Start by marking “Powers That Be (Petaybee, #1)” as Want to Read:
Powers That Be (Petaybee, #1)

Powers That Be (Petaybee #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  5,437 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Strange things were happening on the icy planet called Petaybee. Unauthorized genetically engineered species had been spotted. Geologic survey teams sent to locate newly detected mineral deposits were either coming up empty - or disappearing altogether. And the locals weren't talking - especially not to the company bent on exploiting the planet.

Disabled combat veteran Yana
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Powers That Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers That Be

Gail Carriger
Powers That Be centers on Major Yanaba Maddock, a disabled veteran, sent to the icy planet Petaybee to die, but also on one last mission: to spy on the locals and find out what is really going on there. This book has a naive sweetness to it. It reminds me of early McCaffrey books, like the Dragonsinger series. (Also my favorite of her work, and feels very YA to me.) Or even like a Mercedes Lackey book. The storyline features a native culture full of good people having nice parties and being ver ...more
☘Misericordia☘  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈   ❂❤❣
Dd Jul 2016 Now, this is ONE BEAUTIFUL sci-fi borderline romance borderline space something! I read this about 10 yrs earlier and still am fond of it. I need to get my hands on the rest of the series like, yesterday!
Dd Aug 2017 This is sheer WOW! I keep returning to this book year after year, again and again. Somehow, it's immensely comforting.
Minh
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Anne McCaffrey is one of my guilty pleasures. Her Brain Ships series is probably one of my favourite SF series to read, and I'd thought for certain that I'd read most of her early trilogies. Powers That Be has never been a favourite of mine (I think the Crystal Singers is way up there though), I do own one or two of the novels from the Powers series, but for some reason it doesn't pull me as strongly as her other books do.

Yana, the main character is a battle stricken veteran who is sent to Peta
Twist
This is one of my favorite series by Anne McCaffrey. I love the world building she does. The people and the culture are fascinating. I would hate to live in such a cold place, but she almost makes it appealing.

Of course there are the usual big company politics, but the planet is far older than politics ever will be.

I highly recommend this whole series.
Alysha DeShaé
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post my conclusion here, though:

4.5 out of 5.0 stars

So, why did I knock off half a point? I think the relationship between Sean and Yana is a little rushed. I guess with everything else that goes on in the story that both characters are involved in that it just feels like they don’t have time to try to be a couple.

However, this book is incredible! If I had a physical edition of this book it would go on my special bookshelf. One day, I will own
Meghan
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a big fan of McCaffrey anyway, but this book is particularly strong. The premise has a breath of native american or druidic intent, but in that way anne has of making it all bigger than life.

After you get comfortable with the scenery (not a difficult task), the plot really takes over. You're pulling for the characters the whole time. I loved it.
Michael
This is the 1st book in the Petaybee series by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. In this one the planet Petaybee was terraformed two hundreds years ago. It is still an arctic world so it was forcibly settled by Inuit peoples from old Earth. They have adapted to their new world and have thrived but they hold a secret form Intergal, the company who terraformed Petaybee and owns the rights to the entire planet. When new mineral deposits are discovered, research teams are sent but many o ...more
Nicole Jackson
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing, engaging, and filled with a lovely blend of magic and science fiction. The romance was predictable, which is typical in Anne/Elizabeth collabs, but I never mind. I love the writing style and the LBTQ representation. I recommend to those looking for an interesting, easy, wonderful sci-fi/fantasy story!
Gaby
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy re-reading this. It's one of my favourites. It's a bit cheesy but I just enjoy it.
Brian Schiebout
Powers That Be by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the first book set in the Petaybee universe. The book is a romantic science fiction story whose main character Yanaba Maddock discovers that her life may not be over after all when she is sent off to the world of Petaybee. When the story begins her lungs are shot from poison gas which she inhaled during an insurrection on a planet where she was serving as company military. As a result she is discharged and sent to the ice planet o ...more
Daniel Millard
Barbara Klaser
I was surprised that I could come to like a setting that was mostly ice and snow! But once again McCaffrey, along with Elizabeth Scarborough this time, created a world that I could live in, and especially characters that I could love. I think my favorite is Bunny, the teenaged snocle driver who first befriends Yana Maddock and becomes her guide to this frozen world.

