Start by marking “Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)

Murder at Pirate's Cove

(Secrets and Scrabble #1)

Ellery Page, aspiring screenwriter, Scrabble champion and guy-with-worst-luck-in-the-world-when-it-comes-to-dating, is ready to make a change. So when he learns he's inherited both a failing bookstore and a falling-down mansion in the quaint seaside village of Pirate's Cove on Buck Island, Rhode Island, it's full steam ahead!

Sure enough, the village is charming, its reside
Published February 29th 2020 by JustJoshin Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Murder at Pirate's Cove, please sign up.

Start your review of Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
mwana
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, mm
I wanna move to Pirate's Cove. Simply for the delight of meeting Ellery. What a lovely name. It just rolls right off the tongue. Ellery... Elle.. Er... Rrrry...

My god Josh Lanyon is back! Well, she never left but she has stopped rushing endings. I'm still not over the conflict resolution in Slay Ride. But what a delight this book is! A piping hot cup of comfort tea... A warm hug from a teddy bear... A kiss on the forehead... I am such a pile of goo. Yes from a locked room murder mystery where 2
Nick Pageant
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to reading this for a while and it did not disappoint.
If you like cozies you will probably really enjoy this - if you like m/m and have not read a cozy before... I'm not so sure, but give it a go! Cozies are different sorts of books with specific rules a writer works under. Josh Lanyon followed the rules and turned in a very charming mystery with great characters that I cannot wait to read more about. This is going to be a great, fun series!
⚣Michaelle⚣
I'm a simple girl; if Josh writes it, I'mma read it. ...more
Martin
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Yes, I love Josh Lanyon's work.
Yes, I am a HUGE fan of Adrien and Jake.
And yes, the skill and experience of a seasoned author is an amazing reading delight and I found myself loving many many parts of this book.

Am I a fan of the cozy mystery genre?

description

Definitely not.

I started to be put off when romantic interest Police Chief Jack Carson asked for more distance from Ellery in order to stay unbiased for the investigation. I mean, MORE distance?? As compared to, what, the five words he spoke to him be
Klara
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
2.sth rounded up to 3

This is a quick, entertaining and comfortable read with some funny moments but it never went above ok for me. As an avid Lanyon reader, I've been wondering for a while if Josh Lanyon's pen name has been hijacked by an AI that's been fed too many Lanyon books, and this book has only made me more suspicious. Lanyon likes her tropes and I mostly like them too but this book is too similar to Fatal Shadows (or a lot of her other books) and the similarities only highlight that mis
Meep
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: promo-deals
Have always loved cosy mysteries, I really enjoyed this. It's ridiculous but engaging. A lot of recent Lanyon's haven't worked for me but got this as a promo freebie and it proved a light fun read, really looking forward to more of the verse.

Ellery's new house sounds great, stiffling the pique at a non mystery-book-lover running a mystery book shop. I like chief Carson though there's barely whiff of romance to this, it's a series, we'll see where that goes.

Some lively characters to suspect altho
Anyta Sunday
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bring on the cozy.
I had so much fun. A light and entertaining read. Just what the doctor ordered.
Trio
Josh Lanyon’s new Secrets & Scrabble series starts of with Murder at Pirate’s Cove. As a fan of Lanyon’s incredibly stunning love scenes I was afraid I might miss the physical romance in this cozy mystery series, but I didn’t even notice. The characters are interesting and creative, plus the whole thing is beautifully written. I can’t wait for the next episode of the series!

a copy of Murder at Pirate’s Cove was provided to me for the purpose of my review
Kathleen
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it

There simply isn’t anything new here. It’s a pale shadow of the author’s older works, especially The Adrien English Mysteries. I nearly DNFd it but chose to mush on.

* Characters lacked depth
* Dialogue is uninspired
* World building is muddy
* Mystery barely held my attention

The author’s AE Mysteries is for all intents and purposes my favorite MM romance series amidst the several thousand genre books I’ve read over the past decade. This book is not of that quality.
Ami
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it

In her other pen name, Lanyon wrote cozy mystery series. So, this must be a familiar territory 😉 ... I thought it had the right ingredient. A "common citizen" gets involved in a murder case, becoming a suspect, the love interest is the chief of police, and there are townies characters that will be source of gossips.

