Start by marking “The Witches: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Witches: The Graphic Novel

The Witches: The Graphic Novel

Roald Dahl's darkly funny masterpiece, The Witches, now available as a graphic novel from Eisner Award-winning artist Pénélope Bagieu!

Witches are real, and they are very, very dangerous. They wear ordinary clothes and have ordinary jobs, living in ordinary towns all across the world -- and there's nothing they despise more than children. When an eight-year-old boy and his
Published September 1st 2020 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 29th 2020)

Start your review of The Witches: The Graphic Novel
Mehsi
The Witches are back, this time in a gorgeous and dark Graphic Novel! I loved it!

I LOVE LOVE The Witches by Roald Dahl. Not just the original novel but also the old movie. Both scared me to bits when I was little. Witches that looked like normal ladies… that wanted to exterminate all the kids in the world. I was eager to get started on this one. The cover promised that it would have wonderful art.

It has been many many years since I last saw the movie or read the book so I cannot say if the graph
Rod Brown
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
One of those books with a tortured origin: here's the translated edition of a French adaptation of an English novel. Maybe the French influence explains why Grandmamma's smoking was not quietly dropped out of book even as so much else was changed to make the 37-year-old story more palatable for a modern audience.

The basic plot remains the same, with a young orphan boy being told about witches by his grandmother and then stumbling across a meeting of witches plotting to destroy all the children o
Schizanthus Nerd
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Roald Dahl was my favourite author when I was a kid. I’ve read four of his books so many times over the years I’ve lost count: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The BFG and The Witches. I could also pretty much ruin each of the movies (the originals, if they‘ve been remade) for you by telling you every line before they happen.

I loved searching for witches when I was a kid. Sure, I knew that this story was fiction but it was fun to play ‘what if’ and check to see if women walking past m
Yoda
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven´t read a lot of Roald Dahl, most of it was in my adult life so now I see that I´ve missed out on some great stories as a child! Amazing story, I love the graphic novel version, the drawings are amazing and it gives life to the story in an almost magical way.
Chessa
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love The Witches - the original book, the movie from the 90’s - and now this graphic novel adaptation! The art was really fun and fresh - kind of a child-like, quirky quality that I think will appeal to kids especially (particularly love how Grandmama is drawn!). The author did a great job of incorporating minor updates that helps the material feel more contemporary. Recommended for long-time Dahl fans, but a fun way to introduce a whole new audience to his work!
Ricki
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This brings back so many memories! It's very well done. ...more
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thank you to Scholastic for providing me with a copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review!

Witches used to be around, and they could smell a kid from a mile away. You wouldn’t want to cross a witch, but there’s not many around anymore….except when a boy and his grandmother go on holiday. After discovering a hoard of them by accident, he has a plan to stop their evil plot, but that’s going to be hard to do in his current…..state.

I love that this beloved Roald Dahl story has been turned i
Mayar El Mahdy
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm lowkey in love with Penelope Bagieu.

This is such an adorable story, the artwork is beautiful and enjoyed it immensely. I don't know how the actual book ends but I feel there is more to the story.
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-tbr
5 stars for sentimental reasons- first book my niece has recommended to me so we can discuss it 🥰

Love the graphic novel adaptation and diversity added to it.
Liz
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining, and sometimes heartwrenching, adaptation of my favorite Roald Dahl book. Absolutely love the art style and character designs!
Ellon
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
The Witches is one of the Dahl novels I actually haven’t read yet (but now I want to read it so I can compare). The story is a bit dark (as most Dahl books are) but it was exciting. I wasn’t a huge fan of the illustration style but it fit the story well and reminded me of illustrations of other Dahl stories.
I don’t think I will purchase for my elementary library though. A bit too much “adult” things like the couple making out on the bench, the mouse in the cook’s pants, and the blood.
Ms. Yingling
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Krysta
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Source: ARC from Edelweiss

The Witches: The Graphic Novel is a compelling adaptation of Roald Dahl’s classic novel. It embraces the slightly scary, but also funny, tone of the original, delivering a book that is sure to enthrall readers with its brave heroes and their quirky adventures. Readers who may not have picked up a Roald Dahl work on their own may be inspired to see what else he has written after being introduced to his imagination with this beautifully-illustrated adaptation.

