Start by marking “Yes No Maybe So” as Want to Read:
Yes No Maybe So

Yes No Maybe So

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  3,780 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews
From New York Times bestselling authors Becky Albertalli and Aisha Saeed comes a heart-warming, hilarious story about the power of love and resistance.

Jamie Goldberg is cool with volunteering for his local state candidate - as long as hes behind the scenes. Theres no way hed ever knock on doors to ask people for their votesuntil he meets Maya.

Maya Rehmans having the worst
Audiobook
Published February 4th 2020 by Simon Schuster Audio UK

·  3,780 ratings  ·  1,002 reviews

Start your review of Yes No Maybe So
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Who needs extreme sports when news of new book releases by my favorite authors give me more adrenaline than I will ever need for the rest of my life???
Warda
Oct 31, 2019 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
EDIT: And now that I hear that there is some kind of falling for a non-Muslim white boy trope/saviour in this, I'm not bothering. I'm BORED and FRUSTRATED with the publishing world constantly choosing to produce one-sided narratives of Muslims.
I'm not even the type that will dismiss a book because of others. But this nonsense has happened one too many times. So now I have become one of those.

-------

There's part of me that is gagging for this book and another part of me that is questioning how
may ❀
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa here comes a rant

🚨 SPOILER WARNING 🚨
Im talking spoilers for the romantic pairing, NOT the election results (but lbr, its a ya contemp, we all know how the romance ends)

Identity

its really difficult to put my feelings into words because I absolutely DONT want to discount anyones identity and Im sure the authors didnt mean to bring any harm when writing this book.

But Im just so tired of popular media pushing One Narrative for muslims.

the one where Muslim girls change their
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
4.5 stars. Read this entire book during my red-eye to Philly bc I could NOT put it down. This was so, so good and I am so happy to have finally loved a book from Becky Albertalli again! I also especially loved the chapters written by Aisha Saeed and I DEF need to read more books from her immediately. This was honestly just great.
sarah xoxo
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2020-read
I thought going in that this would be a sweet, summery romance with a little bit of political discourse sprinkled in. It was, but it was also relevant, engaging and realistic. The romance took a back seat to the friendship and political aspects, which I loved. It had something for everyone, from relatable characters, to diversity in terms of race and religion to fighting for what you believe in.

I love how this book put our characters into situations that forced them to grow and re-evaluate
may ➹
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I live my life by simple rules: I see Becky Albertalli? I read it

update: I LOVE THIS COVER
Larry H
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Becky Albertalli's latest collaboration, Yes No Maybe So (this time with Aisha Saeed), is a lighthearted love story which deals with weighty issues, yet it is endearing and sweet.

"Some people are meant to change history. And some people are meant to change out of their vomity interview clothes."

Jamie Goldberg has political aspirations but knows hell never achieve them since he doesnt do well under pressure. Thats not an understatementhe once referred to Jimmy Carter as a penis farmer
Christy

I was so looking forward to this one and when I saw it was listed as the YA BOTM pick, I ordered it right away and read it immediately. I liked it. It was a fast paced, addicting read, and I loved both of the main characters. The romance aspect, though not the forefront, was great and I enjoyed the writing. I did struggle to connect with a lot of the story and it was soooooo heavy on the politics, which while I agree is an important topic, I didn't want to read 400+ pages about it. I
beth ✨
Jan 31, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: releases-2020
we have a title and description about this book and im even more excited now!!

theres literally no title, description or cover but its already one of my favourite books.
Tucker

yes no m
yes n
ye
y

this is the most beautiful title i have ever witnessed in my entire existence
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
SLOW BURN ROMANCE NEVER LOOKED SO GOOD! 💙

Actual rating: 3.5⭐

Three things attracted me to this book - Becky Albertalli, the diversity and the reviews. I loved the main character Jaime, I loved the diversity, I loved the push-back and the activism and I loved the slowmance. However, I was not a big fan of the Americanism... Of course, that's just me - a Scandinavian.

"It's so fun to make Jaime blush, it's almost a full-time hobby at this point."
- Maya

👍 WHAT I LIKED 👍

Jaime: I fell head over
April (Aprilius Maximus)
We might give it our all and crash and burn. But we might win. We might actually change things. And that maybe makes it still worth going for, don't you think?

representation: Pakistani-American Muslim MC (I believe this is own voices?), Jewish MC (own voices), m/m side relationship, queer side characters.

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

✧゚: *✧゚:* 3 . 5 s t a r s *:゚✧*:゚✧

I so desperately wanted to love this because I love Becky Albertalli and
Cassie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arcs
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

This book was very good and I enjoyed it immensely. I thought it was just going to be this cute rom com type of story, and sure, it was. But, it was so much more than that. It honestly took me by surprise with how relevant it was, with religion, politics, even what people will do to go viral on the internet.

Im a white cis woman, so perhaps take this review with a grain of salt, but I felt like the religion was handled in a respectful way and I appreciated that a lot. The
rachel ☾

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog Goodreads Twitter Instagram
Ivy
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coming-soon-20
This book sounds great, and really cute! Becky is good at collaborating with other authors, so Im sure shell be fantastic, and while I dont know much about the other author she seems cool. So yeah. Thisll be good. ...more
The Nerd Daily
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Mimi Koehler

Listen, I hate the current political climate as much as the next guy, but I cant deny that I love the stories that are being published because of it. Never have authors been more politically active and never have young adult stories made me want to pick up a sign and protest to save the world more than they have in the last few years. Yes, No, Maybe So is a story that gives you back a voice you might feel like you have lostor never
Antonia

After "What If It's Us" this is the second Becky Albertalli collaboration that fell a little flat for me. Maybe those kind of dual perspectives from two authors books just aren't my jam and I need to wait until Becky puts her own books out again.

