Start by marking “Boy Queen” as Want to Read:
Boy Queen

Boy Queen

Life's a drag until you try . . .

Robin Cooper’s life is falling apart.

While his friends prepare to head off to university, Robin is looking at a pile of rejection letters from drama schools up and down the country, and facing a future without the people he loves the most. Everything seems like it’s ending, and Robin is scrabbling to find his feet.

Unsure about what to do ne
Published August 6th 2020 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Boy Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Queen

Start your review of Boy Queen
Anniek
There are a lot of things I liked about this, and a lot of things I thought could have been stronger.

What I liked best was the drag aspect of it - especially with the explicit ways to make it clear that drag is for everyone, not just for cis gay men. However, I would have liked to see this in more detail in the book. It took quite a while for Robin to even discover drag, and it felt like there could have been more of a focus on it.

My main issue is that the pacing of this book felt really of. In
Kate (GirlReading)
Full of honesty, heart and hope, this book will both break your and make it squee with joy.

For any 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' fans out there, this one's for you.

TW: multiple counts of the use of a homophobic slur, homophobia, physical attack due to homophobia
Dean Atta
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will be enjoyable for both diehards and newbies to drag. It’s full of fun, sass, and heart. Hang on to your wig because it will be snatched!
Andrew
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That was a hoot! *puts some Kylie on and dance it out*

Review taken from The Pewter Wolf, which will be going live in late April 2020

***Proofs given by UK publisher in exchange for an honest review/reaction***

Robin Cooper’s life is falling apart. While his friends are ready to go to uni, all he seems to be getting is rejection letters from most/all drama schools of the UK and Robin’s life seems to be spiralling. Unsure of himself and his talent, he and his best friends take him to a local gay ba
John Moore
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A joyous, beautifully-written contemporary full of sickening characters, a tempestuous love story, and DRAAAAAAG. Perfect reading for all my fellow queer folk, and especially for fans of Drag Race, and drag as an art form. Can’t recommend enough.

We’re always going to need a bit of glitter in the grey, especially with what’s happening in the world, and Boy Queen is not just a bit of glitter… it’s a whole cannon-full! 5/5 for the lovely @TheGeorgeLester and 'Boy Queen'. Full review here: https://l
Charlotte
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was exactly what I needed to read right now.
Helen
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2020, arcs
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review - thanks so much to Macmillan for sending this to me! Don't forget to check out my spoiler-free review on Youtube too!

Gloriously fun but also poignant and not afraid to shy away from deeper issues, Boy Queen takes us into the fabulously glittery world of drag in this book that felt a lot like Simon vs Homo Sapiens Agenda meets Dumplin'. A-level student Robin Cooper is eagerly awaiting the letter that will tell him
Janani(ஜனனி)⁷
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
IT WAS SO GOOD.
Shelly
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried, I cackled, i snorted. I had happy tears and sad moments.

This is such a stron YA contemorary and a very welcome edition to Queer YA.
This book covers a lot in a short amout of time and has you laughing the whole way through it.
Witty and emotional, like the best Drag Queens.

There are a lot od issues brought up in a sensituve but challenging way.
From homophobia, self doubt, bulling, assult, lying. Even the F word, which is thrown in the main chaecters face a few times.
Showing tha
Kathy
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was predisposed to enjoy this book, which is why I enthusiastically asked for an ARC from the publisher. I adored the drama, the theatre kid vibes, the connections between characters, and all things drag. This honestly brought tears to my eyes and I cannot wait for you all to read it.
Daniel
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time I read a book in a day. I started this book as soon as it arrived on my Kindle.
I enjoyed 'Boy Queen' so very much, it was incredible. It was such a Joyous story and I found myself grinning A LOT throughout. Every character was so well developed and added something to the story. I loved Robin's journey and how he blossomed into a drag queen, I also fell in love with Greg and Seth as well, but don't tell my husband. lol.
I think George is a talent and he will do wel
Alison
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was just as cute and gay as the author is and I adored it as much as I adore him.

(Does that sound weird? I hope not. George is a fave Booktuber and his videos always make me feel a little better and he's the sweetest gay cinnamon roll and so is his book.)

This was such a fun read, and since most of what I read are sad bitch books, this was a much-needed respite. While there is some exploration of more serious topics, specifically homophobia, the majority of the book is just a damn good
Alex
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12-and-13
Thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC of Boy Queen in exchange for an honest review.

Boy Queen was such an absolute delight of a story! Following Robin after the disappointment of not getting into his dream school, the story follows him as he navigates love, friendship, identity, and his new life as a Drag Queen.

You can definitely tell George Lester is a part of the drag community. Boy Queen is very up front about portraying the parts of the drag community you won't find on Drag Race of i
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I loved this, it’s a brilliant LGBT YA contemporary book. It’s a lighter read, full of humour, glamour of course and friendship, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t deal with serious issues too like anxiety, homophobia, hate and prejudice. I love the fact it shows the community of drag, the inclusivity in this community and friendships. I haven’t read a YA book before about drag and i thought it was amazing. Just a really heartwarming and joyful story that has me hooked and I don’t think I’ll be th ...more
Maddie
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Fun, camp, and full of self expression 'Boy Queen' was a delightful read. I loved the supportive cast of characters, the emphasis on living out loud and finding the thing that makes you shine. The romance plot lines were my favourite elements of the story, that made my heart flutter but didn't shy away from exposing the issues of being LGBT+ in a close minded community. A must-read for any fans of Drag Race and drag culture! ...more
Kirsty
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was utterly delightful. Wonderful range of awesome characters including the lead who you will love. A brilliant story about friendship and being true to yourself. Funny and full of heart. Real feel good YA. A glittering debut. I loved it.
Ryan Lynch
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My gay heart is FULL! What a brilliant story with some really heart warming characters!
aimee :)
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
i love this book so so much! As a huge fan of Drag it was right up my alley but i love following the path of a to-be drag queen.
Sasha Zatz
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Boy Queen by George Lester was a fabulous, heartfelt and fun story about coming into your own, with a loveable main character, wonderful friendships and sparkling all over with queer joy.
I loved this book so much! It was hilarious and full of fabulous drag shows as well as confronting homophobia and telling a relatable story about figuring out your path in life.
Our main character, Robin, was immediately likeable. He’s funny, confident and friendly. At first he was conflicted about his future, w
Jenna Rideout
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-netgalley
I received a free ARC of Boy Queen from the publisher in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley. Thank you so much to NetGalley, publisher MacMillan, and of course author George Lester for the opportunity to read this gem early!

