Start by marking “The Good Mother” as Want to Read:
The Good Mother

The Good Mother

Amy’s life is picture perfect. Mess with that picture – you’re going to pay.

Amy’s life is close to perfect – two lovely daughters, a wonderful husband and she’s queen bee in her circle of soccer moms. She feels content, like she’s finally put some distance between herself and the terrible events of long ago.

The only fly in the ointment is Charlotte, a recent arrival to
Published January 8th 2020 by Inkubator Books

To ask other readers questions about The Good Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Mother

Start your review of The Good Mother
Betty
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
If Amy had to describe her life in one word, it would be 'perfect.' Her marriage, her home, twin daughters. She feels certain she's the envy of her close-knit circle of friends. Everything was just as she wished it to be—until that shameless woman moved into town and had the audacity to allow her to play soccer on their soccer team. And now her daughter wanted to be friends with that woman's child? Amy decided right then and there that Charlotte had to go... one way or another.

Charlotte is a
Books Just 4 Me
Amy is clearly haunted by a traumatic past and is obsessed with keeping complete control of her “perfect” life. The new arrival Charlotte is a single mother, also with a traumatic past, who is looking to raise her daughter in a safe environment. Charlotte is a free, hippy spirit who doesn’t conform to Amy’s standards and that makes her a target when she moves into their neighborhood. Rachel is Amy’s BFF and she would be the follower of the soccer mom group. She has a whole set of her own issues. ...more
Kristi Schmitz
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book because the premise was interesting. As a mom of 3 kids, one of whom is obsessed with soccer, so I can relate to the cliques and "mean girls" attitudes that come along with elementary and middle school PARENTS and their kids. I empathized with Amy's childhood trauma and understand how that made her obsess over giving her kids an easier life. However, I really couldn't stand her. She was such a mean person who reeked of insecurity and jealousy, and I didn't like ...more
Alyssabedford
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book as billed as a psychological thriller, but it is actually a domestic thriller (my favorite kind!) The Good Mother gave me “Big Little Lies” vibes.

We all know that I’m a sucker for soccer mom clique drama. Trashy gossip from suburban white moms is my niche, so this book was right up my alley.

This book is about Amy whom I would give the title of “Head Mom”. She’s the number
Shalini
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this domestic drama with a dash of thriller. I felt like a voyeur trying to soak up the gossip in the neighborhood.

4 ladies who were kind of best friends + a newcomer + strange murder and rape happening in the neighborhood + irrational fear due to a childhood event = made this a potboiler of a drama where Amy was in the eye of the cyclone. Rachel was her best friend. Charlotte, the newcomer, was the brunt of Amy's viciousness. And a death occurred.

My first book by author Cathryn
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Good Mother is an intense read that opens with a prologue that is every woman’s worst nightmare and sets the tone for the rest of the story. It is a chilling account of violence (trigger warning) and is an example of how such a brutal attack of violence not only effects the victim, but how it can also be very traumatising for those who happen to witness it, especially if it is a child. It is a story that is thought provoking, heartbreaking and it had me engrossed and captivated from start to ...more
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Good Mother is a stark warning that we can all become products of our past. The past can haunt us, and it can keep tiptoeing back into our lives. Is it ever possible to bury the past? This premise is one that sends chills down my spine. Can darkness seep its way into Pleasantville? The characters seem to have the perfect life, the perfect husbands and children but what darkness threatens to tip the scales…is the catalyst a new neighbour? This sets the tone for the entire story.Violence has ...more
Jannelies
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2020
I finished the book in one day, in between watching TV and cooking dinner. On the one hand, it was such an easy read I didn’t need to use 100% of my attention to read it. On the other hand, it didn’t captivate me so much I couldn’t do anything else.
I found it a rather strange book and I didn’t like the characters much. All they do (except Charlotte) is argue, fight and drink. And after having drinks, they get into their cars. Which is absolutely very irresponsible and I’m wondering why the
Anne
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book even though there were very few likable characters. Of course we sympathize with the protagonist, Amy who is living in a little cocoon of misery and paranoia as she relives the aftermath of her mother's rape years ago and tries to protect her twin daughters. So when newcomer, Charlotte moves to town with her daughter, she becomes Amy's target as she tends to dress seductively and in Amy's mind is "begging" men to notice her. This is basically Mean Girls Grow Up (but don't ...more
Melissa Borsey
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of craziness within this book, guilt, obsession,paranoia, and they all need air conditioning desperately. I probably would have rated this book higher but it was more like reading about teenagers than adults and that became annoying very quickly. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Jodi
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amy has devoted her life to her family. She is the queen bee of a group of soccer moms at her twin daughters' elementary school, married to a successful and handsome man, and living in a beautiful suburban home. But Amy fears that it can all fall apart at any moment, and believes it is her job to protect her family at any cost. As a child, she witnessed a horrific incident that shook her to the core. She has promised herself that this will never happen to her daughters.

