Start by marking “Don't Go Without Me” as Want to Read:
Don't Go Without Me

Don't Go Without Me

ShortBox is proud to present 'Don't Go Without Me' a triptych collection of comic stories from rising superstar cartoonist Rosemary Valero-O'Connell.

'Don't Go Without Me' contains 3 individual stories: the titular 'Don't Go Without Me,' 'What Is Left,' and 'Con Temor, Con Ternura' (With Fear, With Tenderness).

'Don't Go Without Me': Two lovers sneak out for a night out on
Published 2020 by ShortBox

Start your review of Don't Go Without Me
Chelsea
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I can only type in emojis for this review, but I’ll refrain. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous and haunting. This goes for the artwork as well as the short tales within. I was reminded of “Spirited Away”, Jeff Vandermeer’s “Annihilation”, “The Labyrinth”, and let’s say “Black Mirror” as well. Three lusciously written stories about different fantastical, introspective, and dream-like events. 💖
Miruna Caragheorgheopol
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One brilliant Saturday, I went to pick up a package from the post office. I read the contents of said package in about one hour, just staring at the wonderful images and taking in the moody, tasty, lovely stories. I had wanted to read one of those three stories ("What is Left") for a long time, and I was impatient for the other two as well. And then...

I loved this book so much I almost can't find suitable adjectives to express my glee. So let's try: each of those stories is a wonderful jewel, po
Janine
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Swirly, ethereal artwork in three moving stories about the power of memory and relationships.

I enjoyed this, and there were some incredibly powerful moments. I liked that the three stories were very different, with similar thematic threads. I think this is the first time I've really experienced the graphic novel equivalent of a short story collection, and it was done well.
Jim
Wow.

The writing is art. The art is poetry.

The first story was so beautiful it gave me chills.

This book is about so many things.

But what I think it is mostly about -

Is

living.

And it gets better every time you read it.

I know I’ll be looking for more from Rosemary Valero-O’Connell.
ferret_reads
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More like 4.5/5 stars.

Consisting of three short stories, Don’t Go Without Me is going to struggle to be absolutely perfect when there are several narratives to deal with.

PROS:
🍊 The first two stories are genuinely engaging, focusing on relatively complex female protagonists.
🍊 The art is, of course, absolutely stunning

CONS:
🍋 In my complete, and honest, opinion, the last story is really... nothing. It’s an illustrated poem written by O’Connell, but (perhaps going over my head) only one basic th
Cy
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq, fantasy
what, this?? oh, just one of the best comics i've ever read, nbd!!
Sarah Schanze
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I initially thought this was all one story, but it's actually three short ones, but each is equally impactful. The last one in particular feels timely and made me tear up, yanking emotions to the surface I didn't expect it to grab.
Clarissa
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read my full review at FANBASE PRESS.

Review Excerpt: "Across all three stories, we find overarching themes of intimacy, memory, and loss. The tone is suitably romantic and melancholy. We find ourselves wanting to linger in places that are both profoundly sad and beautiful. Valero-O’Connell has succeeded in creating utterly new worlds inhabited with strange, new creatures and technologies, yet the reader is able to always find familiar ideas and emotions to center themselves. All three tales end
skye
reading this collection of comics was a breathtaking experience.

these are three short, perfectly-realised meditations on the themes of love, memory, and the existential meaning of being alive, and i was so floored by the lyrical writing and the flow of this book. it was… so full of yearning. the stories felt like fairytales, dreams—all captured in the author’s immaculately detailed art & framing. i know this description is kind of abstract and doesn’t really say a lot about what’s in the book b
Aaron
Valero-O'Connell is the artist with the most recognizably dynamic style as a limited-run contributor to the widely distributed western comic Lumberjanes. Rounded character models with cunning smiles, vibrant eyes, and hair so lively it's damn near prehensile . . . Valero-O'Connell's art bends and curves with every curious breath.

But DON'T GO WITHOUT ME isn't about good art, it's about identifying the melody of heartbreak and the timelessness (or perhaps timeliness) of a tender voice in the dark
Yakult Boy
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Hoo boy do I have a lot of mixed feelings.

My overall feelings is that O'Connell's work is a hit and miss situation. She's not the most balanced artist or storyteller, which makes it feel like her stories never hit as hard as they should. Credit where credit is due, I personally think O'Connell's work is stronger in short stories, but even then it's not great. Art wise, I see her familiar clutter through her signature space, plants and monsters but after reading Laura Dean I can't help but notice
Emma
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
Don't Go Without Me (2020) by Rosemary Valero-O'Connell is a triptych collection of three comic stories.

