Start by marking “Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force Book 9)” as Want to Read:
Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force Book 9)

Valkyrie

(Expeditionary Force #9)

After saving the world many times, the Merry Band of Pirates have accepted the inevitable: Earth is doomed. All they can do is try to bring a few thousand people to safety, before vicious aliens arrive to destroy humanity's homeworld. No. There is one other thing they can do: hit the enemy so hard that the aliens will regret they ever heard of humans.
Published December 19th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Valkyrie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valkyrie

Start your review of Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force Book 9)
Tyler
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
What a letdown.

I've loved pretty much every exfor novel, the endings have all been an equal mix of hopeful and suspenseful. This book, however, has the most abrupt, phone-in ending of any book I may ever have read.
The author provides about 3 pages of exposition "answering all of our questions", then f***s over everybody in about 1 page, ends the book, and then he writes about 10 pages of self-aggrandizing bulls**t author's notes.

Basically, instead of a payoff, Alanson pulls the rug out from
Sgt Maj
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Author put himself in a no-win. Shmaybe a Two but enjoyed First Half

I’ve read whole series and have enjoyed it. But the author kinda did himself in with ending.

The cliff hanger ending isn’t right.

It’s extreme and out of character from previous eight books.

Doesn’t feel right nor was it well done.

No problem with going with the twist and turn. But the ending was poorly done, especially considering how much scientific dialogue we go through from previous books. In the space of a medium dialogue
Jared McIntyre
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cliffhanger

I have been reading this series in the hopes that humans would eventually be able to actually develop their own tech. And once again I am let down.

I am also seriously angry about the ending. I would never have read this book had I known beforehand.

In my opinion it’s time to just let this series go by the way side.
Nicole Rebentisch
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Craig, take some time off and write a better book!

This book is a continuation of the downward spiral of book 8. Not sure what else to say other than the second half of the book should not have been written. I also was able to skip a whole chapter and I didn’t miss out on anything. I skipped it because it was too painful to read. Unlike others I do not have an issue with skippy’s choice in the end, however there most definitely should have been a more complete way to end the book.

So in my perfect
Dav Roth
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author really hit the bottom on this one. Not bad writing but seemingly unedited. New interesting kitty character that might finally move this glacial plot forward.. character disappears.. Banter is getting old.. less of it than last book.. but still. The "exciting rescue" in the last third of the book was just tedious to read... skip over pages tedious... Samwise and Frodo in the swamp tedious. Yeah. Book goes out on The Big Revelation and Cliffhanger.. At this point I just don't care... ...more
Charles Brown
Dec 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
What???

That has to be the laziest ending I have read in the last decade by a wide margin. Just dumb.
Mike Crate
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WTF and You've got to be kidding me!

Those were my initial responses to reading the last few lines of the 9th novel of the excellent Expeditionary Force series written by Craig Alanson. Many a time a TV show has left you with a season finale cliffhanger that has you cursing the writers and producers but it's rare in a novel but Craig has managed to do so with Valkyrie. Naturally I am intensely interested in how our favoured characters are going to get out of this situation but it really did put a
Phillip Wyrick
A brutal slog with an unnecessary cliffhanger ending.

It's hard to believe I've read 10+ of these books (including spin offs). Sadly, the story has become stale after recycling the same few concepts over and over again: witty banter (for pages and pages) between Joe and Skippy, the constant will they or won't they between Joe and Adams, pages and pages of dialogue and over-exposition, etc.

Somewhere in this overly long series is a decent storyline, but as i said before, its stale. I'm tired of
Jeremy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The first half of the book was great, then our favorite group of pirates sees a squirrel and gets distracted for the rest of the book.

We then get snapped back to the overall plot with a huge info dump at the end and are left with a huge cliffhanger.

Could have used a lot less detail on the distraction mission and ended with less of a cliffhanger.

Feels like a low point in the serries by its self I would wait until book 10 is almost out before picking up. Just due to the size of the cliffhanger.
Sean Sheldon
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What the f just happened?