It was enjoyable first start of a series! I look forward to see Ellery becoming more and more entangled with the community life in Pirate's Cove; for example I haven't seen h
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

So cute! I am a huge JL fan so it should come as no surprise that I enjoyed her latest. Murder at Pirate's Cove is a Cozy mystery and I have not read many of those, mainly because the opportunity never presented itself. It's a great genre of mystery/romance, where the main focus is on the mystery, and the character/romance is secondary, although in Pirate's, the potential for romance was very front and center.

Ellery is the new g
Skirmish
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.com/2020/05/01/...
Rating: 4 Stars – minor quibbles but I loved it to bits
Caz
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, m-m, mystery-thriller
Murder at Pirate’s Cove is the first book in a new series of cozy mysteries by Josh Lanyon – a kind of Adrien English meets Jessica Fletcher if you will! All the ingredients of the genre are there – a small village community, eccentric characters, dastardly doings and an intrepid hero; in this case one who ends up at the wrong end of a murder investigation!

Screenwriter Ellery Page left New York and his cheating boyfriend for the small Rhode Island resort town of Pirate’s Cove when he inherited a
W.
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Josh Lanyon is a hit or miss for me ; and Murder at the Pirate's Cove was a hit.

It gives you, exactly what it promises, a perfect cozy mystery.

I just reviewed Murder at Pirate's Cove: An M/M Cozy Mystery by Josh Lanyon. #MurderatPiratesCoveAnMMCozyMystery #NetGalley
Ulysses Dietz
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Murder at Pirate’s Cove (Secrets and Scrabble 1)
By Josh Lanyon
JustJoshin Publishing, 2020
Four stars

“It isn’t very pretty what a town without pity can do.” (Gene Pitney)

The first of what is going to be a charming series of cozy mysteries featuring failed-actor-now-bookshop-owner Ellery Page, “Murder at Pirate’s Cove” sets the scene for both bloodshed and romance. Aside from Lanyon’s expected good writing, I was instantly reminded of her iconic “Adrien English” series, also featuring a bookshop ow
Karen
What a charming introduction to a new series of Josh novellas, a cozy mystery written with wit, grace, and the precision of someone who, unlike her protagonist, knows their way around the wide world of mysteries. An eccentric group of resident characters/suspects, a possible is-he-isn't-he love interest, a forbidding mansion, a distinctive local festival, and a melange of small-town secrets — in other words, the primary ingredients for the quintessential cozy — made for a delightful read. And sm ...more
Achim
3.5
Promised to be a cozy small-town murder mystery with interessting characters and a slow burn in the mix - and that's what is delivered. Exactely what I needed on a Sunday afternoon at home in these times ... hm, maybe the slow burn was a little too glacial but hey, so I have something to look forward in the next book.
Joyfully Jay
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

Josh Lanyon has begun a new series, Secrets and Scrabble, and things start off with Murder at Pirate’s Cove. More mystery-centric than romance driven, this little gem is humorous, flirtatious, and chock full of quirky, small town characters. But it’s Ellery who really stands center stage and captures the interest and will continue to do so if this first book is anything to go by. Having said goodbye to a life that left him a little heartsore, ready for a career ch
Eugenia
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cozy mystery, indeed!! I think this is my first cozy mystery—I never even knew this was a genre! I like it!

I REALLY enjoyed this one, even if I figured out who the perp was early on. As always, Lanyon’s writing and characters are a joy for me as a reader.

While I would have enjoyed more romance, I like the slow pace this took and very much look forward to the next books in the series.

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.**
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I was so excited to learn that Josh Lanyon was going to write Cozy Mysteries! As a fan of Lanyon’s writing style and Cozy Mysteries, I was looking forward to seeing what a mystery series from a M/M author would be like. I loved the Adrien English series, so I had some high expectations for this new one.

First off, the backstory of Rhode Island offers a different feel right off the bat. It has a little bit of an eerie vibe to it, so I think it matched well with the genre. Another big concept
CrabbyPatty
Charming. That's the word that keeps popping to mind in reading this first book in Josh Lanyon's new cozy mystery series. We meet Ellery Page, brought to a small seaside town due to an unexpected inheritance he received from his great-great-great aunt Eudora. He's now the opener of a dilipated house and bookstore, the Crow's Nest, in Pirate's Cove, Rhode Island.

