Start by marking “Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)” as Want to Read:
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale

(Knuffle Bunny #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  43,582 ratings  ·  2,619 reviews
Merging expressive cartoon network-esque illustrations with beautiful black and white photographs of Brooklyn, this funny story tells how Trixie and Knuffle Bunny's trip to the laundromat with Dad goes terribly wrong when Trixie realizes some bunny's been left behind...! Her attempts to alert Dad all the way home are unsuccessful, until Mom points out that Knuffle Bunny is ...more
Published July 7th 2005 by Walker Books Ltd (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Knuffle Bunny, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  43,582 ratings  ·  2,619 reviews

Start your review of Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
Calista
This is a neat bit of artwork. He took pictures of real life settings and drew cartoons onto the setting to tell this story. I love it!

It is a simple beginning story. The child and father go to the laundry mat to wash clothes and the tot gets the stuffed bunny stuck in the washing machine unintentionally. The tot goes crazy and it’s the mom who figures it out. It’s a very cute story.

I was just reading ‘don’t let the pigeon drive the bus’ yesterday and saying how I don’t like Mo’s artwork, but I
Ellen
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely everyone.
I'd give this book extra stars if I could (5 is so limiting, no?) for the amount of times the phrase "she went boneless" has made me laugh at completely random moments during my work day. It's a perfect description of what toddlers do during a tantrum. You know, when they collapse on the ground (this is great fun in a public place) making them nearly impossible to lift. I also happen to love these illustrations, with simply rendered drawings superimposed on black and white urban scenery ...more
Matt
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mo Willems is truly a versatile author, able to entertain his young readers with a few long-developed series, but also inject some new ideas and characters on occasion. Even as a wee lass, Trixie loves her Knuffle Bunny and takes him along when it’s time to go to the laundromat. On the way home, Trixie realises that she’s forgotten her beloved friend, but cannot convince her father to turn around, as she has no actual words yet. It is only upon their return to the house that Trixie’s mom notices ...more
Manybooks
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Now while on a nostalgic and personal level Mo Willems' Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale sure does resonate (for I too once misplaced a treasured plush rabbit as a toddler), I really do not all that much like the accompanying illustrations. As sorry, but I have always been rather easily creeped out by especially cartoon-like images and little Trixie with her overly large and bulging eyes really does almost give me the proverbial willies so to speak (and therefore, while I can appreciate Mo ...more
Julie
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A fellow work colleague from the Youth Dept. at the Library brought my attention to this book. My children are grown. I borrowed this book purely for my own enjoyment. I liked it very much and have just completed the third book in this series.
Ronyell
“Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale” is a Caldecott Honor book from Mo Willems, creator of Cartoon Network’s “Sheep in the Big City.” This book is about how a toddler named Trixie loses her Knuffle Bunny at the Laundromat and has a hard time trying to tell her dad that they lost Knuffle Bunny. “Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale” is truly one of the most brilliant children’s books ever written that children will love for many years!

Mo Willems has truly done a brilliant job at writing and
Sophia Triad
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
You may know Mo Willems by his Pigeon books and his Piggie and Gerald books, but I truly believe that his Knuffle Bunny saga books are his best.
Beautiful black and white photographs of Brooklyn and amazing colourful illustrations describe the story of little Trixie and her Knuffle Bunny and how it develops as Trixie grows up.

In this first book Trixie is so little that she can not talk. This is a funny story that tells about
-Trixie and Knuffle Bunny's trip to the laundromat
-how Trixie lost her
Megan
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I debated adding the picture books I've read because they are so short and when you've worked in a children's library they can quickly add up. That can be slightly misleading when the book count at the top says, "you have read 1965 books!" That being said, I'm only putting on my absolute favorites and what I consider to be quality children's literture. People are always having babies and books make a good gift. So here are my suggestions just in case you've ever been tempted to pick up ...more
Melki
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
Heart-rending, yet hilarious tale of a toddler who's not yet able to speak, and her attempts to communicate that her favorite toy has gone missing - Trixie bawled. She went boneless.
(Have you ever tried to pick up a boneless child? It's nearly impossible!)

