Start by marking “The Trouble with Magic (Magic, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Magic (Magic, #3)

The Trouble with Magic (Magic #3)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  465 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Here national bestselling author Patricia Rice delivers another sweeping tale of between an irresistibly magical Malcolm woman and a charmingly logical St. Ives man.

Felicity Malcolm Childe's gift for experiencing visions through touch has always felt more like a curse than a blessing. To deflect the more agonizing images generated by her suitors, she covers herself from he
Mass Market Paperback, 364 pages
Published August 5th 2003 by Signet (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Magic

I bought all of Patricia Rice Magic Novels when she selfpublished them, before she sold them to Sourcebook. Except... this book, some how, went missing. So, when it was re-issued by Sourcebooks I knew I had to buy it again.

And I am glad I did.

I enjoyed reading about Ewen and Felicity's romance. I liked Ewen's chivalry, and his attempt to protect Felicity from the visions. Even when he made mistakes, he acted for Felicity's welfare. And my heart melted as he struggled between doing what he must,
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hermoso!!! verdaderamente hermosa la historia entre Ewen Ives y Felicity Malcolm; él súper romántico, todo un caballero y ella ni se diga, inocencia pura; es una historia que te roba el corazón, no puedes dejar de leerla y que te emociona demasiado habiendo leído las 2 anteriores y habiéndote familiarizado con todos los personajes.

Hasta ahorita The Trouble with Magic es mi favorito de la serie mágica, lo disfruté mucho más que "Must be magic", con más magia, romanticismo y mucho amor; definitiva
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when i started the book, i was dismayed at Felicity's desire to rid herself of such an important gift. i felt she was so immature, and i was very tempted to not finish the book. i went on this site to see what other people thought, and other people seemed to love the book; so i decided to read a little more. so glad i did. Ewen began right away to help her see her gift in a different light. great story! great love story! i think that PR's "Magic" series is fantastic. i had read one, then i start ...more
Ellen Blend
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining and talented writer.
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Malcolm and Ives pairing

Nobody seemed as mismatched as Ewen and Felicity. He's a roaming inventor without a penny to his name. She's a bookstore with a crippling gift. At least they are both the youngest of their respective families. Outward appearances can be deceiving though and our seems that in this case opposites attract. This wasn't my favorite story of the series but it was still thoroughly enjoyable.
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome book. I really enjoyed reading this. Great characters that are strong and courageous, written well, humor, emotions, a drop of suspense, creative, good dialog and a perfect HEA. I can't wait to read more in this series. I have a feeling it's a series worth shelf space. *Excited* :) Totally Enjoy!
Tina Miles
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series. Full of magic, romance, saucy heroines and handsome heroes. And an HEA for all. Better if read as a series.
Paranormal Romance
The heroine has always been sheltered and protected by her family as her gift for seeing visions through touch often leaves her faint and weak and horrified on occasion by the secrets she's uncovered. Like the secret of her would be suitor pushing his mother down a flight of stairs. So, with the desire to rid herself of this curse, as she sees it, she and her sister have ventured north to Scotland. Under the pretense of visiting family the heroine can then escape and go in search of the book con ...more
Shelby Day
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5...I hardly ever give 5's but this one was so close! This is by far my favorite Patricia Rice novel. The characters were amazing. While they were introduced in the first two books, this one would still be a great stand-alone. First of all, my heart is sad the Ewen Ives is fictional. I love him. LOVE! His character is so charming, and smart, and handsome,... I could go on and on. Felicity is everything a heroine should be. She has a certain amount of vulnerability, but she doesn't let t ...more
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: georgian
Author: Patricia Rice
First published: 2003
Length: 364 pages
Setting: Edinburgh and environs, 1754. (Georgian)
Sex: Explicit. Infrequent (really just the once)
Hero: inventor heading to bankruptcy/debtors prison
Heroine: daughter of the Marquess of Hampton. "Senses" strong emotions and thoughts in people and objects, almost telepathy.
Includes: excerpt from Carolina Girl, a contemporary romance from Patricia Rice.

