Start by marking “Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)

Hard Time

(The Time Police #2)

Team Weird are back causing havoc in the Time Police in this irresistible spin-off series by international bestseller Jodi Taylor, author of The Chronicles of St Mary's. If you love Doctor Who, Ben Aaronovitch and Jasper Fforde, you'll love the Time Police.

A time slip in Versailles, problems in the Ice Age and illegal time travellers in need of rescue. Must be a job for th
Published October 15th 2020 by Headline

Start your review of Hard Time (The Time Police, #2)
Bonnie DeMoss
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing book by Jodi Taylor! I truly enjoy everything she writes. Hard Time is the second book in The Time Police series, a spinoff of Taylor's wildly popular Chronicles of St. Mary's series.

A prominent politician has asked the Time Police to retrieve her spoiled daughter after an illegal time jump. Enter Matthew, Jane, and Luke (Team Weird), who are once again off on a chaotic and sometimes humorous adventure. And, as usual, they find more than they bargained for.

I continue to love rea
Lou
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard Time is the second book in The Time Police series, a spinoff of Taylor's wildly popular Chronicles of St. Mary's series and is undoubtedly one of the most fun and entertaining books for adults that I have ever read; reading this reminded me just how rare lighthearted, fast-flowing and superbly written science fiction actually is. It's preferable to have read the first instalment before this one but as the core of the story is self-contained it’s not a necessity as enough background is provi ...more
Alison
Four and a half stars.

Jodi Taylor really knocked it out of the park with this one!

Luke, Jane and Matthew make up team 236, not very affectionately known as Team Weird by the other Time Police teams. As their training draws to a close they are expected to express an interest in which department they want to join after graduation but none of them seems to have a clue.

Then a politician's daughter goes on an illegal trip to the seventeenth century and gets stranded, a girl Luke once dated, and Team
Jacey
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the St Mary's spin off series featuring Luke, Jane and Matthew (who is the son of Max Maxwell and Leon Farrell from St Mary's). The three of them are still trainee Time Police officers, known as Team Weird for their unorthodox ways of tackling situations that alternately drive Commander Hay slightly bonkers, while actually appreciating their originality (though she'd never tell them that, of course). This time they are sent to the seventeenth century to rescue a politician's d ...more
Brian Clegg
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jodi Taylor has had a lot of success with her Chronicles of St Mary's series, time travel adventures with a quirky sense of humour. Those books feature St Mary's, a sort of university history department with no teaching, which investigates through time travel, with staff that are more like the staff of Hogwarts than any real university.
I enjoyed Plan for the Worst in that series, but found the constant juvenile jokey behaviour of the staff irritating. Here, in the second of a spin-off series, T
Debra
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook narrated by Zara Ramm in this Audible original full of humor, history and mayhem. Just don't call it time travel!

This spin-off from the Chronicles of St Mary's is just as much fun. Just do yourself a favor and read Time Police #1, Doing Time, before you read Hard Time.
Boosmummy
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it 🍾 our favourite TP team in trouble, then back out again by the skin of their teeth 😅 definitely a winner in my books.
Becky'sBookBlog
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-favourites
I love me a good literary squad and team 236 or as they’re affectionately know ‘team weird’ are becoming a firm favourite. Luke, Jane and Matthew certainly don’t fit in with the ‘regulation’ style Time Police, but you can’t say they’re not effective. As their training is coming to an end they are all expected to choose which division of the Time Police they want to apply for, but they are a little reluctant to leave one another. Luckily a distraction comes in the stranding of a Politicians daugh ...more
Kath
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book in this series and then, because that piqued my interest, started on the series that this is a spin off from - The Chronicles of St Mary's. I am currently on book four of that and blooming loving it! I don't think not having read that first impaired my enjoyment of Doing Time or this book but I do recommend, if you haven't already, then you might like to fill in a few gaps with the parent series.
So... team weird is back. Or as they prefer to call themselves; Luke, Jane and
Rachel
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Q O T D. Are there any authors you exclusively buy just on audiobook? Believe it or not, 12 books and 14 novellas later up until I received the ARC (massive, massive thanks to @headlinebooks & @netgalley by the way) for Hard Time I’d never, ever read a Jodi Taylor Book. The Chronicles of St. Mary’s are one of my all time favourite, most re-read adult series but I’ve always, exclusively had them in audiobook read by the wonderful Zara Ramm. Needless to say I’ll still be ordering my audiobook on p ...more
Philippa
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book from Netgalley – thank you to Jodi Taylor and Headline.

I cannot tell you how chuffed I was to get an advanced copy of this novel, as Jodi Taylor is one of my favourite authors and I’ve got to the point where I’d buy her book without reading the blurb. I have read all the St Mary’s books, and thoroughly enjoyed Doing Time earlier this year.

I believe that Jodi Taylor gets better with every book she writes and the last five or six I’ve read of hers are exemplary; this is no
Maria
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant, it has humor, action, an interesting plot and some weird characters that has made this book one of my favorite reads for this 2020.
I am ashamed to admit that I didn’t read any of the previous series created by Jodi Taylor, but this will be mended soon, I already ordered the first book of this series and as soon as the next one will be available I’ll buy it, this much I loved this book
You may ask why this book is so amazing. First of all, the plot is different, a police bu
Zara Wimperis
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shannon
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Team Weird are back! And causing some fire trucking mayhem! All before they have even finished their training. Three weeks to go before Team 236 finish their grunt work and become fully fledged members of the Time Police (those utter bastards) they are sent on a hush hush mission to retrieve the spoiled daughter of a ferocious MP with pull who also happens to be Luke's ex. Things spiral from there. Luke and Jane end up on an undercover operation cut off from help while Mathew is left holding the ...more
Berni Phillips
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Taylor is one of the few authors that I truly find funny. Her Chronicles of St. Mary's is both funny and heart-wrenching. This spinoff about the Time Police is just funny, fortunately.

Team 236, aka Team Weird is back. Matthew Farrell, the son of Dr. Maxwell and Leon Farrell of the St. Mary's Institute, Jane Lockland, the mousy woman who can surprise you, and Luke Parrish, the irresponsible playboy, are nearing the end of their training period and must soon choose in which area they want to work.
Shannon
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nicole
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of Jodi Taylor's biggest complaints is that she spends months writing her books and then we the reader gobble them up and read them in just a few hours. All I can say is, guilty as charged. In my defence, I honestly didn't mean to read it so fast. I planned to keep it and read it during my holiday. But as you can see..I didn't. I started with he Dramatis Thingumy...and laughed and read on - by the time I had gone to bed I was half way through...at about 2 am I put the book down...but my brai ...more
Vivienne
My thanks to Headline for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Hard Time’ by Jodi Taylor in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second in her Time Police series, which itself is a spinoff of her very popular Chronicles of St. Mary’s. Both series involve time travel and are very funny. I enjoyed ‘Doing Time’ and felt that ‘Hard Time’ was even better as I was already familiar with the characters and premise. I would suggest that the books are read in order.

I am wary of spoilers, so will give only a ve
Suzie
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
(I received this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

Team Weird are back!

What initially appears to be a straightforward rescue mission reveals itself to be a part of an illegal time-travelling ring which Team 236 get dragged into.

Luke, Jane and Matthew are still trainees with the Time Police, albeit within their last month or so of training. When they are asked to participate in a rescue of an illegal, it turns out that said illegal is one of Luke's ex's. Oh t
Eva Belliston
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard Time takes it to the next level.

I love Jodi Taylor's happy bunch of misfits. Team Weird makes another foray into a world where what you see is definitely not what you get. The little heroes that could find themselves involved in a murky place where money makes right and the technology to abuse others is available to anyone willing to make the payout.

Team Weird develops some character depth on this outing. You see Jane as more than the lackey her grandmother wanted her to be. Parrish discov
Annie
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-counts-too
Jodi Taylor is firetruckin brilliant! Perfect example is how she takes a bit of creative cursing: "We don’t use that sort of language here. We prefer the term fire truck. You know– starts with f and ends in uck." Then proceeds to weave that into a story full of adventure and character development.

