Start by marking “Comment ne pas faire pitié à Noël quand on est célibataire” as Want to Read:
Comment ne pas faire pitié à Noël quand on est célibataire

Comment ne pas faire pitié à Noël quand on est célibataire

À trente-huit ans, Emily a un travail satisfaisant, des amis fabuleux, et surtout, un appart merveilleux, situé à des centaines de kilomètres de sa famille trop intrusive. Sa seule source de stress est Evan, son jeune voisin, qui fait beaucoup trop de bruit la nuit… Mais qu’importe ! Heureuse en couple avec Robert, Emily espère bien l’inviter chez elle pour Noël et lui pré ...more
Paperback, Hauteville (Collector), 475 pages
Published November 13th 2019 by Milady (ChickLit) (first published October 26th 2016)

Start your review of Comment ne pas faire pitié à Noël quand on est célibataire
Agi
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is Joanna Bolouri's third novel, and third that I had a pleasure to read. And also third that I am rating with 5 stars - Joanna is the right person in the right place and I've no idea what I've done before without her books! Yes, I have the feeling that every novel by her is a little gentler than the previous one but they are still incredibly funny, incredibly sharp observed, with incredibly well developed and memorable characters, and Joanna describes the w
Lorilin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, arc
Emily is used to getting ridiculed every time she goes home for Christmas. She's 38 and still single, and her family never seems to tire of reminding her. But not this year. This year is going to be different because this year she's bringing her lovely and successful boyfriend, Robert, home with her. Sure, he's a little uptight. But he's sweet in his way, cute, AND employed. For once, things seem to be on track---that is, until an unexpected revelation forces Emily to reevaluate everything. With ...more
Read for the URR 2017 New Year's Reading Challenge prompt 'Chick Lit' and for the 2016 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge (although I read it in 2017) prompt 'A Book Set in Europe'

8/2 - After reading the summary on the back cover, especially the bit about 'The only stress in her life is her neighbour Evan and his penchant for flirting, loud music and even louder sex' and then the idea that she enlists Evan to be her ex-boyfriend Robert, in order to keep up appearances with her family - well, I was expec
Salma
Awww what a beautiful novel .. hoped the author gave as an epilogue for this lovely couple and i really hope she will give us Iona's story .. :)
Jaime Fiction Fangirls
4 sweet, I want more stars!!

Super cute book!!

I love the younger man/older woman, pretend boyfriend at Christmas storyline and thing that the author did a great job of tackling the age difference without beating me over the head with it. I really liked Emily and Evan together!!

However, when I finished I felt a little let down because the ending seemed sort of abrupt and left me wishing it had been drawn out more. I’m okay with time jumps but I NEED more details about what happened during the i
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Having read Joanna’s previous books (yes, all of them), my expectations were pretty high. I absolutely loved her style of writing in the other books and I was hopeful that it would continue. No pressure for the author eh!
Did it live up to my expectations? This novel went above and beyond! It’s safe to say that this festive treat is my most favourite book of Joanna’s.
We follow the life of Emily; a thirty-something woman
Leah
Joanna Bolouri is a FANTASTIC author and if you don’t believe me, I will beat you up with one of her books. She’s only written three books but she’s become an auto-buy author for me because she’s such a witty, warm writer; and her guys are kinda hot. In a time where I worry my love for Chick Lit is waning, Joanna has come along, once again, and proven me wrong, because The Most Wonderful Time of the Year is an AMAZING devour-it-in-four-hours kinda read. TELL THE WORLD THEY NEED TO READ IT KINDA ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year is a highly enjoyable story, predominately of one family's Christmas, a whole big 4 day fun extravaganza. Within that Emily has bigged up her current boyfriend Robert to the family, so they are expecting him to come with Emily for Christmas.

However a few days later they break up, and Emily drunkenly persuaded Evan from next door, her much younger, obnoxious neighbour to pose as Robert for Christmas up in Scotland. This is hilarious as Emily really doesn't lik
Emer (A Little Haze)
Sometimes I wonder why I read these types of books. This has everything I should like and was relatively funny... But I couldn't bring myself to care about the characters, the plot..anything really.

Just kinda bored more than anything.
Naaytaashreads
If you need a cute light read, this is the book you need to read.

It is hilarious, so much family drama. It kind of reminds me of The Proposal but Scottish style since the main character is scottish. The banter, the jokes are everything. I live for his drama. It's like a guilty pleasure drama read that you need to read one a while.

The story line was quite fast, though some of the chapters was relevant. I wish there was more real drama between Robert, Evan and Emily with their family. It be more e
Sophia
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ADORED!!!!!!!

