Start by marking “What Are Friends For?” as Want to Read:
What Are Friends For?

What Are Friends For?

FALLING IN LOVE ISN'T COMPLICATED...UNLESS IT'S WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND.

She thinks she’s kissing Jeremy, the totally hot basketball player she’s been crushing on. And the kiss…it’s amazing.

Kindle Edition
Published January 14th 2020 by Golden Crown Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about What Are Friends For?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Are Friends For?

Start your review of What Are Friends For?
Torie Jean
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC for this book in exchange for an honest review.

What Are Friends For? By Sarah Sutton is a refreshing, upbeat, best-friends-to lovers YA Contemporary Romance that really did have me crushing hard; on the author, and her use of prose, description and solid dialogue; on the characters with fresh-to-YA nuances, and the parents who—HALLELUJAH ARE ALIVE AND USEFUL!

I instantly connected with the less-than-graceful Remi and her voice which is used to narrate the story. I found myself
L.L. Lily
The moment I "ugly cried" I already knew its a 5/5

I often talk about this in books I review: If a book can make me cry and feel a certain way EVEN BEFORE the story has ended its already a 5 out of 5 star rating for me. It means I'm emotionally invested in the characters and stories and the story touched my soul where not a lot of "powerhouse" or "well known authors" could. This is the first book (I believe) that kept me crying throughout I swore I must have ended up dehydrated. I'd type a long
Kim
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, 2020
This was such a lovely read. I fell in love with Remi and Elijah almost instantly and couldn’t help but want to know more about them and watch their relationship grow. When I read YA (which I absolutely love) I find that I always have some deep issues with the main characters (that’s my old age showing) but not this time. I absolutely loved every page of this book, I could have enjoyed at least another hundred pages.
Shelby Loren Scott
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was sent an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Remi and Elijah have been best friends since grade school--absolutely inseparable. One kissing mishap at her crush's party, check! This kiss changes Remi's whole perception of her best friend, sending her down a path of secret pining. She wants him, but doesn't want to lose him if the truth about their kiss comes to light.

Right away, the very first chapter sucked me in immediately. I was already connecting with the characters and
TMR
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 17+
Note: I received an ARC generously from the author in exchange for an honest review.

So to summarize y'all, it's basically a closet game gone wrong. But the good kind of wrong.

The cover - Is quirky and hints at the what story may be.

The summary - A close, easygoing friendship can all change with just one kiss. Seventeen-year-old Remi Beaufort learns this the hard way when she plays a blindfolded kissing game at a party.

She thinks she's kissing Jeremy, the totally hot basketball player she's
G M Rinderle
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of What Are Friends For? in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fun, lighthearted read. Remi's inner struggles remind me so much of that time in my life. The author does a great job of giving each character a unique voice, and she balances conflict perfectly.
Halfway into the novel, I had to choose between reading this and working on an editing project. In honor of Remi, I put off my own project to finish this charming tale. It was definitely worth it.
If you're looking
Emma
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of What Are Friends For? in exchange for an honest review.

And honestly? I loved it. I couldn't put this book down from the moment I started it. I dreamed about it at night and woke up excited to continue reading. I fell for every character in the story; I connected with them, felt their pain and happiness, and struggled when they struggled. I'm left wanting to read more and can't wait for the next book to come out.

Sarah Sutton does an amazing job weaving a story. The plot is
Arceli
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t wait for this book to be released
Cassie Kelley
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, romance
I was given an ARC for this book in exchange for an honest review.

Remi and Elijah have been best friends for years. Remi couldn’t imagine falling in love with him, but one accidental kiss changes her entire perspective. In this romantic YA novel, follow Remi as she struggles to come to terms with new feelings and thoughts about her old friend.

Sarah Sutton brings these characters to life with stirring words and excellent prose. The emotions fly off the page and sink deep into your heart, and
Jenn
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant YA debut. I had a hard time assigning a numbered star value to this book. So much of it was absolutely brilliant—I still feel that way. If you’re looking for a fun and engaging read, definitely check it out. WAFF is such a light and buoyant book. It’s a delicious feel good rom com.

I received a copy through a social media giveaway. I’ve been wanting to read this book for awhile and I was pleasantly surprised and definitely not let down. Sarah is a brilliant writer and I only
 CCAM&GZM
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You, those who don’t read YA or plan to read only one this year, read What Are the Friends For? You, those within range of YA, please, read it! It is not only very possible but also very probable that all of you will like or even love it. And learn from it.

