Start by marking “The Archangel: An Azrael Story (The Soul Summoner)” as Want to Read:
The Archangel: An Azrael Story (The Soul Summoner)

The Archangel: An Azrael Story

(The Soul Summoner)

The Archangel of Death is the master of taking human life. But keeping mortals alive? Not exactly Azrael's forte.

For thousands of years, Azrael’s greatest enemy has been silent. Leaving him in relative peace for the first time since the great angel war.

Now that silence has been broken, and the Morning Star has returned with a dangerous ultimatum: Azrael can join, or
Published December 20th 2019 by Inkwell & Quill, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Archangel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Archangel

Start your review of The Archangel: An Azrael Story (The Soul Summoner)
Madison Warner Fairbanks
The Archangel by Elicia Hyder

A backstory of Azrael; a Soul Summoners Companion story. Book 3. Should be read as part of the series.
This story is of Azrael in the past with pregnant wife Nadine. Warren’s mother.
Not a happy story. In fact, sad.
It does explain and clear up questions from the series. It gives us a clearer picture of Azrael.

A urban fantasy series of angels, demons, death, and the struggle for power and life.
Unique and unmatched. More cliffhanger as part of the series.
Kathryn
What sacrifice would you make to save your child, to save the world? This is how I started my review for book #5 in The Soul Summoner series. These questions are still pertinent to this short story in the series as well. This is the story of Azrael, the Archangel of Death, and Nadine, his human wife just prior to and just after the birth of their son, Warren Parish. Azrael is making preparations that would enable him to remain near his family after the baby is born, and to keep them all safe ...more
Deborah
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, adult
This precursor novella to the Soul Summoner series fills in the back story of Warren’s parents – the human woman Nadine, and the Archangel of Death, Azrael.
It’s a pleasure to finally get inside Az’s head, and at the same time heart-rending, because you know the final outcome, and yet you still can’t help but hope it might turn out different this time.
It’s a quick read, but really well worth it as ever with Hyder’s stories – well written, great dialogue, super characterisation. Yes, I’m a fan
Linda
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars instead of 5 for calling this story a "book." I would classify this less as a book and more of a long short story or novelette. I mean, I read it in about 2 hours. Nevertheless, it's very good as part of Elicia Hyder's wonderful Soul Summoner series.

The Archangel: An Azrael Story is classified as a "companion story" to the series. In each of her three companion stories, Hyder elaborates on a particular main protagonist's back story, taking place before the main series events begin. It's
Cynthia Wu
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soul Summoner series is a totally nail-biting whirlwind of supernatural events surrounding three main characters Sloan, Nathan and Warren. Though within the series, "the supporting cast" gets a fair mentioning, most of them, such as Azrael, lurks in the background with a mystical aura around him, leaving much room for readers to speculate the reasoning behind his hidden agenda and plans. A massive thank you goes to Elicia for gifting us The Companion Stories, providing us insights into the life ...more
Evelyn Dotson
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Azrael and Nadine when she was pregnant with Warren. They were happy and in love. He never thought he would get a human pregnant with his child. Nadine had the ability to see angels, a gift she inherited from her father. Her mother and father are in town for the birth of their baby. Their friends Flint and Sheryl are expecting as well. The Morning Star has appeared to make Azrael an offer, but Azrael keeps refusing. The consequences of the refusals are huge and horrid! The ...more
Diane
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE BOOK ONE OF THE BEST SERIES!!!!
I voluntarily reviewed a copy of "THE ARCHANGEL" "AZRAEL'S STORY" I loved getting the beginning and the background on Azrael the Archangel before he had his son Warren whow was one of the main characters in the "SOUL SOMMNER SERIES"
It was how he came to Earth with other fallen to be in service of humanity which angered the Angels, he never was going to be a father but when he and Nadine's his wife became pregnant he was thrilled, she had the ability to see Angels and knew who what he was.
Sussan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely little fact filling in piece, answering some questions and filling in backstory and details giving a fuller understanding to the overall story.
I really enjoyed find out more information about Az, his journey and his powerful ability to love and nurture which is not always apparent in other books.
There are no spoilers in this, per say, this could be read before the other books but it just gives a greater clarification for some of the events and decisions made later. I have
alr3
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is Elicia Hyder actually an Angel???

