Start by marking “Forbidden Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #1)

Forbidden Queen

(The Forbidden Queen #1)

Her power is forbidden. But she's next in line for the throne.

When Princess Kalleah is born with a forbidden magic power, her mother takes her into hiding to keep her safe.

Now, at eighteen, she is back to claim her throne.

People with Kalleah's deadly power aren't allowed into the city of Baylore, let alone the palace. If she is to rule, her people will need to overcome
Published March 3rd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Queen, please sign up.
R.J. Vickers There's only very mild cursing (mostly using language that only makes sense within the fantasy world). There is a fade-to-black sex scene, but nothing…moreThere's only very mild cursing (mostly using language that only makes sense within the fantasy world). There is a fade-to-black sex scene, but nothing else inappropriate. (less)

Start your review of Forbidden Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #1)
M.  [storme reads a lot]
I could not put this down, it’s so unique. The world building is fabulous. I spent a few late nights reading this because I had to know how the story was going to progress. I can’t wait for more of Kalleah and her powers, along with her queen life. Thank you so much to the author for the review copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Scott
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WoW what a way to get a series started . This is a fantastic story that draws you the reader in and you have to keep reading to see where this story is going . R.J. Vickers has herself a winner and once you read this first book you will definitely have to pick up the second one .
Her world building is excellent and the main character is someone you can't help but become vested in her choices and the outcomes from them and the magic is different and very interesting .
So do yourself a favor grab
rat
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Most people are quick to make judgments rather than get to know those they fear

Much thanks to the author for providing me an E-arc of this book 🖤

The Forbidden Queen follows Kalleah,a girl born with a forbidden power,as she tries to claim her throne of Itrea.

This book started out quite fast-paced at the point where I had to reread paragraphs because I was lost. But that changed around the 5th chapter where the plot,pacing and characters became better and better. Almost the entire book takes place
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
Jan 24, 2020 marked it as read-for-review
*I received an early ecopy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

Ah, I love this story, and read it way faster than I meant to...Oops, but it is so wonderfully captivating and original, and I absolutely adored the characters, and the world-building was on par, and just so many things that work magic together, and I couldn't help but say: "Just one more chapter...." every night until I finished! I cannot wait to read more of this series!
Jackie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a story. Princess Kalleah was born with a special power. Until she’s ready to rule, she’s been hiding. Now she’s ready to rule. Absolutely fabulous to keep you reading.
Jordan
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-kindle, fantasy

Final rating: 3.5 stars, but I rounded up because I really enjoyed reading this book!

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed Kalleah, the main character quite a bit. She was born with a forbidden magic that draws energy from those around her. She and her mother lived in self-imposed exile for her safety until she turned 18 and was able to assume her father's throne. I thought Kalleah was a well-writte
Barb Lie
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Forbidden Queen by RJ Vickers is the first book in her new Forbidden Queen series. Kalleah, our heroine, lives in hiding in a small village with her mother, as she hides a magical power (she can draw energy from people) all of her life. Now at 18 years old, her mother decides it is now time for her to return to Baylore, where her mother once again becomes Queen and Kalleah will meet her father the King. Her mother left Baylore when Kalleah was a baby for her safety, and now it’s time for her to ...more
Jamie
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an epic fantasy read and I'm so glad I got to review it!
The main character is brave, strong, and learns the power of being open to others just may prove what wins her the throne.
The atmosphere and story was an amazing backdrop for Kalleah to find her way in the royal setting. I was hooked right from the get go and wanted more even as I read the last page.
Characters were interesting from Cal, to Leioth, to her guard who supports her even if he doesn't have a stake in the race.
I want to se
Eileen Mitchell
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Rebecca’s books and this first in a trilogy is no exception. The descriptions of both people and places are exceptional and enable the reader to build up solid characters and solid surroundings. The story line is light, with a little bit of dark woven through it. Meeting Kalleah, her mother and the people of Baylore palace was a delight and I am very much looking forward to the next two books!
Kztgs4eva
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
World building was excellent. Characters were well developed. Heat was a 0, violence was mild. This is a high fantasy novel. With a storyline of a young girl who has been separated from her rightful place as a princess soon to become the next ruler. The storyline continues with her adventures and her battles to become the next ruler in line. I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves fantasy or high fantasy it is an excellent read.
Debbie Eyre
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow this epic fantasy series is just that, epic!!! Well written you are transported to another world , a world full of forbidden magic, action, intrigue, and some strong and amazing characters! The author has done an amazing job with the world building so much so that you can actually visualise it and see it all in your mind! An exciting read and I cannot wait to read more!
Sarah Coleman
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed every bit of this book and could not help but finish it all in a day. It had a lot world building with a lot digging into that world and the characters were all well-developed. I enjoyed the main character a lot and hope there will be more in the future.