Don’t worry if you think that the blurb gives you a pretty whole image of what is to come. The author knew how to keep things interesting and the reader involved.

The events flow easily one from another whilst different courses are possible.
Lynelle Barrett
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost immediately when I started reading, I thought how FUN it was. It brought back memories of my own teenage years, which were full of snark and good-natured jokes. Remi and Elijah are both very likable, very relateable high school seniors, and you're immediately drawn into their snappy banter and familiarity with one another. That same familiarity is felt in the setting itself, which brings about a nice, cozy feeling despite the book taking place during the winter. I also found the wintry ...more
Pixie Perkins
So, this is the second book I’ve read that immediately screamed: “I COULD BE A TEEN ROMANCE MOVIE!!!” and I had a veryyyyy hard time tearing myself away from reading it.

Best-friends-to-lovers isn’t my ultimate favorite romance trope; but when it’s done right, I actually enjoy it a lot. Which is exactly what happened with Remi and Elijah’s story.

The feels were there. The details were there. The angst was definitelyyyyy there. And even though the main focus was Remi and Elijah’s relationship, I
Lynda Dickson
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 14+
Shelves: young-adult
Remi and Elijah have been best friends since third grade. But an accidental kiss in the dark changes everything. As Remi says, “This should’ve been funny. Accidentally kissing my best friend? That was hilarious. Except that it was singlehandedly the best kiss I’d ever had.” She isn’t even that excited when her crush Jeremy finally asks her out on a date. While Remi struggles with her feelings, Eli seems oblivious, but his girlfriend Savannah is acting jealous. When the truth comes out, will it ...more
Alicja
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘What Are Friends For?’ is a great debut, from the easy-flowing narration to well-described character interactions and relations. It’s cute, light-hearted and fun; just the way it should be.

YA contemporary romances have often use overdone tropes and devices, and I was glad to see more focus on the friendship between Rami and Elijah in this book than just on the underlying romantic feeling between both characters. While the feelings had played great importance in the storyline, the friendship
Sophia B
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this read! I don't remember ever using the word "adore" to describe how I felt about a book, but there's simply no other way to describe it... This novel is about Remi, a 17 year old girl and her best friend Eli. At her crush Jeremy's party, she was pushed into playing "lip locker," where she is led blindfolded to a closet where her blindfolded guy awaits for a kiss. They had everything set up for it to be Jeremy, and the kiss was the best kiss of her life. Except, it wasn't ...more
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
4.5 cranky Stars

This book although predictable was told very well. I really enjoyed reading it.

Best friends for ever Elijah and Remi they were inseparable until an accidental kiss neither knew it was the other one.

This turned the friendship upside down as Remi had seen it was him as she ran out the locker at a party being held by her then boyfriend Jeremy she had lusted after him for so long but there were no sparks or butterflies.

Elijah had a girlfriend Savannah and there had been no jealousy
Brandann Hill-Mann
What an adorable debut!

Sutton has crafted a fun romance story with a complex MC that plays with a long-favorite trope of mine. A great friends-to-lovers story is seldom a miss for me, and this one hit many spots I was not expecting, which only added to my delightful experience.

Remi starts out, and at times remains, not the most likable person in truly authentic ways. She has that self-centeredness of the cusp of adulthood which is awkward and frustrating for teens going into that transitional
Hannah Herrera
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was magnificent from start to finish. I haven't read romance novels for the longest time because they are usually cheesy or idolize toxic relationships but Sarah's book was different than most I have come across. I was hooked immediately from the first page of the first chapter. The entire story made me laugh, cry, and feel. All the characters were well thought out and their quirks were very endearing. I felt as if I was front row watching their stories unfold in front of me.

