Jump to ratings and reviews
As Stella Wright's Nantucket candle store thrives, her knack for solving mysteries burns equally bright--especially when a Halloween haunted house uncovers evidence of a centuries-old murder...

When Stella's friend inherits a creaky, abandoned home in Nantucket, she knows it's the perfect setting for the town's annual Halloween fundraiser. A deserted, boarded-up building on the property--once used as a candle-making shop--adds to the creepy ambiance. But as Stella explores the shack's dilapidated walls, she discovers a terrible secret: the skeleton of a Quaker woman, wrapped in blood-soaked clothing and hidden deep within a stone hearth...

While police investigate, Stella wastes no time asking for help from friends with long ties to Nantucket's intricate history. The key to the murder may lie within a scorching 18th century love triangle that pit two best friends against one another over a dubious man. But before the case is solved, another life will be claimed--leaving Stella to wonder who in Nantucket is friend, and who is foe.

298 pages, Paperback

First published August 25, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Christin Brecher

5 books339 followers

Visit Christin's website at www.christinbrecher.com to learn more about the Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series, and to sign up for the newsletter!

Christin Brecher was born and raised in New York City, where her family and many childhood friends still reside. As such, she feels she is as much of a small-town girl as any. The idea to write the Nantucket Candle Maker series sprang from her life-long connection to the small island off the coast of Massachusetts. Spending summers there as a child, Christin read from her family's library of mystery novels; after which she began to imagine stories inspired by the island's whaling heyday, its notoriously foggy nights, and during long bike rides to the beach. After many years in marketing for the publishing industry, followed by years raising her children, Murder's No Votive Confidence is Christin's debut novel.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
61 (6%)
1 star
15 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 207 reviews
Profile Image for Miranda Reads.
1,588 reviews153k followers
March 10, 2021
description

Just finished an Unboxing and Review Video for the Sweet Spooky and September YA boxes from Once Upon a Book Club!

My reading rep code: MIRANDAREADS10

description

So excited that this SWEET book made it! Click the link for my video review of this one and the other Spooky and September YA books!

Link to Once Upon a Book Club if you want to check out their other boxes!

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Profile Image for Natalia  R.
275 reviews156 followers
August 1, 2020
Stella Wright owns a candle store, Wick and Flame, on the island of Nantucket. It's almost Halloween and Stella has volunteered to help the girls scouts prepare for their haunted house fundraiser for the island's neediest. The creeky, abandoned house is owned by Stella's friend and he has kindly given them permission to use it. While exploring an old chandlery behind the house, she finds a skeleton hidden in the wall. She starts an investigation to learn more about the hundred-year-old skeleton and uncovers a dark mystery, involving robbery, betrayal, murder, and buried treasure. When one of the people called in to investigate is found dead and the treasure map goes missing, Stella becomes determined to solve the mystery.

15 Minutes of Flame by Christin Brecher is the third book in the Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series. This is my favorite of the series so far. The characters were engaging and the descriptions of Nantucket were lovely and rich with detail. I particularly loved reading about the island's whaling history and the role women played during that time. Stella is a very likable character, and I feel like she's someone I would be friends with in real life. She's smart, funny, brave, and has a penchant for solving problems and mysteries. The author has done a wonderful job of developing her character, and I can't wait to see what's in store for her in the upcoming books. I'm excited to explore her new house and see which direction her love life will take.
The mystery kept me on my toes until the dramatic reveal. The historical mystery is weaved effortlessly with the present-day murder. I enjoyed the conclusion of both mysteries. I thought this was a great addition to the series, and I eagerly await the next one.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,040 reviews1,501 followers
January 31, 2022
15 Minutes of Flame by Christin Brecher is the third installment in the cozy Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series. As with most cozy mysteries each book of this series does contain it’s own mystery to be solved so they can be read as a standalone or in any order if choosing to do so. There is though some character development that carries over from book to book for those that follow the series from the beginning.

The Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series introduced readers to Stella Wright who lives in Nantucket and owns her own candle shop, the Wick & Flame. Stella sells candles in all kinds of scents looking to create the perfect candle for every customer coming into her small store.

Unfortunately for Stella she also has had a couple of cases of tracking down a murderer and hopes to never have to do that again. However, now a friend of Stella’s has inherited an old run down property that used to be another candle shop. When exploring the property Stella finds and old skeleton that seems to be yet another murder victim from years ago.

The Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series is another cozy series that I have followed from the beginning and in this case have wanted the series to grow on me and hoped to enjoy them more. I believe the series is just not as quirky and humorous as I am normally drawn to and everything in here is what I feel is just alright and doesn’t seem to stand out to me as much as some others. I do love the setting of Nantucket and the interesting theme of the candle shop but with a just ok feeling I’m not sure I’ll return to the series.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.com/
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews268 followers
September 23, 2020
Dollycas’s Thoughts

We arrive in Nantucket just before Halloween and Wick and Flame owner Stella Wright is helping the Girl Scouts set up a haunted house for a fundraiser. When Stella checks out a shack on the property she finds it used to be a candlemaking shop. With the owner’s approval, she is taking down a sign from the mantle to display in her shop. But she finds more than she bargained for. She finds a skeleton. From the clothing, it looks to be a Quaker woman and she has been there a while. It is not long before this skeleton leads to another and then a dead body.

To calm fears, Stella moves into the house while the police investigate, but Stella just can’t stop herself from doing her own sleuthing. When she starts to uncover some key facts she knows she is on the right track. A track that could get her life to be snuffed out next.

In this third installment, the author brings some of Nantucket’s history to light. With a 100-year-old skeleton entombed in the shack you know, there has to be a dark story.

I love the way Stella continues to develop over the course of this series. She is smart and truly has her friend and local cop, Andy’s number. She works her way into the police investigation and persuades him to fill her in on what they have and what they are working on. Reporter and boyfriend, Peter was a little distracted this time but by the end, we know why. Emily was under the weather but helped Stella as much as she could. All of Brecher’s characters are well developed and have a purpose in the story. The dialogues were also very well-written

Ms. Brecher unraveled the old story alongside the current one seamlessly with plenty of twists and turns. There is also quite a treasure hunt that ends up being very important to the story. The pacing was perfect. The ending was so well-played out. Finishing this book on Dame Agatha Mary Clarissa Christie’s birthday was very apropos.

I do love the candlemaking theme. This time readers learn about candle clocks. I was totally captivated by them and loved that Stella was teaching a class on how to make them.

15 Minutes of Flame has it all, great characters, mystery, murder, betrayal, and secrets. There is a fair amount of humor too. I really enjoyed this story! I am looking forward to the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Chatting About Cozies.
1,118 reviews48 followers
November 9, 2020
Brimming with uniqueness, cozy mystery fans will find this well-plotted story absorbing. I was surprised, time after time, at the plot twists, and found the characters and events quite interesting. I do recommend the Nantucket Candle Maker series to fellow cozy lovers’. The Nantucket setting, as well as the craft of candle making are fascinating. I learn something new in each story I read! Enjoy this Halloween time cozy mystery.
Profile Image for Kate Baxter.
540 reviews39 followers
October 15, 2020
3.5 / 4.0 Stars

Such a fun cozy mystery...and just in the nick of time for the festive Hallowe'en season. There's a haunted house on Nantucket Island, ghostly apparitions, creaky nightly noises, a mystery within a mystery and a fair number of red herrings. What's more for a cozy mystery reader to love?!

I was charmed by author Christin Brecher's world building of current day Nantucket Island - a story with which she is personally familiar. She has cleverly drawn on the island's historic whaling industry to build an historic mystery within a current day mystery. The characters are just that - larger than life, amusing and full of wit and charm. The writing flows easily as the story builds to a tense crescendo and satisfying resolution.

Thank you Christin, for having shared Stella Wright's delightful story with me. May Stella's stories flow richly from your pen as I can't wait to read more.
Profile Image for Little_wing.
53 reviews38 followers
September 11, 2021
This cozy was perfect for getting me in the mood for Halloween! The author’s third (and final so far) book of the series and I hope there will be more Stella adventures to come. Adorable town, characters and plot. My only request? Stella end up with Andy. They are perfect for each other - who agrees? 🤭
105 reviews2 followers
August 1, 2020
If you love Halloween and haunted houses you will love this book.

Stella and her friends are helping the less needy of the Island by putting on a haunted house tour in the old Morton house that some believe is really haunted. On Saturday morning Stella is checking out the back of the mansion in the old shack where was to believe a meat cooker. What Stella finds surprises her, above the fireplace is a sign Coppers Candles. She has heard that candles where made on this street centuries ago. She calls Mr. Morton to ask about the sign and he tells her to keep it, it was meant for her.

