Start by marking “Heroes Wanted: A Fantasy Anthology” as Want to Read:
Heroes Wanted: A Fantasy Anthology

Heroes Wanted: A Fantasy Anthology

“What do you think a hero is? It’s just the right person in the right place making the right choice at the right time. Heroes aren’t born. They’re made.”

A demonic assassin. A half-orc boxer. A ratman necromancer. Though they take many different shapes and forms, there are heroes all around us.

Bravery can be found in the most unexpected places: a subterranean dwarven
Published November 29th 2019 by Terrible Ten

To ask other readers questions about Heroes Wanted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes Wanted

Start your review of Heroes Wanted: A Fantasy Anthology
Michael
Nov 30, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
People know I don't review my own books (and I do have a short story in this anthology. But I will use this to update you about this title.

Update 12/08/19:Amazon had a glitch and the book got set to $0.99 for a short time, but it's back to free now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Update 12/06/19:Book has been set to free! It's available at Amazon, iBooks, Kobo, Google Play and should be live on B&N's nook soon. Go grab a copy - it's already ranked #41 in the entire free store (which is hundreds
Lukasz
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75/5

I'll try to write a longer review soon, but it's an excellent anthology. It gives a taste of various styles and narratives so that every reader will find enjoyable stories.

I loved two, enjoyed most of them, didn't care about a few.

The two stories that stood out for me are All Ends by Quenby Olson and Ratman by Laura M. Hughes. The first shines thanks to the gorgeous prose and unique atmosphere. The second is darkly funny and entertaining. Both are brilliant. You should get Heroes Wanted
Adam
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm at a bit of a loss on how to grade anthologies. If I were to score every story in this book individually and then average them all out, this probably wouldn't 'score' as a five-star book. But I'm getting pretty tired of assigning numbers and grades in reviews.

But the overall package -- the author selection, the various ways that the subject is approached, the vast creativity at work, the massive differences in approach that each author takes -- it all adds up to an incredibly rewarding,
Laura Hughes
Dec 09, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It's finally live! HEROES WANTED contains nineteen tales by nineteen different fantasy authors. My story, 'Ratman,' is about a reluctant necromancer struggling to find the 'right' path amid the army of darkness.

The ebook is FREE in all online stores!
Jon Adams
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall I dug it. Also, it's free so it's a great way to discover new authors. I added quite a few to my TBR.
Stephen Richter
I got this because of the new Hadrian and Royce tale by Michael J. Sullivan . But this Anthology is as good as it gets. A wide variety of tales by authors who were new to me save a few. But each tale had me wanting more of the story. If you are a fan of the fantasy genre, you need to pick this up.
Noor Al-Shanti
This is the second indie fantasy anthology I read this year and as with the other one I would highly recommend it. There were ones I enjoyed, ones I really loved, and ones that didn't work for me, but overall the experience was worth it. Here are my thoughts on each of the stories in the order in which they appear in the anthology:

Half-Breed by Joe Jackson
This was a good tale to the start the anthology with. It follows Eli, an orphan who found work with a gang protecting their assassins when
Dominick Fisher
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall: 3.2/5

Bumped up to 4/5 for overall collection and themes of the anthology. Some stories didn't hit the mark, but I enjoyed the majority of them and the anthology was worth the read.

Breakdown for each individual story:

Half-Breed by Joe Jackson - 3/5
What Needs to Be Done
Ron
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, ebook, fantasy
“What do you think a hero is? It’s just the right person in the right place making the right choice at the right time. Heroes aren’t born, young man: they’re made.”

Like most anthologies, variable quality, but a few stories stand out. Most notably the first and last stories: “Half Breed” by Joe Jackson, “Is Dumb” by M. D. Presley, and “Ratman” by Laura M Hughes. The best turn many of the hero clichés upside down.

