Start by marking “The End of Her” as Want to Read:
The End of Her

The End of Her

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  33,225 ratings  ·  3,494 reviews
It starts with a shocking accusation...

Stephanie and Patrick are recently married, with new-born twins. While Stephanie struggles with the disorienting effects of sleep deprivation, there’s one thing she knows for certain – she has everything she ever wanted.

Then a woman from his past arrives and makes a shocking accusation about his first wife. He always claimed her death
Hardcover, UK, 352 pages
Published July 23rd 2020 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The End of Her, please sign up.

·  33,225 ratings  ·  3,494 reviews

Start your review of The End of Her
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Argghhhk! I ate my couch cushions, spitting out feathers from my mouth! What a tense, wtf I’m reading but I cannot stop, will not stop because I’m obsessed with the fast pacing, heart pounding, stomach churning novel!

I have a question to the readers of this book: did you fantasize six million ways of getting rid of shameless slut Erica by giving her slow and the most torturous death and keep thinking to hire John Wick for his impressive knife throwing skills? Well, I guess I did and I’m not ash
Holly  B
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the beginning and was intrigued, but once again the ending fell flat for me.

I didn't feel like the characters played out well. They weren't true to their character build up. I can't say more without spoilers, but it was a quick read and you may enjoy it more than I did.

I will read this author's next, but this is my least favorite from her so far.

Thanks to EW for my review copy.
MarilynW
The End of Her, by Shari Lapena, starts out with an already sleep deprived and frazzled set of parents because their twin baby daughters seem to be stuck in a colicy stage that lasts months. Stephanie and Patrick get about six hours of sleep tops, during the only time the babies will sleep. Patrick's job is suffering because of his sleep deprivation and Stephanie doesn't know how much longer she can go, never getting enough rest.

Into this mix enters Erica, dropping by Patrick's office to let hi
Farrah
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Probably I'd give 3.5 ⭐ if it was possible and the average for this book is 3.87.
I don't want to discourage anyone from reading it by rating it on the lower side since this isn't a bad book.
I just can't find any qualities in it to inspire me to say anything more than 'Meh. It was okay.'
Joey R.
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 stars —I have had a love-hate relationship with Shari Lapena’s books (rating them between 1 and 4 stars) but am always intrigued enough to read her next book. “The End of Her” definitely lands on the better books written by Ms. Lapena with a very good premise and good writing from start to finish. Lapena does an excellent job of not revealing everything about the characters at the first of the novel which caused me to enjoy the book more as I tried to figure out who was telling the truth abo ...more
Matthew
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

A pretty good thriller that may leave you with more questions than answers.

In case anyone hasn't coined the name of this genre, yet, I am thinking of calling it "relationship thriller". I am hoping that those of you who have read books like this one know what I am talking about. The story usually starts with what seems like a normal relationship, but it quickly becomes a tangled web of back-stabbing (literally and figuratively) and lies. The whole gist is that people who are really close
Michelle
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
Stephanie and Patrick have a good life together, happily married, with beautiful twin daughters and because this is a Lapena novel you know that things are about to go terribly for them.

What happens when a woman from Patrick's past comes back raising questions on the death of his first wife?

Erica is one character that you will love to hate. She's despicable but she kept me turning those pages.

The ending is where this fell a little flat for me. It's not a terrible ending by any means but I just
JanB
May 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Stephanie and Patrick are the parents of colicky newborn twins, and experiencing all the things that go along with new parenthood, but x2. Namely, total exhaustion, stress, and lack of sleep.  But they are happy. Until Erica arrives. Erica, the psycho temptress who leaves a trail of destruction wherever she goes.

Erica, a girlfriend from Patrick’s past shows up with accusations that he murdered his first wife, a death that was ruled accidental. She claims she has proof it was murder and wants ca
Debra
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
"We don't always get to choose."

Accusations, blackmail, lies, and secrets!

Stephanie and Patrick are recently married parents with twin girls. They are sleep deprived; the girls have colic but otherwise they are happy. That is until, Erica arrives and makes a shocking accusation. One that turns Stephanie and Patrick's lives upside down. Patrick said his first wife's death was an accident, Erica claims it was murder. Who is telling the truth?

They are not the only characters in this book with secre
Sumit RK
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sumit-s-shelf
The End of Her is the new domestic suspense novel from Shari Lapena. Having read An Unwanted Guest by the same author, The End of Her is a totally new theme and an enjoyable thriller which does not disappoint.

Stephanie and Patrick are adjusting to their life with their newborn twin babies. Soon Erica, from Patrick's past, drops in on them unexpectedly and raises questions about his late first wife. Stephanie supports her husband totally but when Erica and the police start probing, Stephanie'
Umut Rados
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed Lapena's The Unwanted Guest and Someone We know, and she kind of became an auto-buy thriller author for me. I find her books entertaining, and thrilling to read.

But, this was such a disappointment. If I'm honest, even 2 stars is generous. I felt like someone else wrote it, or like she winged it in a few weeks.
There was nothing thrilling in the story. It felt like a domestic contemporary with a pinch of mystery for a very long time. There were so many details that added nothing
Oscar
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, 2020
Sleep is very much important, people! The lack of it can make you go crazy! Don’t mind me finishing this almost at 5 in the morning!

This is a good solid thriller even though involving tropes which are for me outdated and old. The cheating spouse trope. The secretive spouse trope. In 2020 really? But again I just have to give it to Shari Lapena because without a doubt she has done it again. This author has the way to weave the most ordinary premise to something engaging and fun. The End of Her is
Katie (katieladyreads)
*SPOILERS* Honestly, I want a refund. Riddled with cliches and very little action, I thought there would be a point to it all, but nope. The big “twist” was a LOL moment for me because it was so unbelievable and out of character. You can’t just build up your main character the whole book to be this quiet, super boring, sleep-deprived mom and then on page 315 decide she’s gonna be a COLD BLOODED KILLER. It doesn’t make sense and I laughed out loud when that big ‘twist’ happened because it was so ...more
Jayme
3.5 Stars rounding up (though I considered rounding down)

Erica is a FEMME FATALE, through and through....(an attractive, and seductive woman, especially one who will ultimately bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her- as defined by the Oxford Languages dictionary)

She will cross paths with:

Patrick and Lindsey
Gary and Emily
Niall and Nancy
Patrick and new wife, Stephanie..

Yes, Patrick, for a second time....She is a Femme Fatale who keeps on giving!! 🤣

She arrives back into his life,
Gabby
This was a pretty middle of the road thriller for me. I think my reason for not liking this book as much is a me thing, because I’m not a huge fan of thrillers where the main ‘thrilling’ thing happening is someone blackmailing someone else for money. I just find it very boring and I don’t usually care, and that’s exactly what was happening with this book.

I feel like the first 50 pages of this book were really good as it set up all the characters and little mysterious things, but then th
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 stars!

I loved this suspenseful, shocking, edge of my seat, fast paced, gripping, twisty and tangled web of secrets!

I inhaled this novel and loved every single moment! I immediately connected to the storyline — Stephanie and Patrick are new parents to twin girls. They are struggling through the babies’ colicky phase and feel like they are barely managing to survive. The sleepless nights and endless chaos of new parenthood was done so well. It brought me right back to when my kids were babies.
Javier
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheating husband ☑️
Dead first wife ☑️
Suspicions of murder ☑️
He said/she said ☑️
A little bit of blackmail ☑️
Lots of characters hiding lots of secrets ☑️☑️☑️

How did Shari Lapena managed to pack all the tropes in one story and still manage to make it completely engrossing? I was completely in from minute one of the audiobook (the narrator did an excellent work, btw).

It took me a while to warm up to Stephanie cause at the beginning she came up a little bit whiny (I think I’ve never heard the word co
Katie B
I've read all but one of Shari Lapena's thrillers and this book was definitely the biggest page turner of the bunch. The characters' lives were so messy that it was pretty entertaining to watch the drama unfold. And even though I wasn't completely satisfied with the last few chapters, I did have fun reading this one.

Stephanie has her hands full being a stay at home mom to colicky twin babies. Her husband, Patrick, helps out when he comes home from work, but the lack of sleep is getting to the b
Julie (JuJu)
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a domestic thriller that reads like an extremely twisted soap opera. It’s crazy, and a little absurd at times, but I was still glued to the pages!

Patrick was married to Lindsey, who died in a terrible accident, while Patrick was having an affair with her hot bestie, Erica....ugh, men! After Lindsey’s death, Patrick takes his insurance money and moves to NY for a fresh start, where he meets / marries Stephanie and they have twins. Then...Erica shows up in NY, spilling the beans about Patr
Toni
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shari Lapena's new thriller focuses on an old, timeless, and unfailingly relevant question. Is it possible to really know the person you marry? or might they have different sides (faces): caring and tender because they love and adore you and your children, calculating and selfish or even worse, once you start doubting their intentions....