I really thought I would enjoy it but I found The Trouble With Magic slow and annoying. T
Kathy Martin
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very nice historical paranormal romance. Lady Felicity can read other people's emotions when she touches them or something they own. This is very difficult for her and makes it impossible for her to touch anyone or anything. She is determined to find an old book written by one of her ancestors which is supposed to have a cure for her gift. The only thing she knows for sure it that the book was sold to a collector in Scotland over one hundred years ago. She is determined to find it.

Mar 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
could not complete it.first of all i hate the wide eyes harmless not able to do anything for herself , naive, spirit, no chemistry between hero and heroine either...he treats her like a child..does not see his faults..not ready to do anything for herslf..god i really hated her...
and the precisely the sort i don't much like ..adores each women for her big deal will there be about the heroine..god knows he looks like he will stray..if i
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of kasey michaels, jo beverly, johanna lindsey, and stephanie laurens
This is a really sweet story about two people that prove the old adage true - you cannot judge a book by its cover. You got a hint this might be the direction Ewan and Felicity's story would go when Ewan gave Felicity the automated flower at Ninian and Drogo's wedding. This is a fun story with lively characters and a little bit of mystery. It also gives you a better understanding of the Malcolm and Ives families.
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Only two stars from me even though there is nothing wrong with this book. The characters were all good and the story flows smoothly. It is a well written book. The problem is me. I prefer more conflict between the male and female lead and a little bit more spunk from the female lead too.

This book is still a good read but I can't say that I like it enough to give it three stars.
A decent fantasy/romance combination. The fantasy element is a pseudo-magical ability that our heroine possess that provides the conflict between hero and heroine and drives the heroine's side of the plot.

Even though it's not the first in the series, it stands alone pretty well.
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book in series
Felicity has the ability to read emotions simply by touching people Ewen likes to build and tinker. They meet and sparks fly.
Yet another in the Magic series
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love love love! This is by far one of my favorite rice books and definitely the best from the magic series.
Leila Goreil
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving the Magic Series by Patricia Rice. It's the perfect dose of romance and I find myself chuckling at some of the dialogue!
Dawn Moon
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

As always, Patricia Rice writes with awesome characters. For all the Romance lovers out there - this is a keeper and it won't disappoint.
Oct 08, 2014 added it
Shelves: fantasy
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun. A little predictable, though.
Jun 18, 2011
Feb 27, 2015
Apr 04, 2014
rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2014
  • Sailor Moon Box Set 2 (Vol. 7-12)
  • Blood of Dragons (Witch Fairy, #7)
  • If He's Dangerous (Wherlocke, #4)
  • Spiral Path (Night Calls #3)
  • Seduced By Your Spell (Witches of Mayfair, #2)
  • Almost a Princess (Men from Special Branch, #4)
  • Knight Games Box Set  (Kinght Games, #1-4)
  • Again, My Lord (Twist, #2)
  • A Kiss of Fate
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • Silken Shadows (Killdaren #3)
  • The Wicked Duke Takes a Wife (Boscastle, #9)
  • My Immortal Protector (MacDonell Brides #4)
  • Confessions at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #2)
  • Touched by Love
  • Never Trust a Rogue (Heiress in London, #2)
  • Danse de la Folie
With several million books in print and New York Times and USA Today's bestseller lists under her belt, former CPA Patricia Rice writes emotionally-charged contemporary and historical romances which have won numerous awards, including the RT Book Reviews Reviewers Choice and Career Achievement Awards.

Her books have also been honored as Romance Writers of America RITA® finalists in the historical,
More about Patricia Rice...

Magic (6 books)
  • Merely Magic (Magic, #1)
  • Must Be Magic (Magic, #2)
  • This Magic Moment (Magic, #4)
  • Much Ado About Magic (Magic, #5)
  • Magic Man (Magic, #6)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)