Start by marking “Forbidden Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #1)

Forbidden Queen

(The Forbidden Queen #1)

Her power is forbidden. But she's next in line for the throne.

When Princess Kalleah is born with a forbidden magic power, her mother takes her into hiding to keep her safe.

Now, at eighteen, she is back to claim her throne.

People with Kalleah's deadly power aren't allowed into the city of Baylore, let alone the palace. If she is to rule, her people will need to overcome
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Queen

Start your review of Forbidden Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #1)
Storme
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I could not put this down, it’s so unique. The world building is fabulous. I spent a few late nights reading this because I had to know how the story was going to progress. I can’t wait for more of Kalleah and her powers, along with her queen life. Thank you so much to the author for the review copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
rat
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Most people are quick to make judgments rather than get to know those they fear

Much thanks to the author for providing me an E-arc of this book

The Forbidden Queen follows Kalleah,a girl born with a forbidden power,as she tries to claim her throne of Itrea.

This book started out quite fast-paced at the point where I had to reread paragraphs because I was lost. But that changed around the 5th chapter where the plot,pacing and characters became better and better. Almost the entire book takes place
Scott
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WoW what a way to get a series started . This is a fantastic story that draws you the reader in and you have to keep reading to see where this story is going . R.J. Vickers has herself a winner and once you read this first book you will definitely have to pick up the second one .
Her world building is excellent and the main character is someone you can't help but become vested in her choices and the outcomes from them and the magic is different and very interesting .
So do yourself a favor grab
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
Jan 24, 2020 marked it as read-for-review
*I received an early ecopy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

Ah, I love this story, and read it way faster than I meant to...Oops, but it is so wonderfully captivating and original, and I absolutely adored the characters, and the world-building was on par, and just so many things that work magic together, and I couldn't help but say: "Just one more chapter...." every night until I finished! I cannot wait to read more of this series!
Kaye
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ONE BLAZING ADVENTURE!!!
Holy crap! Vickers raised the bar on this little fella and stole the markers, seizing the reigns and calling the shots, blasting this baby into a tailspin with a life altering, mind-blowing culmination. A raging tempest chocked-full of inexplicable events and unexpected mishaps, blasts all of your emotions into play perfectly. Blundering through the trials and tribulations, shocking twists and startling turns, testing our characters in ways they could have never
Jordan
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, free-kindle

Final rating: 3.5 stars, but I rounded up because I really enjoyed reading this book!

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed Kalleah, the main character quite a bit. She was born with a forbidden magic that draws energy from those around her. She and her mother lived in self-imposed exile for her safety until she turned 18 and was able to assume her father's throne. I thought Kalleah was a
Jamie
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an epic fantasy read and I'm so glad I got to review it!
The main character is brave, strong, and learns the power of being open to others just may prove what wins her the throne.
The atmosphere and story was an amazing backdrop for Kalleah to find her way in the royal setting. I was hooked right from the get go and wanted more even as I read the last page.
Characters were interesting from Cal, to Leioth, to her guard who supports her even if he doesn't have a stake in the race.
I want to
Jackie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a story. Princess Kalleah was born with a special power. Until she’s ready to rule, she’s been hiding. Now she’s ready to rule. Absolutely fabulous to keep you reading.
Ani Dümmer
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-arc, ya, fantasy
I really enjoyed reading The Forbidden Queen. I wasn't able to put it down, even though I have exams waiting for me. I love Kalleah and respect how she always manages to keep going despite everything that happens to her.
I did feel like the second part was a bit rushed. I would have loved a few extra chapters where she was coping (view spoiler)
Orsolya
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this e-book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for it.

It doesn’t happen often enough that a book has a (female) main character with strong ambitions, a really good motive for her actions and a very interesting, unique, not all bubbly and sunshine and „waiting for love and to be rescued” personality. One that is relatable, likeable and most importantly logical. It was refreshing to read about Kaellah who is exactly like this. Making wrong decisions
Yvette Baliko
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5
I received an eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
I did give it 3.5 in my head, but rounded it up, because I enjoyed this book very much. Nice intrigue, great writing, interesting and unique world building.
A few things that did not work for me very well, though:
I wish there were a bit more details, or slower introduction to the world, especially how these kingdoms and ruling works. All the way through I had this feeling that I missed out on some details around when
Brittany Smith
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is about a girl who was born to be the next queen. Although threats against her life force her to flee with her mother to live in seclusion until she is old enough to assume the throne. Kalleah also has another challenge to face, she has powers that suck the life out of others when they spend too much time around her. As she reaches the right age to return to court she finds that there is more brewing behind the scenes and danger is closer than ever.