The bad news? You really need to have read ALL of The Soul Summoner series and the other two companion books, in publication order, BEFORE you read The Archangel.

The good news? You really need to have read ALL of The Soul Summoner series and the other two companion books, in publication order, BEFORE you read The Archangel.

Even given the bits and pieces of Archangel Azreal’s past we’ve picked up over time, this book fills in so many blanks, and explains so
The Mysterious Reader
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, Elicia Hyder’s The Archangel: An Azrael Story (The Soul Summoner Companion Stories Book 3) is indeed a prequel to her Soul Summoner series (though I think reading it as I did after the current 9 books of that series is the best approach), but it’s a perfectly great book even for those who haven’t read that series. (Scattered thoughts aside here: you really, really should read that series if you have t yet.). This is the story of Azrael (yup, that one: the Archangel of Death) and Nadine when ...more
Crystal Pinson
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Az’s Story...

Gave us so many answers, but also raised some more questions. My favorite part of this series is that I can easily entertain myself with musings until the next book is released. I have always loved Az, even when I was worried he wasn’t to be trusted, but I have never truly understood him. This companion book from the series starts to fill in some gaps. It was good, but heartbreaking... thankfully, I went in knowing it would be!

If you haven’t read this series, I suggest going back
Annette Miranda
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is almost where it all began, Azrael and Nadine and Warren. The Archangel had never planned to fall in love, had sworn to the Powers That Be that he wouldn't father a child. He did. And now he is gathering the troops, literally, and his Heavenly connections to keep his son and the woman he loves safe. The Morning Star seeks the power his son will wield. The Heavenly Council fears that same power. Even Azrael is a threat to the life that is growing in Nadine's womb. The threats build as fast ...more
Linda Carlson
Oh.My.Gosh!

It can’t be helped, you will read this story in just one sitting! You won’t be able to put it down, it’s that good!

No spoilers just advice, take the day off work, get a babysitter, order food in! This book needs your complete, undivided attention, and it may take some wine, in order to absorb this enlightening, but chilling chain of events!

If you have read the Summoner series, you already know that each and every book is better than good, they are mind-blowingly creative! Up until
Leisel
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent background story on Azrael which nicely fills in any spaces in the Soul Summoner series.
Not that there have been any but it gives you a nice overview of characters which crop up along throughout the rest of the series, for example Flint and his family.
Recommendation would be to not read this first if picking up Elicia Hyder's The Soul Summoner series as I think you might be confused but it sits excellently as a nice in filler within the series.
Again Elicia Hyder does not disappoint
Connie
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Archangel is a standalone story that happens three decades before The Soul Summoner begins. Azrael is about to become a father even though he swore that he wouldn't father a child. His love for Nadine and baby Warren starts a ball rolling that's carried out through The Soul Summoner series. If you enjoy The Soul Summoner, this is a must read...Elicia Hyder is an awesome writer and The Archangel: An Azrael Story (The Soul Summoner Companion Stories Book 3) hooked me from the start...it made ...more
Heidi Pergolski
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Archangel gives us a glimpse into Azreal’s past; his life just before Warren. We see the main characters on a deeper level; with a greater understanding of why Azreal is the way he is earlier in the series. Some answers are given to questions asked previously, example, what exactly happened when Warren was born and why did he end up in foster care? Once again I was blown away by the ease of Elicia’s storytelling ability! I could feel the raw emotions pouring from the pages. It is as if I can ...more
Christine
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What happens when an Archangel falls in love with a human - and a fallen angel has evil plans for the couple and their child? Fans of the Soul Summoner series know the answer, but like Jeopardy, the nuance is in the questions that arise. As a stand alone, this is a satisfying read. As a supplement to the series, it’s an important element in this fascinating world. I finished The Archangel torn between diving into it again, re-reading a particular book in the larger series, and getting at least a ...more
Michealeen
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heart

