Start by marking “The Snowdonia Killings” as Want to Read:
The Snowdonia Killings

The Snowdonia Killings

(DI Ruth Hunter Crime Thriller #1)

A small-town murder. A big city detective. Can she unravel the gruesome trail of clues before the killer strikes again?

Paperback, First, 404 pages
Published November 1st 2019 by Stamford Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Snowdonia Killings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snowdonia Killings

Start your review of The Snowdonia Killings
Dana
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
The Snowdonia Killings is the first book in the DI Ruth Hunter Crime Thriller Series.

LOVED this book! Devoured it! Absolutely loved the setting, so descriptive. Set against the majestic backdrop of Snowdonia. (Side note - I was unaware such a place existed until reading this book and doing my own research - very cool)

I was extremely impressed with how well written the characters were. I really got a feel for who both Ruth & Nick were as individuals. (Along with many others we meet
Kristi
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Snodonia Killings is the first in the DI Ruth Hunter Crime Thriller series. It is a brilliantly written thrill ride with some of the most descriptive prose I've ever read! Wonderful characters that leap off the page in a setting that's as bleak as it is gorgeous. Well done, Simon! Well done! I am looking forward to more of your work!
Noel Charchuk
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent police procedural with a female police inspector recently moved from London to a quiet town in Wales getting dropped immediately into a double murder investigation. The suspects are many and she is assisted by a local police sergeant in solving a complex case with many twists and turns and a very surprising ending. The main characters flaws and background make them believable and relatable. Looking forward to reading the author’s follow up sequel coming out mid-February.
Grethe
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I got this ARC from the writer in exchange for an honest review.

In a small town in the Welsh countryside, two people get murdered within a short period of time, and the community is shocked and afraid.
For Detective Inspector Ruth Hunter this was not what she signed up for, when she left the crime filled streets of London for a calmer life. Together with deputy Nick she struggles against time trying to find who’s responsible for the killings; but the suspects are many and the relations between
Denise
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
In search of a new start somewhere quieter and less violent than London, DI Ruth Hunter transfers to a small town in North Wales. She has barely set foot in the place, however, when a schoolteacher is murdered in the school's parking lot following a parents' evening and Ruth is put in charge of the investigation. As it turns out, quite a few people had reason to dislike Arabella Dixon, and a second murder soon after does little to whittle down the pool of suspects.

Great series opener offering a
judith M Morgan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the story, and vivid descriptions of North Wales. It's such a pleasant change to have stories set in our country. However, I was disappointed in the spelling mistakes in Welsh names eg Glynd?r instead of Glyndwr.
This is probably a proof reading error, but none the less frustrating for a proud Welsh speaking Welsh woman. We sometimes get the impression that it's all too much trouble to get our language right.
I certainly look forward to reading more books by Simon McCleave, and
Ruthfreckles
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, when Simon approached me and offered me a copy of his book I was thrilled. I always loved criminal books and this one was beyond expectations. Amidst the descriptions of breathtaking Snowdonia, and a killer on the loose making me suspect EVERYONE, I can say that I was with my chin on the floor with the reveal. I didn’t expect it, at all.
The SnowDonia Killings was a fantastic thriller and I will certainly follow all of Simon’s works!
Rachel Thomas
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
First off, I’d like to thank Simon for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this novel before its’ publication. It was a privilege to be included in the advance reading team.
The two main characters, Ruth and Nick, are a prime example of “opposites attract.” Ruth is an expert in her career field and has been in her line of work for many years. She is level-headed while on the job and has a level of determination and passion for her career that is unmatched by the other detectives.
Tony Parsons
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
3/201/7, Crane House # SE15. DI Ruth Hunter (49, North Wales PD) directed the CID officers & AROs to go to the 5th. floor.
SE London, England. Peckham Pelican Estate Flat # 127. Kossi “Taz” Asumana (husband/father, drug dealer, Peckham Boys gang member), Zaria Asumana (wife/mother), & their 2 young children resided there.
Kossi had already been shot/killed.
Zaria was covered in blood but alive.

