Start by marking “Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)

Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)

14-year-old Ion Jacobs just wants to belong to a family and feel normal. But his past is a mystery, his future is a question, and his whole life is about to change.

Tossed from one foster home to another and shadowed by his mysterious past, Ion fears he’ll never fit in — until one day, when he drops a pencil and instead of falling to the floor…it floats.

Shocked and
Expected publication: April 7th 2020

Start your review of Anomaly (The Blood Race, #0.5)
Brooke R.
CAN I GIVE THIS BOOK MORE THAN JUST A FREAKING FIVE STARS???

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay, so we all know how I am with The Blood Race trilogy. Basically, I'm obsessed with this entire freaking series and y'all are probably annoyed by how much I talk about it.

Do I care? Not really.

I can't help it! This book, this series is my favorite series ever and I just want everyone to read it.

Okay, let's focus on Anomaly before I slip too deep into fangirl mode for coherent sentences and thoughts.

Jeanette
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Fourteen-year-old Ion Jacobs just wants to belong to a normal family and feel normal. but his past is a mystery, his future is a question, and his whole life is about to change. Tossed from one foster home to another and shadowed by his mysterious past, Ion fears he’ll never fit in – until one day, when he drops a pencil and instead of falling to the floor . . . it floats."

Kate Emmons has been one of my favourite bloggers for over a year. I have yet to read her Blood Race trilogy (which I’ve
Keith  Blodgett
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Three and stars really. It's not that it's bad it's just wordy. A character will ask a question/says something and then the reader is faced with a page or two of internal angst, scattered thoughts descriptions of the room, the smells, the sounds and finally there'll be a response of some sort.
Ion. . . Who lets a child enter the foster care system with a name like Ion? That's like painting a target on his back. But anyway, Ion is an angsty foster in of course the home where the father is a
Marissa
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Anomaly is the prequel of the Blood Race Trilogy. The main character, Ion is a teenager trying to adjust to his foster home while desperately trying to figure out his strange powers that continue to cause friction between him and his foster brother and father. Fearing his secret powers will hurt or kill others, Ion seeks comfort in the companionship of a random man he met on the beach who may know more about Ion then he's letting on.

I thought the book was interesting, but the concept was
Ashley
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Being a fast read is probably the best thing it has going for it. Anomaly is the prequel to The Blood Race series.

Ion is a foster child living in a less than stable household. Mr. Reeves is a jobless alcoholic, Ava is his preferred victim aside from Ion and his son Michael is picking up all his father’s abusive ways. The youngest child Rachel is the only happy person in the book.

Ion discovers he has strange powers thanks to a pencil that starts to float. The events are his powers steadily
Vivi (they/them)
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not in any way persuaded to write a positive review.

TW: Suicidal thoughts and attempts of suicide

Anomaly is the prequel to The Blood Race trilogy (if you have not read The Blood Race trilogy yet, stop right now and buy them. They are amazing and will be totally worth your time), it takes place when Ion first discovers he has powers. His powers are useful and help him in difficult situation but like anything good they come
Germaine
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.*

Anomaly was my introduction to Kate Emmons. I knew Kate's sister, Abbie, beforehand, so I was interested to see what the other Emmons sister had in store.

I was not disappointed.

Anomaly, despite being a prequel, reads incredibly smoothly. It's full of suspense, action, and internal conflict, every page wanting to draw you in. Ion felt like a legitimate person with understandable struggles, and for
Crow L.
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whether or not I was supposed to read The Blood Race Triology before this, its the very beginning of how it started. I really liked the paranormal aspect of this, the relationship between Ion and the man were my favorite parts. Conversations about the truth of ourselves and about our thoughts, the defining of us and it was just very in depth that I highlighted quite abit I do have to say the beginning was abit slow for me but it was a quick read where I kept wanting to know more about his ...more
brooke
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The is a perfect prequel. I was sad when the series ended to say goodbye to characters that I love but this this was fantastic. First there is so much truth spoken in the book it's more then just getting to know the main character of the series better she writes about something we all struggle with and that's having things spoken over us that we let define us and how to combat those spoken lies. She also writes about our thoughts and how they can shape how we see ourselves and conduct ourselves. ...more
Megan Forrest
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a prequel, this book has definitely done its job. It shows us the origin of Ion's powers and for those (like me) who have not read the series - I am going out to get them. Ion's story is gritty and hard-hitting. If you are looking for a fluffy story, look elsewhere. But it is very real. As a teacher, I have seen many students go through similar struggles - minus the superpowers! Ion's growth and development, while difficult at times, shows hope beyond the darkness and the healing ability of ...more
Debra Mandell
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is an arc book review on K A Emmons prequel of the blood race series. It's name is Anomaly. Got the ebook this morning and just finished it (6hrs). I really like the main character Ion. He's sweet, caring and a bit broken by his life. The foster father n brother are very antagonist. The foster mom n little sister are kind n gentle. There's more but I don't want give any spoilers. I will be buying the series, it's seems like a great adventure. Thanks KA for taking a chance with me.

Debra
Lori Colwill
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC from the author. I have not read the series that this is the prequel to. However, I definitely will know. Knowing a little bit about Ion and what happens to him before the series starts will give me a little bit more insight into the character that he becomes. It’s oblivious that he has a rough beginning, and mysterious circumstances that surround his appearing. It will be interesting to see how this develops in the series.
Breanna
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received and ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Anomaly is a prequel to The Blood Race trilogy. It follows Ion when he was young, and we get to see him try and understand his powers and see him struggle with it.
This book was a intriguing read, fast paced the story pulled you in and does not let go. The author knows how to make readers feel for the character and that's how you know it will be an amazing read.
Overall this was a good read and I recommend it to everyone.
Hannah
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is a short and sweet prequel to the amazing The Blood Race trilogy. While I didn't find this book to be incredibly necessary to the series as a whole, I enjoyed being back in this world. This book gives more depth to Ion's character. Ion was the perspective I connected with the least, so having a prequel focused on him made me feel like I got to understand him as a character more. If you've read The Blood Race trilogy
Debbie Mckenzie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I haven't read the others in the series but I am interested in checking them out. This is probably for a younger audience but I occasionally enjoy the YA books.
Rebecca Bowyer
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written coming-of-age story with magical realism thrown in. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!
Sinead
is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2020

• Journeys: Aussie Speculative Fiction
  • First Light
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods, #1)
  • Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #2)
  • Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #3)
  • Revolution Is Not a Dinner Party
  • The Boy Between Worlds
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Battlestar Suburbia
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized (A Practical Guide to Evil, #2)
  • Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell
  • The Girl Who Steals Christmas (The Boy Who Steals Houses, #0.5)
  • All the King's Traitors (Highwings, #1)
  • Stargazing
  • The Vinyl Underground
When she’s not hermiting away in her colorfully-painted home office writing her next science fiction, passionate story-teller and adventurer Kate Emmons is probably on the road for a surf or hiking trip, listening to vinyls, or going for a power run.

Emmons’ debut novel The Blood Race is the first book in her YA science fiction/fantasy thriller series.

The novel follows main character Ion, a