Start by marking “The Woman in Red” as Want to Read:
The Woman in Red

The Woman in Red

Destiny toys with us all, but Anita Garibaldi is a force to be reckoned with. Forced into marriage at a young age, Anita feels trapped in a union she does not want. But when she meets the leader of the Brazilian resistance, Giuseppe Garibaldi, in 1839, everything changes.

Swept into a passionate affair with the idolized mercenary, Anita's life is suddenly consumed by the pl
Published August 4th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

Start your review of The Woman in Red
Zoe
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, enlightening, and inspiring!

The Woman in Red is a compelling, adventurous interpretation of the life of Anna “Anita” Garibaldi, a strong-willed, Brazilian woman who after meeting the Italian revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi spent the next ten years of her life participating in and supporting his conquests for freedom and a unified Italy until her untimely death at the tender age of 27 from Malaria.

The prose is evocative and expressive. The characters are strong, passionate, determined,
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews

Brazil, gaucho country is where you find Anita Garibaldi. An amazing, adventurous saga of a life lead by a woman during the 19th-century revolution. Filled with history and characters rich in dialogue and prose, just an all-around fabulous read.
~Tanja

InstagramTwitterFacebookPinterest
Renae
Jul 30, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Stopped reading at 18%.

The writing is so, so, so terrible. It's narrated in first person, retrospectively, and it's all telling, with no showing. Basically: "In the year 1939, [event] was happening in Brazil. I spent my days doing [activity]. One day, my sister told me [some terrible thing]. I felt [sad/angry]. I didn't understand how women could be treated this way!"

Giovinazzo's prose is so stilted and childish; the narration is completely flat. The first 60 pages read like a recap of an actual
Sharon Huether
When Anita Garibaldi, a native of Brazil, met her husband to be; she knew right away he was the man for her.
Anita an expert horse woman, traveled with Giuseppe and his soldiers into battle. She felt her place in life was to serve her husband in this capacity. When they started a family she no longer fought beside him, but remained in camp.

They traveled to Uruguay, which many felt it was the new Italy, since so many Italians had moved there.
There were many times Anita got word from Giuseppe's sol
Cheryl S (book_boss_12)
"Priests love the whole world"...."Sometimes the world is no bigger than one person" pg 114
The Woman in Red is told through the eyes of Anita Garibaldi and is a fantastic historical romance novel. Until I read this book I had no idea she was a real person. Disowned by her family for "whoring" she followed the love of her life across continents.
I'm typically not into battle scenes but when your so connected and in love with the characters (and I loved them) these scenes take a whole new meaning.
Melissa_Reads_
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just Wow! This book has easily made it to the top of my favorites this year.

I absolutely recommend this fantastic, amazing, emotional, heart wrenching story.

There is not enough good things to say about this book.

I love the fact that it has a strong female role. And you get easily attached to the characters.
It’s also a nice to be able to read a historical fiction book every once in awhile that is not based during WWll.

Also as I was reading this book I felt like it gave off a Mulan and O
Stephanie Storey
I have an admitted obsession with Italian history, so I am embarrassed to admit that I knew shockingly little about the protagonist of this novel, revolutionary Anita Garibaldi (wife of Giuseppe Girabaldi, who helped unify the Italian peninsula). This brilliant debut novel by Diana Giovinazzo made learning about Anita both entertaining and enlightening. The chapters are short and quick (which I love), and at the end of each chapter, I ALWAYS wanted to read "just one more" (I had to stay up late ...more
Morgan
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Full of clichés. Gave up half way through. Heavy on romance, not so much on the historical. I may have enjoyed it more if I was even remotely familiar with the place(s) and the period.
Carol
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, owned
This was a Goodreads giveaway win so thanks to them and to Grand Central Publishing. Although it took a long time to get here, when it did arrive the book was the hardcover edition so that was a bonus. I've never been very good at history or geography but I do enjoy some historical fiction ... just don't quiz me on any dates ... and I enjoyed this story for the most part. It's a book to do with countries, people and history that I didn't know much about and it was a fairly easy read. I certainly ...more
Bob H
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a history-based romantic novel, the fictionalized story, told in first person, of a real-life and colorful figure, Anita Garibaldi. It's easy enough to tell her story as a romance: Brazilian girl of humble origins, married against her will at a young age to an oafish older man, running off, meeting Giuseppe (José) Garibaldi and falling in love with this heroic revolutionary. This story is more than that, however, as Anita is assertive, smart, adventurous, and insisting on being at his si ...more
Alyssa Palombo
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A meticulously researched, compellingly written story of a little-known historical heroine who should, in fact, be more well known. Anita Garibaldi fought for freedom and independence in Brazil, Uruguay, and Italy alongside her husband, the much-better known Giuseppe Garibaldi, and while she's an incredibly inspiring and fascinating real-life feminist figure, very few people know anything about her - I only knew the barest details before reading this book. Anita's vibrant voice and fighting spir ...more
Sharon
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an intriguing book, one that I found very easy to get into and not want to take a break from reading. There is so much history and social taboos in this book that I couldn’t help but be absorbed by it and had a need to keep turning those pages regardless of the time of night. A wonderfully written book that absorbs the reader into its pages.
Jennifer Landry
Reviewing books is an interesting thing. I went back and forth between 4 & 5 stars. I read recently that when reviewing a book, you should look at the author's intended plan and decide if they executed that. In this case, I think Diana did and for that she gets 5 stars.