Generally I have no bad things to say about Yes No Maybe So. It's a cute ya contemporary
Dahlia
I just...cannot say enough good things about this book. Come for the romance and wonderful Jewish and Muslim rep, stay to feel completely inspired about politics and an individual's ability to make a difference, whether or not they're of voting age. (And I particularly admire the respect this book pays to teens and the sensitivity to how difficult it is to be pre-voting age and feeling helpless in that regard.) There are so many decisions in this book I just loved, especially the ending, and I ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
I came for the epic Becky Albertalli & Aisha Saeed collab and stayed for the utterly adorable romance, inclusive discussions on race and religion and the empowering messages about politics, taking a stand against bigotry and fighting to make a difference, no matter your age, religion or race. (Oh, and the cute The Office *not a date* dates.)

The alternating perspectives were done brilliantly. They were unique and strong on their own but not so different that it was jarring whenever the
Parker Jensen
I don't know anything about this but I want it....now
mckenna ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Somebody please tell me to stop reading Becky Albertalli books.

I dont know what it is with me, because after reading Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda each and every one of Albertallis new books has been a greater disappointment than the last and yet every time she announces her newest disaster I find myself immediately logging onto my local library and getting on the wait list...

If anybody takes a look at my reviews for Leah on the Offbeat or Written in the Stars its pretty clear that neither
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
This wasn't bad by any means, and I enjoyed the characters and the romance for the most part, but my biggest gripe was that each family kinda annoyed me. Not enough to bring the story down, but enough to frustrate me and make the reading experience a more forgettable one. I really loved how Jamie and Maya really grew into themselves over the course of the story. We see their convictions, fears, and hopes all explored while they're canvassing for an upcoming special election. So overall, a good ...more
Jenny Baker
I loved the political activism story, especially as a YA novel, but the romance part got on my nerves. I typically like socially awkward characters and seeing them deal with their issues, but I couldnt empathize with Jamie. I wanted him to get over himself. Also, the narration made this novel a little boring. Overall, its not as bad as The Upside of Unrequited, but not as good as the rest of Albertallis novels. ...more
✨Emily | Procrastinating • Bibliophile
4.5/5 stars

*** E-arc kindly sent by Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Australia in exchange for an honest review***

First off this is the first e-arc I have ever gotten and Im so very thankful to have read this early. And I have to say that I loved this story; the commentaries, the messages, the family dynamics, friendships and the friends-to-lover romance (that DIDNT take up the entire plot).

Yes No Maybe So is a story of religion, family, relationships and finding your footing in a world that
Bookphenomena (Micky)

This is a gift of a contemporary book that bravely tackles the political climate we live in. On top of this, YES NO MAYBE SO is loaded with cuteness. In this way, it balances the serious themes with some lightness very well.

YES NO MAYBE SO had two quirky and endearing characters in Jamie a Jewish teen and Maya a Muslim teen. They were childhood friends but they hadnt seen one another for a long time. Suddenly, they were coerced into canvasing for a political leaders election together.
Emma
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5/5 Stars

I'm so happy for the recent recurring themes that a lot of young adult books seem to want to explore recently: politcs and elections. I didn't know it was something I needed to read so badly, but apparently I did and I'm glad I got the opportunity to do so.

This book focuses on Maya and Jamie and how the two of them spend the Summer canvassing for their local state senate candidate. I
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) as a very liberal, almost-40 school librarian I adored this book! It is a hard-core political message book (with sweet romance thrown in) and its a message I very much appreciated ~ just a heads up that its definitely a rally cry for liberal ideals......if those arent your personal ideals going into it, please keep an open mind ❤ political activism + love and peace and human decency and religious and gender/romantic freedoms for all are perfectly awesome messages to be ...more
Kelly  (UnshelvedEdition)
Its not about waiting for the good parts of history. Were the ones who have to make them happen

I have never been disappointed by anything written by Becky Albertalli and Yes No Maybe So is no exception. Her and Aisha Saeed completely stole my entire heart within the story. I had never read anything by Aisha and now I must stock her backlist ASAP

This story brings attention to so many important issues in this world in a modern and fun way. It has become increasingly more important to vote (no
kaysmagiclibrary 💫
take ALL of my money. there is no title, cover, or description but i can already tell you it's going to be my favorite 👀
noor
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Before I die I would like to read ONE BOOK that accurately portrays Muslims. ONE BOOK.

Yes, this book has done better than others in the past, but its still not a good portrayal. Ill die on the spot if I have to read another book that molds Muslim characters into a more American way of life. Like damn. And on Ramadan? Really? Im giving it 2.5 stars simply for the writing. Maya is a Pakistani-American and yet I couldnt tell you if that was mentioned more than once in the book. Just that she
Pearl River Libra...: (Young Adult) Yes No Maybe So 1 1 Mar 25, 2020 08:36AM

• Tweet Cute
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • The Liars of Mariposa Island
  • Darius the Great Is Not Okay (Darius The Great, #1)
  • The Sky Weaver (Iskari, #3)
  • Lucky Caller
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • She's the Worst
  • The Crossover
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
Becky Albertalli is the author of the acclaimed novels Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (film: Love, Simon), The Upside of Unrequited, and Leah on the Offbeat. She is also the co-author of What If It's Us with Adam Silvera. A former clinical psychologist who specialized in working with children and teens, Becky lives with her family in Atlanta. You can visit her online at www.beckyalbertalli.com. ...more

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of young a...
“I peer around the room—which is so packed with earnest-looking college kids, you’d think this was an Apple Store.” 2 likes
“Some people are meant to change history. And some people are meant to change out of their vomity interview clothes.” 2 likes