Very real story, I loved all the characters !!! Emily is 38 tho but felt more like 30, didn’t really disturb me tho

I don’t have much to say other than it was super fun and I loved the story!!!
modertheresa
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why not four stars?? I had a thoroughly good time reading this. It made my laugh and root for the couple and yeah all in all a fun sweet little Christmas story.
Jeannie Zelos
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Joanna Bolouri

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre:  women’s fiction, Romance

I was so looking forward to this, I Loved Joanna’s the List, but sadly this one wasn’t a great read for me.
The problem was Emily. When we first meet her she’s a moaner, no...not that way, she’s not like Evan's ladies ;-). She moans about her life, her flatmates bad habits, her family, her boyfriend and most of all she moans about poor Evan, who’s only crime is noisy sex! Why
Mandie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year introduces you to Emily, a 38 year old teacher living in London. On the face of it she has a good life - a nice home, great friends, a job she enjoys, the perfect boyfriend and most importantly of all to her.....she lives a long way away from her bonkers family. The only downside to this life is Evan her annoying next door neighbour whose loud girlfriends and even louder music disturb her sleep on a regular basis.
The story revolves around the annual 4 day retu
Toni Owen-Blue
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this particular book really belongs in the 90’s romcom list with 10 things I hate about you and Never been Kissed, it’s that kind of never-would-really silliness plot. Forever alone type, excited about bringing her new boyfriend home for Christmas, tells her family about him. A few days before she’s due to present him they break up, so she pays her wildly inappropriate neighbour to pretend to be the boyfriend, to avoid the pity and pointed comments her family give her about the failu ...more
Kirsty & Erin Muir
Firstly thank you to Quercus for a review copy of this title. I am obviously a little behind in reviewing this book seeing as we are now in February and I read the book in December *hides face in shame*, however I would happily reread it right now and would enjoy it just as much as when I first read it.

I read Joanna’s novel “The List” a couple of years ago and I knew then that she was going to be one of my must read authors. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year more than lived up to my expectatio
Molly
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Festive

I can't read enough Christmas books this time of year and this is the best festive rom-com yet, carefully written although I feel the end was a little rushed, but it was perfect nonetheless, recommend for this season. :)
SALLY WHITE
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. I was lucky enough to win this and I am glad I did. I have never read any of this authors books before, but I will be looking out for other titles by her now. This book is a light-hearted read. I could really picture the characters and Emily is so likeable and “real”. There are plenty of reviews of this book and the majority are the same. A huge thumbs up for a funny enjoyable read.
Tania
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I absolutely loved this book. The perfect Christmas read. It was laugh out loud funny, fantastic characters, the family were hilarious. I would liken this to a big cosy hug in book form. I can see myself reading this again next Christmas. I'm going to check out the authors other books now.
Cat
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming from a Scot, all of the Scottish language made me uncomfortable. It was very over the top & angry aha, but still enjoyable.
Also, Evan is amazing and Emily's sister is a bitch.
Clare Perry
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becky
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a perfect Christmas read. I am so glad I picked this up cheap on kindle because I couldn't put it down. I am a massive fan of fake relationship books though so it fell completely into my guilty pleasure category. My only issue was with the ending. It seemed a bit convenient. It wasn't enough to put me off or rate it down but it may be something others may question. Really, though, if you're complaining about a warm fuzzy ending in a christmas read you may have issues. You know you ...more
Minerva Spencer
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I needed right now: an amusing and page-turning read that made me forget about daily worries. Bolouri is a hilarious story teller and there are laugh-out-loud moments almost on every page. If you like the Bridget Jones books you will like this. The apartment scenes with her roommates are some of the funniest I have ever read, especially if you've ever shared a house with other people who are not your partner.
Stephanie
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a fun read and perfect for this time of year (or any time, really). It reminded me a lot of the movie The Wedding Date. It was full of quirky characters who had me laughing out loud at times. It was a breeze to read, I found myself not wanting to put it down. I would love for there to be sequel! I loved it!
Barbara
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2017
This was a good story, but I am not a contemporary reader for the most part. The lead character is older so some of the situations she gets into I can relate to. The family Christmas is pretty funny and the roommates are also a lot of fun. It was a fun read at Christmas time when one just wants to relax!
3.5 ⭐

This was a fun, wild book about a woman who i brings a fake boyfriend to her parents' house over Christmas. I loved the beginning with them bickering and getting to know each other. I enjoyed it a little bit less when we were introduced to the family, because they were just horrible people and I didn't find them funny at all. Still, it's a cute and festive book that is well worth the read.
Vicky Phillips
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious!! I literally belly laughed in a cafe sipping a latte reading this! This is a book that I will definitely be reading again even if it's just for a pick me up! Can't wait to read more of her books! If you want a very funny book then this is certainly for you.
carol
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A laugh out loud

What a fantastically, funny story. Real likeable characters that ensured the plot flowed along. I laughed out loud on so many occasions. I will, without doubt be reading more of this author.
Elisa Looby
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book within a few hours. The chemistry between Emily and Evan had me hooked from the beginning and not to mention the humour. I laughed from start to finish. Highly recommend to anyone who wants a festive fun easy read! I’m sad it’s over. Sequel please 😊
Samantha Dew
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will they won't they

Brilliant story. Parents sound crazy and a bit like mine. Always had week of family at Christmas and I loved it. This book is definitely a will they won't they book. Won't spoil it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• 24 goda gärningar
  • The Parisian Christmas Bake Off
  • Två hjärtans karameller
  • Solsken och parmesan
  • Liten tvåa med potential
  • Julia och Jack
  • Christmas at the Beach Café (The Beach Café, #2)
  • Bokcirkeln vid världens ände
  • I fikonträdets skugga
  • Snowed in for Christmas
  • Dan före dan
  • Brevvännerna
  • Söta, röda sommardrömmar
  • Falla fritt (Svärdh & Partners, #1)
  • Bara lite till
  • Villa Havsbris
  • Brutna ben och brustna hjärtan - en alldeles omöjlig jul
  • Blå, blå höstvågor