I like the combo of cartoony characters set against b&w photos.

description

It's easy to see why this one has become a modern day classic.
Kaethe Douglas
The PandaBat loves this, even though she's never had a special stuffed animal or blanket or anything.

***

The PandaBat has always loved Knuffle Bunny. Which is not as ominous as it sounds. It's a good thing, really.

2007 Dec 20

She really loves Mo Willems, too. The Elephant and Piggy books, the Pigeon books, all of it, except that one travel book. Which she doesn't get.

***

2008 Jul 12

If there's a baby coming into the life of someone you know, give the Knuffle Bunny and the two sequels. They will love
karrie's corner
If your child has a blankie, stuffed animal or other comfort item, you will appreciate this little tale of a girl and her father doing laundry at the local Laundromat. Mo Willems combines photographs of his own neighborhood in New York City, and superimposes his colorful drawings into the pictures. What you get is a really effective storyboard. (In a most of candor, Willems admitted that he Photo-shopped all the trash and debris out of the pictures when he noticed how dirty his neighborhood ...more
Sarah Jane
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
In this popular children’s picture book, Knuffle Bunny, Trixie, and her father take a walk to run some errands. After a stop at the laundry mat they head back home. Suddenly, Trixie realizes something is amiss. Because Trixie is a small child, she doesn’t have the words to communicate to her father what is bothering her. When they arrive home, Trixie’s mother knows right away what is wrong. Trixie, father, and mother rush out the door to make it right.

Knuffle Bunny is creatively illustrated
Philip
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems is the current children's book Juggernaut. It seems all of his books are hits. His Pigeon books are hilarious. His Elephant and Piggie series: brilliant.

Of his oeuvre though, I contend that the Knuffle Bunny series is the best. Of the 3 books, 2 won the Caldecott Medal.

So, we read all three in order tonight. Here is Eleanor's review for the first one:

Me: Tell me why you liked the first book.

E: Because Trixie was a baby. And I like babies.

Me: Tell me what happened in the book.

E:
J. Boo
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-kids
The NICU where DS#2 spent a few uneventful days (*) had a shelf of free children's book giveaways, which is where I got this.

Didn't particularly care for the story of a baby losing and (do I need a spoiler?) (view spoiler) her stuffed bunny. Didn't like the illustrations, either: cartoons overlayed on top of pictures of hipster New York City neighborhoods.

I've pulled it out once or twice and none of the kids have been interested. Perhaps for DS#1, who is very tightly
SurLeFur ©
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always keep your child involved in helping out with easy to do small-chore-related tasks such as inserting coins into a laundry machine, helping scoop detergent out of the box into the washer, adding fabric sheets to the dryer, finding an open laundry station to fluff and fold. It will be exciting when your son or your daughter "helps" you pick out a machine at the laundry mat or helps you set up the station with a basket, cart, or to do just small chore-related tasks.
midnightfaerie
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We finally got around to reading the first Knuffle Bunny, when Trixie was a baby and first got her bunny, and lost it for the very first time. The illustrations again were Caldecott honor worthy and a unique way of following the story. Willems once again delights the younger and older audiences alike in this book. A worthy addition to any children's library.
Kris
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ah, Knuffle Bunny is a classic for a reason. Funny and creative and a great read-aloud. I love the mix of cartoony illustrations and black and white photos, and the story is relatable to all parents and kids. I think my favorite part of the books is the expressions on the parents' faces, starting with the photo album in front.
Lisa Vegan
I really love the incorporation of photos of real places and the paintings (not at all realistic) of the characters and other objects that make up this book’s illustrations.

The story of a lost favorite toy of a preverbal child will strike a chord with young children.
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
A MILLION STARS!
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
Perfectly captures that childhood experience of losing a beloved toy, and that frantic feeling when you realize it.
Allison Tebo
Dec 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Erm, sorry.
Baby Bookworm

Hello friends, and Happy Father’s Day! We’re back after a week off, and excited to share our review of a family favorite, Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems, a hilarious autobiographical story of a girl, her dad, and her unusually-named best friend.

