Start by marking “Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)” as Want to Read:
Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)

Police Brutality

(Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords #2)

For the first time in a long while, Emery Hazard’s life is good. His new business as a private detective is taking off. Things are good at home. He loves his boyfriend, John-Henry Somerset; he loves their daughter. He might even love the new friends they’ve found. There’s only one problem: Somers has been talking about marriage.

When a former colleague, Walter Hoffmeister,
Published January 31st 2020 by Hodgkin and Blount

To ask other readers questions about Police Brutality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Police Brutality

Start your review of Police Brutality (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #2)
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

I finished this book earlier this morning but spent the day thinking on it trying to decide what one word would best express how this author leaves me after every book of his I read. I finally have settled on what that word is. Ready? The word is: GREEDY. GREEDY AF. Why? Because he draws me in with murder and chaos and then throws in this slow burn epic love story that he keeps me on edge waiting for any dribble of intimacy they have. I'm not complaining. Well... not really. Because
Caz
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

I chose The Rational Faculty – the fabulous and compelling first book in Gregory Ashe's second series of novels featuring detectives Emery Hazard and John-Henry Somerset – as my favourite book of 2019. I’ve become addicted to the author’s brand of gritty, complex mystery combined with angsty, equally complex romance, and have been eagerly awaiting the next instalment in the Union of Swords series. The events of Police Brutality take
Joyfully Jay
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Reading a Hazard and Somerset book is an event. The books are tightly written, the detail that links the series is intricately woven, and the world the characters live in is richly developed.

This book picks up shortly after the last book, The Rational Faculty, with Hazard becoming a private detective and Somers still on the force. They also have a home together and are more domesticated than Hazard thought was even possible for himself.

The book is intense as we
Chris
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding read ... these books just keep getting better. I adore Hazard and his OCD / autistic gruff tendencies and Somers who loves him beyond belief. Dulac is starting to warm to me and he adds a little wackiness to the pair - he drives Hazard to all forms of jealousy and madness and certainly adds flavor to Somers as crime fighting partners. Fabulous writing - clever and sharp ...more
Em Wittmann
AWESOME. Love this series and these characters so much.
Lio
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
PER-FEC-TION. as simple as that.
Bev
Not quite as outstanding for me as The Rational Faculty, but still a bl**dy good read. I did pick out the murderer [hopefully] after 55%, and was obviously waiting for Ree to do his thing, weighing up the pros and cons and coming up with the correct answer. 4.5 stars rounded up.

I absolutely LOVED the interactions between Ree, John and Bro-boy himself, Gray Dulac...the snark-o-meter was set from stun to kill in this one...some truly funny moments and Gray was up for all of it. He's still a f**k
Kathee
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible, brutal, beautiful. 5 bold shiny stars

Oh my! This is one of those books that I needed to decompress after reading it, and that's a good thing. It was intense. It was Hazard and Somers, and their deep issues and their even deeper love. I laughed a little and I cried a lot. Poor Emery!

This is the author doing what he does best - a police procedural, a mystery to solve, and solidifying the continuing relationship of these two strong and mighty men. Author's who write series amaze me
ConM
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, crime
Another good read.
Alisa
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it

This was so good. I laughed/cried through the ending. Full review to come
Carol (bookish_notes)
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2020
I AM CRYING HAPPY TEARS. I’M FINE. I’M JUST A LITTLE HIGH ON EMOTIONS RIGHT NOW.

oh my GOD THIS BOOK
peanut•m&ms
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, how chaotic, witty, intense, sweet, scary and clever this read is.

I absolutely love it.
Claudia
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do I need to say that I simply loved it? The case was fantastic, very complex but not unnecessarily convoluted. It begins quite simple: a cop, Walter Hoffmeister asks for Emory help. He is being harassed, and he's afraid for his life. Quickly, things get way more complicated.

A shooting at Emory and John's place, a death that may be or may not be a suicide, suspects with alibies who are keeping lots of secrets, and people who get beat up.

But do you know what's one of the things that I really
Sue~Always Reading~
What an AMAZING book! I love, love, love Hazard & Somerset but I have to admit I’ve hated them each, together and separately, at times. Hazard is so stubborn, his temper needs major help, and his communication skills are shit. Somers has gotten better with his drinking (thankfully) but he eggs Hazard on when he needs to walk away. They are some of the most flawed characters I’ve ever read about but they are also somehow perfect for each other.