I am a geography idiot. For all of my education and advanced degrees, if I had to find most of the places referenced in this book on a globe, I would fail miserably. I am also not what you would call a "history buff." So I will de
Terrie Robinson
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love historical fiction
Recommended to Terrie by: Goodreads
"The Woman in Red" by Diana Giovinazzo is a beautifully written historical novel about the 19th Century freedom fighter, Anita Garibaldi.

Anita Garibaldi was born Ana Maria de Jesus in 1821 in southern Brazil into a poor Portuguese family. Uneducated as a child, unable to read or write until adulthood, she proudly learned the love of riding horses by working under the guidance of her beloved father.

After the tragic death of Ana's father, her mother forces her, at age 14, to marry Manoel Duarte,
Karna Converse
A passionate story of love and revolution

As a young girl, Anna Maria de Jesus questioned authority and challenged the societal views toward women that were prevalent in nineteenth-century Santa Catarina, Brazil. Even though she accepted a forced marriage to the town drunk at age 14, she knew that love should be the reason for marriage and that respect should be the basis for love. Four years after marrying, she meets the leader of the Farrapos (a ragamuffin band of rebels who travel the world f
Auburn
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is downright scandalous and I love it. I usually don't go for adult historical fantasy romance but dang does this deliver.
Based on a true woman this delves into a woman forced into marriage. She falls for a revolutionary and takes up a cause. We travel the world, learn, and grow along with Anita.
This is truly a sweeping adventure of a story that will have you hooked until the last page.
OLT
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
If nothing else, this book has its value as a way to inform those who don't know about an extremely admirable woman of the 19th century. Ana Maria de Jesus Ribeiro da Silva was born in 1821 in Laguna, Brazil, gaucho country. She was a bit of a tomboy growing up, helping out with her father's work and becoming an excellent horsewoman. This would serve her well later on in her too-short life.

In 1839 she meets dazzling Italian revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi, who had been forced to flee Italy and
Dianne Alvine
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway and I am very happy that I did. This book depicts the story of someone I had never heard of-Anita Garibaldi. And it was quite an interesting life she had with Giuseppe Garibaldi, whose name I did know. My ancestry is Italian, so I recalled that my grandfather had told me that his father was a soldier in Garibaldi's army!
But I knew nothing of Garibaldi's life and that he spent years in Brazil as a leader in the Brazilian resistance!. And that is how he met the fiery
wellreadtraveler
Did you ever pick up a book and your not sure you'll then you read it and your over the moon excited you didn't listen to yourself? When I picked up The Woman in Red I was in love with the beautiful cover but I'd never read a book set in the 1800's so I was intimidated. I can tell you I was deeply addicted to the book right from the start! I had picked the book for my September book club and everyone was in love with the main characters Anita and Giuseppe Garibaldi and thankfully I wasn't the on ...more
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Being of Italian descent, I had heard the name Garibaldi as I was growing up, but I knew little of Italy's history of unification, and even less of Anita Garibaldi. Reading this book was enlightening and prompted me to do research on this formidable Brazilian woman who won the hearts of Italians by being the first wife and comrade-in-arms of revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi.

We meet Anita as a headstrong child who was close to her father and learned the life of a gaucho from him. She was a fearle
Ceylan (CeyGo)
Thank you @hbgcanada for #gifting me a copy of The Woman In Red

I was so excited to receive a copy of this novel. It is the story of Anita Garibaldi, a Brazilian revolutionary who is considered a hero in both Brazil and Italy. I definitely spent a lot of time on google and Wikipedia learning more about her while reading the novel. A fascinating woman indeed ! I also really enjoyed learning more about Brazilian, Uruguayan and Italian history. I’ve got more googling to do !