Tony Hisgett
Jul 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I never got into this book, partly because I never really understood the ‘world’ the author was trying to portray. I know it is a fantasy, but it just seemed illogical to me, especially the ‘magic’ system that didn’t make any sense, I kept going, but by halfway I was just bored, perhaps it was my lack of patience and had I kept going it might of made sense, but I'm afraid I'd had enough. ...more
Serpil.coban
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is very captivating and it is very easy to forget the time while reading, all of a sudden 8 hours has past by and youve forgoten to do all the chores of the day.
The author writes in a very detailed and interesting way which makes it easy to follow the storyline.
English is my third language and I loved it!
Dawn Milligan
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a first for me by RJ Vickers!! This is well written and the characters are well developed, I think this will be a great sereis!!🥰😍😍
Elena Koleva
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well i did something very strange and i start with the last book and when i realized my mistake and start this one and i was seized totally! Princess Kalleah is amazing strong young woman fighting for her birthright really an amazing role model and about the story it will take u away totally amazing a bit dark story showing a fantasy world wich remind us of the real one so much. U will find everything there a magic, love story adventure... It will keep u all the way till the end and u wont be ab ...more
Aamori
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and once I started reading I just couldn’t put it down. I’ve fallen in love with the series and can’t wait to buy the others.
Ani - Ani Reads
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, 2020-arc
I really enjoyed reading The Forbidden Queen. I wasn't able to put it down, even though I have exams waiting for me. I love Kalleah and respect how she always manages to keep going despite everything that happens to her.
I did feel like the second part was a bit rushed. I would have loved a few extra chapters where she was coping (view spoiler)
Dorcia Beland
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy R.J. Vickers's stories. This book is the best one yet. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Her world-building and character development are fantastic. This book is a page-turner. I couldn't put it down. ...more
Phthon
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book in an exciting new series by the amazing R. J. Vickers! I absolutely loved this book. It has an original magic structure and the characters are realistic and good at manipulating the reader. Princess Kalleah is a very strong and likable but has a streak of naïveté and innocence. I am looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds! I loved reading it!
Whitney
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interesting read. I loved diving into this world. The fmc was a intriguing and the side characters kept the storyline going. Can’t wait for the next book

Kathy
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not what I thought...

