Start by marking “The Art of Deception” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  2,374 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Adam Haines was an artist visiting the Fairchild mansion to do some undercover digging, and that was a problem for a man who preferred to be straightforward. An even bigger problem was Kirby Fairchild, daughter of the world-famous painter he'd been sent to investigate. She was part child, part elf, and the most fascinating woman he'd ever encountered. However, Kirby had a ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 274 pages
Published December 14th 2000 by Thorndike Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Deception

Sonia Cristina
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Não achei que fosse dos melhores, mas também não foi dos piores. Ainda me ri em algumas cenas, Kirby e o pai tinham umas saídas mesmo loucas e o cão e a gata juntavam-se à festa. ;D

Do que gostei mais foi que nem Kirby nem Adam fossem aquele tipo de personagem que resiste aos sentimentos e não se quer apaixonar e quando acontece recusa, etc...
Amelia Elizabeth
I have to say this was my least favorite Nora Roberts. It was a struggle to get through. I couldn't connect with the characters, I really didn't care what happened to them. The writing was good and I was interested in the plot.
Brooke
May 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I got this book as part of the Whispered Promises compilation.

The gist: Kirby’s father is a famous painter. Adam is a well-known painter. Adam comes to stay in their house for a few weeks. Kirby’s dad does forgeries of famous, classic paintings. It’s fraud, but he’s not a bad guy. Anyway, a Rembrandt painting has been stolen and Adam is there, secretly, to find the Rembrandt. Kirby and Adam fall in love. There are a couple attempts made on Kirby’s life. The whole plot with the Rembrandt is unrav
Katie B-K
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Totally thought this book was new until the characters started smoking cigarettes and I realized it was a reprint. Enjoyed it well enough.
Emily
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by my last two books so I decided to return to an old favorite who I knew would give me a quick, romantic, easy read and I wasn’t disappointed. I’m a pretty big fan of Nora Roberts because I think she does romance without being trashy and every girl could use more romance in her life (trashy has its place as well.) Side note: two of my favorite romance series are Roberts’ Bride Quartet and the Inn Boonsboro trilogy. Check them out! This novel introduces us to the feisty Kirby, ...more
Barb
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
part elf, and the most fascinating woman he'd ever encountered. She also had a disconcertingly sense of right and wrong. Adam's own code of ethics was much broader. Is this relationship able to develop in spite
Robert L. Fletcher
Just Nora Roberts

A bit of Nora Roberts every week or two is just awesome. The grass is greener the sky is bluer the days are nicer and the nights are restful. It doesn't matter which of her books you read or the trilogies you get lost in it is a wonderful and spellbinding trip. I am a male. 85 years old with at least 50 of Nora's books on my kindle and I consider her one of the very best writers and each and every one of her books a five star read thank you
Romanticdryad
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nora-roberts
I enjoyed this one. The love story was pretty conventional and it bugged me that, with all the secrecy around Adam's true reason for being there, the actual secret turned out to be the least interesting part of the book, but I liked it.

I find I seem to enjoy Roberts' criminals with a heart of gold a lot, and the banter and odd sort of dramatic gameplaying of the father/daughter duo was fairly enjoyable although I might find it exhausting in real life.
Mónica Horta
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Este livro provocou em mim reacções ambíguas. Se por um lado gostei do Adam, por outro achei a Kirby e o pai meio loucos. Já para não falar do cão e do gato e da sua relação estranhíssima... Não é mesmo dos melhores livros de Nora Roberts.
Judy A. howard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good as always

Once again Nora write a story like no other story she has done before. It a great cast of characters
Yvonne
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captured me! I love the character of Kirby Fairchild! She's strong and crazy but also vulnerable and loving! A great combination!
Don Golden
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of Deception

As always Nora Roberts comes through with a well written novel. The plot was moving and kept you wanting to read on. I never guessed who wanted to harm Kirby. Loved the eccentric papa (Philip) and Harriet. Card was a kick. I would recommend for a good run read.
Holley
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the second Nora Roberts I have read recently that I thought had to be from the 70s or early 80s, not with a 2000 publication date. Everybody smokes. No cell phones. Although the heroine is a strong female, the author worked too hard to make the characters quirky.
Tania Martins
Girinho dentro do estilo a que se propõe, achei a protagonista Kirby muito mandada para a frente para a época e achei todo o romance com o Adam muito rápido, num flash amavam-se loucamente...já para não falar do cão e da gata completamente estranhos bem como o pai de Kirby...
Lysa Hadley
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had some very interesting, eccentric characters. The plot was interesting and had me guessing but overall not one of Nora Roberts best. This is one of her earlier works and the writing is so very good, the book isn't bad, just not as good as her others that I've read.
Kristi Hunsaker Dalton
Surprisingly surprised

Must've forgotten Nora Roberts was a romance novelist when I chose the book which isn't really my thing but I enjoyed the mystery and was genuinely surprised in the end.
Cheryll Bouzek
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting cast of characters

This book was a different style of writing than I'm used to from Nora Roberts. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Joy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think that the author has improved with time. I didn't love the characters and it didn't seem to be particularly involved, and yet, it kept me reading, a couple of nights in a row, past my bedtime.
Brenda H Seales
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Read!!!