As Stella is pulling it from the wall she discovers a skelton. Of course Stella loves a good mystery she has solved a couple. She calls Pete her boyfriend who works for the local newspaper and Andy her cop friend and from there all the the excitement starts.

From staying over in a haunted mansion alone to climbing down a well a night to getting a little tipsy with a questionable movie person.

Does Stella get her killer? Well you will have to read to find out!
But it will be a joy and a fun time doing it!I

I love this series and Stella and the characters that surround her I can't wait for the next book.
Profile Image for Tari.
2,063 reviews67 followers
August 30, 2020
This was an awesome Halloween story! Sometimes in books it's hard for me to really get into the historical mystery that exists, but I found myself really intrigued and interested to find the outcome. Stella and Peter were in a good place, but he seemed distracted during the case and didn't help quite as much as Stella would have hoped. He had a good reason which was revealed at the end, but Stella was able to help Andy even more than usual which I think may have gotten Andy a little more interested in her than longtime childhood friend. I really hope a triangle doesn't start in full force. For the second time in a cozy, I like both guys equally and would feel bad rooting for either.

I loved the gathering of suspects type showdown and how in some way, the skeleton of the Quaker woman that Stella found got to help take down the killer (not literally, no worries about spookies if that's not your thing.) The setting of the Morton House and the little shack was so perfect for the Halloween event they planned. It was nice and eerie at times but only in an explainable way. This has quickly become one of my favorite series, and I'm very anxious now to read the next book.
Profile Image for Mystereity Reviews.
778 reviews43 followers
December 3, 2020
While setting up a Girl Scouts haunted house, Stella stumbles across an old skeleton entombed in the chimney of an old chandlery behind the house. Soon, police discover the bones are very old and call in an expert named Solder and his assistant Leigh to determine the age and origin of the remains. It comes to light that the victim is one Patience Cooper, who, as legend has it, was robbed of a collection of money raised to invest in merchant ships and then disappeared.

While researching the unfortunate victim in the chimney, another related case comes up of a friend of Patience who killed herself by jumping down a well, An expedition is formed to descend into the well, where another skeleton is found, clutching a map indicating the location of a treasure. When a tree suddenly falls over, trapping Leigh in its branches, Solder is found dead, strangled and bludgeoned. Can Stella untangle the threads of an old mystery while finding a modern day killer?

I found this on Netgalley and although this is the third book in the series, it's my first entry and you can bet I'll be reading the first two ASAP. I can safely say this can be read as a standalone or as an entry into the series, as it doesn't seem like many details from previous books are present, or if they are, are adequately explained.

I absolutely loved the atmosphere of the book from the first page! Great, engaging characters, a romantic setting at seaside Nantucket and an intriguing mystery spanning generations. What more could anyone ask for? I totally admit I had no idea whatsoever whodunit, the culprit was neatly hidden very well until the dramatic reveal at the end.

I did feel that the historical mystery wasn't tied up as well as the modern mystery, as what happened to the "treasure" and what was found at the location really wasn't explained or even brought up again. That would be my one gripe. Where is my happily ever after for Patience's treasure?

Overall, this was one excellent read and you can bet it'll be on my list of ones to follow eagerly for each new installment.
Profile Image for Jeanie.
1,173 reviews1 follower
September 24, 2020
This series gets better and better! I really enjoyed October on Nantucket Island and visiting Stella Wright and her candle shop again. Wick & Flame is a sensory delight, with colors, scents, and designs that sound stunning! A treat this time is learning a bit of history on the island as it relates to candle making, including clock candles and some of the island families. I also liked seeing Stella’s cat, Tinker, who has become a huge part of her life in a short time with his unique cat-sonality.

A friend of Stella’s is allowing a home he owns to be decorated and used for a Halloween house for a local fundraiser. In back is what was thought to be a smokehouse that was locked up, at least until the Saturday before Halloween. When Stella arrived, she went to explore when seeing the door open. The inside is delightfully described, except for one little thing. Stella saw a sign indicating it had once been a candle shop, a once-thriving business in the height of the whaling days. When the homeowner said she could take the sign to her apartment, she busied herself trying to pry the heavy wood from the stone of the fireplace. Unfortunately, when she got the sign off, stones that were behind it began to fall out as if pushed by something from behind, and there was a sudden blast of cold in the building. Fortunately, before she saw the worst, Peter, her boyfriend came in looking for her. They both saw the skeleton inside an opening in the wall where the sign had been.