My typical and favorite genre is sci-fi fantasy. I love it when I can find that genre in a world such as this. A royal setting or simply an old world setting such as the 1500s. But along with the sci-fi and fantasy I like lots of action and or intrigue. A story line that leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat and maybe a few laughs here & there. And yes, no story is complete without some sort of romance thrown in and even some steamy love scenes. Sounds good, right?
Unf
Skye Anne
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Forbidden Queen series is a high fantasy series set in the wonderfully created land of Itrea, with its diverse landscapes, regions and individuals, that proves that Vickers is no rookie when it comes to intelligent world building that captivates the readers. However, we get to see very little of Itrea in this book, which is a shame, but also supports the plotline that is unfolding.
Vickers has done an incredible job or creating a well-rounded, structured and developed female lead, that has t
Kaye
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ONE BLAZING ADVENTURE!!!
Holy crap! Vickers raised the bar on this little fella and stole the markers, seizing the reigns and calling the shots, blasting this baby into a tailspin with a life altering, mind-blowing culmination. A raging tempest chocked-full of inexplicable events and unexpected mishaps, blasts all of your emotions into play perfectly. Blundering through the trials and tribulations, shocking twists and startling turns, testing our characters in ways they could have never anticipat
Charlotte
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Forbidden Queen tells the story of princess Kalleah, who is next in line to rule over Itrea. There is just one problem, she has a forbidden magic power. Now it's up to Kalleah to win the throne and hold the city together. The storyline kept me interested the whole time. It was unpredictable and there were many twists and turns. The world building was great and I also loved the characters. I can't wait to read the next books in this series! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes to r ...more
Christine Marie
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating story from start to end. Even with a busy holiday schedule I couldn’t resist taking this novel with me. R.J. has written a wonderful strong female role of a future queen with a power forbidden in her world. With a minor love twist and many different levels of emotion I look forward to the next book in the series to see where the story line will go.
Marla
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really enjoyed Forbidden Queen. I'm anxiously looking forward to book 2 in The Forbidden Queen series. R.J. Vickers has became a favorite writer of mine in a short period of time.
I received an advanced copy for an honest review. What a privilege it has been!
Laetitia
I received a copy of this book from the author.
This was probably a 3-3.5 stars for me.
The premise of the book was what attracted me to it in the first place. A princess with a deadly power tries to claim her throne while the peace of her country lays in the balance. She must beat her cousin in a popularity vote but he stands for everything she is against; she might even die if he wins the throne.
The storyline in itself was as promised and held some suspense and we really couldn't predict what
Orsolya
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this e-book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for it.

It doesn’t happen often enough that a book has a (female) main character with strong ambitions, a really good motive for her actions and a very interesting, unique, not all bubbly and sunshine and „waiting for love and to be rescued” personality. One that is relatable, likeable and most importantly logical. It was refreshing to read about Kaellah who is exactly like this. Making wrong decisions so
Yvette Baliko
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5
I received an eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
I did give it 3.5 in my head, but rounded it up, because I enjoyed this book very much. Nice intrigue, great writing, interesting and unique world building.
A few things that did not work for me very well, though:
I wish there were a bit more details, or slower introduction to the world, especially how these kingdoms and ruling works. All the way through I had this feeling that I missed out on some details around when
« previous 1 3 next »

• Unspeakable Things
  • The Realm (Vampire Royals #6; Shifter Royals #1)
  • Dragon Rising (The Hidden Warrior #1)
  • Prince Poison (Gods and Monsters, #1)
  • Curse Breaker (Dark Legends, #1)
  • Ruined Goddess (The Persephone Trilogy #1)
  • Outling (Crystal Wing Academy, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Blood of the High Court (Rise of the Dark Fae #2)
  • Royally Hitched: The Fae Prince (The Dark Fae #1)
  • Shadow Academy
  • Midnight King (Shifter Island, #3)
  • Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages #1)
  • Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: An Introvert's Year of Living Dangerously
  • Her Warrior (The Royal Shifters, #4)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • My Best Friend’s Royal Wedding
R.J. Vickers is the bestselling author of the Natural Order YA fantasy series, the Forbidden Queen epic fantasy series, and several other standalone fantasy novels set in the world of the Kinship Thrones.

Originally from Colorado, Vickers now lives in New Zealand with her husband, where she enjoys hiking to backcountry huts, writing at adorable cafes, crocheting blankets and amigurumi, and baking

The Forbidden Queen (6 books)
  • Innocent Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #2)
  • Renegade Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #3)
  • Usurper Queen (The Forbidden Queen #4)
  • Magician Queen (The Forbidden Queen #5)
  • Warrior Queen (The Forbidden Queen #6)