Sarah is
S.M. Downey
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun, easy read (finished it in a couple sittings) and the writing was well done. Remi’s voice is great and easy to spend hours with. The internal dialogue was phenomenal and I enjoyed the character interactions as well. There were quite a few descriptions that were so good, I read them a couple times (good writing does that to me). I also found the pacing just right. The only issues I had (and it’s so small) was understanding the timeline. She is nearing the ...more
Stacy Hawks
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What Are Friends For? is a fresh, smart young adult story about what it's like to fall for your best friend. Sometime a relationship with a BFF works out, sometimes it doesn't. But it's the before we confess those feelings that author Sarah Sutton touches on so well. The epic struggle between our heads and our hearts is captured during what should be the highlight of Remi's life, her senior year. This story embodies the various emotions that are completely relatable from the character straight ...more
Thamy
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon reading the summary, I just had to gt my hands on this book! And yet, I didn't expect to enjoy it this much.

The plot goes as you can predict, the main characters have been best friends for a long time to the point Elijah helps Remi shop for underwear. Their dynamics change when Elijah gets a girlfriend who, as expected, frowns upon their proximity. But the real change occurs when Remi accidentally kisses Elijah in a dark room, while he thinks it's his girlfriend.

I like that this budding
Caz May
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
Adorable sweet YA romance

This was definitely a super cute, adorable read. Remi and Eli’s story is full of sweet angst and based on a beautiful friendship. I was honestly worried for a bit that this would turn bittersweet...but I was not disappointed with the outcome and I may have swooned and cheered when reading the last chapters. I’m not a big YA reader these days, preferring books with a little more steam. But I really enjoyed this sweet love story. The blurb hooked me in and the story didn’t
Jennifer Leigh
What Are Friends For? is definitely on my top list of 2020 reads. It takes the friends-to-lovers romance in directions I have never seen before. From the beginning, I loved the dynamics between the characters. Even when things start to derail, it is great to see how the characters work through everything. This page-turner of a book kept me reading into the wee hours of the night which is something that never happens. This debut by Sarah Sutton is absolute perfection. I look forward to whatever ...more
Ree
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a YA novel in awhile. I also haven't enjoyed one the way I did with "What Are Friends For?"

Though it follows the not-so-new (yet my all-time favourite) trope of best friends to lovers, I found it to be so... FULL. I loved the main characters, the secondary characters, the banter, the tension/angst, everything. The behaviour of the teens was pretty realistic - reflecting growing pains.

I recommend this cute, lovable read.

I voluntarily read & reviewed an ARC of this book.
M. A. Phillips
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A delightful, heartwarming story!

With Valentine’s Day nearly here, I was in the mood for a sweet romance. I recently started following the author online and decided her YA friends-to-lovers story would fit the bill. I was immediately hooked by the characters and their playful dialog. I also really enjoyed the parents in this novel. It’s pleasant to see divorced characters get along.
Elizabeth Reed
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute, relatable book. The MCs were likable but realistic, which I loved. This is a high school story and reads like one, so it's perfect for a high-school-aged reader in your life, but as an adult, I enjoyed it as well! It is set in the winter, so I loved reading it in January! The author did a great job with the setting and making me feel like I was really there. Awesome debut. Highly recommend.
Melanie Hooyenga
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a super sweet friends to lovers story that of course had me wishing the main character would just say how she felt, but if she did that right away we wouldn't have a story! Remi and Elijah's friendship is the type we all wish we had — and some of us are lucky enough to have turn into something more. Very cute story and I highly recommend!
Robert Hayek
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a first time author, this was a great debut. The characters are all likable and what starts as an innocent YA story turns into something really amazing by the end. Sutton does a great job of taking the characters and letting them grow in front of our eyes and we peel the layers off the characters piece by piece as we go through every page. I highly recommend this story.
Caity H
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute Rom-Com

Downloaded this while recovering from wisdom teeth removal and it was quite an enjoyable read! Very cute, with the fun twists and drama you can expect in romance. Looking forward to more from this author in the future :)
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please move my book from someone else's page 5 234 Nov 11, 2019 03:56PM

• James and the Giant Peach
  • The Kiss List (Love List #1)
  • Faking It (Fake Boyfriend Duet Book 1)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Secrets of Ms. Snickle's Class
  • The Bride Collector
  • Women & Power: A Manifesto
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Murder at Midnight (Rex Graves Mystery, #7)
  • The Burning Shadow (Origin, #2)
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • American Dirt
  • Tweet Cute
  • Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
  • The Plastic Magician
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
Sarah Sutton is a YA Romance author, bringing you stories about teenagers falling in love (sometimes with magic)She spends her days dreaming up ideas with her two adorable puppies by her side being cheerleaders (and mega distractions). ...more