I liked this book well enough, but I
Skye Anne
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Forbidden Queen series is a high fantasy series set in the wonderfully created land of Itrea, with its diverse landscapes, regions and individuals, that proves that Vickers is no rookie when it comes to intelligent world building that captivates the readers. However, we get to see very little of Itrea in this book, which is a shame, but also supports the plotline that is unfolding.
Vickers has done an incredible job or creating a well-rounded, structured and developed female lead, that has
Alyssa Danielson
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about a girl who was born to be the next queen, but due to threats against her life, she is forced to flee with her mother to live in seclusion until she is old enough to assume the throne. (Queen of the Tearling comes to mind). Kalleah also has another challenge to face -- she has powers that suck the life out of others when they spend too much time around her. (Shatter Me, anyone?). Two elements that are quite similar
Jackie Amadon
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

I was excited for this book because it was compared to Throne of Glass. Unfortunately it wasn’t quite there. I got a detached vibe from the main character where she just stated things and made assumptions instead of leading you as the reader to make them yourself. She stated that she should be queen because her father was king but I had a hard time agreeing. Her mother raised her and taught her about the castle from memory but does that really make her qualified to be a ruler more than
Katelyn Anderson
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
What I loved about this book: the cover, the concept/plot, the uniqueness of the MC's power.

What I felt was missing: a deeper connection between MC and characters who are supposed to care about her - I didn't feel any warmth/love from anyone, an intense story-hook that pulls you deep under into a book and immerses you into the story - that wasn't there for me. And a few other things that will only spoil the plot, so I won't add that into this review.

I nearly DNFed this on multiple occasions but
Michelle
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-books
I received an e-arc of this book for an honest review.

In this book the main character is the heir to the throne but has been living in seclusion due to threats against her life and to complicate things more she was born with powers that drain the life from those around her if she spends too much time near them. I really wanted to love this book, it has the cover, plot and is well written however I didn’t find myself connecting with the characters. I was interested in her story and wanted to
Tiffany
After reading this book, I wanted to write and post this review to share my honest experiences toward the story, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The worldbuilding was excellent and the story itself really draws you in and hooks you through and through. Even the way the story itself flows is amazing, and Kalleah is such a unique heroine. The only thing I can say that didn’t impress me that much is the love interest aspect – and how the relationship moved so quickly. But looking back on it now, I see ...more
Erin Gossman
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like the concept and I enjoy the authors style. Aside from that I’m not sure how I feel about the book. It feels like the tip of the iceberg. I was very relieved to see a few unique details in this book though. Five rulers in reality with one over all. And the days of the week are all different and unique to the storyline. It’s refreshing to see that small detail changed. I haven’t the slightest inkling what the following book will bring, but I know I want to read it.

I received a
Jessica Richert
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Phthon
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book in an exciting new series by the amazing R. J. Vickers! I absolutely loved this book. It has an original magic structure and the characters are realistic and good at manipulating the reader. Princess Kalleah is a very strong and likable but has a streak of naïveté and innocence. I am looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds! I loved reading it!
Jan
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Forbidden Queen
Wonderful world building and I always love a strong Female character. I can’t wait to see where Kalleah and her forbidden magic will take us next. And, of course, what will happen to her budding romance with Leoth? A strong start to a series that is bound to be a favorite! I received an advance copy for my honest review.
Christine Marie
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating story from start to end. Even with a busy holiday schedule I couldn’t resist taking this novel with me. R.J. has written a wonderful strong female role of a future queen with a power forbidden in her world. With a minor love twist and many different levels of emotion I look forward to the next book in the series to see where the story line will go.
Marla
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really enjoyed Forbidden Queen. I'm anxiously looking forward to book 2 in The Forbidden Queen series. R.J. Vickers has became a favorite writer of mine in a short period of time.
I received an advanced copy for an honest review. What a privilege it has been!
Shannon
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story set in a rich world. The main character is well written and feels real and the storyline flows nicely.
Steiner
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book.
It took me time to be completely in the story but once I was I couldn't put it down.
My favorite moments is when her and Leoth goes to the inn and spend time together.
I cant wait to see what happen with Kalleah and Leoh next, now that she revert back to mistrust him.
Amber Dene
Tilly Fisher
Jan 06, 2020
Heather
Jan 08, 2020

• The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Kindling Heir
  • Magic Within (Bloodline Academy, #1)
  • Kingdom of Spirits (Bleeding Realms: Dragon Blessed #2)
  • After The End (Emerge, #1)
  • Fae Hunter
  • Ghost Academy: Book One
  • The Frost Eater (The Magic Eaters Trilogy, #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Forsaken Kingdom (Silent Kingdom #2)
  • Silent Kingdom (Silent Kingdom #1)
  • Royally Hitched: The Fae Prince: (The Dark Fae Series, Book 1)
  • The Queen of Cursed Things (Serpents and Kings, #1)
  • Shadow Academy (Shadow Academy #1)
  • Crown of Dragons (Bleeding Realms: Dragon Blessed #1)
  • The Journey Home
  • Initiation (Elite Supernatural Trackers, #1)
  • Crown Princess Academy: Book 1
R.J. Vickers is the bestselling author of the Natural Order YA fantasy series, the Forbidden Queen epic fantasy series, and several other standalone fantasy novels set in the world of the Kinship Thrones.

Originally from Colorado, Vickers now lives in New Zealand with her husband, where she enjoys hiking to backcountry huts, writing at adorable cafes, crocheting blankets and amigurumi, and baking

The Forbidden Queen (3 books)
  • Innocent Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #2)
  • Renegade Queen (The Forbidden Queen, #3)