Start by marking “Anne and Louis: Rulers and Lovers” as Want to Read:
Anne and Louis: Rulers and Lovers

Anne and Louis: Rulers and Lovers

(Anne of Brittany #3)

In 1501, Anne of Brittany devises the perfect match for her only child by Louis XII, King of France. Their daughter will become the most powerful woman in Europe if she marries the future Holy Roman Emperor. But Louis balks. Instead, he wishes her to marry his successor. How else to keep his own bloodline on the throne?

Anne is incensed. Why should her daughter not rule Br
Paperback, Book Three of the Anne of Brittany Series, 389 pages
Published December 2019 by Renaissance Editions

To ask other readers questions about Anne and Louis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne and Louis

Start your review of Anne and Louis: Rulers and Lovers
Melisende
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not for me.

The two stars is for tackling someone other than Eleanor of Aquitaine, Elizabeth I, or whoever is the current flavour of the month with historical fiction authors.

I am familiar with this period and the style of narrative just did not drawn me in and the characters left me flat. I could easily have left this unfinished but decided to persevere to the end.

For continuity purposes, I suggest reading the first two and the prequel, especially if new to this period and the characters.
Fyo
I received a free ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I intended to have this read and reviewed much earlier in the year. Unfortunately everything that's happened in the last few months, coupled with school and work has put me very behind in reading and reviewing.

This book, like its predecessors Anne and Charles and Anne and Louis: Passion and Politics in Early Renaissance France: The First Years of Anne of Brittany's Marriage to Louis XII, follows the life of Anne of
Erinpad
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read this. I discovered this book quite by accident as I was searching for historical fiction and this certainly delivered. Incredible in-depth detail of what life at court was truly like and well researched. Anne twice crowned queen of France and Louis Xll had an ideal marriage for royals in which not only did they actually like each other but they were in fact passionately in love. Unfortunately though their marriage only has produced one child, a pri ...more
Stanley McShane
History buffs will love this tale. Ms. Gaston has brought to life a period in history with great sympathy. Follow Anna as she tries to keep Brittany free from French rule while being married to Louis the king. What a spunky and smart ruler she was! This historical drama is rife with intrigue and castle politics.

Add in Isabella and Ferdinand of Spain and you get a particularly spicy and turbulent dynamic. Ferdinand does not keep his word or treaties whenever he thinks he can get away with it. Ma
Christine Cazeneuve
The saga continues

This is book three of what is to be a four book series and I enjoyed this very much. Fast paced and I have come to know and appreciate Anne as a woman, mother, wife and ruler. The marriage between Louis and Anne was unique and a joy to experience. Looking forward to the final book.
Ginger Pollard
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Court is my favorite place to be! I'm sure I was born in the wrong era! Rozsa Gaston makes being in the Court of France so easy and intriguing. This is the third in a series, but each book can be a stand alone. Her books will appeal to Young Adult readers as well as old Royal watchers like myself. Highly recommended!
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley. Thank you, Netgalley!
All opinions are my own.
AndyB161
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ann and Louis: Rulers and Lovers is the third in Rozsa Gaston’s Anne of Brittany series.

Opening in 1501, Ann and Louis must arrange their daughters’ future. Salic law prohibits a woman inheriting Louis XII’s crown. Louis is becoming increasingly conscious of the importance of his daughter, Claude’s, future marriage. So much so he begins making secret plans. However, no such law prohibits Claude from ruling Brittany - a priority of Anne’s.

Gender and social politics frame much of this instalment
Barbara
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Having read the first two books in the Anne of Brittany series I was very happy to receive the third book from Netgalley in return for a review. I enjoyed this book as much if not more than the first book. The first two books covered Anne from her childhood through her her first marriage with Charles VIII of France and after his death her subsequent marriage to Louis XI. This book opens with Anne and Louis awaiting the arrival of Philip of Flanders and Juana of Spain. Anne and Louis hope to betr ...more
Kitty Pollock
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't know much about Anne and Louis but i love finding people like this through Historical Fiction. You get your main characters from history that, what seems like everyone writes about, when there are so many fascinating people waiting to be written about. I liked how that author wrote their story and the dynamic of the couples relationship. They go though a lot of drama together but they love passionately! Unfortunately, there was one or two part i felt the book could have been without but ...more
Elese Roger
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction - so I'm a sucker for this kind of writing...

