Start by marking “The Book of the Staff (Vesik #12)” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Staff (Vesik #12)

The Book of the Staff

(Vesik #12)

A demon unleashed. An ally imprisoned. Zola risks a pact that could kill them all...
Zola Adannaya, necromancer and mentor to Damian Vesik, seeks an ancient artifact in order to save her student. Unfortunately, the only beings with the knowledge she needs are demons she trapped long ago.

Traveling to a small town in southern Missouri, where one such demon was cursed to a
Published December 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Staff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Staff

Start your review of The Book of the Staff (Vesik #12)
Penny
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a great novella to the ones the author has already released. Zola is the main character, and I really enjoy her. There are secrets released, plans foiled, and beasts killed. This author has a great way of packing lots of plot punch into a novella, so much so you feel like you’ve read a full book at the end. I am looking forward to reading the next one especially with how this one ended. I love these novellas but I admit I’m ready to get back to Damian! LOL! Recommend! I was provided ...more
Stacey
I need more

This book is a rollercoaster that doesn’t stop when the book ends. DARN IT!! It’s excellent, tying together many characters without overdoing it.

The things we learn, however, are quite illuminating. I’m rather blown away. I must say that I was definitely not expecting many of the revelations contained in this episode of Damien’s friends’ stories.

This is a must read for all Vesik fans. It is an essential book in the story, perhaps one of the most essential. What you will learn about
Ryan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can we have fourteen Zola novellas please? Please?

Everybody's favorite Cajun finally gets a story that's all about her, mostly. All the stories in this Vesik novella series show Asher ability to give focus to a single character while maintaining the intertwining of characters that builds a great literary world. A demon of knowledge bound to a store in the mortal plane as a shopkeeper but given access to a library out of kindness? What? What? Is it kindness? Nixie, Vickie, and Luna continuing
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
demons and glitter

now starting down a dark path, Eric is writing the story of one who lives in the past as much as in the present; as do so many others. but Cole's life intercepts this story in ways.....ummmmmm.... I just can't help but love her. we travel different paths as time goes short. i love it!

(Spoilers)
the great hunt for the final pieces of Vicky and Sam's freedom is ramping up. time is short. Zola takes it upon herself to visit the demons in search of the next power, traveling deadly
Steven
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Teacher's Turn

The fourth installment of The Books of the Dead, Zola Adannya, mentor of Damian Vesik, begins her search for the last core needed for the ritual to save her student and those bound to him. The search leads from dealing with demons to old battlefields with even older foes.

Zola is the lead character in this installment and it shows more aspects of her character and how far she is willing to go to save Damian. Throughout her long life, she has faced major heartaches and losses.
Kate
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Light seeped into the darkness, and death came screaming...

Zola Adannaya’s turn to take centre stage in the Vesik series.
Accompanied by Vicky, Foster and Luna the Death Bat.
Another intriguing addition to this new angle on the tales of Damian Vesik, but told from the view of his companions and close friends; friends who are family, who will do whatever it takes to save Damian.

I am lucky in that I get to read and review this book free of charge but I always purchase Eric Asher’s books for my own
Ginelle Blanch
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really don't know how to review this book. It left off in such a spot to make it feel like a bunch is missing, which I'm sure is the point to gear up for the next part. I love Zola. And, it seems there are still so many secrets she's been keeping. I loved getting to see a bit of Foster again in this book as well, I've missed him almost as much as I've missed Damian. As we get closer to the end game, one would hope for more of the positive news but, this is war, and positive seems to be ...more
Wendy Schindler
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply Magnificent!!

From the truly creative and beautiful cover right through to the end of the story, the author has done a spectacular job of storytelling! I am deeply impressed with the range of all of the characters - from basic instincts to growth of their souls! Well, except for Nudd, who has no soul or depth to expand.. hehe
Zola is someone to respect and be in awe of!
Read the book to find out more!
TE
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you've been reading Eric Asher's Vesik series, you won't want to miss The Book of the Staff, the 4th installment of The Books of the Dead. Zola is taking names, kicking butt and pulling out all the stops in order to save Damian, Vicky and Sam. Things are really ramping up and I was bummed it ended so soon. Best. One. Yet!

For those who want to know: This book has some language and violence but no sex.
Sandy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Book of The Staff is about Zola having to do her solo part in saving Vicki, Samantha, and bringing back Damien. You have to read the book to find out if she succeeds or fails in getting one of several items needed. It is as action packed as all the other books have been. Part of Zola's past is also revealed in The Book of The Staff. A definite must read in the Vesik Series!