In "Don't Go Without Me" there is a rumor that when you stand in a certain place at a certain time, you can be transported to a different realm--one that exists next to ours in secret. When two lovers cross over, they find themselves separated and forced to barter stories in exchange for clues that might bring them back to each other. But when every trade costs something, how much do either of
Rahel
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I, like probably many others, backed this book's kickstarter right after reading Rosemary Valero-O'Connell and Mariko Tamaki's wonderful Laura Dean Keeps Breaking up with me. After receiving my copy of the book, I had a hard time truly immersing myself into the stories - something I found odd, considering the fact that these are three short stories with plots that definitely cater to my interests. Still, even after re-reading this a second time, I have to be honest: I can't warm up to the writin ...more
Emily
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don’t Go Without Me - 4 stars
What Is Left - 5 stars
Con Temor, Con Ternura - 4 stars

A beautifully illustrated collection of three different stories about primarily connection and love, framed through different genres. They’re all bittersweet and very moving. I found the second one impacted me the most and I got a bit teary while reading because loss and memories all wrapped up in sci-fi is a niche that hits me hard. The first and second are also very unique stories and the way the panels are done
Mollie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5? Got this through the Kickstarter on a whim, and while I really enjoy Rosemary's environmental design and general aesthetic (not to downplay that, the book is gorgeous, and I'm particularly fond of her paneling-- excellent stuff), I wasn't hit very hard by any of the stories. I liked them all fine, but I guess I didn't really feel connected to the characters. I'm gonna give this another go, though, maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace?!
Vehka
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Oh! I loved "Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me" and I've been wanting to read this one since I finished it, and honestly - "Don't Go Without Me" was even better. I loved all the three stories. The first one was ominous and scary, but very beautiful. The second one was heartbreaking and the third one was just the perfect finish for this collection. The art style is gorgeous and the stories are well told, and I'll definitely treasure this little comic book for years to come.
Elou (from-b612)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An ethereal, subtil, absolutely stunning comic. I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone asking for my opinion. Everything is magnificently crafted and, while nostalgic and doomed in all the right ways, it never becomes a tragic, hopeless despair. You will cry (that's a promise), but never suffocate. This is everything I have ever wanted a comic book to be.
Elena Varg
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, owned
This art and these colors are so incredible! I hadn’t known about Valero-O’Connell before ’Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up With Me’ and I’m so happy everyone in my circles kept talking about it so I got to be familiar with Valero-O’Connell’s other work! When this graphic novel was announced as a Kickstarter, I backed immediately and it didn’t disappoint!
Juliette Hut
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know why, but don’t go without me is like nostalgia wrapped in a life i haven’t lived yet. I cried for the loss of a person I don’t know, I long for a lost romance i haven’t lived yet. The drawings bring emotion, every page is an art piece fit for a museum. I’m in awe, honestly in awe.
Celia
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to reread this collection every moment my eyes are open - I want it read to me as I fall asleep. I absolutely adore Valero-O'Connell's illustrations, her lettering is so evocative of the worlds she's creating.
Jared
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored this comic. Three stories of heartbreak and memory, told with swirling lines and soft colors and whimsical winding word balloons. There's so much talent and heart in these pages. This is an old soul, pressed into a book.
Jenny Dickson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
So beautiful! I love how detailed the art is. I like that the characters all have distinct faces and body types. I especially like the different colour palettes for the different stories.
ᴠᴀʟ
Jan 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
YES. I WANT IT. GIVE IT TO ME.
Kelley
Beautiful and perfect
Jesse Lång
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Lovely art and deep, philosophical storytelling in an easy to digest presentation. I found myself spending a long time on each page just to appreciate the art and flow.
Nell
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This was beautiful.
Will
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely short story comics with absolutely stunning art.
Etola
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, weird, insightful, painful, poetic, lovely.
Nicole
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Her art and writing style are perfection. Every panel could be a print
Wren
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wlw
I will never get enough of this art style, get it in my eyes now and always!
Don’t go without me was definitely my favourite story of the three but holy heck the art the stories; beautiful.

• Beneath the Dead Oak Tree
  • Are You Listening?
  • Isola, Vol. 2
  • Séance Tea Party
  • Snapdragon
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Snotgirl, Vol. 3: Is This Real Life?
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
Rosemary Valero-O'Connell is a Minneapolis born, Zaragoza raised cartoonist and illustrator with a BFA in Comic Art from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design ('16)

She's done work for DC Comics (Gotham Academy, Vertigo Quarterly), BOOM! Studios (Lumberjanes, Steven Universe), CAPY games (OK KO!: Let's Be Heroes), Mondo Tees, Kazoo Magazine, and The City Pages, among others. Her work has been s