Start by marking “Elatsoe” as Want to Read:
Elatsoe

Elatsoe

Imagine an America very similar to our own. It’s got homework, best friends, and pistachio ice cream.

There are some differences. This America been shaped dramatically by the magic, monsters, knowledge, and legends of its peoples, those Indigenous and those not. Some of these forces are charmingly everyday, like the ability to make an orb of light appear or travel across th
Published August 25th 2020 by Levine Querido

To ask other readers questions about Elatsoe, please sign up.
Antonis As far as I know, this has been out on epub for a few weeks already. I'm sure you can find it now if you search for it.…moreAs far as I know, this has been out on epub for a few weeks already. I'm sure you can find it now if you search for it.(less)
Shima Hey, No I wouldn't say it's that type of ghost story necessary (it's not meant to be a horror novel). There is a dog-ghost, and without spoiling anyth…moreHey, No I wouldn't say it's that type of ghost story necessary (it's not meant to be a horror novel). There is a dog-ghost, and without spoiling anything, I can tell you there are some scenes involving vengeful murderous spirits but I don't think it's written to be spooky and it's not the majority of the novel.
As for Native American myths in YA, you can have a look at Trail of Lightning as well. I wasn't a big fan of it but a lot of people enjoyed it. :)
(less)

Start your review of Elatsoe
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I don't know how to review this one other than to say that it was unlike anything else I've ever read in the best way and you neeeeeeeeed to read it. This book was so well written and surprising and I feel like I'm going to be thinking about it for years to come. I highly recommend!

TW: death of a loved one, animal death, racism
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Author has confirmed that the mc is asexual!! This sounds amazing!
Lala BooksandLala
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Flawless
C.G. Drews
You know that moment when you read a blurb and whisper, "Oh this is going to be the best"...and then IT IS THE BEST?! I just had that moment. I'm very pleased. Elatsoe is such a brilliant delight of a book, that is both whimsical and lovely, and also has darkness and thoughtful themes to untangle. It's #ownvoices Lipan Apache rep and I so loved that. Plus Ellie is asexual (doesn't talk about aromanticism but seems likely too!) and my little ace heart just leaped for joy. Then it has magic and gh ...more
leo | 飛べ
Oct 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Apparently the main character is asexual and this book is written by an Apache author. This is the book I didn’t know I needed in my life
Fiona
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
If she concentrated, Ellie could feel her consciousness brush countless others; they were ghosts in the underworld Below. She wondered if she could wake them all up. How long would they play in the dark until they drifted off to sleep again?

I'd been hanging out for this book since I read the synopsis - it's finally here and it is so good!

At the most basic level, we've got a murder mystery - always a good start - but there's so much more. Ellie (Elatsoe) lives in a United States very similar to
Erica Sage
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book so much. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and I was even pondering possibly teaching it. I mean, it's got ghosts and monsters, Lipan Apache history and culture, and crimes to solve! And, it started out great -- lovely writing, pithy dialogue, and all the rest I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, it read very middle grade instead of young adult, and the pithy dialogue popped up in the midst of pivotal, tense scenes, taking away from the plot and tone. I still ...more
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases

this story swept me away from the very first page, and i loved every second of it.
Stephanie
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhh this is such a beautiful fantasy novel. "Mythic fiction" is definitely the right word for its subgenre, because the heroine practically swims in myth as she moves through this story. Elatsoe - Ellie - grew up on the stories and legends of her powerful ancestors and the monsters that they fought. Those stories support her every day - but there are plenty of other darker and crueller myths and magic at work in the world around her, too.

Ellie is a bright, confident and nerdy 17-year-old who h
Josie
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was so disappointing for me, I really wanted to love this. To start with the narrative voice felt very young and it was jarring every time you were reminded that the main character was 17. This whole story would have worked better if it had just embraced being a middle grade story. Next the conversations between people and the way information was revealed was just very awkward most of the time. For example near the beginning of the book she is with her best friend and out of nowhere and for ...more
Brody (ettubrody)
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to both Darcie Little Badger and Levine Querido for providing me with an ARC of this book.

"Don't rush stories. That's sacrilegious."

ELATSOE is one of my most anticipated releases of 2020, and it did not disappoint. Every chapter draws you deeper into this world where humans walk side by side with the beings from lore. This book strikes the perfect balance of humor, action, loss, and nerdiness that I was expecting from it.

I think what I appreciated the most about ELATSOE is that while Ell
Anniek
This is SUCH a COOL book!
Tomes And Textiles
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You can find a photo and the full review at TOMES & TEXTILES.

tomesandtextiles's profile picture
tomesandtextiles
"Don't rush stories. That's sacrilegious." -- Darcie Little Badger, Elatsoe
🤍
QOTD: Have you every just been joyfully surprised by a book?
🤍
I haven't been reading much fantasy lately, but our local book club chose Elatsoe by @darcielittle this month and it knocked me over in the softest, gentlest way. I was so wowed by Darcie's debut! Although everything appears the same on the surface of
Autumn Byrd
Let me just say, that this book was everything and this is the reason why representation matters. I have waited so long to find a book written by an Apache author, with a main character who's Apache as well. And this book was everything I knew it would be. I was so consumed by the story, that the notes I took to write a review are impossible to read from all the fast writing and how emotional I felt reading this book.