Seriously, whiskey tango foxtrot?!?!?!?! How? Why? What? I am lost! I have no idea what's happening? How could you end the book like that? Damn you! Write faster, please! I beg you!
Joe Decer
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
This series has begun to really stretch out. I suggest you save your time and just read the last 10 pages. Nothing else in this book seems to have any importance.
I felt very familiar with the repetitive challenges, solutions, and rants that Craig fluffs this book with.
Also, I am quite frustrated with the solution to every problem being some fiddly doo that was never thought of before.... It was novel and exciting, at first, but now it feels like lazy writing.
I really love these
Heavy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Lack of planned plot finally catching up

The last books in the series have become repetitive and the author has by careless world building painted himself into a corner. This book is a 99% repeat of the last books plus an desperate plot twist in the end by the author to escape his badly planned world building.
Bob Gonzalez
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Well if Ol'Craig really wanted to be Super Awesome Avant Garde, cutting edge, deserving of one star status, he got my vote. I, like the rest of you suckers have read all his 10 plus, novella included books.
Sure some of the books seem to recycle the ususal banter between Bishop and Skippy, but that's normal. Like the drunk uncle that shows up every Thanksgiving and totally makes an ass out of himself at the dinner table. It's to be expected. In fact it wouldn't be Thanksgiving dinner without his
Richard
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
There book was great, although I'm not sure how I feel about the ending... It seems like it will be hard to come back from that. In my opinion, it would have been more interesting if they took the turn of sharing all their new found knowledge. I'll read the next book if there is one, but again, I'm not sure how they will be able to come back from that ending...
Ankit Pyasi
Karl R Eisenmenger
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I think Craig got a little lost writing this one. The second half was a whole separate plot, making the book a long read, but still enjoyable. Then the ending. WTF!!!!!! I think Craig got tired of writing so he came up with a horrible very short WTF!!!!! I stayed up late to finish it, and then could not sleep as I was so pissed at the ending. It would be a 5 star, but the ending drops it to a 2.
Pétur Eyþórsson
More of the same
Ralph Folkes
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Don't read this book

Untill the next book comes out as you will probably end up as pissed as me thinking you will have to wait...
Fred Wagner
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing addition to the Expeditionary Force series. In some ways, sure, it was much of the same, though in different ways or by differing means if that makes sense. One thing which was of notable difference (perhaps at the bequest of numerous reviewers) was a lessening of the childish manner of the "abusive banter" between Skippy and Joe. Notably the way and through specific language on the part of Skippy. And so this particular book started out in a fashion which seemed to put Joe ...more
Dawn Ross
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Valkyrie is Craig Alanson’s best novel in the Expeditionary Force Series. Get ready for more humor and more creative problem-solving. Then hold on to your pants for the last quarter or so of the story. It has even more awesomeness than usual, especially the cliffhanging ending.

This ninth book in the series is a little different than the others. Instead of little steps leading to the conclusion of an adventure, it’s really two separate adventures. In the first adventure, Joe Bishop is resigned to
Leeland Artra
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
* DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! * The ending is so bad even R. C. Bray's narration fell flat as he realized what he had to read. If you've read the series to this point hold this one to the side and pretend it doesn't exist until the next one comes out. Frankly, even when the next one comes out you might be able to skip this book. Craig does so much exposition in every book you'll know what happened in this one without dealing with the pain.

What is wrong? Let me sum up:

1. The first third is nothing but
Josh Obenchain
The cliffhanger was bullsh** as many others have said. Most of the book was useless and did nothing for the plot.

Now for a quick discussion about the cliff hanger.
(view spoiler)
The Legend
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Just Wow...

I could go into a long explanation about how great the book is and banter, how one wonders why Bishop's final plan in case of emergency isn't to threaten that if the Rotten Kitties blow up earth that the Merry Band of Pirates will used Elder weapons to bring the Sentinels back to destroy their worlds as mutually assured destruction, or nit pick a million things but I personally still find these books amazingly fun.

I might be a bit Bias because I listen to the Audiobooks and R.C
Marko Porobija
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard one to write. On one hand, if you go through this book without fresh memories of what was happening in previous sequels, it is definitely the weirdest book in the series. Although most people say something in line of “more of the same”, I tend to disagree. Moreover, since I did a full relisten of the whole series before listening to Valkyrie, it sheds a different light on the whole experience.

There is no point in trying to understand this book as anything else than a part of the
Tarik Ghiradella
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, what is going on? OMG, Skippy! What the hell, Dude?