11/5/2013, Sarah Goddard (Ruth’s partner) got on a train at Crystal Palace station & was
Billie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Detective Inspector Ruth Hunter lives with the pain of her partner’s mysterious and unsolved disappearance. About to hit fifty, the veteran police officer trades in the crime-ridden streets of London for a more peaceful life in rural North Wales. But Ruth has barely settled into her new position in North Wales Police, when the body of a brutally murdered woman is discovered…with
Darlene
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular location for a terrible crime

DI Ruth Hunter is looking for a simpler life as she leaves the Met for Snowdonia. She is still reeling from the disappearance of Sarah, her life partner. She needs quiet and healing, hoping to find it in her new posting.
DS Nick Evans is deep in his cups and not handling work or life well. He's fit, handsome, anxiety ridden and angry all the time. Not what you want in a work partner. The two investigators will have to learn to trust each other as they go
Lynsey
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Simon is a master at creating characters that sing off the page! Read my last blog post to get a feel of this wonderful author!

The characters of Ruth and Nick are extremely well formed, a intriguing backstory for Ruth and an addiction battle for Nick. Ruth’s romantic partner suddenly went missing a few years back with no traces. Nick is an alcoholic and during is trying to detox by himself whilst working the case. After first impression prejudices have been worked out they
Denise Michelle
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is set in Snowdonia and being local to the area I wasn't sure how I'd feel about reading a crime about the area. I thought I'd be a little spooked. But suprisingly I really enjoyed the book and hearing names of familar places. I loved the odd Welsh bits added to the book too!

I found the book was written in a great way, it made me feel like I was a part of the story and kept me wanting to read on!

I was taken in from the first few chapters and found I was trying to guess 'who done it'
Alex  Jones
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the debut from Simon MccLeave, anf introduces DI Ruth Hunter.

Hunter is a disillusioned London Cop. Her partner disappears off the face of the earth. With no reason and no body to be found. Hunter ups sticks and moves to North Wales for a slower pace and quieter life...

On the day she arrives a brutal killing takes place, and the body of an unliked teacher is found with a strange sumbol carved into her hand.

Teamed up with an alcoholic partner, Hunter soon realises life is not going to be
Mirza Baig
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow!! Just Wow!! Even though this is author Simon McCleave's debut novel, he seems to have quite mastered his act in delivering suspense, thrillers, and most surprisingly excellent humor.

While the plot is simple, the excellent pacing and the in dept description of the Wales landscape keeps you on the hook throughout the ride. Moreover, the characters are well explored with enough intrigue left in them to warrant a guarantee revisit to the world of DI Ruth Hunter.

Cant wait to get in to the
Leigh
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a character driven crime novel set in the sublime landscape of Snowdonia in Wales; featuring stories from myth and legend as a backdrop to a modern day murder mystery. The story is about DI Ruth Hunter, who transfers to Wales to escape the harshness of London policing, and to help overcome a traumatic event in her personal life. If you enjoy a well-plotted crime read with strong protagonists, then I'd recommend you give this debut novel a try - it's going to be a series and the author's ...more
Mary
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a good solid read. It is found to see the relationship between Ruth neck and her daughter Ella to grow This book is a good solid read it the growing relationships between Ruth and her daughter and her SIL Nick intrigue one and help build characters in rose's grappling with problems but they will survive only if she lets them in Nick is also grappling with alcohol is a but finding the cure is something he has to do. The murderer is a secret until the end you want to keep reading.
Cathy
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old fashioned murder mystery.

This murder mystery was a good read. It had twists and turns you wouldn't expect. The two main characters, Ruth and Nick had their share of faults but as the story read on, they seemed to overcome them. The story seemed to repeat some parts and some parts seemed out of place, but for the main story it was a very good tale. If you like English mysteries then this book is for you.
J Davies
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply Superb!

