Start by marking “Hometown Heartless” as Want to Read:

Hometown Heartless

One year ago, the boy next door was captured as a prisoner of war.

The boy whose window faces mine.
The backyard buddy who bandaged up my skinned knees.
The childhood crush that kept me up at night, wondering if he’d ever be my boyfriend.
The town hero I wrote endless letters to after he shipped out.
The green-eyed charmer who promised me a kiss the day I turned eighteen.

And
250 pages
Expected publication: January 23rd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Hometown Heartless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hometown Heartless

REVIEW TO COME

(view spoiler)
LianaReads blog
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some decisions will change your whole life for good. Not all of them have a great outcome.
That’s what happens when our hero decided to join the army and is discharged after being kidnapped in the war.
He’s back home but he’s definitely not the same. What is the same thought, are his feelings for the girl next door, his childhood friend that somehow became more than that. But as usual, it’s a long and angsty way to that happily ever after.
Same beautiful heartbreaking and heartwarming love story
Rhonda Ziglar
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 EMOTIONAL LOVE STARS!! Wow, what a beautiful emotional ride this was. My heartstrings were pulled from every direction with all the feels in this story. Everett and Kennedy's story will grab you from the beginning and hold on until the last words. This author's weaves a powerful emotional story in a beautiful light. This is one book you will want to read.
AnneMarie Davee
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader, it’s not easy to find a book that wraps me up as emotionally as this book did. Take a small town, a childhood crush, a boy who becomes a man in the Marines, a smart girl who is as kind as she is determined and a tragedy that is as heartbreaking as it life defining, and you have a story for the ages.

Everett and Kennedy went from childhood friends, to flirtatious teens, to pen pals, to wary advisories, to something more that becomes everything. Between their youthful promises
Cassidy (cassidyreads)
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carrie definitely knows how to make me cry my eyes out. This story was beautifully written as well as emotional. Everett and Kennedy are the couple you root for from the very beginning of the story. Kennedy is the smart, loving and extremely caring high school senior who has been waiting to share her love for the guy she's been in love with for forever. Everett has "returned from the dead", he has returned home as broken as ever, he has returned home as a completely new person. After dealing ...more
Shirley Cuypers
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta, ebooks, 2019
Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Carrie Aarons!

Hometown Heartless
is a standalone novel about Kennedy and Everett.

Carrie Aarons is one of the many amazing authors I’ve discovered in 2019 and so far I have loved every book she’s written. So it’s no surprise that I loved Hometown Heartless! Hometown Heartless is the first standalone I’ve read by Carrie Aarons and I really enjoyed reading it!

Kennedy is such a relatable character, I
Katie (Leave Me Alone I Am Reading)
When Carrie writes an angsty love story, she delivers with perfection.

This book ran me through the ringer and then some. I had feelings of doubt, anxiety, I shed tears, I swooned with Kennedy over a Everett and man did I ever get mad at him too!

Carrie was able to deliver a not so perfect love story with a second chance feel, rip it apart and stomp on my heart leaving me bleeding with dread in the floor, and then piece it back together with one simple line.

“Wait for me. I’m coming home for you.
Sarah Dale
Oh wow Carrie out did herself with this emotional read. She wrote this so beautifully, so raw and emotional. She did warn me that it would make us work for the HEA and she certainly did this. I honestly think this was one of my favourites of hers and that's saying a lot as I love her writing.

Everett and Kennedy are a couple that embed themselves in your heart from beginning to end. They have lived next door to each other and been on a cusp of their relationship progressing until Everett enlists
Athena
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Full review to come
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

Hometown heartless is not the first book I read by Carrie Aarons – but I think so far it is the best. I might not be able to go all the way with giving it “only” 4 out of 5 stars, but believe me when I say I have pretty high personal demands before I will give away this 5th Star

Checking my reading history with this author I have to say it is a 50/50 hit and miss – I’ve had everything from dislike to love – and that actually can speaks in favor of an author because it either means the writing is
Courtney
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Carrie has really upped her writing with this book.

Hometown Heartless is a standalone from Carrie Aarons and one that took me by surprise. I have read a fair amount of Carrie's books and this is first book that I have seen Carrie take on a topic that is riddled with so much emotion and depth to it.

Carrie has always been an author that I could depend on for a sweet romance with a bit of drama sprinkled in her stories. But none of her other books compare to this one. It's my first five-star book
Loredana
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heartless: adjective. displaying a complete lack of feeling or consideration.

