Start by marking “The Book of Ichigo Ichie: The Art of Making the Most of Every Moment, the Japanese Way” as Want to Read:

Learn to make every moment a once-in-a-lifetime experience with this definitive guide to the Japanese art of ichigo ichie, from the bestselling authors of Ikigai.

Ikigai urges individuals to simplify their lives by pursuing what sparks joy for them’ (Marie Kondo)

Every moment in our life happens only once, and if we let it slip away, we lose it forever-an idea captured by t
Published January 2nd 2020 by Quercus (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Ichigo Ichie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Ichigo Ichie

Start your review of The Book of Ichigo Ichie: The Art of Making the Most of Every Moment, the Japanese Way
Nadiah Razali
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
5 things I learn from this book is:

1) Each experience is unique and can't be repeated in the same way. Live and appreciate the present moment.

2) Seize every moment and be an opportunist

3) Find your purpose of living, persevere and grow your passion.

4) What matter isn't how many more years we might live, but what we will do with the time we have left.

5) Be you. You are unique. Celebrate imperfection!
Zhuo Zhang
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is an easy read, but needs some effort to apply the following to daily life. In general, be present and cherish the presence.

Ten Rules of Ichigo Ichie
1. Don't postpone special moments
2. Live as if this were going to happen only once in your life
3. Dwell in the present
4. Do something you've never done before.
5. Practice zazen
6. Apply mindfulness to your five sense
7. Notice coincidences
8. Make every gathering a party.
9. If you don't like what there is, make something different.
10. Be a hunter o
Lucas1234
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book and easy to read!! Very inspiring and useful to live our life with mindfulness. Highly recommended.
Hannah (flippingchapters)
I wish that I had words to express just how much I adored this book.

Reading this book is like taking a breath of fresh air, and I'm not kidding when I say I felt zen in every single way as I made my way through this book. And I can only imagine that our reality would be a lovely place to live in if only everyone practised the concept of ichigo ichie.
Amy Layton
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This was an intensely calming book.  Focusing on the moment, keeping your emotions in check, and taking time to really listen, The Book of Ichigo Ichie suggests that in the midst of this fast-paced, consumer-based society, it is more than worth it to take a breath and honor this one moment.  I tend to live in the future and the past, so this book was a great reminder to really just take it all in, right here and now.  To try to find contentment, to not want for more.  I think I'll be taking a lo ...more
Sendhilkumar Alalasundaram
A minimalistic text on a tenet of Zen philosophy that emphasizes living, celebrating, and treasuring every moment by embracing the impermanence.

I find myself with a lot of questions after reading, which may indicate incompleteness of the book, or the answers are to be discovered through self-reflection and practice of the art.
Neelam Babul
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Considering the instant gratification and distractions in modern life, it is no wonder that many people around the world turn to the eastern culture on their practices in order to obtain peace, purpose and fulfilment in their lives.

The book itself is beautiful, so zen and simplistic. Together with a bit of research, we learn more and more about Japanese tactics to grasp the moment and to make it memorable. Some parts of the book gave me the impression that the writers had to lengthen the conten
Linda Bond
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given all the anger and fury assaulting our sensibilities every day, I’m nor surprised that many of us are turning to the Japanese culture for guidance in securing a little peace and quiet. In this attractive little book based on a Zen tenet, we’re led toward the idea of being truly present in each moment. You will want to add this to your growing library of thoughtful books, and to practice a new-found method for aligning your spirit with the peaceful flow of life. This is another little gem fr ...more
Annie
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really lovely look at Japanese culture and thought. Reminded me a lot of “The Little Book of Hygge” which I adored.
Julie Bestry
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The small, charming book by two writers from Spain looks at the Japanese concept of ichigo itchie in a way that can easily be understood by Westerners with little experience in Zen Buddhism. The authors' tone bridges the gap between the in-your-face "how to" approach of western writing and the more gentle, evocative style of eastern writing, particular Buddhist writing, to make the work approachable.

Ichigo ichie is focused on the lovely impermance in the small moments of life, but particularly t
Samarth
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
The title mostly sums up the content and it come's up to the expectations. Loved Hector Garcia's writing style. A great and easy read.
Tiffany
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short but good reminder of tips to live in the present. Some great anecdotes
Ayesha U
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy, quick and soothing read. If you want to read a self-help book, it has to be brief and the one that doesn’t blabber on and on and is regurgitating the same idea in the 200 plus pages. I don’t care about the tea but the whole idea of the Ichigo Ichie and the Japanese tea party, which is as meditative as it could be is enjoying the moment, is very appealing.