I listen to this series because I love the back and forth between Joe and Skippy. There is no shortage of that banter in this book.
It's great and I laughed out loud dozens of times making those around me wonder what the hell is wrong with me, LOL.

Aside for the fun and entertaining dialogue, for a change, the story actually moves forward in this book. There were some confusing and meandering moments that could have been fixed with proper
Joshua Giles
I've never seen an author take for granted their reader's like Alanson has done on the 9th books of a series... This book felt like a new author still figuring out the direction they wanted to take a series. Not a book that is 9 books deep in a series.

The first half of the book felt and read like their was direction and logical plot development, but then the second half felt lazy and rushed. It was like the Alanson decided not to do any actual critical thinking but instead write filler that only
Pat Doherty
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
what an ending

Love Craig's books! Lots of action lots of personal interacting. But that Ending is a total cliffhanger my god. I hope there are more books coming soon (yes soon please). I have never finished one of Craig's books and had to worry about what's going to happen to all my friends. Everyone's in danger, right in the middle of life and death situations. Skippy! Holy cow! YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD! What Are You Doing. You just need to read volume 9 to see what I'm talking about.
Alanson
Josh
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been a huge fan of this series since book 1, and while some books have been better than others, this is the worst book in the series. I loved the first half of the book, great comedy, good action, and overall good feelings. The second half of the book was boring, irrelevant, and pointless. It felt like filler to make the book longer. Overall, I'm giving this book 3 stars because I enjoyed the first half so much.

As you can tell by my review, my grammar is terrible, so someone's writing has
Craig Dean
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t agree with the down-voters. You can’t just give your protagonists everything they want - to live happy ever after. Yes, there’s plenty of pandering to Alanson’s audience, and it’s what we come back for - those comfortable worn slippers. However, Alanson’s talent is meeting those desires whilst still throwing up enough challenges and curve balls to keep it interesting; and I think he achieves that seemingly impossible feat with some skill.

Yes the end is a little rushed, but it sets us up
Razvan Rogoz
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant ending.

An ending is supposed to give you a sense of resolution, of completion... or to shock you, make you think or leave you a bit disturbed.

This is in the second category. It is a very “wtf” ending and now I’m looking forward to the next book.

This is the most effective pattern interrupt I’ve seen in a piece of written fiction in years. It’s the equivalent of enjoying a nice evening at home watching Netflix and then having armed thugs break the door and hold you at gun point.

It’s
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Glass World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 13)
  • The Originator Wars Explorations: The Lost: A Lost Fleet Novel
  • Attack Plan Alpha (Blood on the Stars Book 16)
  • Empire's Ashes (Blood on the Stars #15)
  • Archangel Rising (Archangel One, #2)
  • Return of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes, #13)
  • SADEs (The Silver Ships, #15)
  • Ship Wrecked III
  • The Silent Fleet: A Military Scifi Epic (The Messenger Book 4)
  • Harbinger (First Colony Book 9)
  • Star Rage (Stars End #3)
  • Star Fall (Stars End Book 4)
  • Crusade (Exile Book 3)
  • Their Last Full Measure (A Learning Experience, #6)
  • Worm (Parahumans, #1)
  • Clone World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 12)
  • The Laws of Human Nature
  • Shadowmagic (Shadowmagic, #1)

Expeditionary Force (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Trouble on Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3.5)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force, #8)
“The test will involve me allowing the native AI to think certain ship systems are vulnerable, and seeing if it attacks.” “That actually does not sound like a great idea, Skippy.” “It is totally a brilliant idea, numbskull. I said it will think that systems are vulnerable. It will not really have access to those systems. The purpose of the test is to see what happens. Will it respond to commands, or will it cooperate like a nice AI?” 0 likes
“When I was a little kid, something like that happened more than once, because of our dog. In the winter, he liked to sleep on my bed, snuggled up against me. It was nice to have a warm companion on a freezing cold night, except when he got up, turned around and flopped down half on top of me, or took up part of my pillow. When he did that, I couldn’t turn over without tugging the sheet too tight around my neck, so I would have to get half out of bed, shove him out of the way, and hope I could get back to sleep. That was a pain in the neck, literally. Man, I loved that dog.” 0 likes