Andrews Fangurl.

I ride hard for the Andrews Duo.

This shit right here? *rolls eyes*

Kate Daniels does NOT need to be revamped, redone or republished.

I mean. WTF??! Even the fucking author website for this chick reminds me of Ilona Andrews' author website.

Hoping this shit gets pulled for plagerism soon.
Cocktails and Books
This book was unbelievable! The action, the politics, the suspense, the subterfuge; I was completely enthralled. Aria is Psyker—a human born with psychokinetic powers. Aria’s power is pyrokinesis. Her father was also a Psyker and tried to teach her to harness and control her abilities before he was murdered before Aria’s eyes. One of the last things her father said to her was to stay away from other Psykers. Aria doesn’t know the reason but she hides her abilities and quickly moves away when she ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
So, yeah . . . I tried. I tried really, really hard to read this. At least half a dozen times, and I just couldn't do it.

If it had been a good imitation of Kate Daniels, maybe I'd've fared better, but it wasn't. It was a bad, bad, baaaaad imitation of Kate Daniels.

I did flip through it enough to verify that, yes, I definitely view this whole sad enterprise as a theft of ideas.

Is it plagiarism? No. There was no cutting and pasting of text and trying to pass it off as original material.

BUT.

Any K
Readsalot81
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dreadful
Nope. Nope. Nope. There are a lot of similarities to Kate Daniels and the writing is weak and amateurish at best.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A seven year old little boy has been kidnapped and Aria Naveed is determined to find him before it is too late. While trying to find the little boy Aria finds that there is more behind the kidnapping of a little boy than meets the eye. The more she digs into the case she finds a whole lot of secrets that someone doesn’t want to be brought out into the opening and is trying to kill Aria to keep it hidden.
When the little boy turns up dead finding out who could do this to a little boy becomes more
I have no words. I really wanted to like this book. It's supposed to be like the Kate Daniels series...shifters, bad ass merc heroine, all of the above. Well, it is like Kate Daniels. Exactly like Kate Daniels. This is very obviously a rip-off of Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series and Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, with a bit of the Edge thrown in. Does anyone know if this was P2P fan fic? Because if so, it should have been edited way more to remove all the similarities.

I'll post a full r
Steph
Feb 12, 2015 marked it as nope-no-never  ·  review of another edition
Plagiarism sucks. It's disheartening when specific elements of an author's imagination must be copyrighted to protect against plagiarists with no imagination of their own.

(Other reviewers have noted the glaring similarities: Angela's updates & Lege's review)

January 2020 Update:
Spotted this had been changed to 'NOT A BOOK' by 'NOT A BOOK'. Just to clarify, this WAS Cursed by Fire by Danielle Annett (Cursed by Fire 2015), which was apparently republished in 2018.
Mara
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
These are the moments when I almost understand why STGRB movement took hold. Almost.
So many of the readers out there left scalding reviews for a book they never read. Yes, Danielle Annett used many ideas, and a few words (Lyc-V, Friend of the pack status) from Ilona Andrews. It's not the first time it happened (I'm thinking of the waste of paper that are the breed copies from an erotica writer, but she's not the only one). I doubt it's the last. And, no, it really had nothing in common with the
Heather andrews
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not much for romance in this book, and honestly I didn't mind because we got to go on an adventure. Aria I loved that girl she was fierce, and dominant and was a kicka** woman. I mainly focused on her instead of the other characters that were all around her, I can't wait to see more of her and see her grow even more just as her journey grows.
JadeShea
Cursed by Fire begins when Ari finds a little boy murdered. All evidence points to Vampires, but nothing is exactly what it seems. When a stranger comes to town and starts following her, things begin to get a little crazy for Ari. She must find out who is hurting the shifters before a war starts, or it all may be too late for everyone.

The book starts out pretty good. It does remind me a whole lot of the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. But in a way, that was kind of cool. I really liked th
☕️Kimberly
Caffeinated Breakdown of Cursed by Fire

The world: In the Blood & Magic world vampires and shifters, along with other supernatural creatures revealed themselves to humans in what is referred to as the Awakening. The world itself is similar to ours and parties are vying for control. Aside from pharmaceutical companies, it looks like the world is still functioning normally much like the world of Mercy Thompson. The vampires have taken up residence in town and the shifters have a compound in the woo
Allison
With the Awakening now years upon earth, no longer do those most feared stay hidden in the shadows.
After a young boy goes missing, and later turning up dead, Aria is determined to find the killer and bring them to justice.
With the Alpha pack offering support, she and her friend James set out on a missing to uncover secrets of the world around them in an effort to solve the murder.
Will they be able to find the killer or will Aria find herself at the killer's mercy?

This was a good read. I enjo
Marta Cox
I do enjoy urban fantasy and spotted this as a freebie so after reading the synopsis happily downloaded it. We are introduced to Aria who is an investigator trying to find out why a young boy was murdered. The shock of it all is the fact that neither of his parents seem interested but things take a strange turn when Aria finds out that his birth father is a shifter. This is all set in a future with shifters, vampires and other supernaturals trying to stake their claims on the world . Aria is ess ...more
Coyora Dokusho
Mmmm'kay I'm going to read this entire thing just to pick up the EGREGIOUSNESS!!

A lot of the time, I love fanfics, this is not fanfic, this is PURE REPREHENSIBLE LAZINESS.

In my honest opinion:

1) Heroine's self-evaluation eerily similar to Kate Daniels'

2) Divisions of Pack ridiculously similar to Kate Daniels series - Clan Big(Heavy, sp?)

3) Declan, ftw?

