Start by marking “No Simple Death” as Want to Read:
No Simple Death

No Simple Death

(Dublin Murder mysteries #1)

How can you find someone who doesn’t want to be found?

When Detective Garda Sergeant Mike West is called to investigate a murder in a Dublin graveyard, suspicion immediately falls on a local woman, Edel Johnson, whose husband disappeared some months before. But then she disappears.

Evidence leads West to a small village in Cornwall, but when he checks in to an Inn, he

Published December 4th 2019 by Bloodhound Books (first published June 16th 2014)

Start your review of No Simple Death
Alan Cotterell
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2019
Thanks to Bloodhound Books and Valerie Keogh for the ARC of this book in return for an honest opinion.
This was an intriguing tale of murder, lies, identity theft and other crimes, with some great characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. Along the way there are many of twists and turns, mystery and great chemistry between the main characters.
This was a new author for me, after reading a round a third of the book, I started to look at her other work. Before I had finished, I had
Ingrid
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story had a fast pace and never dwindled. I loved it.
The only thing I thought a little unconvincing was the character of the protagonist, but perhaps she was just unstable :)
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

Having read the latter part of the series, I now return to the beginning. With mixed emotions, I found it difficult to settle on a rating, given that I struggled to engage with the story at times. However, the background of protagonist Mike West is established, making him an even more likeable character.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I really liked this book when I started it, and had great hopes for the development of both the plot and the characters. Unfortunately this never happened.

The first 30% of the book was engaging, and then it just failed to go anywhere. The characters don't develop; we know no more about them by the end of the book than we did at the 30% mark.

The text was marked by errors like "crown gathering" instead of "crowd gathering"; "her hear racing" instead of "her heart racing", and it just goes on. One
Linda Strong
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Edel Johnson's husband has been missing for several months. Taking a walk to the small village for supplies, she finds a dead man outside her gate.

Detective Garda Sergeant Mike West is called to investigate. Edel states she has no idea of the man's identity. While West is putting her on his suspect list, she disappears.

West's suspicions grow exponentially when his team discovers evidence of blackmail and illegal drug involving Edel's missing husband. And then another man is murdered ...

Is Edel a
Linda Strong
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

Kelly Johnson's husband disappeared 3 months ago. She waits for his return ... eating, bathing, almost breathing is forgotten in her grief. On the one day she manages to leave the house. she discovers a dead man in the graveyard behind her home ... only this man has never been buried.

Garda Sergeant Mike West is called to investigate and finds a link from the dead man to Kelly's missing husband ... and then she goes missing.

Mike West is intense and detail oriented. Kelly started out as someone I
Janel
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope you’ve got room for one more crime series as this book is the perfect summer read, a solid mystery with some great characters. The themes don’t run too dark or sinister, this is more of a light-hearted read.

I enjoyed the mystery, it was well thought-out and came together nicely; I loved that Kelly kept disappearing, the first time she disappeared I was not her biggest fan, and I thought she wasn’t the most likeable character but as events unfolded I came around to her way of thinking. By
Melinda
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good attention to detail

Solid police procedural that doesn’t skip over the painstaking steps involved in solving a crime where there is no obvious suspects. Really great character development and intriguing plot.
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Shelves: 2019
No Simple Death is the first book in the Garda West series and is a great start to the franchise. It is full of mystery, suspense and shocking revelations with twists and turns aplenty to keep you on the edge of your seat. It is great whodunnit with a little bit of romance that keeps you guessing throughout and reading well into the night as you race to see how it is all going to unfold. If you love these things in a crime mystery then this is definitely the book for you!

Valerie has crafted a pl
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the beginning - what a book! It's a fabulous read that you won't want to put down! Edel Johnson is in a right state, bless her, and who wouldn't be?! Her husband, Simon, hasn't been seen since they were on a train on the way home from a shopping trip in Belfast. Imagine your husband going to get a coffee and then disappearing! On her way home from the shop one morning, she accidentally drops the padlock and chain to the Church gate which she uses as a shortcut - being a residen ...more
Alyson Read
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edel Johnson's husband Simon simply disappeared one day. One minute he was on a train fetching coffee, the next he had vanished without a trace. She has spent 3 months mourning his loss and falling further into despair. Her house in the Foxrock suburb of Dublin lies next door to a church and graveyard, and taking a shortcut through here one morning she finds a murdered man. Detective Garda Sergeant Mike West investigates the killing and wonders whether the woman being mixed up in two tragic even ...more
J. Kahele
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very intriguing thriller and there were quite a bit of twists that kept you on the edge of your seat. I loved the interaction between Kelly and Mike West, it was very cute and innocent. The one thing that kept me from giving this story five stars was Kelly's character at times seemed a little off and it took away from a lot of the depth I felt her character needed to pull this story off. Other than that, this was a great read.
Ellie Shepherd
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this first book in the series. The story takes you from Ireland to England on a journey, which keeps you gripped from the moment you pick it up. I was guessing throughout, where it would lead and left me holding my breath wanting more.
Lynda Kelly
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A new author to me. This one only fails to get the 5* because it is very, very baffling in places and I was getting confused, so really a 3.5* rounded up. I went back 'n' forth a LOT trying to make sense of things but had to pretty much give up in a couple of instances as I just couldn't make things "stick" to my satisfaction. I can't say too much here without posting spoilers so will leave it at that. Parts are just a nightmare to negotiate. Then trying to figure out who knew who or who had act ...more
Anne - Books of My Heart
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-read, 9kfree, tt, 2020, coyer
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

The purpose of Thrifty Thursday is to read a book which was free  (at some point).
Kindle freebie on April 18, 2020  (currently 99¢ and in Kindle Unlimited as of writing this post)

I'm always in the mood for a police procedural murder mystery, especially if they are in interesting settings.  Since I think most places ARE interesting that isn't too difficult a criteria.  No Simple Death is also in Kindle Unlimited and some of these ar
booklover BEV
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping book

Set in foxrock village Dublin,Kelly Johnson husband simon vanished three month's ago. Walking home from shopping through the graveyard she stumbled across a boxed body with a Sharp wound in the stomach. the garda is called and find a sheet of paper with a message"come to good" written,this message is also found in Kelly's coat pocket on the day simon disappeared so what's the connection? I got so engrossed in the book from the start, fast pace, so many twists, sergeant Mike west has
Laura Turner
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
All my reviews can be found on my blog: https://pageturnersnook.wordpress.com

I really enjoyed That One May Smile. It is a great thriller with a lot of twists and turns that kept me gripped and sitting on the edge. If you’ve got room in your suitcase for one more book this summer, please use that room for That One May Smile as it’s a great light hearted mystery to read by the pool!

The writing style of That One May Smile really makes the novel and if you’re a one for police procedures, then this n
whitesidereads
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Set in Ireland. A man goes missing while travelling home from a day out with his wife and so the journey begins. A dead body, a village in Cornwall, three wives and a clever story unfolds. I gave this 4 stars for a solid read. Valerie Keogh really pulled me into this book with the characters, so much so that I will be listening to the next in the series and reading her other books.
Stacy
Solid 4.5 stars

Edel Johnson’s life is slowly crumbling around her. Her husband Simon has been missing for over three months and with no answers from the local Garda she is left with no motivation to go on. A quick trip to the local store turns Edel’s life upside down after she discovers a dead man in the graveyard adjacent to her home. Detective Garda Sergeant Mike West is called to investigate and after speaking with Edel he finds himself left with more questions than answers. A series of stra
Britney
I received this book from booklover catlady in exchange for an honest review.

I was looking forward to reading this book as it takes place in Ireland. Valerie Keogh is a good writer. Some words threw me a bit since it takes place in another country but not enough to throw the book off.