Stephanie and Patrick are extremely exhausted. People always underestimate how hard it is to cope with a new born baby, let alone twins. Add a never-ending coli
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
When a woman shows up in Stephanie's life claiming her husband Patrick murdered his first wife, her life is thrown into turmoil. Of course Patrick denies the accusations, claiming her death was a tragic accident. Stephanie never would have thought her husband would be a murderer, but as more and more secrets come out, she can't help but question whether or not he's telling her the truth.

I really liked that the book was told through several POVs. We got to see chapters from Stephanie and Patrick
Darinda
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie and Patrick are a married couple struggling with being new parents. A woman from Patrick's past appears, and starts raising questions about the death of Patrick's first wife. Patrick fears the questioning will raise doubts about him and destroy his family and his career. Stephanie believes Patrick when he says it was an accidental death, but she starts to suspect there is more to the story.

Told using multiple points of view. There are a lot of characters, but the main characters are St
Barbara
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Remember that movie “Fatal Attraction” with Glenn Close? Well, this novel has that vibe of a crazy woman from a man’s past who wreaked havoc on that man’s marriage. Author Shari Lapena goes a bit further though with the crazy lady. Said crazy lady, aka Erica, has her sights on others as well.

“The End of Her” opens with a prologue of a young couple on a snowy night getting ready to visit the woman’s family. Nine years later in another state, in an idyllic neighborhood, a mother of infant twin gir
Nazanin
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I’m a big fan of Shari Lapena and like my other reads by her, this one didn’t disappoint as well. Told in multiple POV, 3rd person, it’s a standalone novel. It’s fast-paced and contains short chapters (always in my favor). The characters were a bit too many but I didn’t feel lost even for a second. My only complaint is; although the ending was satisfying it was a bit rushed. (view spoiler) Overall, I had a very good ti
Frank Phillips
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a treat this one was! I've really gotta say, this one had me entertained throughout and it may be my favorite Lapena novel!! I've never hated an antagonist more than Erica, and grew more and more frustrated as she tried to blackmail more and more not-so-innocent people she encountered through the years. I wanted her to get what was coming for her, to say the least! I won't say any more than that, but this one was incredibly hard to put down after I picked it up and was incredibly fast- ...more
Dana
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book right up until the very ending. It was a solid 4 stars but that ending ... I just didn't love it, it felt rushed and I really wanted more.

I will forever be a huge fan of Shari! Have read everything she has written and will continue to do so.
Jen
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was just ok. I was disappointed. I felt like this book just was throwing more and more on the fire, there were so many elements in this.. first wife dead, office social drama, bad girl, colicky babies, inheritance, adoption, a court case, honestly I feel like there was more lol! It was like desperate housewives season one in 1 book with no characters fully flushed out.

So Patrick and Stephanie have twin babies who have colic and are both exhausted. Enter a mysterious stranger, Erica,
Susan
Snarled Web of Twisted Satisfaction

I loved this and couldn’t put it down!

A cast of six protagonists entangled and knotted together with multiple infidelities, blackmail, a suspected murder, and the promise of yet another. You know it’s going to happen…

The possibilities are endless for an elaborate and precariously built House of Cards positioned to collapse. Who will it fall on and which one of our potential suspects will do the pushing?

I loved the author’s previous title 'Someone We Know’ and
Linda
A House of Cards.....

Seems like the deck is stacked against this one.

I've read and enjoyed previous books by Shari Lapena. They always have dark little corners of intrigue throughout. The End of Her left me with a 52 card pickup with its loosely formed base and ill-fitting details. I found myself saying out loud, "Now that doesn't make sense." Too many enablers and not enough individuals with backbones.

Stephanie and Patrick are new parents who are doubly overwhelmed with twins who have colic. A
Gary
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read by one of my favourite authors Shari Lapena although if i'm honest not her best.

There is a lot right with this book, well written, good characters and an ever increasing pace that grows and grows. Unfortunately I didn't feel that all the qualities I just mentioned got the ending they deserved. A stronger ending would have really made a big difference.

The recently married Stephanie and Patrick have twin girls that are suffering from colic. Although everyone is deprived of sleep
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 20 Aug 12, 2020 01:09PM

• The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)
  • The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
  • Run Away
  • Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
  • The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1)
  • Dear Wife
  • The Night Before
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • The Perfect Child
  • No Offense (Little Bridge Island, #2)
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • The Murder House
  • Anna of Kleve: The Princess in the Portrait (Six Tudor Queens, #4)
  • The Truth Hurts
  • What Lies Between Us
  • You Can't Catch Me
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • Still Life