Start by marking “Christmas at the Circus” as Want to Read:
Christmas at the Circus

Christmas at the Circus

(The Lady and the Lionheart)

A Short Story from the Greatest Season on Earth

In 1800's New Orleans, newlyweds Charlie and Ella Lionheart are spending their first holiday season together within the circus. It’s Ella’s first Christmas away from her mountain home and with thoughts of family and new beginnings, see what surprises the kindhearted lion tamer has in store for her on Christmas Eve.

Holiday
Published December 2nd 2019 by Mason Jar Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at the Circus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at the Circus

Start your review of Christmas at the Circus
Hannah
A beautiful little Christmas story! Do I really have to tell you that I downloaded it and read it the moment I saw it was announced? Despite it being midnight already? Hmmm.

Charlie and Ella are as beautiful a couple as ever, and I loved how the little message about the Christmas season's meaning is woven in at the end.

Note: it does contain several large spoilers for the novel.

Melissa Tagg
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a happy and charming Christmas story! I loooooved the opportunity to revisit Charlie Lionheart (one of my very favorite characters ever...like, EVER!) and Ella and even Baby Holland...and the lions!! I love these characters, I love this world...and I love any chance to read Joanne Bischof's beautiful writing. This was a wonderful Christmas surprise and if you loved The Lady & The Lionheart, I think you'll love this, too.
E.F.B.
A short, sweet Chrismas story. This was a pleasant surprise since I didn't know the author was writing a short story about the characters from The Lady and the Lionheart, and while it was very simple it was lovely to get a glimpse of what's going on with them after the main story ended, especially at Christmas time. It gave me the warm fuzzies and put a smile on my face.
Rachel McMillan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's the only thing better than Charlie Lionheart?

A: Charlie Lionheart AT CHRISTMAS
Tamara
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas at the Circus is just simply wonderful!
Susan Snodgrass
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joanne Bischof takes her readers back to visit with one of her most remarkable heroes, Charlie Lionheart, and his wife Ella, first brought to us in her novel The Lady and the Lionheart. Just a short novella, but Bischof manages once again to convey great emotional depth in this offering. It was great to see Charlie and Ella again and also to see Charlie's wonderful Christmas gift to his beloved wife.

*My thanks to the author for a complimentary copy of this book. No review was required and my
Holly
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An adorable short story for Christmas time! Fans of The Lady and the Lionheart will not be disappointed! I was so happy to reconnect with these characters again!

I am hoping to see a sequel to the Lady and the Lionheart soon! Hint to the author! ( ;
Courtney Clark
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A darling little short story that "catches up" with beloved characters and shows sweet Christmas moments in their lives.
Jocelyn Green
This was such a sweet story, sure to charm readers who didn't get enough of Ella and Charlie Lionheart and little Holland in the Christy Award-winning novel, The Lady and the Lionheart. The short story format (shorter than a novella) makes it easy to fit into any busy holiday schedule. I enjoyed this in one sitting as my bedtime reading last night. It was a peaceful way to end a hectic day.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very Short, Very Sweet

What a fun little snippet of Christmas to add to one of my favorite books. Very short, very sweet. It makes me want to go back and read the book again!
Rochelle Saldaña
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is more like a chapter than a novella. It was absolutely sweet and left me feeling warm. I love how Joanne weaves words together to create a picture. The only reason it is 4 stars and not 5 is because I want more!
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
Pour yourself a hot drink and snuggle up with this heartwarming Christmas story!

I loved The Lady and the Lionheart and found this novella a charming walk down memory lane. Revisiting favorite characters and joining them under the big top for a special Christmas Eve!

(I purchased this story for my personal collection.)
Kara
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, favorites
I loved spending time with Charlie and Ella again! :) Review to come
Andrea
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my Christmas stars! I loved this little visit with the Lionheart family.
A very sweet, heartwarming Christmas at the Circus.
Pat
A short but so sweet addition to The Lady and The Lionheart,” one of my favorite books ever!
Betty Strohecker
This is a Christmas story based on The Lady and the Lionheart novel. Set in 1890 New Orleans, the circus is wintering during the holiday season, first Christmas for main characters Charlie and Ella. Knowing Ella is missing her family from Virginia, Charlie plans a magical surprise that will emphasize the true meaning of Christmas. I enjoyed the writing style of Joanne Bischof and am interested in the book that precedes this offering.
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
Heartwarming

