Start by marking “Under the Radar (A Zoe Chambers Mystery Book 9)” as Want to Read:
Under the Radar (A Zoe Chambers Mystery Book 9)

Under the Radar

(Zoe Chambers Mysteries #9)

Paramedic and deputy coroner Zoe Chambers responds to a shooting and discovers her longtime friend, Horace Pavelka, has gunned down a man who’d bullied him mercilessly for decades. Ruled self-defense, no charges are filed. When another of his tormentors turns up dead in Horace’s kitchen, Police Chief Pete Adams questions the man’s innocence in both cases…especially after ...more
Paperback, First, 288 pages
Published February 25th 2020 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about Under the Radar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Radar

Start your review of Under the Radar (A Zoe Chambers Mystery Book 9)
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Dollycas’s Thoughts

I have enjoyed this series from the start and each book is better than the last and they are all great.

This time there is a lot happening in Zoe’s life.

Zoe and Pete are now engaged and Zoe’s mother is determined to take over all the wedding plans. She is also not pleased that the farmhouse she gave to her daughter is not further along in its renovations.

The highly contested Coroner’s race is just a few days away. If the current coroner is not reelected Zoe will lose her
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/38EXt6w

Annette Dashofy’s Zoe Chambers series is one of my favorites. In this newest release, Under the Radar, the writing is exquisite, characters well drawn, and the mystery spellbinding. Character development is one of the highlights of this series, as we get to know the regulars well and care about them. They are realistically drawn and relatable, people you could expect to meet in your own community.

While the story has elements of cozy mystery
RO G'ma
Under the Radar is the ninth book in Annette Dashofy’s Zoe Chambers Mysteries series. The storyline is well-plotted, the three-dimensional characters are well developed, and there are lots of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged. This is a fast-paced book and hard to put down; however, it’s more intense and contains more adult language than most cozy mysteries. The books in this series can be read as standalones.

Zoe Chambers is a paramedic and deputy coroner for Monongahela County,
Grace Koshida
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paramedic and deputy coroner Zoe Chambers finds her high school friend Horace Pavelka has gunned down Dennis Culp, a man who bullied him mercilessly for decades. Ruled self-defense, no charges are filed and Horace is set free. Dennis's buddies, Stanley and Grant Jennings, return to Horace’s house where one of them is shot dead and Horace and his girlfriend Belinda go into hiding. A fourth man involved in the confrontation at Horace's house, Reese Perkins, has also vanished.

Police Chief Pete
Katherine
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Zoe, a paramedic and deputy coroner, responds to a shooting to find a dead body and her friend, Horace, confessing to the crime. Horace claims he was defending himself - the victim attacked him with a baseball bat when Horace drove into his own driveway, hitting the car repeatedly until Horace shot him through a hole the man had made in the windshield. The dead man had not come alone, but the other men did not help Horace and ran when Horace took the shot. The victim had bullied Horace for ...more
Diane Hernandez
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour, edelweiss
Zoe juggles a murder, a marriage, and a missing half-brother in Under the Radar.

Zoe is a paramedic and a part-time deputy coroner in western Pennsylvania. Plus her boyfriend, Pete, is the local police chief. So you can see why she gets involved in so many mysteries.

In this entry in the series, Zoe is called out to a shooting. Her childhood friend Horace is the shooter but he has an excuse. The victim has been bullying Horace for years and today was no exception. Horace is let off on
Brenda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent character development in the latest in this series!

As if being a paramedic wasn't enough stress, Zoe Chambers is engaged to a cop, is a part time deputy coroner, has a demanding mother who gifted her with a falling down farm house, and now Zoe discovers she has an adult half-brother she never knew existed.

When Zoe's childhood friend Horace Pavelka's tormentor is killed, Zoe feels obligated to prove Horace is not a murderer. Other crimes keep Pete busy while Zoe's Mom. Kimberly,
Jeanie Jackson
Yes, yes, yes! Under the Radar is such an awesome book! Annette Dashofy has once again created a tale that held me in thrall. From concern over the tightly contested election for county coroner to need to work on wedding plans, Zoe's life is busy enough before an old friend gets in hot water and you know Zoe is going to be right in the middle of things. The return of a new friend brings some unexpected news that leads Zoe on a treasure hunt of sorts. Even if she finds that special treasure, it ...more
Sandy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although I enjoyed the mystery, what I really like about this series are the characters. They are so well developed and realistic that I feel like I could walk into the town and actually meet them. I want to keep reading to see where their lives are going. And this book really surprised me. I even wound up liking Zoe’s mother.