I like how its still in the world she's created in The Chronicle's of Saint
Mary's but tells it from another perspective. Although I'm always waiting for St Mary's to show up. Which definitely didn'
Fleeno
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Against all odds Team Weird are about to finish their training, but before they do they need to get into deep fire trucking poo for one last time. There are so many things I love about Taylor's writing and characters - the humour, the tasters of history, the witty dialogue - but the thing that struck me this book was how much I  love the relationships between characters and the friendships. I love that she has men and women working together with great banter, just how real friendships are. So ma ...more
Barbara Negus
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A qualified 5*

As expected and as usual a rollicking good story with fleshed out believable characters. And with their back stories being hinted at leaving fans and readers begging for more.I

Zara Ramm, as usual provides the voice of both Time Police and St Mary's as no one else can.

However, the 'qualified 5 *' is due to the editing faults. Probably due to the unprecedented ( Oh God, did I use that most over used word of 2020?),, there are stumbles, missed and changed words and repetitions. More a
Bob Collins
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Taylor never ceases to delight

The second book in the Chronicles of St. Mary’s spin-off series (and spin it does), about the Time Police. Unlike the historians of St. Mary’s, the Time Police do engage in Time Travel - St. Mary’s historians study historical events in real time, but never, ever call it time travel - mostly (getting back to the Time Police) in an effort to prevent anyone else from engaging in Time Travel and unraveling history and reality as we know it (except for the historian
Nicola Gregory
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another gem!

I am loving this spinoff series. There are some absolutely wonderful little moments (such as the name of the online retailer, and Luke's interactions with the TP AI - does Ms Taylor own a Smart Assistant by any chance!) And then there is the usual rollercoaster of emotions up to and including heartbreak and hysterical laughter.
There is clearly room for more stories in this series - there is at least one dangling unresolved thread at the end of this one - and I may have to add a 236
Rex Roberts
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Follow up

When I started the Time Police series, it wasn’t clear whether this was going to be a stark change to St. Mary’s, which would have come with a slew of acceptances, or a hybrid of the two. The latter won. This second book makes the Time Police and our three heroes, such as they are, a very fun and enjoyable complement to this time traveling universe. The story kept me up three straight nights (how I got through that presentation I do not know) and I am now waiting on book three
Annette
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Team Weird returns in this sequel to Doing Time, and they're just as... well... weird as last time! Now nearing the end of their training, they are given a new mission. Can they survive to see it through?

Jodi Taylor has succeeded yet again in creating characters we can love, hate, and wish to be dumped in the depths of history without a pod. The storyline is hilarious and heart-breaking in turns, and leaves some intriguing loose ends which will hopefully be tied up in the next book.
Jen
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-favorites
Another brilliant read from Jodi Taylor
Got it in Hardback and audio form, so that I didn't have to stop reading on my commute, I just couldn't put this book down!
It's rare that a spin-off or 'next generation' series manages to capture the same magic as the original - but the Time Police books are just as fun and imaginative and addictive as St Mary's. I'm so glad to have this other view on this universe we love.

5* thank you for another awesome read :)
Zacharias
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Damn, I finished another one of Jodies Books and I loved it

The first thing you need to know, the Time Police humour is different than the St. Mary‘s humour. I love both and the good thing is, you‘ll have some of both kinds.

I had more than a good laugh and I hope for some romance in future books. There are three, maybe four pairings I can imagine. And I love to see how Team Weird continuous on their journey through time.

Lee Thames
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyber-technology
I was hesitant to try this "St. Mary's" spin-off. The first book was good and the second book as good, if not better. Congrats Ms. Taylor.

However, Ms. Taylor has a problem. What to do with Matthew Farrell. He's partially still in St. Mary's and it just will not work out long term. And there is only so much you can do with the Time Map.

I await eagerly to see how she resolves Mr. Farrell and the further adventures of Luke and Jane.

• Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Hamnet
  • A Bachelor Establishment
  • Egomaniac
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • Dark Harmony (The Bargainer, #3)
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • At Freddie's
  • The New Plant Parent: Develop Your Green Thumb and Care for Your House-Plant Family
  • Decorating with Plants: What to Choose, Ways to Style, and How to Make Them Thrive
  • Once Upon a Chef, the Cookbook: 100 Tested, Perfected, and Family-Approved Recipes (Easy Healthy Cookbook, Family Cookbook, American Cookbook)
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Yellow Crocus
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Time Police (2 books)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)