Charlotte scares Amy.
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was a well written domestic thriller.

I liked the way that the author told the story from the points of view of the three main female characters, Amy, Rachel and Charlotte – this has to be my favourite style at the moment and I thought that the author did a great job with this, the pace was slow and it crept along really well to build up the suspense and the writing style was spot on!

The author has created some great complex characters
Vanessa
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-x
The Good Mother by Cathryn Grant is the first book I have read from this author and I enjoyed it however, it did not grip me at first like other books I have read recently.
It's a domestic thriller about three friends, Amy, Rachel and Charlotte. Amy and Rachel have been best friends for years and Charlotte is new to the area.
This book is told from their points of view, by all three characters. However, some of the characters within the book were unlikeable and I just wanted a little more
Donna Hines
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
'Perfect' Amy meets 'Shameless' Charlotte in this epic dance of danger!
What has attracted these two birds is just that BIRDS! But it's not the living rather the dead and it's more than just two.
Sadly, these two are not seeing eye to eye but rather an eye for an eye!
It's danger and the ones in the bullseye aren't even these two but rather an unsuspecting victim who drank too much while in a hot tub.
Go figure?!
While everyone questions whether or not anyone had a role in this other ladies death
Traceysyearinbooks
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the story of three friends- Charlotte, Amy and Rachel. Amy and Rachel have been friends for a while and Charlotte is new to the area. The story is told from the POV of all three characters.

Some of the characters were unlikeable but that just made me want to know more about them. The first half of the book was slow with not much happening. The pace picked up in the second book.
The book had suspense but there weren’t any real twists and turns. The ending of the book was satisfying.
An
Mild Language.
julianne
Dec 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, dnf, 1-star, netgalley
Yet another domestic drama billed as a psychological thriller. Bland characters, bland plot and bland writing. Not for me at all I skipped through parts and can't really claim it as read for the yearly challenge hence the DNF here.
Amanda
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the synopsis for 'The Good Mother' and it certainly sounded like just my kind of read. I love psychological thrillers that have a surprise or two within the pages of the book. So I grabbed a cup of tea, secured my comfy spot on the couch and started to read. Oh my word, 'The Good Mother' was certainly a read and a half, which I did enjoy but more about that in a bit.
I can honestly say that I didn't take to the character of Amy at all and by the end of the book I literally couldn't stand
Laney Estel
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-tbr
BOOK REVIEW
BOOK: The Good Mother
AUTHOR: Cathryn Grant
@cathryngrant_fiction

At first this book feels to me like one mom being catty about another mom, almost irrationally. But it’s so much more. It’s the effect of trauma on your life, and the importance (ultimately) of dealing with it and healing.

This book was such a good ride. There were parts I felt myself skimming just because it seemed like the same conversation. But in the end, the payoff was good and I felt satisfied with the outcome.
Cindy Bokma
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trouble in the neighborhood! I’m pretty sure we all know someone like Amy. She is picture perfect and her good looking children have perfect manners. Her husband is a handsome, hard-working guy who lavishes attention on his wife. She has everything she has ever wanted and more. Nothing ever goes wrong in this family. Their house is beautiful, even outside each blade of grass is in perfect formation.

In The Good Mother by Cathryn Grant, the pretense of perfection can’t last forever. Or can it?
Mary
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2019, net-galley
Thank you to NetGalley for providing to me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
-----
Amy’s life is picture perfect. Mess with that picture – you’re going to pay.