4) "James" = Jim, ftwX2

5) picking up shades of early Anita Blake from office dynamics

6) this is (GASP!!) not copying, but seriously, the cherry on
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
This isn't a new review! I'm re-posting this review on the new book page because the original and most popular version of this book's page has been "wiped". Link here.
_________________________________
Originally posted at:

This was an average story that made it so time passed a little faster for me while listening to it. My main issue: Everything felt only surface deep. There wasn't much substance to anything or anyone in this series. The world building felt off, in a way that everything was e
Jody
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the first book in a new paranormal series the groundwork is laid for what promises to be an action-packed, fast-paced series of books with a world on the verge of war propelled by lots of secrets and a strong-willed heroine. Though the themes are nothing new first-time author Ms. Annett breathes some life into it with her compelling and spunky heroine. By the end of the book, with its big revelation, readers will definitely want more.

Six years after paranormal creatures came out in "The Awake
Moon Love
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I started reading, I thought I was reading the second book in a series because of the familiarity of the characters with one another. However as the story continued, I realized this was the first book in the series. The concept behind this book is not new, with a human trying to save the races from tearing each other's throats out, but Danielle Annett manages to add a fresh spin to it.

This first installment isn't very long, but there's a lot that happens. There's mystery and action, hints o
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Stacy
I want to start out my review by talking about other reviews saying that CURSED BY FIRE is basically a rip-off of the Kate Daniel Series and Psy/Changeling Series. I have not read the Psy/Changeling series so I can not say if this book is similar in any way, but I have read the Kate Daniels series. Although I won't go into every single detail that are alike (because others have already done that), I have to agree that there are quite a few things in CURSED BY FIRE that have the same feel as the ...more
Book Reading Gals
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Thoughts: This story was set it an alternate world where humans are no longer the 'superior race'. It's been six years since The Awakening when shifters, vampires, fae and other creatures of the night decided to come out of hiding. The world as the humans had known it has changed. The heroine of this story is Aria and is a pysker with her primary ability being pyrokinesis. She works for a firm as a mercenary hired to find a kidnapped boy who she later finds with his throat slashed and his body m ...more
Christa
It’s not even subtle about the fact it’s a rip off of Kate Daniels. Save your time and read Kate Daniels.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this series but I actually really like it. I saw someone compare it to the Kate Daniels series and while it sort of is similar it really shouldn't be compared to it. I will say though, that if you like that series (which I adore) then I think you will really enjoy this one as well.
Veronica
Mar 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
RIP OFF OF ILONA ANDREWS

I can't believe this book even got published. It's basically a complete rip off of Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh. Nothing original and the author should be ashamed.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, I was in no way compensated for this review.

Danielle Annett brings forth a fascinating new Urban Fantasy read that really keeps you on your toes! Cursed by Fire is an amazing new story with a heroine who you could easily relate to. There was so much mystery and secrets in this one that I am still left reeling!

The world here is different from our own, but still a familiar setting. Paranormals are out in the open, Shifters, Vam
Sandy
Welcome to Spokane, Washington, a city still reeling from "the Awakening". Six years ago vamps, shifters, fae, harpies & other creatures decided to come out of the closet & announce their presence. It's been a bit of a learning curve for the human population as they adjust to their new status as potential snack food.
Currently there is a shaky truce between the 2 biggest factions. The Coven are vampires led by the beautiful & terrifying Rebecka who wants nothing more than complete control of the
Deborah
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I’ll start with a warning – this book ends on a cliffhanger – not a ‘heroine is about to die’ style cliffhanger, but this volume offers no resolutions to any of the plot strands.
Before I purchase a book, I make a point of checking the reviews for this information, because I find this type of ‘ending’ seriously annoying. Unfortunately, when I signed up for this review tour there were none available.
So if, like me, you don’t do cliffhangers, then pass. If you don’t mind them, and you’re an urban f
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic #2)
  • Burned by Fire (Blood & Magic, #3)
  • Branded by Fire (Blood & Magic, #4)
  • Consumed by Fire (Blood and Magic, #5)
  • Forged by Fire (Blood & Magic #6)
  • Omega (Mackenzie Grey: Origins #4)
  • Alpha (Mackenzie Grey: Origins, #3)
  • Shift (Mackenzie Grey: Origins, #1)
  • Caged (Mackenzie Grey: Origins, #2)
  • Broken Loyalty (Jacky Leon, #3)
  • Spiked (Sundance #1)
  • From the Grave (Mackenzie Grey: Trials # 1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Curse Breaker (Mackenzie Grey: Trials #2)
  • Shadow Magic (Hidden Magic #1)
  • Luna Rising (Luna Rising, #1)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Bound by Magic (Mackenzie Grey: Trials Book 3)
I'm just a girl with an obsession for Marvel movies, a love of all things Urban Fantasy, and a cheerleader for the underdog in any given story.

If you're looking for a heroine you can root for ... someone who defies the odds and gets up every time they're knocked down ... then look no further because that's what you'll find in my books.

I hope you'll join me in Aria Naveed's adventures. She's pretty

Blood & Magic (7 books)
  • Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic #2)
  • Burned by Fire (Blood & Magic, #3)
  • Branded by Fire (Blood & Magic, #4)
  • Consumed by Fire (Blood and Magic, #5)
  • Forged by Fire (Blood & Magic #6)
  • Magic Born in Fire: A Snarky Urban Fantasy Adventure

News & Interviews

“Do you need to talk about your feelings now?” I asked. “You’re a real piece of work, you know that?” “Sure do. It’s a wonder you’ve put up with me as long as you have.” 1 likes