That's the dictionary definition. But there's a difference between connotation (an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning) and denotation (the literal or primary meaning of a word, in contrast to the feelings or ideas that the word suggests). Getting technical? Um, yeah, but there's a reason. Everett Brock appears to be heartless in the denotative sense of the word, and he
Sunny Shelly Reads
Whoa. This book was all kinds of emotional. There is something so pure and sweet about Everett and Kennedy's love — despite the emotional and mental damage that he now has as a result of being a prisoner of war who'd been presumed dead. And despite how broken and battered emotionally and mentally he is, there is still that same bond between them that existed from the time they were little kids.

The push and pull between Everett and Kennedy is fantastic. It is gripping and completely captivated
Charlene
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing story from one of my fave authors...she never disappoints! This book is a thoughtful, thought provoking, angsty and emotional read. I definitely needed some breathers just to be able to handle what was coming next!

Everett and Kennedy grew up next door to each other and developed a teenage crush that never resulted in anything other than a friendship and a promise of a first kiss...then Everett left to join the military.

Two years later...
She’s a carefree senior in high school, a
FunUndertheCovers
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is so emotionally charged, I found myself having to take short breaks just to be able to handle what was coming next!

Two years later...
She’s a carefree senior in high school, a cheerleader and an overachiever who has her future all mapped out.
He’s been a prisoner of war,
Stacie R.
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From page one, this book sucked me in, and I couldn’t put it down until I finished. I read this book in one sitting that is how amazing it is.

Everett and Kennedy were neighbors who both harbored childhood crushes on each other. When he joined the military after high school the two exchanged letters, until he was captured by the enemy and held as a prisoner of war. Now he’s home, and the boy that Kennedy once knew is nowhere to be found. Everett has demons that are hard for anyone to understand.
Tania's Book Blog
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional beautiful love story. Everett and Kennedy grabbed my heart and still hasn’t let go. The emotions these two ho thru to finally get their HEA will pull you from the very beginning. Everett returns after being considered dead after being captured by the enemies while on deployment. Kennedy the girl next door that always had a crush on him but they never did anything because he was being deployed. When he returned he wasn’t the same person and Kennedy noticed but she still had her ...more
Emily Goodman
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Aaron's tells a tumultuous tale about a war stricken Marine returning to his hometown after a year held in captivity. Leaving his childhood friend and his forever girl behind, Everett Brock was determined to do be noble and fight for his country after graduating highschool. Although he left , Kennedy, the girl next door and unrealized love of his life behind in their hometown, their love only builds as time keeps them apart. Until life unexpectedly throws Everett a curve ball by choosing ...more
Johnaka- Amity Book Blog
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hometown Heartless by Carrie Aarons
“The one next door, 4 stars”

He was the boy next door; she was the girl next door. They always drifted towards each other. Where there was one there was the other. But the boy decided to serve his country while the girl finished school. The girl was there when the men in uniform knocked on his parent’s door. She never expected him to come back from the dead. Is he the same boy she fell in love with or is he a different man? Only one way to find out.
I genuinely
Kandace Denys
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘𝐻𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝒶𝒹𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝐼 𝒻𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑜𝓌, 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃’𝓉 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝓎𝑒𝓉 𝒾𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉’𝓈 𝒾𝓃𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝒶𝓇𝓀𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉.‘

This book gets a standing ovation. The romance inside is not to be missed, but it’s so much MORE!
It’s hope, when you don’t know if there’s any to be had, it’s redemption when you didn’t feel you were deserving, it’s finding that light shining on you when you’re lost in the dark.
It is EVERYTHING.

This was not a second chance romance, their first was stolen. This was not a tragedy, although it felt like it for
Ga Books LoverX
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a HUGE fan of Carrie Aarons and have pretty much devoured all of her books and while The Rogue Academy delighted me and I feel in love with the Nash Brothers, Hometown Heartless is hands down one of the best books I have read by her.

This book is so full of heart, sadness, betrayal, PAIN that you have no clue what is going to happen next and it breaks your heart a bit. Of course it wouldn't be easy when the easygoing boy next door you had a crush on was a POW for over a year and has now
Kari
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blown away! This book was a non stop read for me! I'm not sure what I expected from this book, besides greatness (obviously), but it was amazing!

Hometown Heartless follows Kennedy through her senior year of high school. Captain of the cheerleading squad, taking Advanced Placement courses, applying to colleges, and knowing that the boy next door has come home.

