Start by marking “Experiencing Grief” as Want to Read:
Experiencing Grief

Experiencing Grief

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
At one time or another, we will all find ourselves facing a dark journey—the passage through grief. Experiencing Grief is written for a person who is in the wake of despair grief leaves. This brief but powerful book will help lead readers out of their grief experience through five stages of grief. At the end of the journey is peace and a seasoned, more mature faith.
Published July 1st 2004 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about Experiencing Grief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Experiencing Grief

Amory Skaggs
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really great resource for those experiencing grief and also for those watching others experience it. Why you or they are reacting certain ways, how to work through those, and how to keep moving are all areas that the book really give great insight to. Highly recommend.
Sharon Hughson
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know if I could have read this book when grief over my mom's death was fresh. Even a year later, many passages put me into tears or brought other emotions to the surface. I do believe this book's greatest value lies in helping those who want to help someone they love through the grieving process. It spotlights different behaviors that are completely normal so we won't worry when we see them in our grieving loved one. Also, the information here might help me grieve more effectively throug ...more
Mary
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for those experiencing grief. It was difficult at times to read due to the emotion, but helped a lot.
Dennis
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book helped me understand the complex stages of my grief and move forward.
David Ebel
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a pastor for many years and certified trauma, grief and loss responder I realize how few "tools" that can help people grieving. The wonderful benefit of Experiencing Grief is that it was written by a seasoned "griefoligist" H. Norman Wright, who not only helps individuals but even large businesses and churches to walk through the experience of grief smoothly and with great responses.

I have purchased and distributed over 150 copies of this book and used it whenever the need was immediate. Wee
Andy Hickman
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Helpful book.

Wright, H. Norman. Experiencing Grief. Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group, 2004.

“We need to take a step that for many of us is difficult – yield. Yield to your grief. Let it do its work in your life and mourn.” - H. Norman Wright.

“(Grief) has been labelled everything from intense mental anguish to acute sorrow to deep remorse. As some have said, 'It is a feeling of heaviness. I have this overwhelming oppressive weight which I can't shed.'” - H. Norman Wright.

Often a person suff
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short read, slender book, but it is thick with information on the grieving process. While this pertains mostly to grieving the death of someone, it can be applied to the "death" of a relationship, a business, or any thing else that ends and causes a person to grieve. I have learned a lot from this book as it has put the proverbial face with the name: why do we grieve and what are the scenes of grief we all experience; everyone grieves at their own pace. Woven through this book is the explanation ...more
Yari
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given this book days after my loss but it was too soon. Now, after about 18 months, I decided that if someone was kind enough to send me this book I should at least open it and I'm happy I did. It puts grief in its proper place. "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Rev. 21:4
I feel relieved.
Danielle
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my new widow friends gave me this book shortly after Greg passed away. I didn't open it for weeks but when I did I wondered why I hadn't earlier. I'm glad to know that my feelings are not odd. Or wrong. And that others feel the same as I do. Another book that is nice to give in sympathy cards. It's the right size to fit in an envelope and mail along. I also think those not grieving will understand those of us who are better if they read this book.
Jenna
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
intrusive

It was a very intrusive book. The author knew exactly what i was feeling and slowly going through it. I didn't feel alienated or rushed to understand it. I have not experienced such a close physical death but only spiritually and a lot of this book really covers all of the bases with my situation. It was eye opening and spoke to my heart.
  • Good Grief: A Faith-Based Guide to Understanding and Healing
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible (The Politically Incorrect Guides)
  • Red Letter Christians: A Christian's Guide to Faith and Politics, a Citizen's Guide to Faith and Politics
  • I Second That Emotion: Untangling Our Zany Feelings (Book & DVD)
  • The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life’s Final Chapter
  • Revolve Devotional Bible-NCV
  • For These Tough Times: Reaching Toward Heaven for Hope and Healing
  • Baffled to Fight Better
  • Selecting Effective Treatments: A Comprehensive, Systematic Guide to Treating Mental Disorders
  • Letters from the Land of Cancer
  • Listening to the Language of the Bible: Hearing It Through Jesus' Ears
  • Learn New Testament Greek [With CDROM]
  • The Anxious Christian: Can God Use Your Anxiety for Good?
  • Under God
  • Mansions of the Heart: Exploring the Seven Stages of Spiritual Growth
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Breakfast with Bonhoeffer