“And don’t forget that we’re heroes now. The pretty lady said so, and she was looking
Rusty
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
About like any collection, there were some good stories and some bad ones. I only skipped two, one based on Egyptian mythology (not my thing) and one that started with a soldier being arrested for sodomizing a donkey. The theme of hero throughout the book was an interesting touch, especially seeing different authors' takes on what constitutes a hero. I plan on checking out other works by some of the authors in this collection.
Dustin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

Some really entertaining stories here by some excellent authors. Short stories and novellas are really difficult for me to get into and I’m sure they are just as hard to write. When they are done well they can really be impactful but usually leave you wanting a little more.

My favorites in this anthology included Ratman by Laura M. Hughes, (fantastic dark fantasy with humor) indomitable by Andy Peloquin, All Ends by Quenby Olson, Ulroc’s Redemption by Ben Galley. The collection also includes
Yariv
Dec 22, 2019 added it
I admit I only read 8 of the stories here. Actually i was about to give up after the sixth (2 were nice,2 OK and 2 half-baked ) but reading Lukasz review here i decided to try also the two stories he recommended . All Ends & Ratman.
All Ends was indeed quite good - dark & strange , delivered with strong prose.
Regarding Ratman, well, i won't get into details about this fucked up tale, i just say that Hughes just got a new fan :) Will definitely check her other works.

Silver Chaos
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gods above!

This Anthology was amazing. The authors all captured eloquently what a hero sometimes isn’t, but also what makes them a hero in the stories. Read it if you want a gamut of emotions and feelings. Don’t if you want life to be dull.
Sharon Phelps
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Science fiction/fantasy

A great collection of eclectic short stories. I enjoyed all of them. All of the authors are so different that you are sure to find several that stand out.
Paul
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice Collection

I’m usually not a fan of short stories, for me, many times they are excellent story ideas which could be expanded upon, to full length books, so much potential lost.
However, with so many excellent authors collected in one place, I took a chance.
The stories differed from around 30 minutes to a maximum of 90 minutes. Several were quite good with proper, if not brief, endings.
The rest were true snap-shots into story ideas, not bad in anyway, but shorter than I would have liked.
Pedro Marroquín
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sólo he leído las historias de Dyrk Ashton (Paternus) B, y de Michael J. Sullivan (Ryria) A.
Timothy C
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice sample of shorts

Pretty cool collection of short stories. Just enough to get a feel for each author’s style. Plenty for everyone to enjoy.
Joe Jackson
Dec 30, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Grab a free copy to see Elias Sorivar's origin story in my entry, "Half-breed"! My personal favorites from this one were Laura Hughes', Michael Sullivan's, Will Wight's, and MD Presley's, but there's tons more great stories within. What were your favorites?
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
There were some great stories in this collection, including two from authors who are already among my favourites, but overall the book seemed rather flat to me. The stories were all so similar. So many monsters... so many swords... I'd have liked to see more diversity in the way the theme of heroism was approached.
Scott
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really only read the Michael J. Sullivan short story - The Ashmoor Affair but couldn't find just that on Goodreads. The story was great, characters were great - so much fun spending time with Royce and Hadrian.
Mark Lucas-Taylor
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam (review dated 14th Dec) sums up my opinion. Entertaining & eclectic. “Ratman” stood out particularly for me.
Art Harrison
Jan 12, 2020
Danny Ray
Dec 28, 2019
Cynthia Heyman
rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2020
Gwen Pearson
Dec 17, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Not showing properly as author 2 244 Dec 19, 2019 11:04AM

• Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • 魔道祖师 [Mo Dao Zu Shi]
  • The Last Guardian (The Dragon's Blade #3)
  • Veiled Intentions (The Dragon's Blade, #2)
  • The Reborn King (The Dragon's Blade, #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Realm of Dragons (Age of the Sorcerers—Book One)
  • Nottingham
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • Of Dawn and Darkness (Elder Empire: Sea, #2)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Limited Wish (Impossible Times, #2)
  • Drive (The Expanse, #0.2)
  • Blood of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom #2)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • The Princess in the Tower (Schooled in Magic, #15)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of epic and dark fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange