Start by marking “Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)

Anomaly

(The Blood Race #0.5)

14-year-old Ion Jacobs just wants to belong to a family and feel normal. But his past is a mystery, his future is a question, and his whole life is about to change.

Tossed from one foster home to another and shadowed by his mysterious past, Ion fears he’ll never fit in — until one day, when he drops a pencil and instead of falling to the floor…it floats.

Shocked and bewilder
Published April 7th 2020

Start your review of Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)
PamG
ANOMALY by K.A. Emmons is the prequel to THE BLOOD RACE series. It is also my first book by this author. It has a fantasy / paranormal aspect to it and could be targeted to teens and the young adult market, but older readers will get a lot out of this prequel.

Ion Jacobs is a 14-year-old boy living with a new foster family for about three months. He feels like he doesn’t fit in and then one day odd things begin to happen starting with a pencil he drops that floats rather than dropping to the floo
Schizanthus Nerd
“You don’t have to be defined by what’s happened.”
Ion Jacobs has spent his entire life bouncing from one foster home to the next. He doesn’t know who his family are and what he does know of his history only confirms his belief that he’s a nobody.

Now fourteen, Ion has been living with the Reeves for three months. Mike and Ava have a seven year old daughter, Rachel. Mike’s son, Michael, who is in Ion’s class, also lives with them. Rounding out the family is Rachel’s terrier, Gabe.

Ion has always
Bonnie DeMoss
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Ion is a struggling foster kid just trying to get along with some family members who do not want him there. On top of that, changes start happening. His pencils begin to levitate, his backpack flies up to the ceiling, and he discovers healing powers.

Ion meets an old man on the beach who he can talk to as things start unraveling in his foster home. With the man’s guidance, Ion begins to face the facts that he has no idea who he is or why he can do the things he can do.

This short story is a preque
Lisa Elis
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
HAPPY RELEASE DAY TO KATE!

I rarely read prequels, but this was definitely one I would recommend. If you are a fan of the Blood Race trilogy and love Ion (Icarus), the main character, this is definitely worth the read. Heart wrenching, touching, resonant, and magical, it's a glimpse into the life of young Ion. It's full of feels and full of conflict, and will certainly pull you through.

Applause to K. A. Emmons. 4/5 stars, because it's a novella.
Haïfa
Jul 11, 2020 added it
I would like to thank the author for the opportunity to review this book.

Rating: 2.5 stars

Anomaly is a prequel novella for the Blood Race series by K.A. Emmons. I haven't read the main series but the premise of this book caught my eye. I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. I should have been more wary, because YA isn't my typical go-to genre (though I have had the chance to read a few great books).

The most noticeable thing that didn't work for me was the writing. Not all
Jeanette
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Fourteen-year-old Ion Jacobs just wants to belong to a normal family and feel normal. but his past is a mystery, his future is a question, and his whole life is about to change. Tossed from one foster home to another and shadowed by his mysterious past, Ion fears he’ll never fit in – until one day, when he drops a pencil and instead of falling to the floor . . . it floats."

Kate Emmons has been one of my favourite bloggers for over a year. I have yet to read her Blood Race trilogy (which I’ve he
Brooke Riley
CAN I GIVE THIS BOOK MORE THAN JUST A FREAKING FIVE STARS???

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay, so we all know how I am with The Blood Race trilogy. Basically, I'm obsessed with this entire freaking series and y'all are probably annoyed by how much I talk about it.

Do I care? Not really.
Sharon Metcalf
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
I'm not entirely sure how Anomaly by K.A. Emmons originally came to my attention.    Part of it is definitely because I gravitate toward certain types of YA fiction but I also remember  being intrigued by the description.   Unfortunately, I  somehow missed (or overlooked) the fact that Anomaly was the Prequel to the Blood Race Trilogy.   Of course that's my bad because I'm not really in the market for a new trilogy right now and it doesn't really work that well as a stand alone.    That said, so ...more
Donna Tallent
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Ion, living with his new foster family discovers he has some supernatural powers. As he struggles to fit in and understand who he is and where he came from, he makes an unusual friend. Can he keep his powers a secret and protect those he cares about?

This was a deep book and rough to read in spots. Ion is a tough kid, he’s been through a lot and the brother and father of his foster family are pretty harsh to him. Ion feels alone in a world that calls him a freak and he wants to die. It’s gut-wre
Rachel Faulk
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Anandi Puritipati
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anomaly is the prequel to The Blood Race trilogy that the author has put out already. It seems to be toeing the line of science fiction and paranormal urban fantasy, and it follows the story of Ion Jacobs- who seems to be a main character in the The Blood Race series- and we get to see him coming into his powers and learning to accept them.

Ion is a foster kid who has been passed around the system a lot and he feels... well, a lot of things. He feels alone, because he’s never really felt like he
Annie
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Anomaly is the prequel novella for the Blood Race series by K.A. Emmons. Released 7th April 2020, it's 150 pages and available in ebook format. Worth noting that the ebook has a handy interactive table of contents. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately. Anomaly is currently free to download and read.

This is a YA paranormal fantasy. Although released chronologically after the other books which make up the trilogy
Gail A.
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author’s skilled writing style immediately drew me into the therapeutic session with young Ion. I felt his discomfort and caution as the social workers questions challenged his answers and made him uneasy. The scene switches and the author takes you to where Ion lives with the Reeves. He is 14. It is a complicated family of anger and dysfunction and Ion is right in the middle. Ion discovers he has unique powers and questions their validity. And so the author has set the stage for her readers ...more
Keith  Blodgett
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Three and ½ stars really. It's not that it's bad it's just wordy. A character will ask a question/says something and then the reader is faced with a page or two of internal angst, scattered thoughts descriptions of the room, the smells, the sounds and finally there'll be a response of some sort.
Ion. . . Who lets a child enter the foster care system with a name like Ion? That's like painting a target on his back. But anyway, Ion is an angsty foster in of course the home where the father is a drun
Josef Hrůza
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book really is a prequel. I didnt read any other book in the series before this one and it felt like something is missing. It appears to be structurally built as a standalone, but if that is the case, the main theme feels unfinished. I can see a sketch of a theme that I would expect to culminate in a twist or payoff, but then it just ends. Hopefully the rest is explored further in other books of the series.
It is a very pleasant smooth read, though sometimes the amount of vivid descriptions
Stefani
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
***Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and K.A. Emmons!!***

This was an enjoyable litte novella. It introduced me to the world of Ion quite well. I assume that the first book in the series picks up where this left off, with Ion trying to figure out his powers. It was nice to get a sense of the things he is able to do. Obviously he can control things with his thoughts. But it isn’t fleshed out to a great extent since I assume that i
Marissa
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Anomaly is the prequel of the Blood Race Trilogy. The main character, Ion is a teenager trying to adjust to his foster home while desperately trying to figure out his strange powers that continue to cause friction between him and his foster brother and father. Fearing his secret powers will hurt or kill others, Ion seeks comfort in the companionship of a random man he met on the beach who may know more about Ion then he's letting on.

I thought the book was interesting, but the concept was nothin
Ashley
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Being a fast read is probably the best thing it has going for it. Anomaly is the prequel to The Blood Race series.

Ion is a foster child living in a less than stable household. Mr. Reeves is a jobless alcoholic, Ava is his preferred victim aside from Ion and his son Michael is picking up all his father’s abusive ways. The youngest child Rachel is the only happy person in the book.

Ion discovers he has strange powers thanks to a pencil that starts to float. The events are his powers steadily grow
Vivi (they/them)
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not in any way persuaded to write a positive review.

TW: Suicidal thoughts and attempts of suicide

Anomaly is the prequel to The Blood Race trilogy (if you have not read The Blood Race trilogy yet, stop right now and buy them. They are amazing and will be totally worth your time), it takes place when Ion first discovers he has powers. His powers are useful and help him in difficult situation but like anything good they come
Megan Forrest
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a prequel, this book has definitely done its job. It shows us the origin of Ion's powers and for those (like me) who have not read the series - I am going out to get them. Ion's story is gritty and hard-hitting. If you are looking for a fluffy story, look elsewhere. But it is very real. As a teacher, I have seen many students go through similar struggles - minus the superpowers! Ion's growth and development, while difficult at times, shows hope beyond the darkness and the healing ability of k ...more
brooke
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The is a perfect prequel. I was sad when the series ended to say goodbye to characters that I love but this this was fantastic. First there is so much truth spoken in the book it's more then just getting to know the main character of the series better she writes about something we all struggle with and that's having things spoken over us that we let define us and how to combat those spoken lies. She also writes about our thoughts and how they can shape how we see ourselves and conduct ourselves. ...more
Jane Firebaugh
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anomaly is a fantastic prequel to a series that I am now dying to read.

