Start by marking “The Vietnam Plays, Vol. 1: The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel / Sticks and Bones” as Want to Read:

The Vietnam Plays, Vol. 1: The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel / Sticks and Bones (The Vietnam Plays)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
David Rabe has been a major voice and crucial force in American drama since 1971 when, in the midst of the Vietnam War, he startled the nation with The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel. The story of a native recruit’s initiation into war, it is by turns brutal and hilarious. It won the young playwright an Obie and was hailed by The New York Times as “rich humor, irony, and i ...more
Published January 19th 1994 by Grove Press (first published July 27th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Vietnam Plays, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vietnam Plays, Vol. 1

J.A. McNeil
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Rabe offers a strong and authentic voice, but I just couldn't get into either play due to the fragmented storylines. This could be the PTSD of the playwright or his intentional metaphor for it.
Tony
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Rabe, David. THE BASIC TRAINING OF PAVLO HUMMEL/STICKS AND BONES. (U. S. – 1973). ****. When these plays were staged in the early 1970s, they appealed to audiences because of their immediacy. Both are about Vietnam and war and soldiers. Both have dated poorly – though they are still good drama. In “The Basic Training...”, we meet Pavlo at the basic training camp in Georgia. Pavlo wants to be a good soldier because he sees it as his way of becoming like everyone else. One of the ways he does this ...more
Lluvia Almanza
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
These plays focus on the Vietnam war and the effect of it on two soldiers. I had never heard of these plays before and I found them hard to understand. "The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel" was very confusing to me. I think this is one of those plays that are better being seen on stage. These plays were very popular when they were first published.
Hime-honeybadger
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
It is difficult to read and understand "The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel" for people who have not experienced combat in the military. It is good, but I would rather watch the play than read it.
Aaron Myall
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the first time I this play to the 5th time, I picked up new nuances and metaphors throughout. I loved this play, and will absolutely see it in production.
Dan
It should be noted, that I think I read Pavlo Hummel and Streamers years ago. My memory of them is a complete blank.
Joseph O'Toole
Jun 21, 2008
Natascha
Apr 26, 2008
lissy
rated it did not like it
Nov 17, 2007
Sep 04, 2007
Jamie Banks
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

The Vietnam Plays (4 books)
  • The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel