Start by marking “A Firm Place to Stand” as Want to Read:
A Firm Place to Stand

A Firm Place to Stand

She blames herself for the suicide of a teenage boy. Now Maribel Montgomery is either being stalked or losing her mind.

A job at a camp in the rustic and often rugged landscape of West Texas offers Maribel Montgomery a chance to escape both, especially if she makes sure no one knows she's there.

But when the body of a woman washes up in the river on her first morning, her h
Published January 25th 2020 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about A Firm Place to Stand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Firm Place to Stand

Start your review of A Firm Place to Stand
Taylor
Thank you so much to LSBBT, the publisher, and the author for providing me with a finished copy in exchange for an honest review.

“A dead woman, a missing girl, and a family secret. All connected by way of the Pool of Siloam Camp.”

Maribel Montgomery can’t afford to be picky. Literally. As a penniless — and recently evicted — former journalist, she feels a job at a summer camp for teenage girls in West Texas is as good a place as any to regroup and rebuild. Haunted by her past sins, Maribel expec
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I don't even know where to start with this book and how much I enjoyed it and the message.  I highlighted so many passages because they spoke to me.  This book is more than faith, suspense, or trust. It is the culmination of so many different aspects, thoughts, beliefs, and actions of the various characters.  Let's just start with how the book starts:

"Journalists traveled light - especially the unemployed ones running from a tsunami of poor choices. Of course, she wasn't exactly running since sh
L.K. Simonds
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right when it seems you've found a nice, quiet place to stop and catch your breath, you haven't.

Maribel Montgomery almost makes it to the Pool of Siloam Camp - where she can lick her professional wounds - when her car breaks down. Well, the 1967 Ford Falcon burns up, actually. And that's in the first couple of paragraphs. That car is reminiscent of Cortés's ships burning on the shore of the New World. There's no turning back now, Maribel.

The waters at the Pool of Siloam Camp are troubled indeed
Jenn Z at That's What She's Reading
description

While I have to say that I was definitely intrigued by the cover, the synopsis really hooked me with its darker mystery elements. I also really enjoy second chance stories, and as its Christian themes of redemption began to make their presence known within the narrative, this book certainly did not disappoint.

From the beginning, readers are very attune to the fact that Maribel is carrying around A LOT of emotional baggage that has severely impacted her confidence when interacting with other peo
Ariel Hess
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion. I was provided a copy of a finished pdf copy from Lone Star Literary Life partner in exchange for my honest review. The comments in this review do not reflect the views of the author or the publisher. The copies used in this review are finalized copies sent to me in exchange for my honest review. #partner #LSBBT

Has there ever been a moment in your life where you’ve felt like you can’t catch a break? Have you ever felt as though you were a burden to e
Jeannette Maxwell
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the first pages of the book, the reader is drawn in to the mystery that surrounds Maribel Montgomery. It is clear that she is running from a painful past, from wounds, and from failure. I was immediately caught up in her story, wondering what she was running from, and what she was hiding. Quickly, I realized that she was not the only one hiding something. As the story unfolds, the reader understands that Marilbel seems to be in danger. Maribel does not know who she can trust in this atmosph ...more
Marion Surles
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced Christian romance, suspense. Scripture was woven into the story without being in your face. A page-turner for sure with great lessons of forgiveness.
Christena
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“The expression on Peg’s face as she shifted made it impossible for Maribel to look away. “And Maribel, dear, don’t lie there letting the vultures-whatever they are-blind you. Stand up and fight.””

When a splendid book cover leads to an intense story it becomes the epitome of forgetting your own troubles.

A body. A disappearance. Several bangs on the head later to the main character – I was reading an engrossing story about Maribel who is a highly relatable character in A Firm Place to Stand by Lo
Teri W
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great work of fiction written by dear friend and former college roommate! Had a hard time putting this one down. It has everything from murder, mystery, heart pounding adventure, romance and a beautiful theme of redemption woven through the entire story. If you’re looking for a good old fashioned page turner and entertaining read, do yourself a favor and read this book!
Lone Star Literary Life
Featured on Lone Star Book Blog Tours. Lone Star Blogger Team average rating: 4.5 stars. ...more
Lorilei Gonzales
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Firm Place to Stand by Lori Altebaumer makes you ask questions immediately from page one. And I could sense a sly grin as Altebaumer pulls you into the story, only causing the questions to multiply. Sort of like how dodgy people will answer your questions with more questions. Which would all be rather intriguing in any suspense book, but for some reason this surprised me even more coming from a book classified as a Christian, romantic suspense novel. My usual experience with the genre is that ...more
Lynn Poppe
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it

A Firm Place to Stand is a quick-paced romantic suspense novel. It starts with a dead body, then a missing girl, and finally guy with some great flirty banter!

The novel read like a cosign curve for me, high at the ends and lower in the middle. The beginning starts strong and I was immediately drawn in. I could absolutely feel where Maribel is coming from right from the start. She is down on her luck, with her paranoia and anxiety coming clearly across the page from her thoughts and actions. The
Tangled in Text
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I make a point of not reading book blurbs and back covers in order to go into books with no assumptions because even just knowing the main identifying genres of A Firm Place to Stand were Christian and Romantic Suspense I thought I had a good sense of what to expect. I was mistaken. A Firm Place to Stand was a source of great suspense and mystery.

A Firm Place to Stand definitely started with a bang between a fire starting then a morning run gone wrong and held onto that edge. I was drawn in and
Melissa
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I’m not a particular fan of fiction labeled “Christian,” I dove into this book with an open mind. What I found was that the author, Lori Altebaumer, is brilliant at dialogue and description – if you’ve never experienced a Texas summer day in reality, you will completely understand what one feels like after this novel. Similarly, you will believe that Maribel, Conner, the sheriff, and all the supporting characters are real people, because they talk like real people.