I felt like we saw a totally different Hazard at
Dokun888
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Things got heated up XDD

Alright, just to start with, this book felt hotter than other ones and I definitely don't mind that XDD we got some details here and I think it went quite organically with the rest of the plot (instead of cheapening it or reducing relationship to just got stuff).
I also think the author found the humor he wanted for this book so I definitely chuckled more times here than before.
Some points:
Hazard is nuts XDD maybe he should try yoga
Somers like yanking Hazard's chain too
Laurie
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, as always. Watching Somers and Hazard work their way through the twists and turns of their very complicated relationship is always the highlight, but all the other characters are starting to flesh out and really add layers to this series, which takes it to another level. The primary case was good this time, as well. It was simpler than Ashe usually does but the fact that it took fewer convoluted leaps of logic but was still interesting to follow was a plus for me. I didn't mind ...more
Margot
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5
I have a problem with this book.
I loved the plot. The story, the mystery - that was spot on. I would give it five starts.
But Hazard and Somers?
I want to kill them. Really.
Sometimes I have this feeling that they are not good together. That this relationship is just too much for them. That it's turning into something toxic, something ugly. Yes, I know that we hurt people we love, that we know what to say/do to really, really hurt them, and Rebecca already said that in the book. And I know
Shannon
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book. It was amazing. I have been following this series since the beginning and I adore it.
Hazard and Somers are to die for.
Their story is heart wrenching. You thought that Rational Faculty was emotionally fraught?
Well this one has its very highs. (Oh my god, I was thrilled!) and its very lows. I was worried because I even though I know Gregory would never break my heart, he might stomp on it through the course of the book.

The mystery was intriguing and I had hints about the bad guy but
Songsungblue
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
wonderful!

this book has it all! It's so well written, with a tight, twisty mystery, layers of ongoing storylines, absolutely believable characters and a compelling emotional groundswell. I'm so happy Hazard and Somers found each other! They're so real, want the next 15 books straight away! (please?).
Julie
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is filled with conflict and confrontation involving Hazard and Somers-with each other and with other characters, suspects, and witnesses as well as internally. But interspersed among the altercations and self-flagellation are the most exquisite, romantic and real moments between these two. Gregory Ashe's writing and dialogue is phenomenal; this series just gets better and better.
BB
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-ordered, m-m
Hell yes!!!!

Mr. Ashe mentioned in his newsletter, prior to the actual release, that this installment wouldn’t be as heavy as the previous ones. And I’m so glad it was, because Hazard & Somers have been put through the effing wringer, these guys deserve a break once in a while.
Clary
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Compelling mystery and vivid dynamics on the relationship between John and Ree. I cried at the last chapter. This author does it for me. The best book of the year (I know it’s February but I think this may hold up).
Carleigh Leake
I loved this book!

I just can't get enough of Emery and John-Henry! Gregory Ashe is a wonderful story teller and always comes up with surprises. After reading the excerpt for the next book....I can't wait!!!
ari ari ari
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5*
Ralia
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wowwww.... it can’t possibly get more perfect !! Plus , who knew Gregory Ashe had a “weirdtastic sense of humor “?? ...more
Danna Iuliana
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
3.2
Sebastian
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of all the book's I have read Somerset and Hazard are my favourite characters. I love the novels and cannot wait for the next book to come out. All Gregory Ashe's books are five star reads.
Deirdre Ellison
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I love the development of Hazards and Somerset relationship. The cases are always interesting, and this series is just getting better.
Whyhazelwhy
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gdamn it Gregory you’ve done it again!
Jordan
Feb 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Hard Angle (Criminal Intentions: Season Two #4)
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • When Death Frees the Devil (Death and the Devil, #3)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Rialto (Unbreakable Bonds, #8)
  • In Sequence (Criminal Intentions: Season Two #2)
  • Cold Calculation (Criminal Intentions: Season Two #3)
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Risk Assessment (Cabrini Law #1)
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • The Golden Ratio (Criminal Intentions: Season Two #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour, #1)
  • Murder Aforethought (Cabrini Law #2)
  • Dealing in Death (Death and the Devil #2.5)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
I'm a long-time Midwesterner. I've lived in Chicago, Bloomington (IN), and Saint Louis, my current home. Aside from reading and writing (which take up a lot of my time), I'm an educator.

While I enjoy reading across many genres, my two main loves are mystery and speculative fiction. I used to keep a list of favorite books, but it changes so frequently that I've given up. I'm always looking for

Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords (3 books)
  • The Rational Faculty (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords, #1)
  • Transactional Dynamics (Hazard and Somerset: A Union of Swords #3)
“I’m evaluating inconsistencies and presenting them as part of an analysis of my own unreliable interpretation of last night.”
“It’s like poetry when you talk. Some guys probably want to hear about roses and throbbing, uh, parts, but give me a nice evaluation of inconsistencies and analysis of unreliable narratives.”
0 likes
“I know it’s wrong,” Somers said with a sigh. “I know it shouldn’t be so hot. The whole bad-boy-robot-serial-killer thing you do sometimes. It shouldn’t be such a fucking turn-on.”
Hazard cocked his head. “I don’t see why not. Evolutionarily speaking, we’re programmed to respond to evidence of high achievement in potential sexual partners, in hopes of passing those traits to our offspring.”
“That’s right,” Somers said, reaching down to adjust himself and grinning as they pulled into the broken asphalt lot of Slick’s. “Talk dirty to me.”
0 likes