The book overall was qui
Crystal King
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A stunning novel about a woman whose impact spanned continents and countries. Anita began her life as a revolutionary when she met Giuseppi Garibaldi, who was then the leader of the Brazilian resistance. She would then follow him, not to the ends of the earth, but to Italy, his native land, where he paved the way for Italy's unification. It's a story of love and romance, family and friends, and town and country--and what one will do to protect those things at all costs. A brilliant debut, and I ...more
Brandi Rubin
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story captured my heart from page one. And I told Diana these exact words when we discussed her book the other night, at our book club meeting. I fell hopelessly in love with each of the charming characters that unraveled this beautifully epic historical fiction treasure. Upon discussion we discovered that most of the story (as in 95%) or more are actual facts based on the love letters and correspondannce of the real life people this book is wrapped around. Now if you are into historical fi ...more
Randy
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well crafted and beautifully written. An epic story of love, war, independence and freedom.
Tabitha
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about things I had never heard about. It sort of opens up the world to me. This book introduced me to a strong woman who refused to follow society's rules for her -- always a winning topic for me. I learned about the fight in the 1800s to liberate Southern Brazil from Portugal. And the book had an epic romance. This one is a winner. ...more
Ethel
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
When she was born it was said she was born in an unlucky month, under an unlucky moon. It was also said that Anita Garibaldi would have a hard life. Certainly, from the very beginning what was said was true.

Living in a small trading settlement in Brazil and going to a one-room schoolhouse, Anita couldn't settle down or conform to society's rules. After being thrown out of school for disobedience, her father, a gaucho, decided she would work with him as an apprentice. Working alongside with him,
Rachel
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Woman in Red by Diana Giovinazzo is an excellent historical fiction novel that follows along with the fascinating and adventurous life of Anita Garibaldi, the wife of the infamous 19th century revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi. Like her husband (were they married, weren't they it is up for debate but for the purpose of this review I will refer to her as such), she was a fascinating, adventurous, formidable person. Anita grew up in Southern Brazil and ending up meeting the Italian revolutionar ...more
momruncraft
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads
“My mother already knew I was unlucky. I wasn’t born a boy. My life could have been infinitely different if I had been.”

Anna was never interested in fitting in or following the rigid gender norms of the time. Expelled from school as a young girl for fighting, she joins her father in the fields as a gaucho. She picks up horseback riding quickly, learns to protect herself, and hones her strength and courage. Worried she would never marry, as most men were greatly intimidated, Anna’s mother signs h
Miriam
Did you know that Giuseppe Garibaldi was more than the unifier of modern Italy?

Diana Giovinazzo tells of the life, tempestuous love, and military campaigns of Garibaldi. Written primarily from his wife Anita's perspective, you'll learn about the struggles in South America, the sacrifices of the people, and their hard won success.

Giuseppe (Jose) and Anita shared a love that endured from their first meeting to the end of Garibaldi's life. He only had eyes for his tesoro mio, his treasure, Anita.
Courtney Halverson
3.5 stars This follows the story of Anita Garibaldi who was a Brazilian revolutionary during the 19th centurty. Unhappy in a marriage she was forced into, Anita decides to leave her husband and quickly falls in love with Giuseppe Garibaldi, the leader of the Brazilian resistance. She fights right alongside Giuseppe as they battle to free Brazil.

I had never heard of Anita before reading this so I really enjoyed learning about her and let me tell you she is one heck of a woman. What I loved about

• Loki Ascending (Viking Warriors, #3)
  • Rebound Boyfriend (Varsity Girlfriends #3)
  • War's Ending
  • Flawed
  • If I Were You
  • Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
  • Summer Darlings
  • Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3)
  • The Book Jumper
  • Smash It! (Smash It! #1)
  • Cowboy for Hire (Wishing River, #2)
  • The Best Man Problem (Mile High Happiness #2)
  • The Day We Met
  • The Chateau by the River
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • No Way Home: A Time Travel Novel of Adventure and Survival
  • Legacy (Legacy, #1)
Diana Giovinazzo is the co-creator of Wine, Women and Words, a weekly literary podcast featuring interviews with authors over a glass of wine. Diana is active within her local literary community as the vice president of the Los Angeles chapter of the Women’s National Book Association. The Woman in Red is her debut novel.

News & Interviews

You can’t stop watching. You have things to do, children to feed, even work you get paid for. But the screen…it’s holding you hostage....