Start by marking “What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?” as Want to Read:
What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?

What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
What would you do if something wanted to eat you? Walk on water? Stick out your tongue? Play dead? Animals in the wild use all kinds of methods to protect themselves from their enemies. Using dynamic and intricate cut-paper collages, Steve Jenkins explores the many fascinating and unique defense mechanisms creatures use to escape from danger.
Published September 24th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?

Jasmyn
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elm-572
Steve Jenkins details the many interesting and unique defense mechanisms animals use to escape from danger in this nonfiction/informational picture book. The cut out paper collages as the illustrations are interesting and beautifully done. It was one of the first things that caught my eye about the book.

In having a literacy rich classroom it is important for children to see their own work so that they can see themselves as authors as well. In my second grade classroom after reading this book I
Denise
Nov 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: informatinal
1. Not applicable
2. Pre K-2nd
3. It shows and tells what certain animals and insects do when they are in danger. Since animals and insects are always avoiding getting eaten by each others, they all have certain capabilities in order to startle or avoid getting eaten by their predators.
4.What makes this book really great is that it contains lots of visuals and the writing is easy to follow. It is easy for children to understand and it holds lots of information for students to absorb. It is an ide
Jill
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
I enjoyed this book, both for it's informational text and for the neat pictures. The pictures used are not photographs, but other mediums that don't distract from the lesson we are to learn.

Animals are oftentimes in danger of being eaten. This book tells short facts about what many animals and insects do to resist their attackers. For example, the basilisk lizard is from South America and runs across the surface of ponds or streams at great speed to escape its attacker.
Nicole
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the predator prey interactions without too much details. It's great for early learners to see these scientific principles. I love the artwork!
Shari
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The food chain has never been so much fun! Jenkins shares the various ways that prey eludes predators. Nonfiction picture books at its best.
Amy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _rylee
I learned about some new animals
Ann M. Noser
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, childrens
Interesting tour of animals and insects avoiding being prey. My daughter read it to me, and her favorite creature was the puffer fish. Her second favorite was the octopus.
Katherine
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
In What Do You Do When Something Wants to Eat You, Steve Jenkins reveals the hidden defense mechanisms of some of nature’s most intriguing and resourceful creatures. As Jenkins asserts, “Most animals face the constant danger of being eaten by other animals. This book shows a few of the ways that they try to avoid this fate.” Each page shows an animal being tracked by a predator. Animals are identified in sentences that end in ellipses, leaving the reader hanging until the page is turned. After f ...more
Eva Kelly
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, THIS is a BIG question, especially for someone like me who’s little and likes bears. Because you know if I ran into a bear and he was hungry, I might be history!
But this one isn’t about girls. It’s about animals. And what these guys all do when something wants to EAT them. And a lot of times, what these guys do is they make themselves look like something else, or they fly away or they run real fast.
But there’s one snake who’s really a lizard that breaks himself up into little pieces! Now T
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=2903

Steve Jenkins just has a way of making nonfiction more interesting than other authors, and this book is no different than his others. This book takes different animals and shows the different ways they protect themselves: from squirting ink to camouflage. The illustrations are done in Steve Jenkins’s paper-cut style and are done as well as his other books. The text, though simple, is full of information and definitely makes the reader want
Deborah
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In Robb's book, Teaching Nonfiction Writing, there is a quote from David Quammen about good nonfiction finding the intersection between what's interesting and what's important. This book is a good example of that. It tells what animals do to protect themselves, but it finds the most interesting protective responses found in nature. Then the author explains them in two ways that I think are effective: first he sets up the beginning of the sentence with the animal and the potential threat. . . but ...more
Krista Vogt
This was a great picture book that tells about different wild animals and what different defense techniques they use to defend from the predators that try to eat them. The book shows through pictures predators that creep up on their prey and then the text describes what the prey does to defend themselves. Jenkins does a wonderful job showing and explaining the various wild animals.
This picture book is a great book for students to learn more about the various wild animals and their predator. The
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every week I try to find a favorite children's author, and grab whatever picture books are available. Just to keep my hand in, and to see what new work the author has done since I stopped reading picture books aloud. This week it was Jenkins, whose art is so compelling.

***

I really love Jenkin's art, which is only funny because I don't care for Carle at all. Anyway, fun book of factoids of defensive methods of the animal world. Good choice for a kid who likes nonfiction.