(I purchased this story for my personal collection.)
Inspirationalfictionreader
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ah! What a perfectly sweet little Christmas story! The Lady and the Lionheart is one of my favorite books, so I was happy to get a small glimpse into Charlie and Ella’s life again, especially at Christmas time! Joanne Bischof excels at her descriptions making you feel like you are there with Charlie and Ella and the entire circus! I am left wanting more Charlie and Ella!
Erin
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet Christmas Eve story about Ella, Charlie, and baby Holland. It was fun to see the characters and the menagerie again—especially the lions.
Malia Saldaña
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-books
This book was so cute. It was really short, though. I wish it were longer!:) I’m going to have to read The Lady and The Lionheart now!
Susan
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this sweet story. Charlie Lionheart is one of my favorite all time fictional heroes.
April
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short & sweet Christmas story.
Ashley Johnson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely thrilled to catch up with Ella and Charlie! This was short and super sweet! I loved diving into this setting once again and Joanne Bischoff does and excellent job of transporting the reader through her descriptions. You can almost smell the molasses in the cookies! Perfect little Holiday story!
Rachelle Cobb
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Christmasy short story for readers of The Lady and the Lionheart!
Stephani Fannin
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joanne Bischof gives us a wonderful little glimpse into the lives of Ella and Charlie Lionheart after the conclusion of “The Lady and the Lionheart”-one of my favorite books of all time. I love that she released this right around Christmas time. Like many others, I’m still crossing my fingers for a full-length sequel. ...more
Mandy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not usually a short story kind of reader. However, when given the chance to know more about Charlie and Ella and Holland I jumped at the chance. It was short and very sweet and gave an intimate peek into the family life of these three beloved characters. Joanne Bischof can tell a fulfilling story with very few words. I don’t know how she does it, but I am sure glad she does!
Brittany
This is a sweet short story that is beautifully written, giving readers a chance to catch up with the main characters from The Lady and the Lionheart. I enjoyed the beautiful descriptions and the way the story evoked the feeling of Christmastime. Nicely done!

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Alicia
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Christmas at the Circus: A Short Story from the Greatest Season on Earth” by Joanne Bischof

A fun and enjoyable short story that brings the magic of the holiday season alive, as well as the love of many towards others.

Building off her main novel “The Lady and the Lionheart,” the author has written a special novel that brings home the true meaning of Christmas.

Rating: 4.5
Caryl
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet holiday short story! Can you imagine spending Christmas at the circus with Charlie Lionheart, his wife Ella and their daughter Holland? To celebrate Christ with family and those who are dear to your heart is precious.

I recommend this short story to those who enjoy endearing historical romance.

All views expressed are my honest opinion.
Heather Snyder
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to see that Joanne Bischof had written a Christmas novella to compliment her very popular book, The Lady and the Lionheart. I read this story in 2019 for the first time, and it is as wonderful as everyone says, which is why getting to visit Ella and Charlie’s world again is so special. Both characters will speak to your heart because their stories are so incredible.

In this tale, the reader gets to see the circus at Christmas while hearing all about how magnificent this time of

• Royally Yours
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Christmas at Whitefriars
  • The Wedding Dress Christmas (The Wedding Collection)
  • Mistletoe Menagerie (A Madison River Romance Novella)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • An Uncommon Woman
  • Echoes Among the Stones
  • Ruby Jane (The Montana Marshalls, #5)
  • An Old-Fashioned Texas Christmas: 2-in-1 Holiday Novella Collection
  • The Hope of Christmas Past
  • Love You Truly
  • Bespoke: A Tiny Christmas Tale
  • Hereafter (The Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • One Enchanted Eve (Enchanted Christmas Collection #2)
An ECPA Christy Award winner and an ACFW Carol Award winner, Joanne Bischof writes deeply layered fiction that tugs at the reader’s heartstrings. Joanne’s 2016 novel, THE LADY AND THE LIONHEART, received an extraordinary 5 Star TOP PICK! from Romantic Times Book Reviews among other critical acclaim. Joanne has a long-standing passion for romance and a budding fervor for theology. She is more and ...more

The Lady and the Lionheart (1 books)
  • The Lady and the Lionheart