While the story is science fiction with a little fantasy, there's almost a spiritual aspect to it. It presents us with a planet that
Doris
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of the reasons I picked this up is, at the time it was written there were few good stories involving female veterans, at least not as the central character. In this, we have a female veteran who has been "released" from active duty, and sent to the planet Petaybee to recover from an injury she suffered in the line of duty. Like any military service, the release has a few conditions, in this case Yana is to spy on the colonists and report back on why the company is not seeing the results (pro ...more
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: me
Strange things were happening on the icy planet called Petaybee. Unauthorized genetically engineered species had been spotted, while some people were simply disappearing. None of the locals were talking to the company, so the company sent disabled combat veteran Yanaba Maddock to spy. But a strange thing happened. With her relocation to the arctic planet came a return of Yana's health and strength. And the more she got to know the people of Petaybee, the more determined she became to protect her ...more
Kris
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-choice
I enjoyed re-reading this book, having just finished the Twins of Petaybee which is a sequel trilogy. It's been years (10?) since I last read it and I can't wait to get my hands on the other two in this first trilogy. Major Yanaba Maddock, her lungs badly damaged in a military incident, is being retired to an out-of-the way planet populated by "ips", short for "inconvenient people". Strange things happen to Company investigators looking for the planet's supposedly rich resources, and Yana is ask ...more
Janet L. Hage
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most excellent, sci-fi and paranormal thriller

This is one of my families favorite books. Maj. Yana has been deposited onto this ice ball of a planet with only one year to live after she is damaged during an uprising on another planet. She has to work through all the company and service big wigs to get to health, love, and protection of the living planet. Well-written with well-developed characterization that you will love. With the violence and sexual content, I would recommend this book to thos
Christal Lavery
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As joyful a read as my first Pern novel didn't think it possible

I have read all the pern books more than once and thought it was not just Pern but the tantalizing mix of dragons,riders, telepathy and music that held me. It is really grand descriptive storytelling with all those elements making the created planet and characters jump to life which holds me. All the best of Mccafrey and Scarborough storytelling alive and thriving onPetaybee. Off to buy book 2 and recommend it to you.
Ruby
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans and scifi/fantasy fans
Jerry
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quickie Review

Anne McCaffrey may be one of the best-known names in science fiction literature, but this book was merely mediocre. The plot was okay, but it wasn't as engrossing as it could have been, and the writing felt lackluster. If you're new to this author, I would suggest reading The Dragonriders of Pern first, though veteran McCaffrey fans might enjoy this to a degree.

Score: 2.75/5
Hilary
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was another of those books where the characters changed so much between the beginning and the end that I felt compelled to start re-reading right away. The unusual mix of Inuit and Irish traditions meant for interesting reading, and from an anthropological standpoint I also enjoyed seeing the comparison between The Company and The Natives.
Amy
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started off really promising and was mostly good. And then the ending was truly awful. Everything I hate about fantasy and romance packed into just a few chapters. Ugh.
(view spoiler)
Jon
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mccaffrey
This has a wonderful sense of wonder, character and worldbuilding that reminds me why I read science fiction. It's paced on the slower side to really give you a feel for the world and immerse you in it (as a caveat for those more into extreme action books), but that's intentional and it comes across very naturally and well written. Beautiful book all the way around.
Courtney
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this book all the way back in junior high. I'm pleased to say I enjoyed it just as much now as I did then.

Mm. I'll try to write a longer review when I'm on my computer.
Debi Fields
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-sci-fi
amazing characters. pataybe is one of the wonderfully created worlds. I love the old worldbelief woven into the story
Kamini Mehta
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I read a lot of Anne McCaffrey, when I was much younger. Reading this was a little like coming home. And the collaboration with Scarborough is good.
Sherri Taylor

written with Scarborough
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Powers That Be (Petaybee, #1)
McCaffrey, Anne
a surviving soljar has landed on the cold planet of Plythbee and learns that the planet is alive and concious.
Kendra
First in a new series by the author. I've actually read it before, but it had been a while, and I grabbed my own copies of the series.

Sentient planet, corrupt Company, lots of cool happenings!
Alissandra D.
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
its a good book so far i need more action though this is one of the bests books ever
Gail Carriger Fan...: May 2016: Powers That Be by McCaffrey & Scarborough 4 21 May 16, 2016 06:57AM
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The People of Pern
  • Cat Scratch Fever (Cat Scratch, #1)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Exile's Honor (Heralds of Valdemar, #6)
  • Second Genesis
  • Star Light
  • The Gods of Mars / The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom #2-3)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Petaybee (3 books)
  • Power Lines (Petaybee, #2)
  • Power Play (Petaybee, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)