Knowing the ending of this book, from reading the Soul Summoner Series, made it easy yet hard to read this book. My heart breaks for Azreal & Nadine. I enjoyed reading about their love for each other &their unborn son. To enter this world from the beginning was insightful, raw &passionate for me as I relish each book Elicia Hyder has written for this amazing series!!!!!!!
Kathy
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story about Azrael. It really explained the beautiful love relationship between Azrael and Nadine and the emotional birth of their child, Warren. This story filled in some gaps of the hierarchy of angels, their responsibilities and relationships in Eden and here on earth. It was an emotional read without sacrificing Azrael's sense of humor that we have come to know and love. A great background story to one of the main characters of the "Soul Summoner" series.
Suzanne Giorgione
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a backstory of Azrael and Nadine. You need to read it as part of the entire Soul Summoner Series. A fantastic story to fill in all the blanks of what occurred when their son Warren was born. So much love and loss, good vs. evil. Heart-wrenching but necessary to let us know how it all happened and why. As usual Elicia Hyder hit it out of the park and gave us another fantastic story that makes me continue to love this series and I never want it to end.
Amber Todd
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another heartfelt and fantastic book written by Elicia Hyder. I knew Azrael's story would be emotional, but I wasn't prepared to be so touched. I love reading these back stories because they can really change your perspective, which makes re-reading a series so much fun. Azrael has always been so in control and closed off, but now I feel like I know Az so much better now.
Leah Hines
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
And she has done it again! Elicia Hyder creates characters and worlds you become completely invested in. This is part of Azrael's backstory. It explains a lot and throws in a couple shocks for good measure. I laughed, had a clenched stomach, and a few tears too. If you haven't read the Soul Summoner series you are seriously missing out.
Gillian Paulus
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Learn how Azrael fell

For those who have read the Soul Summoner series, we know the general story of Azrael's fall and Warren's birth. This companion book tells the story in detail, from Az`s point of view. It was interesting to learn more detail.
Deb Dionne
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Archangel

Oh my...I feel like crying but at the same time, I now understand so much better what happened. This book definitely pulls the heartstrings so very hard. I wish it could have been so much longer. A fantastic story. I highly recommend it!
Barbara Richwalski
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow,, i feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride with this guy. Like, him hate him, boy just can't tell. What a great way to explain all the beginning before where all of it started Loving the Series!!!
Thomisha
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This book was amazing!! With on a lil over 100 pages, I got so much out of this book! It was especially great to read after The Guardian, it explained so much and went along with it great!
Michele Evans
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! So amazing!

Loved this story and hearing from Azraels POV. Getting to witness the love between Nadine and him for little baby Warren was amazing. The ending was heartbreaking even though I knew it was coming!
Val Moss
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Wow! I loved it! I wasn't sure I would. I'm not usually crazy about going back, but it was awesome to see why Az is the way he is now. So many things make more sense!
connie deloach
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awsom

Loved it, loved it. A great book to as to the series. Explains so much. Great job. Can't wait for the next
Shawna Mixon
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew some of Azrael's story, but it was nice to have a backstory to see how he got to where he was before Warren knew of him and who he was.

• Boundary Haunted (Boundary Magic, #5)
  • Wilhelmina, A Winter Bride (Brides for All Seasons, #1)
  • Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)
  • Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Dog River Wolfpack, #1)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Gift of the Darkness (The Gateway Trackers Book 7)
  • Harley Merlin 14: Finch Merlin and the Forgotten Kingdom
  • Sin & Spirit (Demigods of San Francisco, #4)
  • Emperor's Throne (Desert Cursed #6)
  • By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Ink Inspired (Montgomery Ink, #0.5)
  • Ink Reunited (Montgomery Ink, #0.6)
  • The Temple of Forgotten Secrets (After The Rift, #4)
  • Met Her Match
  • Crown of Fire (The Forbidden Fae #1)
Elicia Hyder is a bestselling author of paranormal suspense and contemporary romance. You can get a FREE eBOOK by clicking this link: Get The Detective for FREE.

When I'm not writing, I can be found sipping craft beer in my blow-up swimming pool or beating my children at Harry Potter trivia. I am married to a superhero and have two dogs with severe separation anxiety. I suck at CAPTCHA puzzles and

The Soul Summoner (9 books)
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
  • The Siren (The Soul Summoner, #2)
  • The Angel of Death (The Soul Summoner, #3)
  • The Taken (The Soul Summoner, #4)
  • The Sacrifice  (The Soul Summoner, #5)
  • The Regular Guy: A Nathan McNamara Story (The Soul Summoner #6)
  • The Soul Destroyer (The Soul Summoner #7)
  • The Guardian (The Soul Summoner #8)
  • The Daughter of Zion (The Soul Summoner #9)