Ion Jacobs is different. He doesn't know why; he doesn't even really know who he is or where he is from, having been found as a baby under very strange circumstances.

Something even more strange and different has been happening to him lately though, and now he knows he needs to find some answers or he may not be able to control what happens next.

This book grabbed me by the throat and didn't let me go until I finished. I can't
Breanna Bee
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received and ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Anomaly is a prequel to The Blood Race trilogy. It follows Ion when he was young, and we get to see him try and understand his powers and see him struggle with it.
This book was a intriguing read, fast paced the story pulled you in and does not let go. The author knows how to make readers feel for the character and that's how you know it will be an amazing read.
Overall this was a good read and I recommend it to everyone.
Lori Colwill
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC from the author. I have not read the series that this is the prequel to. However, I definitely will know. Knowing a little bit about Ion and what happens to him before the series starts will give me a little bit more insight into the character that he becomes. It’s oblivious that he has a rough beginning, and mysterious circumstances that surround his appearing. It will be interesting to see how this develops in the series.
Tasha
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Ion is a foster child living in a household with an abusive and drunk husband and his son who is a bully. Strange things happen to Ion, things that scare and confuse him. He befriends a homeless man who just might have the answers to Ion's questions. Definitely for the young adult reader. I didn't realize this was a prequel to a series. Now I'm interested in reading the series to see how everything plays out. ...more
Lashyashy84
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Worthy of 5 stars. Wow! This story immediately starts off great so I was hooked from the beginning. The author does a fantastic job of giving just the right amount of details so you have a clear understanding of scenery, action, and Ion's internal thoughts without being overly wordy. It was interesting to see his character development. I was truly left wondering what is going to happen and can't wait to read more. ...more
TBHONEST
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ANOMALY by K.A. Emmons is the prequel to THE BLOOD RACE series, it's a relatively short book, but it does pack a punch. The main character is well crafted and likeable so much so it's extremely easy to become very attached to them and invested in the emotional turmoil they go through as the story progresses. This a great read which is perfect for fans of The Blood Race Series but also easily equally as thrilling for those who may have not yet read the series. ...more
Susan Langdon
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved how Anomaly gives a great lead into the Blood Race series. It is very detailed and well written, I could feel the sensations and emotions as she described Ion's struggles. I have previously read the Blood Race series; The Blood Race, Worlds Beneath and Resurgence, but I have started them again with a fresh understanding of Ion.
Kate is a masterful writer, which allows the reader to fully experience the story.
Antonio
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable book!! How Ion’s situation was presented, him in a constant battle of what’s “wrong” with him, can be relatable to what people face in today’s society; never feeling like they’re enough or normal. The reactions of the people he’s living with to the events surrounding him are also believable and add to the level of realism Ion faces and has to deal with. Good setup to the rest of the series!
Cathy Eades
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is just a short book but it crams a lot in. I haven't read the other books in the series and it still works well as an introduction. It's well balanced and the main character is believable and likeable. The author has a nice writing style, I haven't read any of her work before but I found it easy to read without being too simplistic.

I will be reading the first book of the trilogy now.

• 100 Days of Sunlight
  • The Love Square
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy #1)
  • First Light
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Crispin's Day: The Glory of Agincourt
  • Things in Jars
  • The Inn
  • Coffee Girl (Coffee Book #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Break the Fall
  • Candy Making for Beginners: Easy Recipes for Homemade Caramels, Gummies, Lollipops, and More
  • Before She Was Helen
  • Hope Lies Ahead: Encouragement for Parents of Prodigals from a Family That's Been There
  • From Sky to Sky (No Less Days, #2)
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • A Circle of Firelight
  • Nineteen
When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run.

Emmons’ debut novel The Blood Race is the first book in her YA science fiction/fantasy thriller series.

The novel follows main character Ion, a trouble

The Blood Race (4 books)
  • The Blood Race (The Blood Race, #1)
  • Worlds Beneath (The Blood Race, #2)
  • Resurgence (The Blood Race, #3)