Childhood friend and now a police officer, Andy came as soon as Stella called him, as did the coroner. Due to the age of the remains and the clothing, it is a case for anthropologists, procedure for a body exceeding 100 years. They learn that it is the remains of a woman, probably Quaker due to the clothing, and probably murdered. Research and anthropologists tell them who it might be – and where the remains of her best friend may have spent the last 150 years. Then a mysterious death occurs while the second woman is being sought, and the only person seen in the area who wasn’t supposed to be there was … a ghost?

As a fan of historical mysteries, watching Stella and friends old and new research the past in the area, was very interesting. I struggled to figure out whodunit, at least of the new murder rather than the old murder. The characters, including the new ones, are defined primarily through their conversations and behaviors. I thought I had figured out who the killer was but was absolutely wrong. All the loose ends are tied up, and I am looking forward to the next one. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys well-written cozy mysteries with solid historical and contemporary flavor, candles, and cats.

From a thankful heart: I received a complimentary copy of this novel, and this is my honest review.
Profile Image for Kristina.
3,359 reviews60 followers
September 18, 2020
15 Minutes of Flame is the 3rd novel in A Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series. It can be read as a standalone for those new to the series. Christin Brecher upped her game with 15 Minutes of Flame. Stella Wright owns Wick & Flame on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. It is interesting learning about unique candles and how to make them in each book. This time Stella teaches the Candleers how to make clock candles. I enjoyed the word imagery describing Nantucket Island especially the Morton house. I can understand why Stella loves the beautiful old home. Stella is a likeable and relatable protagonist. She is a clever, friendly, kind, and brave. Stella stands up for herself and her friends. She is quick to notice details and discern clues. Stella also has a knack for getting people to talk which is helpful in her investigations. There are a variety of quirky characters including Old Holly, Agnes, Jameson Bellows, and Brenda Worthington. The mystery was fascinating. I like how the modern mystery weaves effortlessly with the historical one. There were a variety of suspicious suspects. There are some great twists as well. It was fun following Stella as she worked to solve the two whodunits. Who does not love a mystery that involves a treasure map? There was a good wrap up of both mysteries with the exception of one little detail (I cannot say because it would be a spoiler). The ending was satisfying and just what I had hoped would happen. 15 Minutes of Flame is my favorite book so far in this series. I am eager for Stella’s next adventure. 15 Minutes of Flame is a delightful whodunit with clock candles, scary skeletons, a tumbling tree, a missing map, creepy cobwebs, and a curious candlemaker.
797 reviews12 followers
July 10, 2020
A really good addition to the series. The mystery kept me guessing and the characters are interesting. I was very sorry to reach the end of this book.

Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Laura.
272 reviews16 followers
September 26, 2020
I’m not sure what happened ! maybe it was my mood but this book did not hold my interest :( the first two I enjoyed , In fact I skipped half the book and went to the end and I still wasn’t impressed.....
Profile Image for Peggy R.
1,012 reviews65 followers
August 2, 2020
I've been a fan of this series since the first book, but I think book #3 is my favorite so far. Stella is a wonderful character. I like that she is settling into Nantucket with her store and her family. She has a good mind for puzzling out mysteries, but sometimes can be a bit hasty in her sleuthing and it can get her into trouble. I see some changes coming for Stella in future installments and I am looking forward to seeing where the author takes the characters.

I enjoyed the mystery in this installment. It weaves together a historical mystery with a modern-day murder, with Stella at the heart of it. The author does a good job of providing a small but varied pool of suspects and crafts the clues in such a way that it can lead the reader to conclude that any of them could be the killer. The author wraps the mystery up in a very satisfying way and ends the story in a way that opens up future possibilities for Stella. I can't wait to see what comes next.

I voluntarily read a digital advanced copy provided to me by the author, through her publisher on Netgalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
417 reviews19 followers
October 2, 2020
All Stella wanted was an antique sign but what she got was so much more. Now there are multiple murders and a mysterious map that has disappeared.

An enjoyable blend of two time periods when an innocent find turns into a deadly discovery. A diverse cast of characters adds to the story set in charming Nantucket Island.

