Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:

The Accident

A shocking domestic thriller! Perfect for fans of Cara Hunter, Liane Moriarty, L J Ross and Lisa Jewell.

One moment can change a lifetime

England, February 2018

The Beast from the East a deadly combination of below-freezing temperatures, torrential rain and flurries of snow has swept across the British Isles.

Most people are merely inconvenienced by it, but for
Published January 27th 2020 by Sapere Books

To ask other readers questions about The Accident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accident

Start your review of The Accident
Matt
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, a large thank you to Gillian Jackson and Sapere Publishers for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Gillian Jackson is back with another thriller that takes the readers into the middle of a horrible event, then tells of the fallout from a number of perspectives. Sure to pique the interested of the open-minded reader, the story tackles loss bereavement, and new hope all at once. They dubbed this storm the Beast
Linda Strong
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's in the middle of winter with below-freezing temperatures. Snow mixed with rain is making driving a real hazard. With the icy conditions on the roads making navigating rush hour more perilous than ever, it only takes a moment for an accident to occur.

One car starts sliding on the ice .... and it becomes a multiple pile up of cars and trucks.

Hannah Graham wakes up in the hospital, minus a leg. Joe Parker has minimum injuries, but his wife is dead. Alan and Cassie receive news that their
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
I liked the premise of this book and it was a short read so I read it in one sitting...BUT the characters didn't have time to be fully developed and I wish there was more to Timmy's parents story. The plot was a pretty good one and I loved the character of Hannah as she shows that even when people hurt you that you can reach within your soul and find forgiveness and do the right thing...kudos for the author for creating a lovable character.

I thought the ending was somewhat flat and the epilogue
Chanel Lindsay
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is my favourite book from this author so far!
While this may be not be a thriller - instead a traumatic event followed by the consequences -, it still instantly had my attention.
The accident that happens truly is devastating and the ripple effect that followed had me feeling a ton of emotions and empathy for those involved.
Main character pov's,
Arna
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
One icy cold day in the middle of winter, on a seemingly normal day, the unthinkable happens. A car accident leaves 3 people dead and 2 seriously injured. Is someone to blame or was it out of everyones control? The accident follows the lives of those affected in the aftermath of the collision.

For those you love plot twists, you will enjoy this book. There is A LOT going on, for every character, its crazy. Its interesting to see how something that happens in a matter of seconds can have such
Joyce
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Hannah and Mike Graham have two eighteen-year old twins, a boy and a girl. Hannah was on her way to work when she lost control of her car on the ice. She has no memory of the accident, but carries a very vivid reminder. Joe Parker is forty-three and is married to Alison. They were on their way to Alison's mother's house. Alan and Cassie Jones lost their almost fifteen-year old son Timothy in the accident. He was being taken to the orthodontist by his father. All told, several vehicles
Jennifer (JC-S)
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The day that changed everything for Hannah Graham began in exactly the same way as any other.

England, February 2018. A deadly storm, a terrible accident. The lives of three families changed in an instant. Hannah Graham wakes up in hospital after suffering a life-changing injury. Joe Parker escapes with relatively minor injury, but not his wife Alison. Alan and Cassie Jones lose their son, Timothy.

What happens next? Is anyone to blame for this accident?

In this novel, Ms Jackson follows the lives
Lisa Houston
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mix of characters all thrown together after an accident and seeing where that accident would take them. It was well written and flowed well. Easy to read. Just wasnt long enough thats my only complaint. Will definitely be on the lookout for this author again ...more
Angie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Gillian Jackson for this advanced copy in exchange for my review.

This is a story about several characters thrown together by a tragic accident on an icy snowy day.
The plot was very familiar to me, and I kept questioning if I had read the book before or just the premise?
I enjoyed the individual story lines that were portrayed but also linked to the other characters. The ending brings closure to the reader, and while satisfied with the ending, it was a bit too sugary
Christine
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Icy conditions on an English motorway lead to an accident that forever changes the lives of three families. Hannah Graham wakes up in the hospital and is left with no memory of the accident but must deal with a life-changing injury. Joe Parker survives the accident with a broken collarbone but loses the person most dear to him. Alan and Cassie Jones are physically uninjured but must deal with a devastating loss. Can these families move on from this horrific accident?