The only fly in the ointment is Charlotte, a recent arrival to this affluent suburban
Jen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. It centers primarily on Amy, Rachel, and Charlotte, 3 moms living in the Silicon Valley area. Amy and Rachel are the cliquey and popular soccer moms, and Charlotte is new to the area and a little more unconventional than the mom group. Amy takes an immediate dislike to Charlotte and recruits her group of friends to join in her exclusion. The chapters alternate between those 3 characters. At the same time, a string of rapes has happened in their town, and Amy, who harbors ...more
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley, Cathryn Grant and Inkubator books for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book is a domestic thriller in the ilk of Liane Moriarty but it falls somewhat flat very quickly. It wins the award for the least likeable protagonists ever written. It follows the story of Amy and Charlotte, Amy is a popular soccer mom. When Charlotte, an attractive single mother arrives at the school Amy takes an instant dislike to her on the basis of her
Sara Troup
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
A big fan of Liane Moriarty and Sally Hepworth, I was very excited to receive a galley of The Good Mother from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Unfortunately, this book fell flat for me and if it weren’t for the promised review, I most likely would have put it down at the halfway point if not earlier. I felt the writing was juvenile with step-by-step sentences of what the characters' actions, lacking anything complex. The characters were immature and not fully developed. I couldn’t ...more
Incredible  Opinions
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Thank you Netgalley and the Inkubator Books to give me an opportunity to review this book in exchange for an honest review.

My first book by Cathryn Grant and it didn’t disappoint at all. She has wittingly worked on the idea of the trauma which not only the victim of a brutal violent attack suffers but also how it affects the person who happens to witness it, especially a child. This book has been labelled as a psychological thriller but I find it closer to a domestic thriller.

The book is about
Heather
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
While The Good Mother is being pushed as a domestic thriller, I am not sure I would classify it as such. The Good Mother definitely has a domestic story to it about mothers, families, and friends but it lacked in the thriller part. I did enjoy the story and the dynamics between the women in this fictional town. I felt sorry for the main character, Amy. She had a very hard childhood with her own mother and that has spilled over into her adult life with much paranoia and some obvious mental ...more
Maggie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Amy was always well turned out, had a handsome husband, two lovely daughters. Others looked up to her. However, haunted by events in her youth she is obsessive about keeping her family safe. Charlotte moved to the neighbourhood looking for a safe place to raise her daughter. She is a photographer. She dresses in what the other 'soccer moms' consider 'inappropriate'. Rachel regards Amy as her best friend, even though beside her she feels fat & frumpy. She has a husband who adores her, but ...more
Christina
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I don't even know where to start?

I think I'll start with my favorite characters - Trent and Meadow ( and I usually hate the children in a book so that must mean something, right?) The were by far the sanest around!

Then with the so-so character - Charlotte.. and even she is not THAT likeable.. I mean if you know that someone DOESN'T WANT YOU TO TAKE PICTURES than just stop?? I mean wtf! and don't get me startet on (view spoiler)
Nan Borton-smith
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Read!

Cathryn Grant has written a tense domestic thriller that anyone who has ever been on the sidelines in suburbia for a soccer Saturday, can identify with.
The story was narrated mainly by 3 different women’s perspective on what was going on in their enmeshed neighborhood where appearances are more important than reality.
The three main characters Amy, Racheal & newcomer Charlotte have more in common than they don’t yet Amy, the Queen-Bee of their enclave takes an immediate and
Reanna Byars
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Amy’s life is pretty much perfect. She has a handsome husband, lovely home, and two adorable twin daughters. When Amy and her group of friends are at their kid’s soccer game, Amy takes notice to a new mom to the neighborhood. How could she not notice? The way the woman dresses alone, she’s just asking for the attention of everyone around, including the husbands. Well, Amy just isn’t going to stand for that. She’s not going to let someone compromise her perfect world - no matter the costs.

« previous 1 3 next »

• The Secrets He Kept
  • The Perfect Mother
  • The Woman Who Destroyed Christmas
  • The Stranger's Wife
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Single
  • The Lies We Hide
  • It Was Always You
  • Hurry Home
  • Who Did You Tell?
Cathryn Grant's short fiction has appeared in Alfred Hitchcock and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazines, The Shroud Quarterly Journal, and been anthologized in The Best of Every Day Fiction. Her short story, "I Was Young Once", received an honorable mention in the 2007 Zoetrope All-story Short Fiction contest.

Her psychological suspense fiction reveals the motives and desires that lead to suburban crime.