When a body is found in the Crow's Nest, Ellery is understandably horrified to learn he is Police Chief Jack Carson's prime suspect.  T
Andrea M
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reread review- 4.4 stars.

Original review-
4 stars.
-This was such a pleasant surprise, I’m glad I decided to give it a try!!
-There was one scene that gave off Jake x Adrien vibes and it was so bittersweet 🥺😢.
-(& it feels like it never fails but when I want there to be a little bit of romance between characters it doesn’t happen and when I don’t want it, the characters lose their minds over each other...and clothes😬😑)
-Anyways, I’m currently reading book 2, so that should give you an indication o
Caz
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B+ for narration and a B for content at AudioGals

The rules of the cosy mystery genre state that there should be no on-page sex or violence, the detective is an amateur sleuth and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community. Josh Lanyon is known for writing complex, suspenseful mysteries that eschew neither of those things (sex and violence), so her new Secrets and Scrabble series is something of a departure for her and, I’m led to believe, for m/m
Jordan Lombard
Violence: None on the page
Ratio of Sex/Plot: No sex; All plot
Well Written/Editor Needed: Well written
Would I Re-Read?: Yes
Personal Thoughts: This is a classic cozy mystery. It was fun and hard to put down. Though I probably should have guessed whodunnit, I didn’t,
Karin
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
This is a cute cozy mystery. My biggest issues were some inconsistencies or pieces of information outside of the mystery itself that didn't make sense. For instance, I'm fairly certain that you could not be an adult (or maybe living at all) and inherit from a great-great-great aunt, so every time this was mentioned, it took me out of the story. Also, the house is described as a Victorian, but then has an 18th century architect and the puppy is described as having a smooshed-in face but then as a ...more
Jax
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, 4-star
This was probably 3 stars in comparison to my favorites by this author. But I’m not going to penalize it just because I’m not a big fan of cozy mysteries. They’re a little too mild mannered for me and the romance element is more muted than I like. Overall this was a pleasant start to a new series and I plan to keep reading, so I’m rounding up. Hopefully there will be some kind of significant progress between Ellory and Jack in the next book, even if it stays G-rated.
Cindee
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-2020-tbr
This a good but really easy read I liked the plot and characters very much I will read more of the series soon. I really liked the characters especially Ellery he was such an interesting character someone who wanted a change of pace he instead found himself the main suspect in a murder with many not so great things happening to him. I also liked Carson he at first seemed like your gruff police officer type he became more than that he was a great love interest for Ellery although nothing has happ ...more
Calila
*Received A Copy To Review From The Author*

This is a great cozy mystery. The investigation is interesting and for me wasn't predictable for most of the book. Of course there's minimal hints of romance, but what's there is great. I enjoyed the subtle moments and glimpses at more. The small town characters were great, they never crossed into irksome for me (which is normally a pet peeve). Honestly, you know what you're getting here and it won't disappoint.
Heike
A fast paced cozy mystery comes about when Ellery moves from New York to the small town of Pirate's Cove where he inherited an old mansion and a book store from his great great great aunt. When real estate mogul Trevor is found killed in Ellery's book store he is the prime suspect of Chief of Police Jack Carson - and, slayed by the local news paper, of the whole town.
What else is left for Ellery to do but investigate himself to proof his innocence, much to the chagrin of the police chief.
This sm

• Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • The Engineer (Magic & Steam, #1)
  • A Friend in the Dark (An Auden & O'Callaghan Mystery, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Last But Not Lease (The ABCs of Spellcraft #5)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Back in Black (McGinnis Investigations, #1)
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
  • Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Bringer of Night (SPECTR Series 3, #2)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • P.S. I Spook You
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

Secrets and Scrabble (5 books)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • Mystery at the Masquerade (Secrets and Scrabble, #3)
  • Scandal at the Salty Dog (Secrets and Scrabble, #4)
  • Body at Buccaneer's Bay (Secrets and Scrabble, #5)