This book deserves six stars, but the system only allows five. It has several red herrings and twist and turns that keep the reader guessing to the very end. A great if troubled main character and the others are interesting too. The descriptions of the North Wales surroundings and the locations are vivid. The whole thing is very well written. I couldn't hear to put it down.The next one is on pre-order. Thank you very much Simon.
Norman
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Di Ruth Hunter gets per request a transfer to Wales. On her first day a murder occurs Although murders do happen it is uncommon where she is assigned and everyone is upset and of course she has the weight upon her as the new DI. The person teamed with her Nick is an alcoholic and he has his own demons. Can they form a team that can work together to solve the murder when a second murder occurs which is unprecidented. The pressure is on. Well worth reading
Hamish Bremner
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first novel in a series about DI Ruth Hunter, recently moved to Wales from London. I was interested to read this book because of its setting in Wales. After the first few chapters I was not sure if I liked the story, but then the pace picked up and I could not put it down. I liked all the characters in the book and the twists in the plot. A second title has been published this month and a third is soon to follow. Definitely a new author to look out for.
sandra gallagher
A good page turner

Thougherly enjoyed the book moves along quickly and easy to follow characters the main two are a good pair together.The storyline was excellent it's fast paced and the plot thickens with every chapter.There was no guessing the culprit which is disclosed and a surprise who done it.This is the first book I've read of this author but i will be reading more hoping they'll be as good as this one
Sharon Hopper
Good Read

This was quite a good mystery and has piqued my interest enough to read the next one. I actually would give this 3.5 stars. (I am quite stingy with awarding stars.) I greatly enjoyed this book, the Welsh setting, the flawed investigators, the tragedy of the circumstances of the murder, the red herrings and the final revelation. The number of editing mistakes were high and sometimes distracting, but other than that, I would certainly give this a go!
Shaun Taylor
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A proper page turne

One of those rare treats a detective murder story that you don't figured who has done it in the first ten pages.
Basically ordered because it was cheap and about Wales. The characters are well rounded and have the potential to develop in the second book. Enjoyed so much have pre ordered the next book
Gina Pickering Hutchison
A fast paced whodunit that I didn't figure out until the end! I liked the interaction between Ruth and Nick, and how this team of coppers made it work. There were a lot of Welsh words and references I didn't understand, but I could deal with that. What drove me crazy were the typos, missing words and other errors that should have been caught during editing. A quick, easy read.
Eileen l Rizvi
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written , Ruth’s character turns out great easy follow,but leaves it open for next book to find out what happened to Sarah. Well written with some twists certainly the ending I did not quite predict to full extend . I would definitely read more of this writers books as I d loved the twists and storey line of guessing. Well done
Joanie Hinton
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first in a series,Such descriptive prose that you can feel the story. The flashbacks to four years ago didn't make much sense to me at first, but by the twist of an ending they made perfect sense! Developing main character and her partner that I'm sure will continue in the series. You know there is so much more to their stories.
Michele Zito
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally enjoyed this first nook featuring D.I Ruth Hunter. Good story line , but sometimes a bit hard to follow regarding all those sayings in Welsh. Description of Wales was also just a tad too much. But as I said I liked it enough that I will be reading the second book which I have already ordered on my Kindle.
Michele Zito
brenda evans-morris
Who done it

That is a question you will keep asking yourself right thru the book it is brilliantly written it will keep you guessing till the end so well done Simon a book that sticks in a memory for a long time
tracy adams
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing first novel

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were believable and pulled you in from the start. The history and geography of North Wales was so vivid you could imagine being there. Can’t wait to read the next book in the series.

• Dead and Gone to Bell (A Samantha Bell Mystery Thriller #1)
  • Between Two Thieves (Between Two Thieves Private Investigator Crime Thriller series Book 1)
  • Face of Death (A Zoe Prime Mystery #1)
  • Long Gone: A Detective Paul Cullen Mystery (Paul Cullen Mysteries)
  • The Hangman Box Set (Hangman #1-3)
  • No Simple Death
  • Death in the Park (Firefly Junction Mystery #1)
  • Shifting Skin (DI Jon Spicer, #2)
  • Dangerous Stakes
  • See You Soon
  • Even Good Girls: A Murder Mystery
  • Green Light (Sam Archer, #7)
  • The Wives
  • I Choose You
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Keystone
  • Hinch Yourself Happy: All The Best Cleaning Tips To Shine Your Sink And Soothe Your Soul
  • A Ration Book Christmas (East End Ration #2)

DI Ruth Hunter Crime Thriller (4 books)
  • The Theatre Street Killing