Start by marking “Snemanden: En ny historie inspireret af den originale klassiker af Raymond Briggs” as Want to Read:

Jacob vågner en morgen og ser, at det er begyndt at sne. Han løber ud i haven og går straks i gang med at bygge en snemand. Natten efter vågner han fra en drøm og får lyst til at se sit mesterstykke. Men til Jacobs store overraskelse står Snemanden ikke længere på sin plads ude i haven, og det bliver starten på et magisk eventyr ...
Hardcover, 1. udgave, 138 pages
Published 2019 by Carlsen

To ask other readers questions about Snemanden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snemanden

Start your review of Snemanden: En ny historie inspireret af den originale klassiker af Raymond Briggs
Carla Johnson-Hicks
When I saw this book, I thought there must be a mistake, how can you write a story to this beautiful, timeless, classic, wordless book. I should not have been worried, Michael Morpurgo has never disappointed before and he did not this time. I loved that he got permission from Raymond Briggs before writing this novella. This is a delightful book, drawing on Raymond Briggs' wonderful illustrated, wordless story, The Snowman. Using some inspiration from the Channel 4 movie, and adding some bits and ...more
Allison Tebo
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I was betrayed by the ending, so only three stars for the book. It was adorable up until the last page. :/

But 10 stars for Richard Armitage's magical narration.
Faith Spinks
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely retelling of the classic Raymond Briggs Snowman cartoon book. Sebastian is loving it too.
Andrew
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
So close to a five star as nothing will compare to Raymond Brigg’s classic.

Review taken from The Pewter Wolf and eProof was given by UK publisher, Puffin, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Andrew, we are in September. Why on earth are you reading a Christmas novella? And a retelling of a well known Christmas classic? have you COMPLETELY lost the plot?

I am imagining you are all thinking this. Don’t say you’re not. I love Christmas. I love Bonfire Night and Halloween (well… in
Katy Noyes
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morpurgo fills out the backstory of a Christmas perennial.

I am part of the generation who has watched The Snowman every Christmas since my memories begin. It's a part of my childhood, now part of my own children's, and we have both the original wordless comic strip book and the TV adaptation version. So yes - fans.

Morpurgo is a name I usually read when I see a new book by him, I've enjoyed many of his reimagined fairy tales in recent years, so I was happy to try this.

As is often the case, the
Kay
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, library-books
Quick little audio book this afternoon such a great story and Richard Armitage voice is amazing so soothing.
Kelly
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter is a massive fan of Michael Morpurgo so when I saw that he had released a new re-imagined version of The Snowman I had to buy a copy so both my daughter and myself could read it.

I grew up with the beautiful story of The Snowman and reading this lovely story took me back to my memories of reading the original as a child in the lead up to Christmas.

This is a beautiful story that is wonderfully interwoven with the original to ensure that the story of The Snowman released 40 years ago
Hayley
I’m a huge fan of Raymond Briggs’ The Snowman – I remember reading the picture book in the library as a young child, and I have such a fondness for the film adaptation that’s on TV every year. I can’t resist watching it even now as a grown adult! So when I heard that Michael Morpurgo was writing a novella based on the original book of The Snowman I was super intrigued and knew I had to get my hands on a copy! I’m so happy to say that I really enjoyed it!

The Snowman story is very similar to the
Michael Tweed
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magical.
Tanya
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely charming and delightful book, drawing on Raymond Briggs' wonderful illustrated, wordless story, The Snowman which so many of us have read and watched multiple times over the years - indeed Christmas isn't Christmas to me without hearing Walking In The Air and reading or watching the story!

Sir Michael Morpurgo has taken the original story as drawn by Briggs, added Christmas essences from the Channel 4 film and added Morpurgo magic! The idea that a child might be lonely and
Jess
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This review was originally posted on my blog ladybookdragon.com.

Firstly, I have a confession, I have never read The Snowman by Raymond Briggs but I have watched it on television many, many times. I have only seen The Snowman and the Snowdog once and it almost destroyed me emotionally so I have never seen it again. So when I saw this book sat on the supermarket shelf I immediately picked it up. I was a little worried as I always fear rewrites as most of the time they are never as good as the
Chrissi
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aw. The Snowman! I absolutely loved the picture book and the movie growing up. It’s still a story that has a very special place in my heart. When I heard that Michael Morpurgo was writing a story inspired by the original story, I was very excited to get my hands on a copy. I really enjoy reading Michael Morpurgo and I knew that he would do well with this story. He really did. It’s such a Christmas classic and Michael Morpurgo’s words really complement this wonderful story.

James wakes up on
I'mogén
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely one sitting read. Perfect for this time of year and completed one of my #TisTheSeasonAThon challenges too!
I adored this retelling as it included the backstory of James. The fact that he struggled with a stammer, which left him teased at school and feeling friendless was a really interesting addition and I appreciated how it was dealt with and shown that once you surround yourself with those that love you, you begin to love yourself and can overcome anything!
I haven't read the
Ioanna
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

James is excited to see the first snow of Christmas fall. He quickly gets up, goes out on the farm and builds his very own snowman! And this is a snowman he takes good care of, hardly being able to leave him when time for bed comes. But when James wakes up in the middle of the night, his snowman has come to life, and the two of them are ready for adventure!

