Start by marking “Unfit” as Want to Read:
Unfit

Unfit

Nearly a century has passed since the world was devastated by pandemics and wars that wiped out over ninety-percent of the earths population. To assure the survival of mankind, the leaders of the rebuilt city of Haven are breeding a better human race: meaning those deemed too stupid, too weak, too poor - too unfit - are arrested and forcibly sterilized.

John Hunter is a
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Immortal Works

To ask other readers questions about Unfit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfit

Start your review of Unfit
Molly Fennig
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

5/5 stars. You need to read this book.

Having grown up devouring and loving dystopian novels, I am often critical of their cliches, abstract and unoriginal social critiques, unrealistic or incomplete world building, and more. That being said, this book is everything a dystopian, or any kind of book, should be.

The characterization and world-building are amazing. There is enough to draw the reader in but not too much that it takes away from the
Pete Fanning
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'm not too happy with then ending, but only because I didn't want it to end! I kept counting down the pages, hoping that--well, I won't give it away.

Where to begin? When I got this ARC I saw the word count and sighed. I don't normally read dystopian fiction and I was thinking it would be tough to get through. I could not have been more wrong. The characters were so well done, the foreshadowing perfect. I'm seeing a lot of Shawshank comparisons, which I felt too, but something about this
Melissa Hansen
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so impactful and thought-provoking, I've decided to write a more in depth review of it on my blog. I was drawn into this haunting world of eugenics, and especially the relationship between John and Morgan. Their devotion and love for each other brought an inspiring and refreshing lift to the heavy themes. Sometimes the story was hard to read, but it's the kind if book that can change readers and the world for the better. Karma's writing style and voice is exceptional and added to ...more
Karin Biggs
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
UNFIT to me felt like Shawshank Redemption meets Handmaid's Tale. These are not two comps that would normally drive met to read a story, but Karma did such a good job with her plot and writing, that I found myself enjoying the book more than I expected to...(this is coming from a girl who prefers YA scifi/fantasy romances.) And I must say, John and Morgan (the two leads) deliver quite an epic romance in a dark, dystopic setting. Their story is what kept me going, hoping for a ...more
Amy Carpenter
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I meant to read this book over time, but, once I started, there was nowhere to put it down. So I ended up reading the whole thing in one night.

Unfit tells the story of John, an intelligent man with a lot of potential living in a society where people who fail certain physical, intellectual, or blood portions of an exam are deemed unfit. They are then castrated and cast off from any real potential in society. He flunks the blood portion.

This story is beautifully written. It offers so much more
Bree Moore
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-i-know
Unfit is a powerfully dark post-apocalyptic story where the future of all citizens is determined by the quality of their genes. I thought the somewhat Romeo and Juliet type romance would be stereotypical, but I'm happy to report it's anything but! Unfit is also refreshingly diverse, realistically depicting an autistic side-character who became very dear to my heart. I am really looking forward to the second book!
Derick Dalton
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here are my thoughts after reading an ARC of Unfit by Karma Chestnut.
Spoiler free.

Unfit is Gattaca meets Shawshank Redemption.
It's a dystopian Gone with the Wind, but this time with a heroic heroine.
In our era of divisiveness and science illiteracy, Unfit will be motivating to readers keen on building strong families and communities and supporting democracy. But fair warning, it's not fictional enough to be a comfortable read.

Why not three stars?
The heroes are deeper and more faceted than those
Felix I.D.
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an Advance Reader Copy of Unfit from the author, Karma Chestnut, which I am thankful for. I let her know when I saw the page count (roughly 400 pages in ebook form) that it might take me two or three weeks to finish reading (Im a slow reader), but I wound up reading the book in less than a week. That is a rare feat for me, and it says a lot about this book.

Set in a Dystopian future nearly a hundred years from the present time, we meet a cast of characters in a city called Haven. The
Jackie
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC in exchange for my honest review...

I have a love affair with Dystopian novels, but sometimes they get repetitive or commercialized. When I was approached about reading Unfit I was just coming off of reading a different debut Dystopian novel. So I was definitely in the mood to continue the trend and I said you know what, yes I will read this. Im glad I did, as I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was really well written. The descriptions and dialogue were
Celeste Harte
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this book, and admittedly, I don't usually like dystopia, but I LOVED this one!

CW: this book features many difficult themes such as suicide, abortion, and derogatory terms for disabled people.

After 90% of the world is killed by plague, society is centered around being Fit or Unfit, and you're evaluated based on things like your lineage, academic level, and physical condition. John Hunter wants nothing but the perfect life for him and his wife, but all of that gets thrown off the
Jared
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Solid, interesting, fast-paced retelling of Romeo & Juliet in a creepy and believable future where eugenics are the big baddie. Definitely a fun one for fans of scifi and thrillers like Divergent, Hunger Games, and Maze Runner.
Bethany
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This starts out as a love story of John & Morgan. But then we learn more of the post plague world in which they live. Interesting and disturbing as the events hit close to our history. Ultimately, reinforces that power corrupts and the evil that people will do to protect that power. Good book!
Stephenie Peterson
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unfit is a unique story full of characters I cared about. The plot kept me on my toes. The world-building pulled me in. I am so glad I had a chance to read this ARC before publication. It's definitely worth reading!
Scott William Taylor
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the most challenging events in any new family's life is preparing for the birth of a baby. Imagine facing this exciting, yet daunting arrival while living in a dystopian hell-scape where humans deemed unfit are imprisoned and sterilized. In Karma Chesnut's debut novel, "Unfit" a family faces laws, family pressures and conditions--barbaric by today's standards, but considered reasonable at times through history--to try and find a way to be together.

Chestnut crafts a terrifying
Vickie Kerr
Feb 05, 2020
Karma Chesnut
Dec 18, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rachel
is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2020

• Deleted
  • Blood Numbers
  • Conquest (Dragon Bones, #1)
  • Justice in a Bottle
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Spinning Briar
  • A Tangled Web
  • Daddy-Long-Legs (Daddy-Long-Legs, #1)
  • Blackbirch: The Beginning (Blackbirch #1)
  • Thief River Falls
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Lives Of E
  • Swallowed by a Secret
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Lady At Last (Lord Love a Lady Book 4)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Royal Companion (The Companion, #1)
  • Agents of the Crown (The Complete Series: Books 1-5): An epic fantasy boxed set

News & Interviews