Hannah, Joe, Alan, and Cassie
Clean.
Mild Language.
Cheyenne Moore
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this read and was able to read it quickly. I became attached to the characters from the beginning but would have liked if they were developed a little more.

Thank you Sapere Books, Netgalley, and Gillian Jackson for picking me to review this book!
Vanessa
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x
OMG!!!!!!!! Just Brilliant! I loved The Accident by Gillian Jackson. This is the second book i have read by Gillian and I am looking forward to read more books from her.

It's February 2018 and "The beast from the East" is upon us. This is a deadly combination of below freezing temperatures, with torrential rain and flurries of snow that is being swept across the British Isles. Warnings are on the news only go out if you need to............Hannah Graham is married and they have two teenaged
Robert Crouch
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
The Accident follows the lives of three families involved in a motorway pile up during freezing weather. Each family has to cope with loss and deal with the emotional and practical challenges that stem from this, leading to an enjoyable, interesting and realistic look at families under stress.

The characters were well-drawn and engaging as they dealt with the blows and tried to put their lives back together again. The emotional impact was well-handled and described as the challenges posed by the
Jane Willis
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hannah is heading to work during icy, snowy weather when her car spins out of control on a motorway slip road and becomes the focus of a multiple vehicle collision where three people lose their lives and many are injured, including Hannah who loses one of her legs.

She has to cope with learning to walk again with a prosthesis at the same time as feeling overwhelming guilt because her memory has blacked out the accident so she thinks she could be to blame. At the same time, her teenage twins are
Mrs Rebecca Collett
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Accident

I really enjoyed this book its the sort that once you start reading you cant put it down!

The story starts with a terrible accident on the motorway involving eleven cars and the devastation that follows as families are torn apart by loss, life changing injuries and relationship changes.

It focuses on three of the cars involved in the accident on that fateful morning. Hannah who blames herself and suffers life changing injuries, her marriage falls apart and her children leave home -
Barbara Rohde
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
One winter as Hannah is driving to work, she finds her car out of her control as it hits ice on the slipway to the motorway. Even though she is driving slowly her car careens into a lorry at the same time as a Range Rover loses control and heads straight for her. Other cars crash into the pile up as the atrocious weather produces nightmarish driving conditions. Two lives are lost: the 15 year old son of Alan and Cassie,and Joe's wife Alison in the range rover.

Hannah wakes up in hospital and has
Sharon
I was given an opportunity, via the publisher, to read The Accident. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Lives are forever changed by an accident on a snowy and icy roadway. Will the victims of the crash, and their families, be able to piece together their shattered lives and move forward?

The story was all there, on paper, but the heart was mostly absent. The accident, and the aftermath, had a profound effect on all those involved, but the compelling
Lisa Wetzel
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Thank you NetGalley, Sapere and Gillian Jackson for gifting me an ARC of The Accident in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of this book!

The book is written from 3 separate POVs brought together by a very bad snow/ice storm....The Beast From the East!!! Hannah, Joe and Timothys parents bring the book together from tragedy to new beginnings!! Jackson brings the issues of loss and grief, in more ways than one. She treats them all with such compassion!!! She shows the healing process and
Kylie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hannah is a mother of teenage twins and in one terrifying moment her car slips in the ice on the road and everything changes. She awakes with no memory and and major injuries.

Other people were involved in the accident, also with life altering consequences. Joe Parker survives but his beloved wife is not so lucky. Alan and Cassie Jones lose their precious son.

One event that has caused so much pain and suffering how do they go on? Hannah blames herself as she can't remember any of the accident
Charlene
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I feel that the central idea of The Accident Is accurate and pertinent. It suggests the ripple effect that one devastating, traumatic event can have on so many people - not only those directly involved, but on their friends and families, as well.
However, the overall feel of the book is one of a well-written draft. Following the precipitating accident at the start of the story, too many additional traumatic events happen over too short a space of time, which is not an issue in itself, but there
Jen McCarthy
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy of The Accident.

