Start by marking “The Poison of War” as Want to Read:
The Poison of War

The Poison of War

When detective Frank Silva of the Tohono O'odham Nation arrived at the scene of the crime he immediately feared his investigation would require him to turn inward--to his own
Published November 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Poison of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poison of War

Start your review of The Poison of War
NAT.orious reads ☽
3.5 arrow-sharp STARS
This book is for you if… you seek insights into the issues Tohono O’odham people and the Native people of the American continent as a whole encounter. It will be atmospheric but not quite as mysterious as promised.

Overall.
I was oddly intruiged reading the synopsis of this short novel. I expeted a twisted crime that would be solved over the course of 60+ exciting pages.

What I got was the incredible atmosphere of the Mexican and South-US American prairie.

I've never
Zuzu Burford
Two killings near the border where Frank and Arturo have to break the silence surrounding the Indian Reservation to understand what provoked this crime and just who is being protected.
An interesting style by Jennifer Leeper with the crime being front and centre while we have back stories concerning the losing of ones culture, dispossession, tradition, and a gap fermenting between young and old.
Well written novella.
An independent review for NetGalley and Pensa Press
Richard
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is why I love the opportunity of receiving an ARC, advanced reading copy in general and NetGalley in particular.
It elevates your reading from tried and tested authors, leaving aside briefly the comfortable books to the more challenging. The familiar genres to the most fanciable and leaving writing of similar styles to embrace new cultures and customs.
I was intrigued to look at the lack of border security between the USA and Mexico. How an ancient people viewed their lands when an artificial
Sandra Burns
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good, short read

Mexican drug trafficking, going to an Indian reservation, was destroying the people. Two traffickers we're killed, by an arrow covered in poison. Curate maybe? The law, had to find who killed them, regardless of if they knew the person or not.
Portia
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-by-author
It’s a short novel but with a powerhouse of a story. The main story is dealing with the murder mystery. But, it has subtle side-lines focussing on human emotions.
The central theme of the book is about the cartel affecting the lives of the people of Tohono O’odham. Along with this, the author includes the theme of a complex of human emotions and how it ties everyone.
The poison of war is a great read and fresh take on regular topics. On a side note, it’s a short book, I recommend this book for a
laura8759
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Thank you so much to paul biaso for the pdf download of the poison of war about the book ...... Two Mexican drug smugglers are murdered on Native American soil and the only clues left behind are two single arrowheads in this compelling page-turner of tribal secrets and distrust at the border.
A complex web of lies, love and intrigue in the heart of the reservation pulls readers into a place and time in limbo straddling the U.S.-Mexican border which is struggling to retain its heritage and
Stanley McShane
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Solving two murders with old technology in the desert southwest is not easy. The native people in this area have lived here for centuries. There were no borders that defined their nation until recently. Jennifer pulls together the problem of drug running across native ancestral lands with no regard for the culture and the people who live there.

Frank Silva is a half-breed who is charged with protecting the land and solving a double murder.

A defunct “Indian Casino” is a beacon for the transfer of
Greg Burrell
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was too brief. The characters and story could be fleshed out to make a full-length novel. In tone it read like a much darker, grittier JA Jance or Tony Hillerman novel. The mystery was not all that interesting and, in fact, not terribly mysterious. The real power of this book comes from all the background, the setting, and the characters encountered. The book presents a very realistic look at issues facing the Tohono O'odham people (and, indeed, all Native peoples) today: land and ...more
Brianna
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
The Poison of War opens on two drug traffickers murdered with poisoned arrows. The search for the killer seems erratic and leaves you with an unsatisfying ending. Overall, so much more could have been done with this if it didn't feel so rushed and the author took the time to create more well rounded characters. I had a hard time keeping everyone straight because there was little difference to the characters.

Thank you to NetGalley for a copy of The Poison of War in exchange for an honest review.
Donna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Charles Kilgore
An excellent tale of a murder investigation, the Cartel, and the conflicts that swirl around the border between the U. S. and Mexico. The characters are amazingly well defined in such a short book. The book draws on the history of the area and the tribal customs and beliefs. It is a book that is reminiscent of the style of Tony and Anne Hillerman's work, but has a distinct style of its own. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and hope that the author continues with these characters in future books. I ...more
Mary
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book. It's so nice to read an entirely different type of book. I enjoyed the characters and their outlook on a difficult problem. The book is well written and held my attention all the way through. I definitely recommend it.
Lee Carey
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn in immediately to Jennifer Leeper's 'The Poison of War'. The setting, plot, and characters were spot on. Leeper's talent shines in the realistic dialogues, perfectly-placed descriptions, and historical information. The conclusion was emotional and tight. As an author and avid reader, I recommend 'The Poison of War' as a memorable read. "Thank you, Jennifer. Keep writin'...and smilin'...."
Agnes
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.

The premise sounded intriguing, especially with the story being located in a Native American reservation. I was hoping to get not only a view into the border situation, with the smuggling taking place between Mexico and the US, but also some insight into the Native American tribes living there.

While the story managed to keep me interested enough to read till the end, I found the storytelling a bit disjointed, and I did not manage to relate
Suzi Kania
I received an advanced copy of The Poison of War.
It had some interesting stories to tell but none were the actual story I got to read. It is a short read so I kept with it.
The book opens with the crime scene of two murdered drug traffickers on the Tohono O’odham lands near the Mexican boarder.
What follows is a disjointed search for the killer. Some people are questioned each detective has his own pet suspect. Then there's a jolt and it's someone entirely different.
None of the characters were
Charles
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
An interesting story about the struggle between the cartel and the Native Americans near the border, as well as the difficulty of keeping in contact with family members who are not U.S. citizens under the current border restrictions. The book follows 2 detectives as they unravel the mystery surrounding 2 recent cartel deaths. While it is a short book, it still had complex characters and a plot with depth. (My wife won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway)

Gina R Mitchell
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
A vigilante justice novel set on an Indian reservation. The mystery was good but the pacing felt rushed. I think the plot and the characters deserved a full story not a novella.

A great beginning and wonderful ending. It just needs more story to get from point A to point B.
Thomas
Dec 21, 2019
chan
rated it it was ok
Nov 26, 2019

• Saving Worms After the Rain: A Central Pennsylvania Novel of History and Mystery
  • Red Dust (Comanche #1)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Death Set to Music
  • Eve of Ascension (The Fall of The Ascendancy, #1)
  • Léonard est un génie (Léonard, #1)
  • Wild Beauty: A Short Story
  • Expiry Date
  • Turbulence: A Short Story about Life and Death
  • Red Friction
  • Umbrella Man
  • A Thief in Time (A Thief in Time, #1)
“The two bodies lay in plain sight of the shuttered Salt Bingo Casino, though there are no witnesses other than a coyote and its jackrabbit prey. The two bodies lay still until the sun-cracked it is light over the Arizona desert like a sky egg.” 0 likes
“He had seen the same mixture of exhaustion and fight in Russell’s face. It was the poison of war spreading its sickness.” 0 likes