One of the a
Danielle Booey
I was so excited when I saw that The Witches had been made into a graphic novel. It is one of my favorite Roald Dahl books. I am still scarred by the 90s movie with Anjelica Huston as the Grand High Witch haha, so to find out that Penelope Bagieu was doing the adaptation for the graphic novel was just the cherry on top of this already great news.

This is a fantastic adaptation of the original book. The art is charming and fresh. The colors really pop off the page. And Penelope Bagieu was meant to
Books.and.brews_
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I read the original book so reading this graphic novel adaptation was a bit of a nostalgic experience.

A boy's Grandmother teaches him how to identify witches, a skill he thinks he'll never need... until he does. Overhearing the Grand High Witches plot to rid the country of children he must find a way to stop them!

The artwork is fantastic and is easy to follow while maintaining the great qualities of the original book. I recommend this one for any Roald Dahl fans and
Mrs. Mazzola
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting and revamped version of the classic Dahl story. I like that the story feels updated in the details and art, but still retains the same creepy, scary, horrifyingly funny quality of the original. Graphic novel adaptations do not circulate well in my library, so I will only purchase if excess funds are available.

E ARC provided by Edelweiss+ and the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is so fun & funny! A wonderful 2020 adaptation of my favorite Roald Dahl story, originally written in 1983. There are so many expressive jokes woven into the art panels! (The Witches give the Grand High Witch's theatrics a lot of side-eye.)

Minus one star because the Grand High Witch has lost her memorable accent. I still wanted a "Vitches of Inkland!" moment.
Stacey Weeks
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love that they have begun making Roald Dahl books into graphic novels! This story is just as charming and funny as I remember it being. Although, did the grandma smoke so much in the original?? Children will love the bright, fun pictures and adults will appreciate the memories of reading the original! I also appreciated the addition of a little adult humor that will likely go over most kids heads!
Sherry Guice
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The the story and it was so enhanced by the graphics!!! I hope this draws children to Roald Dahl's work! I believe it is timeless.
Jazmyn Dolbin
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super fun way to read one of my.childhood faves.
Harley
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome
Erin
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Penelope Bagieu’s storytelling and illustration style does this story such wonderful justice!
Caitlin
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A really beautiful version of a beloved classic from my childhood. I adored the illustrations and the Granny was so wonderful! Definitely my spirit character!
Tracy
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, I never read the original, but I did watch the movie when I was younger and man this was pretty well done..and spooky! ...more
Kathy Mathey
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous!
Peacegal
Dec 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The classic spooky adventure gets the graphic novel treatment. This story of a brave kid, a sassy grandma, and their fight to defeat a parliament of witches bent on turning the world's children into mice is full of adventure, humor, and creativity. ...more
The Reading Countess
I’ve not read the original, so perhaps this rating is unfair. It’s a quick read that will encourage reluctant readers.
Lisa
Jun 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-and-g
This graphic novel worked well as a way to introduce an "early in reading" reader to The Witches. ...more
Raemie
Apr 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
a little bit of everything.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• La Maison aux 52 portes
  • French Lover (Lincoln, #6)
  • Sex and the Series
  • 血の轍 6 [Chi no Wadachi 6] (Blood on the Tracks, #6)
  • Premières répressions (Les Enfants de la Résistance, #2)
  • Elma, a bear's life - Volume 1 - The Great Journey (Elma - A Bear's Life)
  • In Italia sono tutti maschi
  • How to Catch a Dinosaur
  • Idéal Standard
  • Frozen Olaf's Night Before Christmas Book  CD
  • Radium Girls
  • Bienvenue à Pandorient (La Boîte à musique, #1)
  • C'est comme ça que je disparais
Pénélope Bagieu, (born 22 January 1982 Paris), is a French illustrator and comic designer. She became known for her comic blog My quite fascinating life.

Penelope Bagieu graduated with a bachelor's degree in Economic and Social studies, she spent a year at ESAT Paris, then at the National School of Decorative Arts in Paris and then at Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design. Multimedia and en

News & Interviews