Everett left to serve his country right out of high school. After a mission goes bad and he is a prisoner of war, he escapes and is brought
Melissa Gloria -  Meli’s Books and Coffee
Get your tissues ready because this book is a tearjerker and I loved every minute of it! Everette, I just want to hug him and not let him go. Everette was the popular boy, quarterback for the football, the all American kid who was going to go far. When he decides he's going to join the Marines and fight for his country he was expecting what he saw. Kennedy grew up next door to Everette ever since she was a little girl. Even though he was older than her she knew he was the one. When he left to ...more
Kim
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s a bit of a challenge to write this review as the military background hits so close to home. Everett and Kennedy are best friends with a flirty relationship in high school and then he leaves for the Marines. Their relationship continues in letters until he is captured as a prisoner of war. Once he is rescued, he comes home a very different man.

Kennedy is such a strong female character for being a senior in high school. She has a plan in place to succeed as a nurse which includes a job as an
Donna Smith
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my heart! I was torn apart then put back together then torn apart again. Everett and Kennedy are the boy and girl next door. His life decision to join the service changes everything. When he comes home, nothing is ever the same. Their relationship is complicated to say the least but things happen for a reason. Carrie Aarons does a superb job of making you root for her characters. These two were so different. Everett is so young to have been through so much and is now lost with a purpose. ...more
Sue Paulsen
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW…just WOW! Hometown Heartless is simply an amazing story! I am honestly having a hard time finding the words to say how much I loved this it. Hometown Heartless takes you on a raw, emotional journey of love, heartbreak, PTSD struggles and so many other feelings. This story truly grabbed my heart from the very beginning and never let go. I love Everett and Kennedy together and found myself silently pleading that they would find their way through the ugly murk to each other.

Carrie Aarons is an
michelle Shelly
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My heart! My heart!

This is the prime example of why I love this author. Hometown Heartless is a wonderful, beautiful and emotional book that had me from the first page until the very last.
These characters Everette and Kennedy both pulled on my heart strings and wouldn’t let go. But just as much as I was sad, I was just as mad. Mad at the way Everette was treated, mad at how he seemed to give up and mad about how he treated Kennedy.
These two are definitely made for each other and I love the
Sharon
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Carrie blew my mind with this story! I loved every part of this one! 5 stars for this one!
Everett, boy next door, went off to war, was captured, and once released and returned home, he was not the same.
Kennedy, girl next door, wrote everyday to him, until they thought he had died. When he returns home, she's hoping they can pick up where they left off, but he's changed, and she wondering if he will ever be the same Everett she loves.
This was an emotional story, I could not put it down,
Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase
High school crushes do not always end in heartbreak, but when Everett Brock is assumed dead Kennedy's hopes and dreams are shattered. When he is found alive after being a prisoner of war, he returns home broken and not the same person that left. Can the two reunite and fix each others broken pieces? Can the letters that they wrote to each other while he was overseas be the catalyst to a new beginning or will they only be a memory of what was supposed to be? Completely heart wrenching and at ...more
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hometown Heartless is a thought provoking, angsty and emotional read. It takes you on a raw, emotional journey of love, heartbreak, PTSD struggles and so many other emotions.

This story truly grabbed me from the very beginning and never let go. I love Everett and Kennedy together and found myself silently pleading that they would find their way back to each other. The push and pull between them is gripping and alternates between being heartbreaking and beautiful. Their story completely captivated

• Come Back for Me (Arrowood Brothers, #1)
  • Manhattan (Becker Bothers, #3)
  • The Lineup
  • Wild In The Windy City: The Anthology Volume 3
  • Tequila
  • Chase the Butterflies
  • Gilded Lily (Bennet Brothers, #2)
  • Seducing Mrs. Robinson (A Bro Code Standalone)
  • Billionaire Bosshole (Bedding the Billionaire #3)
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Bossman
  • Holiday Ever After
  • Kiss Me With Lies (Twin Lies, #1)
  • The Trouble with Gravity
  • The Harder You Fall (Rixon Raiders, #3)
  • Stolen Lies (Truths and Lies, #2)
  • Hidden Truths (Truths and Lies, #1)
  • Sugar Plum
Author of romance novels such as The Tenth Girl and Privileged, Carrie Aarons writes books that are just as swoon-worthy as they are sarcastic. A former journalist, she prefers the love stories of her imagination, and the athleisure dress code, much better.

When she isn't writing, Carrie is busy binging reality TV, having a love/hate relationship with cardio, and trying not to burn dinner. She’s a