Well done!
Mary Beth
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now a mature couple they rule

With different expectations. Anne, Queen of France and Duchess of Britanny is exacting, yet generous. She was born to rule and has the head to do so.
Eaweishaupl
Dec 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and free review. I’m a big fan of historical fiction and was intrigued about learning about the French Royal Family in the same historical period as the Tudors in England. The book like its predecessors centers on Anne of Brittany and her husband Louis. The book begins in 1501 with the engagement of Claude of France and Charles of Luxembourg and ends seven years later in 1508 with Anne pregnant again.

The book is well rese
HalKid2
At best, I can sum up this third novel in a three-book series on Anne of Brittany as UNEVEN and an apparent set up for a fourth novel.

Covering the years 1501 -09 Anne and Louis XII of France are now settled in their marriage and in their administration of Brittany and France respectively. Theirs is a love match, though each prioritizing the governing of their individual realms above anything else. After a sad history of miscarriages, stillbirths, and young children dying from illness -- they ha
Melissa Muldoon
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is lovely to learn about a strong female who influenced history and it is obvious this book is well-researched and the author is passionate about her subject. However, this book reads like a history book accounting of Anne and Louis's life over seven years. There are many names, dates, treaties, battles, and births to keep track of, and as the book progresses, these all become overwhelming and a little dry. I was hoping to read a novel based on historical facts that would bring Anne and Louis ...more
Jessica Russell
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As I have said before, I am so glad I stumbled upon this great author. This is what historical fiction books are meant to be: historically accurate and able to take you into a bygone era, and this book does exactly that. The relationships are vivid and real and the characters multi-dimensional. There is a perfect balance of history and romance, which is rarely done these days. Most books masquerading as historical fiction rely on graphic sex, profanity or overdone love scenes to propel them alon ...more
J. A.
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction series

I love history, for setting & time line. Cultures & world building. Understanding characters , why they made the decisions they made. Often depends on the culture they & their parents were born in. & Their decisions depend on the world they live in. Events they experienced & survived.
Lyn Larsen
May 07, 2020
martha phillips
Feb 07, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Girl Who Would be Queen (The Kingdom of Naples #1)
  • The Song of Achilles
  • Rose of the World: Rosamund Clifford-Mistress of King Henry II
  • The Silken Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • My Fair Lady: A Story of Eleanor of Provence, Henry III's Lost Queen
  • The French Sultana (The Veil and the Crown, #2)
  • The Stolen Girl (The Veil and the Crown #1)
  • Kenneth's Queen (Women of the Dark Ages, #1)
  • The Saxon Marriage (Women of the Dark Ages, #4)
  • Daughter of Paris: The Diary of Marie Duplessis, France's Most Celebrated Courtesan
  • The Confessor's Wife
  • Death of a Doll Maker (Sugawara Akitada #11)
  • A Gown of Thorns
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon's Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart
  • Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life
  • Murder Has Nine Lives (A Jaine Austen Mystery #14)
  • Your Best Life Now Study Guide: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
ROZSA GASTON writes playful books on serious matters. Women getting what they want out of life is one of them.

GASTON studied European history at Yale, and then received her master's degree in international affairs from Columbia. She lives in Bronxville, NY with her family. Visit her at www.rozsagaston.com.

Her motto? Stay playful.

Anne of Brittany (4 books)
  • Sense of Touch: Love and Duty at Anne of Brittany's Court
  • Anne and Charles (Anne of Brittany, #1)
  • Anne and Louis: Passion and Politics in Early Renaissance France: The First Years of Anne of Brittany's Marriage to Louis XII (Anne of Brittany Series Book 2)

News & Interviews