Library copy.
Linda
This book from Steve Jenkins is alive with examples of animal response to danger, some camouflage, but many actions too. The illustrations are created in Jenkins’ usual collages, and the information is both informative and inviting. When reading, I immediately wanted to know more! One example: A hover fly protects itself from predator by mimicking a wasp which birds don’t like to eat. It’s a good beginner’s book is animal survival, adaptation.
Cindi
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Love it! With each animal example, you are introduced to the animal on one page and then must turn the page to see what that animal does in defense or offense. It was fun to read with the kids because I could ask them if they knew what that particular animal did. Sometimes they knew and sometimes not. As always, some really amazing facts from Steve Jenkins, represented by his excellent art work!
Cemeread
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The title pretty much says it with this book. One page shows the animals giving it's name and a few words more and the next how it escapes. Most of the animals have unusual ways of escaping predators which makes this one especially fun. image the ooh and cool exclamations from the audience. The illustrations are the typical wonderful color filled paper collages Steve Jenkins ahs made famous.

preschool and up
Katie Voss
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful way to introduce animals to kids, especially since it's non-fiction. It's the perfect length for small kids, with just the right amount of surprise for each animal. I also love that it uses some non-traditional animals like the pangolin, and even names the specific types of snake, fly, etc. The illustrations were lively and engaging, and the kids absolutely loved the book. (They also loved acting out the animals afterwards, of course!)
Jodi
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Steve Jenkins' artwork, and the subject matter is always interesting and educational as well. This one wasn't as good as some of his others -- I missed the descriptions of the animals he usually includes in the last pages, and I thought the glass snake losing his tail was actually a bit disturbing. But there were also some fascinating tidbits: the pangolin can roll itself into an armor-plated ball to protect itself, and the flying fish can glide as far as a thousand feet!
Karen
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-bjhs, with-hugh
Steven Jenkins hasn't failed us yet. A non-fiction book has definitely done it's job when the reader wants to explore the topic more, which is exactly what happened here- when he finished, Hugh wanted to find out more about the bombardier beetle and the "Jesus Christ" lizard. Love it when a book sparks a kid's curiosity.
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great non-fiction book by Steve Jenkins. Rates right up there with What Do You Do With a Tail Like That, this book shares great facts about what animals do when they are in danger. I did miss the wonderful facts about the animals mentioned that the author usually puts in the back of the book, though.
Jessica Lowery
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each page of this vivid book shows a predator species and a prey species; each page highlights a defense mechanism in the prey and teaches readers how animals adapt to survive. Jenkins uses an illustration technique that looks like cut paper scrap collage; I think it’s really effective. The colors are bold and the contrast is very strong.
Paul
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Well-constructed narrative line that illustrates the defensive capacities of selected animals. The illustrations, made entirely of collage, are creative, striking, and optimally use each page's landscape.
Sue Pak
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this is a cute book.
This book shows paper collage illustrations so it's appealing to the eyes.
I would use this book to have a lesson on survival/extinction.

This could also be used to branch out onto food webs/food chains.
Grades 1-3.
Ruben Salamanca
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
This book can teach a lot to kids about how other creatures avoid being eaten. There are many interesting ways and i like that each way is different the last. I also thought the art style was fitting for the book.
Krystal
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Linc liked this one, but it was a little over his head. I think it could have been better if they'd chosed to use photographs instead of illistrations, and also showed a before and after picture. Still good and informative though. But I do think Linc will like it better in a few years.
Susan
Like all of Steve Jenkins' books, his illustrations and ability to choose obscure and interesting animals really engage readers. A great book to talk about animal adaptations, camouflage, and the food chain. The book ends with the question: what would you do if something wanted to eat you?
Michele Knott
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Steve Jenkins does not go wrong. I love the simple pattern of the animal and illustration on one side and the way the animal avoids its predator on the other side. Love the last page, Jenkins poses the question "What would you do if something wanted to eat you?"
Megan
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to use when talking about predators and prey. It has lots of different and interesting animals and teaches us about the defenses they use against predators. It is well written with great vocab words and illustrations!
Naomi
Nov 16, 2011 added it
Shelves: animals, science
An interesting book on preditors and prey in the animal kingdom. It shows how the animals defend themselves. This would be a good starting point to learn more about these animals.
Sydney
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Wonderful text to compliment a lesson on the food chain or animal adaptations. Could be a little long for younger students but beneficial for so much information.
  • An Egg Is Quiet
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea
  • Mysterious Patterns: Finding Fractals in Nature
Librarian's Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
More about Steve Jenkins

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99