Ok, let me start off this review by saying whoever classified this book as a mystery/thriller, needs to consider a career change... there was nothing mysterious and/or thrilling about this story. It was about grief and a horrible accident that ends up bringing three groups of people together, in different ways. Not really my cup of tea... with that being said it wasnt exactly a great or bad book, just mediocre. It was fast paced and took
Claire
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Sapere Books for letting me read this in return for an honest review.
I really liked the premise of this book and I can remember the horrible conditions of the Beast from the East a few years back. So to be able to read a fast paced thriller about an accident that happened during this time was great.
However, this book seemed to be anything but fast paced. The accident happened quite early on, after hearing the back stories of the characters but after that it went flat. I was
Ann-Marie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Driving to work one icy morning Heather loses control of her car and causes a major accident on the motorway. The story follows three of the families caught up in the accident and how their lives are changed as a consequence.

Overall it was a good, well written book, the story flowed well but for me, it was a book of two halves, hence the 4 star review. Five stars for the first half of the book, which I found very absorbing as the initial drama and its impact unfolded, but an average three stars
janine
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
My God, what a huge big bag of emotions this novel creates!

An amazing read for the open minded reader... I say that because the storyline is quite outlandish in it's own way but also extremely real in every day life.. you'll understand what I mean when you read it.

Now I'm a fan of Gillian Jackson anyway but this one made me fall in love with her writing style all over again. Her fast paced narrative will keep you on your toes and wanting to devour it in one sitting.

I loved the complete mix of
Paula
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Accident by Gillian Jackson is a powerful book. It explores how one incident affects the lives of many and how they each cope in the aftermath.

The story is a raw and realistic journey about grief, life-changing moments, and the strength we find to keep moving forward. I loved all the characters the author created, even the not-so-nice ones. The story and character development show how much passion the author put into writing this book.

There were many sad moments, but truly touching ones
Rose Weiss
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A tragic car accident changes the lives of not only those involved in the accident but the families as well. Like ripples in water, the effects of the action cause another reaction.
During the snowy and very cold winter, Hannah is driving to work and loses control of her car. The car accident kills Alison, the wife of Joe and Timothy a 16 year old boy. The story is about how each of the characters adjust to this accident.
To say more about the story would give away too much of the storyline but
Carol Drinkwater
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from Gillian, not as much as Snatched and Abduction but a great read which I can recommend.

For me personally I would have liked the book to be longer with more of a story about the individual people. It reminded me of a book I read a few years ago called 'The Best of Times, obviously this was a lot more condensed but I can certainly recommend Gillian's book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Sapere Books for giving me the opportunity to read this thoroughly enjoyable book.
Ruth Matheson
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
A good, enjoyable story based around a road traffic accident during severe winter weather and its impact on the lives of three families. It is well written and gives great insight into the aftermath of an unforeseen situation, however it mostly focuses around Hannah and Joe, and we get very little about Timmy's family which throws the book off balance slightly. Downside is describing it as a "thriller". The book is a quick read and if you want a change from another genre, then this is probably ...more
Emma
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
When the icy weather causes a car collision between several vehicles, three families are left devastated. What follows is the tale of the three families and how one tragic event causes so many ripples. Can something good come out of something so devastating? A sad but enjoyable read, with a lovely ending. A positive story that shows us that it isn't necessarily what happens to us that defines us, but rather whether we allow it to ruin our lives or use it to create a better future for ourselves. ...more

• The Waxwork Corpse (Charles Holborne #5)
  • The Man She Married
  • What Lies Between Us
  • The Perfect Sister
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • One Of Us Is Lying
  • Sole Survivor (DI Jemima Huxley Thrillers, #2)
  • The Girl You Gave Away
  • Paternoster (Eden Grey #1)
  • The Stranger's Wife
  • The Perfect Mother
  • The Black and the White: The Black Death is raging but are some the victims of murder?
Author of Abduction, Snatched, The Accident and the soon to be published 'Maggie Sayer' series by Sapere Books.

Wife to Derek and mother to four, grandmother to nine.

Our lovely rescue dog Liffey completes my family and ensures that I take regular breaks from my desk!