One day, Trixie and her daddy go for a walk to the laundromat, bringing along Trixie’s constant companion: a stuffed rabbit named
Jeanene DeFine
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Knoffle Bunny is described as a 'cautionary' tale. The main character Trixie and her beloved stuffed bunny are off on an errand with her father. They are going to the laundry mat to wash clothes. Trixie is happy to help her father. She is even allowed to put money into the machine. They left the laundry mat and made their way back home. After a couple of blocks Trixie realizes she doesn't have knuffle bunny. She begins to form words that don't sound like words to her dad because she had not yet ...more
Kandice
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mackers
This book was featured in September 2014 of Virtual Book Club for Kids. It is a very simple story of a toddler, Trixie, and her best friend, a stuffed rabbit she calls Knuffle Bunny (pronounced Ka-nuffle Bunny). One day, they head to the Laundromat with Trixie’s daddy. After loading the machines and heading home, Trixie realizes that she doesn’t have Knuffle Bunny. She doesn’t speak yet, so she tries to communicate what is wrong to her father through random jargon. Daddy doesn’t understand why ...more
Katie Carson
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the images of this book; the way the black and white photos worked together with the bright, colorful illustrations, I really thought it brought the characters to life.

What really stuck out to me was Trixie's inability to verbalize her realization that she had left Knuffle Bunny behind. In working with young children, I am always curious as to what is behind those elated shouts of joy, the few heavy tears or the fits of absolute terror. Trixie's father expresses frustration with his
Jenny's
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Knuffle Bunny, caught my eye at the local bookstore. Filled with black and white photo's with cartoon characters imposed over the top. The art captures your attention. Then you open up this little story and are transported back to those days with small munchkins in toe. All the frustration and craziness, and joy flooded my senses and memories as I remembered my Knuffle Bunny experiences with small children.(I have five children). I found myself chuckling out loud as I came to the page with the ...more
Steve Holden
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
On a reflective Saturday, it's time to pay some due to Mo Willems. While in college, Mo Willems became a big thing in the picture book world. This is my favorite series he has created, and I just love the tribute to his daughter, Trixie, in the form of Knuffle Bunny.

This is a beautiful book to page through and look at. The combination of photographs and cartoonish illustrations make for a wonderful presentation. When you factor in the moving story of a young girl and her favorite stuffed
Dolly
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a great story that our girls could relate to. It's about a Dad and a young toddler spending time together. But it's also about the struggle of that young toddler who is learning to talk and the frustration of the Dad who doesn't understand.

In addition, it's illustrated in a very unique way, using real photographs superimposed with cartoon characters. We've read this one a few times.

This book was selected as one of the books for the May 2017- Caldecott Honors 2003-2007 discussion at the
Klaudia Maniakowska
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mo Willems does a beautiful job by juxtaposing the photographs depicting some background with the cartoon-like characters. The story of little Trixie and her toy is really poignant. In my opinion, the illustrations are so expressive that the text is, in fact, unnecessary. Trixie’s facial expression when she “realized something” is so telling that the readers are already aware what she realized. I enjoyed reading the book, and I felt as if I was watching some of Cartoon Network series.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I wouldn't have given this a Caldecott, but it's certainly better than Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
Knuffle Bunny 1 7 Apr 02, 2017 10:51PM
discussion 1 2 Nov 01, 2016 06:09PM
Parents Reading B...: Knuffle Bunny 5 15 Aug 28, 2015 11:26AM
Toys 2 6 Mar 01, 2015 02:26PM
Totally Awesome Picture Book! 1 10 Sep 09, 2012 08:12PM

• No, David!
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, #1)
  • Tuesday
  • Diary of a Worm
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Alphabet City
  • Seven Blind Mice
  • Kitten's First Full Moon
  • Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
  • This Is Not My Hat
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • Bear Snores On
  • Corduroy
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early

Knuffle Bunny (3 books)
  • Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity (Knuffle Bunny, #2)
  • Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion (Knuffle Bunny, #3)
“Aggle flabble kabble . . . snurp?” 40 likes