The opening of this thril
Christy Shuler
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible debut by Lori Altebaumer. I found myself mesmerized by the brilliant harmony of romance, suspense, and scripture. This book poses several questions right from the start that Altebaumer successfully weaves throughout the entirety of the plot, raising the stakes at each and every turn. The answers to these questions, and the resulting chaos that ensues do not disappoint!

Maribel Montgomery is a woman with a dark past, hoping to escape it with a new job at the Pool of Siloam Camp for girl
Kelly Goshorn
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I opened the cover, this story took me on a roller coaster ride of danger, mystery, and intrigue as heroine Maribel Montgomery runs from her painful past into an unknown future with a handsome new acquaintance she can't determine is friend or foe. But It wasn't just the suspense that captured my attention. Altebaumer's prose are filled with excellent descriptions that bring the heat and humidity of a Texas summer to life and the snappy dialogue between Maribel and Conner often ha ...more
Tiffany Ward
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was instantly intrigued with all the action and anticipation taking place immediately in the first pages of the book. It had my mind jumping from thought to thought as I attempted to untangle the obscurities. Lori did a fantastic job of keeping the suspense going. Her descriptive talents made it easy to escape and imagine scenes in the book as if it were a movie. I was eager to open the pages and begin reading again before I ever sat it down. Maribel is an easy character to relate to with all ...more
Kristine Hall
4.5 STARS. Really enjoyed this book. The author has a knack for capturing setting and uses a variety of literary devices and figurative language to enrich the story. Characters are interesting and realistic, though the MC frustrated me to no end with her lack of reasoning and irrational decisions -- but I couldn't stop reading what she'd do next (or waiting to see her next injury -- talk about a danger-prone Daphne!). Full review coming soon to Hall Ways Blog. ...more
Patti Stockdale
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Firm Place to Stand is an exciting tale with enough twists and tension to keep me guessing from page to page, an ideal scenario in a well-written suspense novel. The dialogue snaps, and the author’s voice appeals, making the read a joy from start to finish. I also appreciate how the romance and spiritual threads deepen the connection between reader and author. I’m impressed! Although I received a complimentary e-copy from the author, I’m not required to write a positive review. The views expre ...more
Darlene
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Firm Place to Stand grabs the reader from the very beginning and doesn't let go. It's full of everything a romantic suspense reader loves--action, romance, plot twists, and fantastic characters. Loved the girl's camp and the heroine's love for wanting to protect them. The faith element was strong but not overpowering. Maribel's character arc is superb.

I love this author's fresh voice. We'll definitely be seeing more of her books. Can't wait to read the next one!
Heather Smith
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I could see this book play out in my mind like it was happening on a screen. In fact, I think it would make an excellent movie. This story has compelling characters, a great setting, romantic tension, mystery, and a wonderful message of redemption!

I also want to comment on the author’s use of figurative language. I enjoy well-placed and creative metaphors, and the author definitely has a real talent for that.

Intriguing story!
Janette Johnson
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend Lori Altebaumer’s book “A Firm Place to Stand”. It was a book that had me captivated from the start! It will pull at your heart with romance, have you intrigued with gripping mysteries, and reveal a deeper love and forgiveness available to all of us. It’s a great story of hope and discovery that will encourage you in your own journey in life.
Erin Unger
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strong heroes journey

If you like a suspense with great character growth, this book is for you. Lori Altebaumer did a great job creating a believable world with vivid scenery description also.
Kay Delbosque
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A firm place to stand review

Loved this book - can’t wait to read the next one! Really enjoyed it taking place close to home - Karen McElroy
Michele McCarthy
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
She could run but she couldn't hide. This is my author friend, Lori's first book. She did a great job. Kept me hooked until the end. Great redemption story with in the mystery. ...more
Deena Adams
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I loved this Christian suspense by author, Lori Altebaumer! Maribel's journey to forgiveness, specifically of herself, kept my attention through every twist and turn, which were woven in expertly.

The spiritual thread held a perfect balance of truth and subtlety and added to the wonderful storyline and intriguing relationship between Maribel and girl's camp employee, Connor.

If you love mystery and suspense with a spiritual arc, don't miss this one!
Karen DeArmond Gardner
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Firm Place to Stand is a well-written book that had me at hello. I read it the book in 24 hours, each chapter left me wanting more. With twists and turns that kept me turning pages. What I liked the most is how Lori took the time to tie up the ending. A Firm Place to Stand is well worth the read.
Cheryl Hudson
Jul 14, 2020
Deb DeArmond
Jul 05, 2020
Staci
Apr 09, 2020

• The Outlaw's Daughter (The Haywire Brides, #3)
  • The Caretakers
  • The Secret of You and Me
  • The Edge of Belonging
  • Airborne
  • All Things Left Wild
  • What Momma Left Behind
  • The First Emma
  • 6 Feet Under Texas: Unique, Famous, & Historic Graves in the Lone Star State (Cemetery Tales)
  • Breakfast at the Honey Creek Café (Honey Creek, #1)
  • All the Cowboys Ain't Gone
  • Landing in My Present: A Father, a Daughter, and the Singular Himalayan Journey that Reunited Them
  • For Spacious Skies: Katharine Lee Bates and the Inspiration for "America the Beautiful"
  • At Close Range: A Memoir of Tragedy and Advocacy
  • Pudge and Prejudice
  • Covey and JayJay Get Educated (Covey Jencks mysteries)
  • Gates of Mars (The Halo Trilogy, Book One)
  • Edison Jones and the Anti-Grav Elevator