Is the world ready for a drag queen's coming of age story? It had better be ready because Boy Queen is here serving high school senior baby drag realness that you don't want to miss out on! I read this book in a single day because I absolutely could not put it down!
Lauren
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Utter perfection!!!! Condragulations.

A Queer, Diverse YA Contemporary book with flawed characters, loyal friendships, some romance, heartache and of course lots of drama, but ultimately self exploration.

Robin Cooper, an Essex teenage, who is about to turn 18, feels lost and heartbroken when his dream College turns him down. For his 18th birthday Robin and his best friends go to the local gay bar for the Dragcellence show. During the drag show Robin starts to feel his passion and creativity com
Stacey Woods
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a newcomer to drag, having only so far watched the UK season of Ru Paul’s Drag Race (which Divina de Campo should’ve won btw), but I am absolutely here for this lovely little book about how to pick yourself up when your dreams are crushed. I’m also now slightly concerned that I am using phrases that are too young for me and that I sound like a grandma – but that’s a conversation for another day…

Boy Queen is George Lester’s first novel and, while I can’t claim to know George, I know OF him fr
Kristi Sawyer
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favourites
I mean...wow...where do I even begin?! Full disclosure...(and I can't believe I'm saying this)...George is my cousin, and he actually wrote this book! This isn't generally the genre I usually read, and I am ashamed to say that I have never been to a proper drag show before, but after this I SO NEED to!

I am amazed at how much I loved this book, and not just because I have a slight family bias. George managed to create this whole world of drag in my mind, full of glitter and music and sass. It's n
E.S.
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Robin life was going as he planned: his audition to the school of his dreams went spectacularly, he has an adorable secret boyfriend, an understanding mother, and some of the best friends in the world! But, with one rejection letter, his life comes crashing down. Now he has no plan for his future…until he is drawn into the world of drag. But, is his new passion consuming him to the point where he might lose everything else he has…or is it a step into a future career?

I loved this book. I couldn’t
Matthew
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, favorites
I became interested in reading "Boy Queen" by George Lester after seeing the cover and reading the synopsis, and I was thrilled to receive an e-ARC copy of it courtesy of Publisher's Group Canada via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The story of "Boy Queen" follows our main character Robin Cooper, a gifted dancer and performer with aspirations of attending the prestigious drama school LAPA (London Academy of Performing Arts) but, after receiving a rejection letter, he finds himself uns
HappyGoldenKim
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, if somewhat predictable, coming-of-age story with 6” heels and a dress to die for!
At 17, Robin’s life is in good order. He has a great relationship with his mum, is out at school, and after A-Levels plans to go drama school in London, flat-sharing with his best friend Natalie, who will study law in the city. He is working hard at school and in his dance classes and, other than a dubious not-quite relationship with so-far-in-the-closet-he’s-in-Narnia Connor, life is going pretty wel
Siobhan
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Boy Queen is a young adult novel about a boy from Essex whose life was falling apart until he tried drag himself. Robin is nearly eighteen and recently rejected from the drama schools he applied to, whilst his friends ready themselves to leave for University once school ends. A night out at the only local gay bar whilst a drag show is on opens Robin's eyes to the idea that might be something for him to do, not just watch, but it's not easy to balance with the rest of his life.

This is a fun novel
Triston
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
HUGE thanks to Pan Macmillan SA for sending me a copy of this!

"Sometimes, you gotta be your own biggest fan."
Guys, this book was one big happy queer story, exploring identity, self-expression, queerness, and ultimately Robin finding himself, and his place in the world!
This book had everything that makes me love a book! The writing was easy to digest and consistent! The tone was well balanced between the heartfelt, laugh-out-loud, and more serious and harrowing moments! The characters were well d
Kerys (The Everlasting Library)
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Boy Queen is a moving and heartfelt story about failed plans, new dreams and discovering who you are. It is beautifully queer and so so fun! I devoured this book in one go!

I adored Robin from the very first page and his personality shone through the book! I instantly connected to him and I wanted to protect him from all his hurt and homophobia he faced. Robin was a very real character who had highs and lows and s
Laura (Bookie_mama_bear)
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
thank you to @netgalley @macmillankidsuk & @thegeorgelester for my #gifted eARC of Boy Queen!
Omg where do I start?! This book made me laugh, cry, panic and slap my thigh (hard btw it stung!). Robin (MC) is an 18 yr old member of the LGBTQ+ community as is his pansexual bestie Natalie. They are a hilarious duo, they reminded me of me at high school & uni with my gay friends, constant banter/bickering but sheer love for each other too. Robin has a lot going on, he desperately wants to go to drama
« previous 1 3 4 next »