So... in 2021, once the holidays are over with, I'll be sitting down to reread
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Loved it! Now I'm wishing I could raise my dogs as ghosts. :( ...more
Adri
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CWs: References to murder, injury, and vehicular trauma; exploration of death in the family and pet death; allusions to genocide and kidnapping; some violence and assault.
sarah
Nov 09, 2020 added it
such a masterpiece of a novel! one of the strongest and most original plots ive encountered in a while. i loved ellie and kirby’s bond, and the way stories of the past were woven throughout the story. the mystery had so many twists and turns!
Izzy
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
I think the best review I can leave for this is if it interests you then read it ASAP. It’s an incredible debut with a wonderful story.
Becky
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-speculative
Y’ALL. My goodness, this book is SO good. I’ve been waiting for Darcie Little Badger to publish a full length novel since seeing her speak at an SFF convention years ago, and her debut YA Fantasy, Elatsoe, still completely surpassed my expectations. I can’t wait for everyone to be reading this beautiful, special novel.⁣

Elatsoe is set in a world like our own, but all of the monsters and magic from myth and legend are real. Think ghosts, vampires, animated scarecrows, coyote people, and the fae a
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Nov 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Caidyn (he/him/his)
CW: death and grief

I was sold when I started hearing about this book that it was 1) Indigenous ownvoices and 2) featured an asexual main character. I immediately added it to my mental list of books I need to read for Indigenous peoples heritage month. And I wasn't disappointed. I picked it up and finished it within a few hours because it was that hard to put down.

Ellie's family has a special power to bring things back from the dead. Never humans, though. Humans are where things go wrong. Animals
Michelle
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well, this was a bit of a disappointment...

I enjoyed the initial idea for the plot, and I really liked the Lipan Apache stories included in the book, but overall I think this was quite badly written. I found the dialogue cringeworthy at times; Ellie and Jay have supposedly been friends since they were young, but this is not reflected in their dialogue at all. They seem to know so little about each other. In addition, they're supposedly 17 years old, but they read more like 12 year olds. I also
Jasmine
This is exceptional, I hope Darcie writes for a thousand years, this is such a good book.

Illustrated! Ghosts! Family! Very Good Ghost Dogs! Ace main character! Storytelling! Ghost Whales! Vampires! Ghost Mosquitos! Friendship!
Rishika Aggarwal
culture was the most important part of belonging

It's been a while since I read a YA that sang to me in the way that this book did.

In a world similar to our own, but shaped by magic as much as by technology, Elatsoe can raise the ghosts of the dead. Knowledge says that her skill should be limited to animals, and human ghosts are less the people they once were and more vengeful spirits that cannot be controlled.

But when her cousin dies in a suspicious hit-and-run, and his ghost visits her d
Elizabeth Turnbull
When Elatsoe's cousin is murdered and comes to her in a dream to identify the killer, she is determined to ensure that justice is served. In this magical America, Elatsoe uses her well-honed skill at raising ghosts, passed on through her Lipan Apache line, to conduct her investigation with the help of her friends and family. Vampires, Fae, and ghost dogs with wagging tails flesh out the narrative, which turns out to be a hopeful, heartfelt tale of love and loyalty, friendship and family.

With sub
Ashley
4.5/5 stars

i was immediately sold once i heard that the MC had a ghost dog companion. a ghost. dog. COMPANION! it tugged at my lil ole heartstrings. on tope of that that, the oral tradition storytelling and worldbuilding was so much fun and compelling. not to mention that this book had some scenes that were especially spooky which i was not expecting, but thoroughly enjoyed.
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
3.5 stars, rounded down.

I enjoyed it but was more annoyed by El than not. She did act like a teen with supercharged superpowers though, so that was cool? I did like that unlike most YA novels, her parents were present the entire way through the story, and the arc was built on family ties and the strength of family, instead of the (white) YA-typical growing individuality and independence of the protagonist.
Vianne
this was delightful!
Carolyn Klassen
Elatsoe was cute and fun with hints of serious, dark topics. I enjoyed the fast-paced adventure style plot with a bit of a mystery thrown in there. I also love that the author has confirmed that Ellie is asexual so yay for ace and queer representation!

It took a while to get going but once I saw the forest for the trees, I was excited and stressed to find out what would happen with Ellie's family. And so many important topics were touched upon. Hereditary land rights, traditional burial practices
Erin || erins_library
(Review copy provided by the publisher)

Elatsoe is a young adult novel set in a world close to our own, but with magical abilities and mythical creatures that are commonplace enough that no one bats an eye at it. The main character, Ellie, is Lipan Apache, asexual, and has the ability to raise ghosts of the dead. Ellie’s ability is passed down through lessons and stories in her family. It’s a responsibility they carry to remember it and keep it out of the hands of the wrong people.

What I enjoyed
Play Book Tag: Elatsoe - 3 stars 1 11 Nov 20, 2020 10:14PM

• Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Reasons to Stay Alive
  • The Dismissal of Miss Ruth Brown: Civil Rights, Censorship, and the American Library
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • The Jewel and Her Lapidary (Gemworld #1)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • The Vanishing Half
  • The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Winterwood
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Black Bird, Vol. 1
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
Lipan Apache geoscientist, writer, and fan of the weird, haunting, and beautiful.

Articles featuring this book

“Maybe, sometimes, wants felt like needs. Because the alternative hurt too bad.” 7 likes
“...You can bring a guest to the wedding, but nobody too weird. I get that you're asexual, so, like, it can be a friend or zucchini or...' She trailed off, sounding a bit uncertain. "Yeah. Just. Nobody my parents would hate. They already don't like the groom.'
'Cool. Does my dog count as too weird?”
2 likes