If you like really well written police procedurals or are looking for a change from cookie cutter cozy mysteries, I would really recommend the Zoe Chambers series.
Edie
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zoe and Pete are engaged. But Zoe's mother insists on planning the wedding and it's not what Zoe wants.And Zoe's friend, Horace Pavelka, is involved in the deaths of two men who had bullied him all his life. Zoe is also still trying to find her half-sibling, whom she has never met. Well written. Great characters.
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Zoe Chambers is a paramedic and deputy coroner in Monongahela County, Pennsylvania. Her fiancé Pete Adams, is the sheriff. When she learns there's been a shooting - and her longtime friend Horace Pavelka is the shooter, she and her partner Earl run to the scene. The dead man, Dennis Culp, has a history of bullying Horace. When Pete learns from everyone around that Dennis was beating on Horace's car with a baseball bat and threatening him, it's apparent that this was self-defense. He also learns ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was another great addition to the Zoe Chambers Mystery series. I have said it before, but I love this series. It is what I call a "smart cozy". Zoe is not an amateur sleuth, she is a paramedic and deputy coroner. She is also engaged to the chief of police. She has a reason to be at a crime scene as well as to do some investigating. Unfortunately, she doesn't always know where the line is that she should not cross and that is when she runs into difficulty. She is still looking for her ...more
Christy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that I found this series! Under the Radar is the 9th book in the Zoe Chambers Mystery series, but it’s the first I’ve read. It can easily be read as a stand alone book. I think there are only a couple of “spoilers” from the prior books. The first would be the fact that Zoe and Pete are engaged, but you can see that in the synopsis. The other would just take away a bit of surprise from a prior book. Regardless, I’ll be going back to read the prior books because I enjoyed this one so ...more
JenniferJ
Fast paced mystery with hometown like characters that are so believable they could possibly be your own neighbors and so many twists that it will definitely keep the reader on the edge of their seats!

The ninth book in the series this one has a lot going on with Zoe, a wedding to plan, a meddling mother to deal with, a brother she never knew existed, and that's just the family issues! Toss in an old childhood friend confessing to murder and we have full blown icing on the cake so to speak!

*I was
Kathy
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I have loved every book in this series, but this one just may be the best one!

Ms. Dashofy really knows how to juggle multiple story lines. I like that her characters stay true.

The last third of the book, in particular, had more twists and turns than a Clarion County back road.

It's been a long time since I've wanted to slap a character as much as I wanted to slap Zoe's mother Kimberly. I definitely was involved in her story line.

Action...romance...humor...who could ask more from a book?

Marie McNary
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the series I read and I really enjoyed it. The author does a great job of bringing you into Zoe’s world. I didn’t feel left behind starting the series in the middle. The characters are full of life and the mystery kept me hooked from beginning to end.

Marian
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2020
Well, I didn’t see that coming. Annette Dashofy’s new book, “Under the Radar”, had me saying that more than once. Zoe and Pete find themselves in more than one situation that makes one wonder if they are ever going to actually have a wedding. This is a must read!
Lisa Hudson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K-BRC
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great cozy series with incredible characters set in a suspenseful storyline. Can be read as a standalone, but you’ll want to read all once you’ve read this. 5 Star Must Read!
Floyd
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Annette Dashofy has written another fun cozy mystery with lots of twists and turns. Zoe is now engaged and she knows who she wants to build her wedding cake. Two problems present themselves. First, her baker is being charged with murder - not one, but three. Second, her mom has scheduled the wedding and reserved the venue 1500 miles away from where Zoe lives and without consulting Zoe. It was going to be an interesting month.

I think I knew Zoe’s mom - she was also my wife’s mother. Except, Zoe’s
Erin
Jane Reads (Jane in SC)
Feb 23, 2020
Cynthia Kuhn
Feb 13, 2020
Annette Dashofy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Patrizia
Brenda
Dec 21, 2019
Nessa
Dec 22, 2019

• Stayin' Alive (Country Club Murder #10)
  • A Mysterious Mix Up (Allie Cobb Mystery #3)
  • My Fair Latte (Cafe Cinema Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Book of Candlelight (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #3)
  • Sealed Off (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #8)
  • Hap: The Prize Winning Horse
  • Within Plain Sight: A Detective Byron Mystery
  • Dateline Memphis: A Nichelle Clarke Novella
  • Statue of Limitations (A Goddess of Greene St. Mystery #1)
  • Mums and Mayhem (A Magic Garden Mystery #3)
  • Love Lettering
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • No Man's Land (FBI K-9 #4)
  • Murder On The Chopping Block (Red Carpet Catering Mystery #7)
  • The Great Iowa Caucus Casserole Mystery: A Cozy Potluck Paradise Cafe Mystery
  • Ghosts of Painting Past (Aurora Anderson, #5)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
USA Today bestselling author Annette Dashofy has spent her entire life in rural Pennsylvania surrounded by cattle and horses. When she wasn’t roaming the family’s farm or playing in the barn, she could be found reading or writing. After high school, she spent five years as an EMT on the local ambulance service, dealing with everything from drunks passing out on the sidewalk to mangled bodies in ...more

Zoe Chambers Mysteries (9 books)
  • Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1)
  • Lost Legacy (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #2)
  • Bridges Burned (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #3)
  • With a Vengeance (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #4)
  • No Way Home (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #5)
  • Uneasy Prey (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #6)
  • Cry Wolf (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #7)
  • Fair Game (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #8)