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher.
Bea
Dec 28, 2019 added it
FINALLY!!!! I have been waiting for this book since I read the first book in the series. Zola has always been my favorite character, and her story has had so many unanswered questions. At long last, we have a deeper insight into Zola's life before the books began. As always, the story is non-stop action, a little serious, a little laughter, and a ton of fun!
Lisa Guertin
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Demons, and shades and death, oh my!

The battle to save Damian and defeat Nudd continues and it’s full of twists, turns and surprises. Zola has endured much over her long life and lost many friends. She’s going to do whatever it takes to save Vicky and Sam and bring Damian back. The story will keep you on the edge of your seat and wanting more.
A. Michelle Miller
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
More "Misfits" featuring Zola

Loving how these novellas are overlapping yet featuring part of Vesik's merry band of true friends that are trying to move Heaven, Earth, Faery and the Burning Lands to get him back.

Zola's turn in the spotlight offered some new insights in to her person but ghost pepper chimichangas, demonstrates her concern about her former student.
Alan Boggs
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zola's Turn

So this is Zola's turn to do her part to save Damian and the girls. If you read the series you will know what I mean. This is one of my favorite series. All the books are well written and have plenty of action, and this book is no exception. I do recommend you start wither first book in the series.
Nicole
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Omg I'm dying

Ioh my god. If you have been reading the series and find yourself behind ours tonne tho catch up. I can't wait for the next book. Each once Kris aging more and more twists
Joscelyn Smith
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zola's story continues the efforts of Damien's friends to save him. It's a great short story that packs a lot in so few pages and I can't wait to read more.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book*
Mike Arthur
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW.... Mr Asher is putting out great quality reads at a speedy pace. Quite enjoyable reading as this series in recent books is told from the POV of characters other than Vesik. It was a well thought out risk.
Thomas Griffin
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zola is a force of nature

She is. She can bring you good weather or she can drop a cat 5 hurricane on your head and leave you wondering what you did to deserve it. This book it's probably the most concise in terms of storytelling, with no trappings or trimmings, just like Zola.
Andrea Laws
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zola's piece of the puzzle.

Another great installment in the quest to save Damian Vesik. A brilliant and entertaining insight into how his mentor thinks. I can't wait for the next book!
Jackie
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A too short, but fabulous story. Continues along the plot of the others. Ready for more.
Susan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is Zola's installment. Don't let the beginning with Koda confuse you. I like these shorter stories of the characters that surround Damien.
Katrina
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I can't say enough about this book and series. There is so much packed into this book. Yet again it is another book that you can't stop once you start reading. Great read!
David Orlebeke
Jan 04, 2020
Barry
Dec 29, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 2 14 Dec 09, 2019 02:33PM

• The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • Devil’s Blood (Shade of Devil Book 3)
  • Sea Breeze (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #8)
  • Devil's Cry (Shade of Devil Book 2)
  • Devil's Dream (Shade of Devil #1)
  • Sorcery Reborn (The Rebellion Chronicles #1)
  • Ascension (Nate Temple Chronicles #13)
  • The Perfect Cup: A Montague & Strong Detective Story
  • Aftermath (Decons and Magical Nulls-Elite Division #1)
  • Saving Mr. K: A Montague & Strong Detective Story
  • The Madness Below: An Alastair Stone Urban Fantasy Novel (Alastair Stone Chronicles Book 20)
  • Hunted
  • Vampin' Ain't Easy (Legend of the Vampire Reject, #1)
  • Knightmare (The Temple Chronicles, #12)
  • Menacing Misfits: An Epic Fantasy Adventure (Darkthorn Academy Book 1)
  • The Locust Job (Daniel Faust, #9)
  • Soul Taker (The Paranormalist, #2)
  • Chez Stinky (An Alpine Grove Romantic Comedy #1)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Vesik (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Days Gone Bad (Vesik, #1)
  • Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)
  • Winter's Demon (Vesik, #3)
  • This Broken World (Vesik, #4)
  • Destroyer Rising (Vesik, #5)
  • Rattle the Bones (Vesik, #6)
  • Witch Queen's War (Vesik #7)
  • Forgotten Ghosts (Vesik #8)
  • The Book of the Ghost (Vesik #9)
  • The Book of the Claw (Vesik #10)