Start by marking “The First Fowler (A Green Ember Story, #2)” as Want to Read:
The First Fowler (A Green Ember Story, #2)

The First Fowler

(The Green Ember)

A Green Ember story set after the attack on Cloud Mountain and the battle at Jupiter’s Crossing.

In this sequel to The Last Archer, Jo Shanks is back in action against the Preylord tyrants. Alongside Helmer and Emma, this riveting adventure sees Jo on a perilous journey where survival and the cause itself are at stake.

Faced with a calamitous quandary, the loyal band of
Published December 16th 2019 by Story Warren Books (first published December 9th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The First Fowler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Fowler

Start your review of The First Fowler (A Green Ember Story, #2)
Jared Boyd
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The First Fowler is an excellent addition to the world of the Green Ember, and a great follow up to The Last Archer. S.D. Smith's characters are funny and endearing, his heroes are genuinely heroic, and the mythology he weaves ever richer and more fascinating.
Heather Gross
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This little book is another gem by Sam Smith. When a package with the rabbits with swords symbol shows up at our house everyone gets excited! This was no exception. We’ve all grown to love Jo Shanks, and this book puts him in the spotlight. I listened to the Audible version-since my kids had already snagged the physical book before I could!-and I throughly enjoyed the narrators voices.
Jessi
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jo Shanks is one of my favorites! So happy that I got to spend more time with him and I'm glad I read it before my children take it and make it their own!
Jamie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We enjoyed another story about the brave Jo Shanks. He has become one of our favorite characters. Some of our favorite parts were the quips between Captain Frye and Helmer. The Green Ember books are family favorites and this one was no exception.
Rose Henry
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a genuinely fun read! It was very short and seemed slightly rushed, but anything Sam puts out I will gladly take in stride! Can’t wait for Ember’s End!!
#RabbitsWithSwords
Mark Jr.
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely enjoy reading the Green Ember books to my kids, and I’ve read every one to them. It seems to me that Smith’s writing is only getting better, his characters more rounded and real. The offshoot stories like this one are simpler and shorter than the main books, but they offer insight into characters in those main books.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard Smith say that the treacly stories our culture likes to tell kids don’t serve them well—and I know I believe that. Green Ember includes real,
Wendy
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding addition to the Green Ember chronicles! I truly meant to make it last a couple of days, but couldn't stop reading! I love the deeper look into Jo Shanks' character, and the action was breath-taking and kept me on the edge of my seat with anticipation. Can't wait for the next one!
Nicole Sims
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fast-paced installment into the side-adventures of the Green Ember series. It has the pacing of The Last Archer, but includes more of the character insights and relationships we expect from Green Ember books. Another win for S.D.Smith.
Katie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A pleasure, as always. What is it about these books? My children adore them, and sometimes my own affection takes me by surprise. So much heart.
Ge Enders
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another must-read book from S.D. Smith! Everyone in my family from 4-50 years old loved it!
Dave
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great little book by S.D. Smith. The author frequently describes his works as 'new stories with an old soul'. His stories, this one included, highlight courage, sacrifice, compassion, family and hope. Jo Shanks, the hero of The Last Archer, returns in another daring and dangerous mission for the rabbits against their wolf and raptor enemies. Smith is excellent at portraying the relationships between characters, showing the humor even in the midst of trials and danger, and in showing the ...more
Sarah Dixon Young
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jo Shanks bears the flame as S.D. Smith reveals more of the unfolding story that is changing all of Natalia, and our hearts as well.

Reading these novellas from The Green Ember series is like looking at something from a different angle. I read this before giving it to my kids for Christmas. They did a happy dance when they unwrapped it. I am thankful for Smith's underlying worldview which shines through the courageous love of right in his characters. The action kept us all turning the pages, and
Tori Samar
How can you not love Jo Shanks? Plenty of Helmer, Heyward, and Emma, too, is just icing on the cake. And just like I would expect from an S.D. Smith book, there are the ever-present themes of courage, sacrifice, camaraderie, service, and the like. Suffice it to say, I will gladly read any story in the Green Ember universe anytime.
Bethany Wright
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
I really want to rate this book higher, because I love the author and his main body of work — the Green Ember Saga. This is a small side story. The writing was not up to the usual standards of the author (almost to the extent that it was written by someone else. The story lacked his usual care for description of characters and setting. You had to have JUST freshly finished several of his books to figure out what was going on. There were many secondary (tertiary?) characters that were introduced ...more
Fëalórin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This rollicking tale is an excellent addition to The Green Ember series, and a worthy successor to The Last Archer! The dialogue is witty, the characters lovably noble and very likable (as is usual from amazing award-losing author S. D. Smith), and the story itself is certain to keep you on the edge of your seat! I feel it is an improvement over The Last Archer, which was itself an enjoyable read for me.

Recommended for: all those loving family-friendly fantasy, especially those who have read the
Titus Watson
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Last Archer was my favorite of these short stories that have come in-between the main series books, keyword - was. This book was an amazing sequel to The Last Archer. Jo Shanks is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters (spoiler for Green Ember IV from the preview in The First Fowler) I’m stoked to see Jo as a main character in the next Green Ember book. That means these side stories with Jo are essential reads.
4.5 Stars
Chad A. Pentecost
Short but sweet

Another good adventure for rabbits with swords. I would have expected a longer read but it was good nonetheless. I wish that I could find more books with such chivalry, bravery and morality within their pages.
Brenda
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is fun the keep the characters alive in my mind while I wait for the final book to come in Spring. Fun for my class too.
Rachel
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Jo Shanks is a becoming a fast favorite here with this sequel.
Kevin Brandon
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A super quick story starring some of our favorite characters. Just enough to keep us waiting for Ember Ends which comes out in the spring.
Tali
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book brought in so much more information into the series and answered so many questions. Thank S.D. Smith for bringing so much joy and adventure to my life ...more
Kathleen
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
We loved this little book about Jo Shanks! We’ve come to enjoy these in-between stories and appreciate the background of some other characters.
Sarah Stroud
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love all the green ember books!! S.D. Smith and C. S. Lewis are my favorite authors!
Tina Wilson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this aloud with the kids and we loved getting to visit with Jo Shanks and Emma and Picket and Heather again. Particularly enjoying seeing the character development in Jo's character.
ELLIE!!!!
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great mini story. Jo Shanks is one of my favorite characters!
ReaderofLegends
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is yet another winner in the brilliant, ever unmatched Green Ember series!
Christine
Dec 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • The Light Between Oceans
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • Pygmalion
  • The Hundred Dresses
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park #2)
  • Camp Half-Blood Confidential (The Trials of Apollo, #2.5)
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Demigod Diaries (The Heroes of Olympus)
  • Shiloh (Shiloh, #1)
  • Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers #3)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Love Came Down at Christmas: Daily Readings for Advent
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Silent Thaw (Warriors: The Broken Code, #2)

S. D. Smith lives with his wife and four kids in West Virginia, because it would be weird to live with someone else’s wife and four kids in West Virginia, or anywhere else, right?

Smith is the author of the middle-grade adventure fantasy novels, The Green Ember, The Black Star of Kingston, Ember Falls (The Green Ember: Book II), The Last Archer: A Green Ember Story, and Ember Rising (The Green

The Green Ember (4 books)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Ember’s End (The Green Ember, #4)