I have not read the first two books in the series but had no trouble following this story. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for an ARC. The opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Megan W. (pnwbookworm).
724 reviews19 followers
Want to read
August 18, 2020
Although this is the third book in the series I went ahead and started with it. I do think I would have enjoyed it more had I started with book one so I will be going back to read the first two books. I still very much enjoyed this one I just felt like I missed some nuances. I loved the start of the story and how the skeleton was found. I thought the mystery was fascinating and I loved all the information about candles! If you love candles and cozy mysteries then this is a good one to check out!
Profile Image for François Thurston.
369 reviews16 followers
October 5, 2022
JUST HAPPY TO HAVE FINISHED OUT THE SERIES.

Sometimes in life the hardest thing for a reviewer can be to review a final book in a series that was incredibly disappointing. On the one hand you don't want to say anything mean nor do you even want to slightly tarnish the author with your review - but on the other hand what is a review if it isn't completely transparent?

This is where I find myself with 15 MINUTES OF FLAME By Christen Brecher.

This is book #3 (The FINAL book) in the Nantucket Candle Maker series and honestly it's a series that began on an absolute high for me - and - as the saying goes 'what goes up, ineveitably must come down'.

So this is where I find myself.

Book 1 in the series received 4 Stars from me - Though mystery leaning (as opposed to Cozy leaning) I was blown away by just how good it was.
Book 2 let me down but wasn't horrible (3 Stars). There was more 'cozyness' but the mystery wasn't as good as book 1.

Then we get to book 3!

A 2 Star book if ever there was one in my own opinion.

Premise: We continue to follow Stella (the owner of a candle store in Nantucket). On this particular occasion she uncovers a real skeleton in a trapped shed like place. This leads to an investigation in a well. While in the well, one of the crew members (assisting with the mystery) is killed and we need to work out who the killer is. We also deal with some weird psychic woman (and I don't recall anything psychic prior to this moment, so it seemed way out of place).

Honestly the whole thing was just nuts. It was such a let down and to be honest, I went into this book giving it every chance. I had no idea what to expect and honestly hoped for the best for the last installment of the series.

But the mystery was not captivating at all and the coziness just seemed like it was 'there cause it had to be'.

In this case, I honestly feel that Brecher would have benefitted from having Murder's No Votive Confidence (book 1) be a standalone. However, as this did not happen it over all became a disappointing series made sadder because I hadn't come across a candle making cozy series prior to this.

2 Stars!
xoxo.
October 11, 2020

I really enjoy the Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series from Christin Brecher. I love the setting. I love the plots. I love the protagonist Stella, her family, her friends, and her boyfriend Peter (although, true confession: I’m still pulling for her childhood best friend Andy. Sorry, Peter. It’s nothing personal). And this latest release, 15 Minutes of Flame, is my favorite so far because of the historical mystery woven into the modern day murder to solve.

The mood of the story, of the plot & murder mysteries, gives off a delicious Halloween vibe – just eerie enough to go perfectly with a cozy quilt, a mug of hot apple cider, and your favorite fall snack … without going over the top on the believability or spook factors. My kind of mystery, for sure! I was hooked from the moment Stella uncovers the centuries-old Quaker murder victim skeleton & stayed fully engaged until the very end. And the Nantucket setting couldn’t be more perfect for this story.

Bottom Line: 15 Minutes of Flame is a fabulous third installment to a wonderful cozy mystery series and leaves readers intrigued to see how the ending plays out for Stella in future books. The mystery within a mystery adds further layers to the plot, fits the fall mood perfectly, and really made it my fave of the series so far. There’s a lot to love about this book, and a lot to keep you invested in the outcome. A lovely way to usher in the fall season!

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book)

first seen at Reading Is My SuperPower
Profile Image for Kim.
684 reviews27 followers
November 2, 2020
15 Minutes of Flame by Christin Brecher is the third book in the Nantucket Candle Making Mystery series, and Brecher does such a fantastic job with character development that you won’t be lost if you haven’t read the previous two books. The characters are really where the story came alive for me. There are lots of quirky characters that I can’t wait to read more of their adventures in future books and it always pleases me when the romantic relationship in a cozy mystery series doesn’t take over the story, which is the case in 15 Minutes of Flame.

It was also very interesting to learn more about Nantucket during the 1800’s and more about candles. The candle clock is such a simple and cool thing that I had never heard of before. That is just one of the many reasons why I love reading books, learning new things and being able to explore new towns.

I did know the whodunnit early on, but Brecher had so many red herrings and different things in motion that the reveal was still fun. There were a couple of things that I had to let slide a little on, like Stella and friends being able to come into the crime scene and the police not coming in to do a thorough investigation first, but it is fiction, so… :) And I did like that Stella took initiative in trying to find the killer even at her own peril.

I’m looking forward to solving more mysteries with Stella and hope to see more of Agnes and the rest of the candeliers in future books.
Profile Image for HMS Brown.
280 reviews10 followers
July 10, 2022
15 Minutes of Flame is the third Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery by Christin Brecher and it's most definitely my favorite. This book ran a duel murder mystery: one in the present day and one from the past that was currently being investigated, complete with archaeologists, historians, and many interested parties from within the island itself.

Stella found herself in the middle of another mystery that left me turning the page for more. I thoroughly enjoyed reading a story that focused on the history of the island, even within a fictional setting. Brecher wove a terrific tale set in a wonderful place I would love to visit in real life: Nantucket Island. Someday I'll get there.

In the meantime, I'm left wondering what's going to happen when a certain someone runs off to Iceland. And what about Andy? I truly hope a follow up book will be written. (Don't worry - it's not a cliffhanger, I promise!)

Thanks very much to NetGalley and Kensington Publishing for an ARC of this book. All opinions stated in this review are my own.
Profile Image for Kirsti.
2,456 reviews83 followers
September 8, 2020
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

Oh I did like this one! Combining the much older mystery with what was happening in present day worked really well, because ultimately we wanted to know what happened in both, and how they were tied together. So many people had secrets or seemed to be up to dodgy things that there was no shortage of red herrings and suspects in the case. Putting it all together really was hard work but we got there in the end for a satisfying mystery!

Sucha unique setting and theme, I also like the more art based books as well. Candle making is such an interesting thing too, and makes for some cute titles in this series. Five stars!
Profile Image for Lisa Morin.
1,652 reviews44 followers
June 4, 2020
15 Minutes of Flame is the second book in this new cozy series.
Stella lives on the island of Nantucket, where she runs her candle shop, The Flame and Wick.
While preparing for a Halloween Haunt, Stella stumbles upon the remains of a body, at least 100 years old.
The investigation takes an ugly twist when another murder takes place, and everyone seems to have a motive.

I really want to like this series, but for some reason I can’t connect to the characters. I get a weird vibe with Stella & Pete’s relationship, they act more like friends. Maybe it’s just me. My rating is based on my like of the story, the mystery, and writing style. I’m going to keep on reading this series.
1,241 reviews48 followers
September 30, 2020
A big step up from the last book. Flame is a solid cozy mystery that has a timely Fall/Halloween theme. Stella does one bit of daredevil activity, but it's more realistic than what happened in the last.

The many secondary characters get mentioned and a few sentences, but it's hard to get connected to them since the action is so Stella focused. A new character, Clemmie, would make a great side kick.
Profile Image for Nicole.
64 reviews5 followers
December 12, 2020
This is the first book I have read by Christin Brecher and I will definitely be going back to the beginning of the Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery series! I have always been a fan of cozy mysteries and Christin Brecher gave me exactly what I was looking for when it came to a cozy. I loved that this particular book incorporated elements of fall/halloween by having a skeletons, ghosts, a haunted house, and a murder! I would highly recommend to pick this up during the fall or whenever you are itching for a little halloween spook in your life!
Profile Image for Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629).
550 reviews24 followers
August 9, 2022
So sad that I finished book three. It does not appear like there will be a book four at all, or at least any time soon.

Fabulous cozy mystery series. And the ending of book three just set up our heroine, Stella Wright, for something I had been hoping for! Yikes! I need a book four!