This is an adorable, sweet little story
Hayley
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Snowman is my all time Christmas favourite watch. When I saw that a book had been written, based on it I was prepared to hate it and wouldn’t have been even remotely tempted to read except that it was by Michael Morpurgo. I love what he has done with it. There are no huge surprises it is remarkably close to the original (tv film not book). But there are added details which just really bring this story to life. The first time it described the Snowman as talking I could feel myself starting to ...more
Chrissie Webb
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morpurgo does a wonderful job in his charming retelling of the much-loved enchanting classic by Raymond Briggs.

The illustrations by Robin Shaw were beautiful and aligned perfectly with the originals from Briggs' picture book.

I have fond memories from watching the original adaptation on my families old boxy computer every year when my parents wanted me out of the way to decorate for Christmas. Though I say 'fond' I was always left in floods of tears at the Snowman's departure. Had this book or
Charlotte (Escapades of a Bookworm)
When I saw this book, a retelling of The Snowman my go to Christmas book, my heart leapt into my mouth with excitement. I love Raymond Briggs originally storybook with its beautiful pictures and Christmassy atmosphere. I was intrigued to see how Michael would deal with this story.

The Snowman is inspired not only by the original but also by the movie and other bits and bobs. Yet despite the modernisation it is still a classic waiting to be consumed.

The illustrations dotted throughout the book add
Sam Young
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Other reviewers say this is a retelling of Raymond Briggs’ The Snowman but he’s original story has no words. Michael Morpurgo tells the story to us as he sees the story, with a little extra.
Michael starts with a little back story, telling us about James and his family. He keeps it simple but everything you need to know is there. Before you know it he is narrating the boy and the Snowman’s adventure.
I felt the magic of this story as I had originally all those years ago. I especially like the
Nicole
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forty years ago a bit built a snowman who came alive and they had an adventure.
This new story inspired by Raymond Briggs' original runs along the same vein. James has a stutter which stops him talking much but when his snowman comes to life & takes him to the North Pole to meet Father Christmas he finds by the time He goes home his stutter has gone.
The happy twist in this take us that James' Grandma who is staying for Christmas sees the snowman alive & even goes for a fly around the
Bookwormandtheatremouse
This is a wonderful novella of The Snowman - not written to be the same but written to be an interpretation of that classic that so many of us enjoy every Christmas. This was created with the blessing of Raymond Briggs and as it is penned by Michael Morpurgo it brings together the work of two men who have entertained children with their stories for many years. I adored every festive page of this book - and all the lovely illustrations bring it all to life. You may shed a little tear but it is ...more
Judith Graham
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an Audio book version I listened to on the M40 and what a joy it was. Narrated by the wonderful Richard Armitage, it was inspired by The Snowman by Raymond Briggs and I (and a colleague) thoroughly enjoyed.
I could visualise the story going on and had a lovely picture of grandma flying. All the voices he did all (as usual) sounded different and grandma was funny.
Still made me sniff a bit at the end. Give your ears a treat great.
Liesl
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Absolutely does the magic of the original justice. The story is broadly the same, but a few details have been tweaked in a way that I think enhances the tale for the better (I loved the detail of giving James a stammer, for instance). A perfect read to get in the mood for Christmas.

Thank you Netgalley for giving me an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
Brid
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely Christmas story. I can't wait to read it with my class in the run up to the Christmas holidays. I know they'll be as enchanted as I was. All the magic of the original story and fill is present in this reworking by Michael Morpurgo.

I received an advance copy of this story from Penguin Publishers.
Jonathan
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
If you want an old fashioned Christmas story for over fives (or so) to read over a few nights then this is a fine expanded version of Raymond Briggs's classic The Snowman. Being a big fan of Briggs it doesn't really do a lot for me, but I can see that it would be a good family alternative for those smaller people who are between the two ages of picture book appreciation.
Ami Michelle
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morpurgo has really brought alive Briggs' story alive in this novella. It is a beautiful story about a lonely little boy with a stutter who is craving friendship which he finds with his best friend the snowman.

The story is completely magical with hidden depths surrounding James. I will definitely be buying and reading this to my children this Christmas!
Sophie The Small
I agree that nothing can compare with the original but Michael Morpurgo has only gone and made me love The Snowman even more than I already do.

The Snowman is built by James, who lives on a farm in Devon who is able to find his voice and confidence through his snowy friend who takes him on an adventure on Christmas Eve.

The ending always gets to me through :(
Jackie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This must have been so tricky to write, as the traditional story is such a classic. I think this is a perfect new version of this household favourite- wonderful story with wonderful illustrations. Loved it!! Well crafted to include gorgeous grandma.
Sandra Tait
Michael Morpurgo has taken an already amazing children's classic and given it words and depth of Christmas meaning! A must for every child's stocking and a great encouragement to any child with a problem with stuttering. Of course, I love the grandmother's appearance too!
Clare
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars.

This book is so cute, and a perfect step up for young readers who want a little challenge.

Nothing will compare to the original picture book, but this is certainly deserving of its own praise.

I loved it.
Samfriday
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful re-telling of the classic story. Can’t wait to share with my kids, they will love the little details (our dog is called Bertie and my daughters favourite colour is orange too!).
Fabulous festive read

• The Night I Met Father Christmas
  • The Christmasaurus
  • The Snowman
  • The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • Snowflakes and Cinnamon Swirls at the Winter Wonderland
  • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • A Pinch of Magic
  • The Ice Monster
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Skylarks’ War
  • Miss Marley: The Untold Story of Jacob Marley’s Sister
  • Proud
  • A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • Nokkens jul (Troldeliv, #11)
  • Mog's Christmas
Sir Michael Andrew Morpurgo, OBE, FRSL is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, ...more