They say, enjoy each meeting as if it is the last one and even if it is not, you won’t be able to recreate the same thing again. So each
Gabrielle Jarrett
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ichigo Ichie: what we are experiencing now will never happen again...It's not exactly seize the day, but rather honor the present moment, this day, this encounter. The authors have given us a most interesting, succinct and memorable gift of Japanese serenity and clues to a rich life. Ichigo Ichie is a remarkable balance of head and heart, both sides of the brain, and awareness of our inner and outer world. May you honor our meeting...
Chels Patterson
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really amazing book. It's not preachy but give good tools to create a positive life. It says if you know how to use the right wrapping the present will be a great present.

It is an easy read with, many ideas, such as a date with oneself. It also has interesting stories or history of Ichigo Ichie
Nicky
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen-etc
Too little of one thing, too much of everything
Emma
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By the same authors as Ikigai, a book I fully enjoyed. So I thought I would also read this one, as I am in a Japanese mood. The authors are Spanish, but they have been living in Japan for at least 10 years.
I think this book is excellent if you feel part of the rat race, and you need to rediscover peace in your everyday life, and have no religion upbringing.

My full review is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2020/02/16/...
Valeria Munguia
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As someone who lives in the future alottttt this book was a nice refresher in reminding me to appreciate the present and those around me in moments that will never happen again. New Years resolution, practice ichigo ichie🥳
Anna O'Donnell
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book. Makes you appreciate each moment for the chance meeting that is is and makes you question how present we are in our everyday lives.
Usha
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*The more you sense the rareness and value of your own life, the more you realize that how you use it, how you manifest it, is entirely your responsibility. We face such a big task, so naturally, we sit down for a while.

Almost on similar lines, is Dr Suess quote.

"There is no one alive who is youer than you."

*Happiness lies in wanting nothing outside ourselves, and in appreciating what life has to offer us while it lasts.

*The Latin expression "memento mori" means that you will die. Its purpose is
Biljana
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
"The most beautiful things in life are fleeting and can't be postponed."

"Eliminate the unnecessary to get to the essential."
SheAintGotNoShoes
Highly readable. I finished it in a couple of hours and walked away with lots of interesting things that I hope to apply to my life to improve it.

A+++++++++++
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice short read with some good reminders of how to enjoy the present moment.
Kees
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely again a great book by this lovely duo of authors.
I would recommend anyone to read it, but I would recommend the previous books of this series even more.
There comes my only problem with the book, it doesn’t give much more information that isn’t already mentioned in the previous books.
Most subjects that are in this book were already in the other books, it’s still very nice to read, and on some subjects it gives new insights.
So for anyone who’s read the previous books I would recommend t
Kelly Hoffine
Great book to help focus living and engaging with mindfulness, sincerity, and reflection.
Ntshh
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-fall, bookshelf
The book itself is beautiful; so zen and simplistic. Together with a bit of research, we learn more and more about Japanese tactics to grasp the moment and to make it commemorable. Some parts gave me the impression they had to lengthen the content though, but the "application" was rushed. I do like the tranquility all of their books bring however; they are perfect to create little ichigo-ichie afternoons everytime.
Marc Buraczynski
A well written explanation of Ichigo Ichie....

The book is very easy to read but offers the guidance and simplistic interpretation of Ichigo Ichie. This one is very much enjoyable and not at all “preachy” but “optimistic.”
Marija S.
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Glib new-age hipsterism, self-absorbed, culture-appropriating, diffused heaps of anectodal, 'well-meaning' 'advices' for 1st world problems by the authors on how to raise above the mundane. Perfect waiting room literature.
Cindy
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational book, which makes me realise it is very important to enjoy life.
The moment you are in now will never come back, so enjoy it and make it worth it.
malditopezescorpion
Ichigo Ichie helped me so much changing my mindset.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kaizen: The Japanese Method for Transforming Habits, One Small Step at a Time
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Verslaafd aan liefde
  • Merkityksellisen työn kaava : toteuta itseäsi, muuta maailmaa
  • Minä valitsin sinut
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • Het jaar van de vlinder
  • Lempeyden kirja
  • Korkeintaan vähän väsynyt
  • Kaikki elämästä(ni)
  • The Power of Nunchi: The Korean Secret to Happiness and Success
  • Long Bright River
  • Dear Edward
  • American Dirt
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
  • Making Sense of Nonsense: The Logical Bridge Between Science & Spirituality
I'm the author of several Japanese culture books: The Magic of Japan, Ikigai the Japanese Secret for a Long and Happy Life, The Book of Ichigo Ichie, Shinrinyoku, The Ikigai Journey and A Geek in Japan.

I LOVE reading and writing.

Autor de los libros sobre cultura japonesa: La Magia de Japón, Ikigai, Ichigo Ichie, Shinrinyoku, Un Geek en Japón.

News & Interviews

“Sakura is visible proof of how the most beautiful things in life are fleeting and can't be postponed.” 1 likes
“If you don't seize the moment, it will be lost forever.” 1 likes