This is a great story. I loved the quicker side of this book. I recommend it to all. Nora Roberts rocks!!!!
LB
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
yawn. too mushy
Judith m cox
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

Excellent story, enjoyable characters. Just the right amount suspense to keep you reading well into the night. Another great read from Nora Roberts.
Tonya Turner
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice

I enjoyed this story and the characters. It took me a little while to become involved, however it was good.
Vanessa
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro foi-me oferecido em Setembro do ano passado e, como estava com dificuldades em decidir o que havia de ler no final deste mês, acabei por pegar nele para que finalmente pudesse ser lido.

Este é um livro repleto de mistério, paixão, arte, desejo, amizade, amor, tensão, intriga e artimanhas do início ao fim, com um enredo ritmado e apelativo e com personagens carismáticas, fortes e muito interessantes. Como de costume, a escrita da autora mostra-se simples e descontraída e propicia uma le
Mojca
Adam Haines comes into the Fairchild manor under false pretenses. Yes, he's an artist who needs a short retreat, yes, the Fairchild collection is stunning...But he's also looking for a stolen Rembrandt as a favor to his cousin who works for an insurance company.

But what could easily be a simple investigation, soon gets complicated by Kirby Fairchild, an eccentric artist herself, who enchants and captures Adam.

It started off nicely with Adam working undercover and the two Fairchilds embroiled in
Maura
Ritesh
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the best way to start the review the book is that I am so glad I finished it! It brings in me a sense of liberation, free from the clutches of self-imposed rule of having to complete a book I started.

Forget understanding how love blossomed between the two main characters in less time than it would take you to spell the four letter word, forget your sincere attempts to feel the suspense that the book is trying to create, forget the sense in all the nonsense that fills up the book - once
Cruth
Author: Nora Roberts
First published: 1986
Length: 328 pages
Setting: Contemporary. Rural New York.
Sex: Hand-wavy 80’s sex.
Hero: Painter / Investigator.
Heroine: Sculptor.

Nora Roberts i a very, very competent author. First published in 1986, The Art of Deception is engaging, funny, sexy, with just enough suspense. It’s an easy read. And it’s probably the sort of book Roberts can whip up in her sleep.

Overall, I liked it. There isn’t much to dislike. But it is eminently forgettable. There is nothing r
Luccia Haughton
Aug 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
"I want to write a strong female character!", Mrs Nora Roberts exclaimed. "And once I have my template I will use it in every single book I write!".
The idea behind the story was ingenious to say the least. Yet very poor execution made it an awfully dull read. I wrote Harry Potter fan fiction better than this when I was in 5th grade, and my characters actually had depth and developed through the course of silly smut.
These 'middle aged moms with no more spice in their marriage' books are not my
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Rothchild adalah pasangan ayah dan anak yg memiliki karakter unik. Sebagai seorang detektif dari agen asuransi, Adam masuk dalam keluarga ini dan menemukan banyak hal yang tidak lumrah, dan membuatnya bingung serta jatuh hati pada Kirby.
Seperti biasa, karakter2 unik selalu ditampilkan NR dalam setiap buku2 yang ditulisnya, dan kadang saya berpikir, bagaimana cara NR melakukan riset sehingga bisa menemukan banyak sekali karakter yang bisa dipergunakannya dalam buku2 yang ditulisnya. Memang bisa s
Ann
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
An easy read. Kirby reminded me of Maggie (another artist from Nora Roberts` Born in Fire), being a bit crazy in the best way.

I did not undestand Adam`s purpose at first. I knew what he wanted to find but not why. His attraction to Kirby (and her for him) was obvious. Though I did not understand her rush to get married!?! It was like, they met and immediately she declared her love for him. The mandatory drama was brought in when Kirby found out about Adam`s agenda.

What bothered me was the cons
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Escape from Cabriz
  • The Playboy & Plain Jane (Dynasties: The Barones #1)
  • Kat and the Dare-Devil Spaniard (The Balfour Brides #2)
  • The Royal Wedding Night (Royals, #3)
  • The One-Night Wife (O'Connells, #5)
  • The Third Wife
  • The Soldier's Secret Daughter (Top Secret Deliveries #3)
  • Jodoh Sang Jutawan Italia (Counts of Calvani , #2)
  • Man of Ice (Bighorn, Wyoming #2)
  • Ya, Saya Bersedia, Tapi... (I Do, I Do... For Now)
  • An Accidental Engagement - Pertunangan Tak Disengaja
  • Pelajaran Cinta [Lesson To Learn]
  • The Unforgiving Bride (Hawk's Way #6)
  • Dreamscapes
  • The Sheik and the Bought Bride (Desert Rogues, #13) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1999)
  • Highland Fling (Perfect Timing #2)
  • Annie and the Red-Hot Italian (The Balfour Brides, #6)
More about Nora Roberts...