This is the kind of book you read if you want to know police procedure when investigating a crime. It's walks you step by step on how investigating crimes go. I guessed what was going on early on but that's not unus
I am grateful to booklover catlady for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kelly Johnson's husband, Simon, disappeared 3 months ago and she has become a bit of a hermit since. One morning she leaves the house to go shopping and on her way home stumbles on a body. This body is later discovered to have her husband's identification on him.

The police are called and are launched into an investigation full of duplicity and intrigue.

I enjoyed this book on the whole but didn't feel lik
Ruth Matheson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
So what do you do when you find a body (not in a grave) in the graveyard next to your house? A body, that when identified, has the same name as your missing husband! Coincidence or not? The story revolves around Edel, who upon discovering all this, has to question the fact that did she really know who her husband was and moreover do the Garda believe her especially when there is another murder. From Dublin to Cornwall and back again, the reader is taken on a journey involving murder. ID theft an ...more
mois reads
Mike and edel

First time reading this authors books won't be the last time I really enjoyed it can't wait to read more definitely worth 5 stars .
Vikki Patis
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed Valerie's psychological thrillers and this novel, previously published under a different name, is just as gripping. Brilliant and fast paced, this is another triumph for Valerie Keogh.
Nicky Mottram
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
An ok read , but far fetched in places
Lexie Conyngham
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The first by this author for me, set in Dublin and Cork. From the start I found the characters intriguing and sympathetic, and the plot tantalising. There's a little quiet humour, just enough to keep everything ticking over - I really enjoyed this and hope to come back for more.
Ted Tayler
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Riveting read"

A well-written page-turner of a story. Full of great settings and relevant story lines. A good start to what may be a fascinating series.
Jim Ody
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘No Simple Death’ starts with a murder, and Detective Garda Sergeant Mike West is called to investigate. So just another police procedural, right? Wrong! This book takes us on a journey from Ireland to Cornwall and back again. It twists and turns, pulling you - like the characters - deeper into the plot.

Edel Johnson’s husband has disappeared, and we go through her worry pain with her, as she works with the police to try and find out where he is. And why a strange note he's left is found. One th
booklover BEV
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Set in foxrock village Dublin, Edel Johnson husband simon vanished three month's ago. Walking home from shopping through the graveyard she stumbled across a boxed body with a Sharp wound in the stomach. the garda is called and find a sheet of paper with a message"come to good" written,this message is also found in Edels coat pocket on the day simon disappeared so what's the connection? I got so engrossed in the book from the start, fast pace, so many twists, sergeant Mike west has a very difficu
Sandra
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First book i have read from this author and i loved it the setting and charactors blend so well together Edel alone following her husbands disappearance goes on her usual walk but is shocked to come across a body in the cemetry.Shocked she worries about her husband Simon where is he,whats he up to and is is he the man she thought he was A great book and well worth reading.5*
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • Murder at the Pony Show (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #4)
  • Crime In The Choir (Detective Markham Mystery #1)
  • The Kidney Donor (Slater & Norman Mystery #8)
  • Fatal Decision (The Freeman Files, #1)
  • Murder for Money (Inspector John Crow #4)
  • Murder Undeniable
  • Crime In The Convent (Detective Markham Mystery #3)
  • Murder in the valleys
  • Murder in the Dining Room (Melissa Craig, #11)
  • A Lover Too Many (Inspector John Crow, #1)
  • Fear on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #3)
  • RANDOM TARGETS (Detective Jeff Temple Book 3)
  • M for Murder
  • Snow Fallen
  • Error of Judgment (Inspector John Crow #2)
  • Murder at Benbury Brook (Melissa Craig #9)
  • A Dartmoor Murder (Inspector John Crow #8)
Valerie started to write several years ago. She self-published eight crime novels and one psychological thriller before signing a two book contract with Bookouture in March 2018. The first of these, Secrets Between Us, is available now and the second is due in Feb 2019. She is a registered nurse with a degree in English and a Masters in American Literature. Recently she has given up nursing to con ...more

Dublin Murder mysteries (6 books)
  • No Obvious Cause