But…. like I said in the prior book of this series I feel Stella makes a terrible cat mom. Poor Tinker.
Tinker aside, this is a most enjoyable series. I definitely recommend.
Profile Image for Lynn.
332 reviews2 followers
March 22, 2021
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing right up till the end. I have heard rumors that this is the last one in the series, and if that is true, I will be very sad. I enjoy visiting Nantucket and Stella (the candlemaker of the series title) and her friends. In this book, there are two mysteries, the first about 100 years old, and the second happening in the present. Both are intriguing, even though there is no one to be held accountable for the first murder. If you enjoy clever mysteries set at Halloween, you want to check this book out!
Profile Image for Jessica Robbins.
2,589 reviews39 followers
October 19, 2020

Stella certainly gets more then she bargained for this time. We start with the island gearing up for Halloween. The girl scouts are planning an event an old home in the area. Things are going great until Stella goes to check on an old out building that should have been locked tight. Once inside she finds an old candle maker sign that the owner says she can have but when she removes it stones fall from the wall. Behind them is a really old skeleton which leads to her looking into a cold case. This connects to an old well on another property which they use the officials to go down to look. A second skeleton is there but before they learn more the expert ends up dead while they all fight the foliage. Two cold cases and new one makes for an intriguing investigation to say the least. The story unfolds smoothly keeping the reader entertained as the clues unfold. A wide range of characters gives lots of options while drawing you further in. Steels makes for great MC as she uncovers it all. A total must read for cozy fans. I totally loved it so I give it 5/5 stars.
Profile Image for Dawn.
524 reviews25 followers
December 23, 2020
Another entertaining installment in the Nantucket Candle Maker Mysteries. I continue to be pleased by this series overall, even if it took me a while to get through the book due to the busier season of Christmas preparations.

What I liked about 15 Minutes of Flame:
The circumstances of the murder case
- Sometimes, with all the foul play that occurs around a series protagonist in a relatively short period of time, I question a) why someone would stay friends with the main character and b) why they continue to live in the series location at all! (Yes, I do realize this is the nature of a cozy mystery series and I am using my sarcasm font.) Dropping the snark, I liked that there is some variety among the first three books in the "how and why" of the victims.
Seasonally chilling - Given that there was a Halloween theme to this one, the creep factor was the perfect blend of spooky and cozy.
Stella's personal life - One detail I has me very happy. Another has me a little concerned. And the final one leaves me a somewhat ambivalent, but I am willing to see how this plays out.

What I didn't care for:
An abundance of characters to dislike
- I took an immediate dislike to Solder, Leigh, Old Holly, Fontbutter, and Bellows. It didn't even matter if I thought them guilty or not, they were merely dislikable and it made my dislike feel stretched too thin.
Editing issues - More excessive use of 'said', a couple of random words missing from sentences, and one major inconsistency in the last chapter. It doesn't turn me off the series, but I notice. I always notice.
A dangling thread - We never did get to know exactly what the specific identity of the treasure contents were! I thought there might be one last big reveal but nope.

Well, we're left with a bit of a cliffhanger here, and I am relieved that book four is in the works because I need to know what's going to happen. I know what I'm rooting for!
Profile Image for Marsha Keeper Bookshelf.
4,242 reviews69 followers
August 24, 2020
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

‘15 Minutes of Flame‘ is the third title in the ‘Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery‘ series. I have not yet read the two earlier books (that’s on the schedule to get caught up on) and I didn’t feel the least bit lost. So, although I’ll try my best to read a series in order, sometimes it’s just not possible – I’d call this one standalone material, but I imagine I’d have enjoyed it more with the background from the earlier stories… that’s just the type of reader I am.

Stella is planning on helping out the Girl Scouts’ fundraising this Halloween season with a haunted house tour – and she has the perfect building. Creepy, ancient, crumbly, and spooky it’s the perfect spot. Right up until Stella discovers a skeleton wearing crumbling, ancient bloodstained clothes sealed up where no natural death would have left a body – within a wall. As the experts set out to discover what happened to this woman, Stella will begin her own investigation with surprising results. Soon a modern-day murder will add even more questions to the situation. Are the murders somehow connected?

There are intriguing historical facts woven in alongside a very present-day murder with fascinating results. Red herrings, twists and turns galore, this one kept me guessing right up to the reveal. No, there are no more clues to give for you should try to solve this mystery on your own. I enjoyed the main characters very much and will definitely get caught up on this series before the next release. If you love puzzling out a mystery, a bit of history, secondary characters who bring a story to life, and a hint of ancient candlemaking, then you’ll love ‘15 Minutes of Flame‘.

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from the publisher, Kensington Books via NetGalley. That does not change what I think of this story. It is my choice to leave a review giving my personal opinion about this book.*
Displaying 1 - 30 of 207 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.